You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Noon Time Knocking

Real Ghost Stories

The Noon Time Knocking

 

This is fairly standard, might be a tad cliche and I am sure people will come up with a handful of ideas of what this might be - but I'm nearly positive the house I live in is haunted. The house was built in the 50s, the kitchen has not been renovated or anything since then. There's three bedrooms, with the bedroom at the end of the hallway is at an odd angle. It is not a straight hallway. There's one full bath and then a half bath in the basement that was added on later. There's also a bar in the basement, and a fireplace. (There's a fireplace upstairs too.) The house is technically a single story, but we live on a hill, so our basement is partially ground level, and then our main floor is ground level. We rent the house from my Aunt's fiance, after we lost my childhood home to foreclosure. This house is my landlord's childhood home. It is probably important to note that my landlord's mother and father are both deceased. Also, all four of my grandparents are deceased.

So, with all that said, I'm going to explain the most recent crazy thing that has happened in this house. My bedroom is right next to the living room, it shares a wall, and my bed is against that wall. Every week day, when I am home, there is a knocking on the front door, which is also against the wall my bed is against. This has just started to happen in the past two weeks. I leave my room and check EVERY door (there's four doors to the outside) and I find absolutely no one. And it's always between 12:00 pm and 12:30 pm. Never at any other time. I'm sitting in the living room today, as I type this at 12:38 and there has been no knocking. I'm starting to think its someone trying to catch my attention or my mother's attention, (Although it has happened when I am home alone, so I am really thinking it's my attention.)

I would say that an animal is a possibility, but how could they, every day, between 12:00 and 12:30, make a knocking noise in the same spot on the house? I don't think that makes too much sense. Thoughts?

Other hauntings by bresys

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bresys, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sarah-E (guest)
 
5 years ago (2019-01-06)
I would be careful, if it is a spirit perhaps it just wants attention, but if it is a malevolent spirit, they will come at you in 3 steps. (1) they will announce their arrival, by knocking on doors, etc (2) They will enter your home invade your space and try to scare you and weaken you (3) if it is their intent they may try to possess you in final stage.
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-16)
UPDATE:

The knocking has ceased when I spend time in the living room. As I am a young adult without a job at the current moment, along with past depression issues and bipolar 2, it's starting to seem like whoever is knocking wants me to spend time outside of my room. Because when I am outside of my room, the knocking fails to happen.

Also, whilst I was camping, my older sister was coming over to watch the cats, she'd come and stay between 12-12:30 and told me the knocking never happened when she was there.
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-08)
Augusta - The house is 80% original, the landlord cut in a door to a porch on the back of the house, but otherwise the house is all original. Pastel pink and brown bathroom, the oven is in the wall, the stove is in the counter and there's this weird cabinet/closet thing in the kitchen that goes over the stairs to the basement that I've pretty much never seen before.

In regards to the basement haunting, I think I'll type that up in another story, because not a lot of it is my own personal experiences, but it's a giant mixture of my family and friends.

I'm actually a little nervous about doing EVP sessions, because while the paranormal intrigues me, I'm also pretty terrified of what I might get. Haha. I have to build the courage up.

Tweed -

I recently went on vacation to Michigan, and while we were out there, it occurred to me that I had two sets of my grandmother's rosary beads, and my mom didn't know about them. I gave my mom a set, I'm fairly sure the knocking is my grandmother, and that it will subside now. The knocking started after I showed my mother the second set of rosaries that I had. It definitely wasn't a negative feeling. It just felt like someone was trying to get our attention in a passive type manner.

SDS -

Thank you for commenting. I will definitely be sharing more experiences. My older sister just told me about one she had recently at my grandmother's grave, which is leading me to firmly believe she is the one who has been doing all of this. Not to mention the comforting feeling I get from the knocking, rather than anything terrifying. I have had scary experiences, and will probably share them another time.

CuriousDee -

The knocking only happens in vacant rooms. One day my mom, dad and I were home and at 12:30, the knocking happened but in my little brother's room rather than the living room, as my dad was sitting in there. Which adds to my... Conviction that it is paranormal over an animal. We do have mice, and I do live in a very rural area, but the knocks come in threes and only between those hours. I have spent some nights up late, when the mice are usually up and moving around in the basement and I never hear that noise. It's led me to be very firm in the belief that this is all paranormal.

Thank you all for commenting. 😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Greetings Bresys,

I almost missed this one... Great account. Going by your narrative, you don't sound frightened, more curious. I was thinking animals too, as some members mentioned. I have had a similar incident happen that turned out to be a mouse (or chipmunk?) in the wall of our garage. A common occurrence in the country. It literally sounds like someone knocking on the wall and had me jumping up every time I heard it. It took awhile before I realized it was a mouse. After a few times of it happening, I put my ear to the wall and finally heard it skittering and scratching around. It also only happened during certain times of the day. Little stinker 😜

However, I've experienced knocking that didn't originate from a furry pest too. The difference was the location (a freestanding cabinet/pantry) and the sound that came from just behind the top door. I tore the cabinet apart and found zero evidence of rodents. The knocking sounded different too; gentle and hesitant. It rarely happens now, but I chalked it up to someone wanting attention or just saying "Hello".

If you're comfortable, maybe try speaking aloud after you hear the knock? As in, "Can you knock again?" Or "Knock twice please", etc. If it is a rodent, you'll find out fairly quickly. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put your ear to the wall and listen for movement, scurrying, etc.

Do keep us updated and thanks for sharing 😊

Dee
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Hi bresys, thanks for sharing. Quite strange. You answered that the knocking started just this month. Initially I thought it was residual haunting and such things keep repeating itself on time. And for seven years if you hadn't heard anything about it, perhaps something wanted to draw your attention. I also feel that it is not harmful in anyway since except knocking, there wasn't anything you experienced. You can try to communicate with them that you acknowledge their presence, but request them not to startle you. Just my suggestion.

May be they would communicate further, if they are your loved ones, who passed on. Share your further experiences in this regard.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-02)
haha Augusta, I thought exactly the same thing while reading about this home, 'WOW please NEVER alter this amazing home ever!'. I'm a mid century tragic too, love it.

Hi Bresys,

Thanks for sharing. We too have a ghost who knocks, a friendly knock to let you know they're there, I assume. However, I've also had experiences with bad knocking, as part of a not nice haunting a few years ago. So I would urge you to follow your gut reactions to this knocking. How does it feel to you, friendly or menacing? Or maybe even neither, or somewhere in between. Try to separate the understandable uneasiness of having a ghostly encounter, and think about what impression you're left with.

Another possibility is an animal. I grew up in Melbourne, Australia with a bunch of wattle birds who would hover around window and door frames, literally knocking at the doors and windows as they collected spiders. Perhaps there's a bird species in your area which does the same. Or you may have a punctual opossum or raccoon.

Our knocker also knocks on various rooms, usually around four in the afternoon. But we've also heard them very late at night. It's rather brisk knocking, sounds cheerful. We think it's a nature spirit. It's been going on about a year now.
My advice, if it feels harmless then it most likely is. Does anyone else hear this knocking? Have they also heard it around the same time?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-01)
First of all, that house sounds like a time capsule DREAM! ❤ Does it have the original appliances? Are the bathrooms pastel? And it even has a basement bar - that is SO cool!...Sorry to gush - I'm sort of a mid-century nut!

As for your knocking mystery. I agree with the others that someone is trying to get your attention. Maybe try meditating around noon and see what comes to you. An EVP session may also be helpful. You may not get results the first time but keep at it and you may get your answers.

I would love to hear more of the man cave ghost!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
bresys, I've had experience with knocking that I believe was my late husband. When I ignored it, it got more frequent and frantic (see this story: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24835). Then one day shortly after it started, it suddenly stopped. I would hang in there. I think you've got someone desperate for your attention. If you can't figure out who it is and what they need, it's likely that it will go away suddenly.

It's going to take some thinking on your part to try and find out what's going on.
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
DandK -

In regards to your questions, I've lived in the rental house with my parents for about seven years now. My landlord's parents died many years ago. His father before I was born and his mother was back when I was a 14, so roughly thirteen years ago.

The most recent death of all has been my maternal grandmother, who I was incredibly close to. She was my mom's best friend and I took care of her in the last few months of her life, as she fought cancer. She died on April 17th, 2017.

It is also a known and accepted fact that my landlord's father haunts the basement, since that's where his bar and man cave were. But the knocking didn't start until just this month.

Melda -

I was originally shrugging it off and joking around with my mother that its just coincidence or something, but now I am taking it very seriously and trying to look into it. The problem is that since I've started to take it seriously, the knocking has been more frequent. Almost a reverse of the norm. I don't think my grandmother passed with any unfinished business, but I really don't know about my landlord's family.

Thanks for the input so far. 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
breysus - DandK has asked you for some very relevant information and I would like to read your reply to that.

Assuming that this is the spirit of one of your passed relatives, or your aunt's fiance's relatives, they might be trying to attract your attention for a reason. How well do you know your family history and that of your aunt's fiance? Did any of them pass with unfinished business? Perhaps you could discuss this with your aunt.

I have found, and I speak only for myself, that if I ignore these signals they tend to escalate in frequency. It might be a good idea to have the house cleansed or blessed.

Looking forward to receiving a response from you.

Regards, Melda
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-28)
Bresys, How long have you lived in the home? Has this knocking occurred since you moved in, or did it just start one day? Also, how long has it been since one of your relatives or a person related to a previous occupant of the house has died?

I can contemplate this issue a bit better with this additional information. I've definitely got some thoughts on your situation.
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-28)
So an update to this story. The activity has within the past two days, actually started to go up in intensity.

Yesterday the knocking happened at 12:03 while I was in the shower. I got out and started to dry off, as I was doing that, there was knocking again. But now it was two feet away from me on the bathroom vanity. It's the first time a knock has happened twice. Let alone right in the same room as me. My mother and I were contemplating, and we realized my grandmother, my maternal grandmother, died at 12:30. She had really started to dive down at Noon. So now... We're contemplating if its her.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: