You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Several Paranormal Encounters

Real Ghost Stories

Several Paranormal Encounters

 

Here are several short paranormal encounters from my young days.

In the 60's in Mauritius, it was safe to walk at night and several families used to enjoy having an "evening out" by going to the pictures and after wandering around town, to have a look at the shops displays and eat hot "Poutou" (kind of cake made from rice).

I was myself a great fan of movies and used to regularly go to the pictures in my town or in the capital, Port Louis.

One evening, a friend and I decided to go watch a movie a Saturday night in Port Louis and afterwards have a walk in town and eat something. It was, I think, close to midnight when my friend and I were sitting on a bench eating some nice hot "Poutou".

After eating, we were chatting when we heard the sound of high heels on the pavement. We saw a very good looking woman coming our way. She was nicely dressed and the way she was walking was, let's say, "inviting". When she walked by our bench, she looked at us with a smile. She was very attractive. She carried on walking and turned her head to look at us again. Being young bachelors, we thought that we got a ticket with the lady and decided to follow her. She was walking towards the area of "la butte". From time to time, she would turn her head and look at us with a smile. My friend and I were getting more and more excited and thought that she was leading us to her place. She was for sure...

We went via an uphill near the market of "la butte" and left the lit area of town. We were now walking in a small road when we saw the woman turn left to a gateway, looking at us with the same inviting smile. We turned into the gateway only to realize that it was the entrance of a cemetery. There was a large alley which was the main path into the cemetery. As we reached this gateway, we could still hear the sound of her shoes on the pavement but she had disappeared. Panic got hold of us and we ran away for our lives (I ran a lot because of ghosts!) We ran back in town with utter fear to finally catch a late transport and get home.

This one happened when I started to work in the sugar factory business. We were in the late 60's. During sugar cane harvest time (twice a year), I would finish very late at night, 4 times a week. This would last for 2 months. I was working on the balance. Lorries would come at the factory and I had to weight their cane load and note all the details in a notebook. I would finish around midnight and would walk back to a house lent to me by the company, not far from the factory. However, I had to walk about 2 to 3 Kms to reach there.

One day, as I was walking back home around 1 am, I saw a light wandering above the canes at a distance, like a motorcycle light. There was like a buzzing sound to it. Then it came to my direction. Obviously it was not an helicopter because it was not doing the sound of one and it was small and flying an erratic way very low above the canes. It came close to me and kind of tried to scare me flying in front of me. I started to run away from it but it continued to taunt me. I eventually took a cane stick in the field and tried to hit it. It avoided my hits but I finally smashed it and I heard a scream and the light just disappeared. I ran home and from that day I was either accompanied or I waited for the transport to get me home.

During that same period, a friend was now walking with me after my first experience. One night as we walked we heard a groan and saw a huge pig on the road. He was looking at us with a mean face. We tried to scare him but he would not move from the middle of the road. You would say that it should be normal seeing a pig in a country such as Mauritius at night but it was not. We don't have wild pigs, only wild boars on the mountains. And the pig was larger than usual. We had to bypass the big by walking in the cane field to reach the road again. Then we saw a white horse in the middle of the road. Strange again. It would just stare at us. We had to cross another field to be back on the road. A bit further, we met with the pig again. It was weird. Did the pig follow us? He was not moving when we saw him the first time. We skirt the pig again in the cane field and much further we met the horse again.

We started to get really scared. It was not normal. We threw cane sticks to the horse but he did not move. We did not know what to do. We started to run through the fields and hearing like a horse and a pig running after us, then in front of us, then on our sides. We spent maybe 3 to 4 hours trying to escape them. We got lost but eventually got back on the main road early in the morning. The horse and the pig had disappeared. We both reached home in the morning. Now try to imagine how ridiculous we were when we told our boss what had happened to us and why we were late the next day.

A last one for the road. This one was my dad's experience. One night, he arrived home sweating and scared. My mum asked him what had happen to him. He said he was walking back from his job (he was a post office officer). Sometimes they had to do an inventory and would come home late.

As he walked by a bridge not too far from our house, he heard a baby's cry. He looked around to discover a baby in his cot abandoned under a tree near the bank of the stream under the bridge. He looked and called for the parents but could not see anyone. He decided to take the baby in his cot and bring him home. He would bring the baby the next day to the police station. He was walking holding the cot when he noticed that it was becoming heavier and heavier. The baby had stopped to cry. At a stage, he could hardly carry the cot. He just put it on the floor. THAT'S WHEN HE HEARD THE BABY TELL HIM TO BRING HIM BACK TO WHERE HE WAS PICKED UP WITH A DEEP MALE VOICE. My dad ran as fast as he could and reached home exhausted. I think he got bad dreams afterwards. I don't know how things ended but eventually, the dreams stopped. I never saw him so scared!

Other hauntings by Cafelelion

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cafelelion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

iveaquarius (9 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-15)
The last story you told reminded me about my country and stories they would tell about the devil transforming into a baby then when a passenger walked by he would hear the cries and pick up the baby and then experiencing the heaviness eventually they would see the baby face and it had horn and it would start to transform into the devil 😨 😨
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Thank you Sue. I will come with more soon for I had countless encounters with the unknown.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
Cafelelion,

You have shared some incredible accounts with us all. Merci!

I would have said that maybe some of the sugar cane had been fermenting and you and your ami had tasted it, but since you both saw the same thing, I believe that is the strangest thing I have ever heard.

Keep the accounts coming to us. You are a very good writer.

Warm regards, Sue
Marypatricia (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
I must agree with sonri. The baby part was the CREEPIEST thing I have ever heard. What happened to you was also a very creepy thing. Your story had to be the best one I've read by far. It's so creepy but so interesting trying to think of what it could have been or why it happened. Thanks for sharing:)
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Hi Brandon,

I was too scared to go and check her tombstone. If you read me other stories, you'll see that sometimes these "people" are not ghosts but witch who "shift" themselves into any living things. Could it ba an animal or an attractive woman.

Cafelelion.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Those were great stories Cafelelion. My favorite one was about the attractive woman. That had to take a lot of energy for her to manifest that long. If you could go back, would you have followed her footsteps to see where they lead to? She could have lead you to her tombstone, and you could have found out some cool information.

JS aka Brandon
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Hi Sonri,

This baby ghost was most of the time kind of pranks to scare people. It was mainly the result of witchcraft. It was not like a ghost or independent entity but always the result of witchcraft or black magic. However, there have been occurrences where some people have turned insane after such encounter.
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Hi LindaG,

The pig and horse are actually results from witchcraft. As incredible and unbelievable it sounds, these animals were actually people (witch doctors). Some people would do the following. They would follow these animals with a particular stick made from a peticular wood (it's called a "pion d'inde" stick). They would suddenly attack these animals with these sticks and throw lentils on the ground. These "animals" had to "count" EACH lentille. This would last until the morning where the "animal" would transform back into a person who would be actually a witch. I never saw that from my eyes but so numerous people (close family, friends, maids, doctors, etc...) told me about this.
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
The story of the baby and the cot was probably the creepiest thing I've read here. Why would a spirit do that? If your father ever saw a helpless baby ever again, I wonder, would he hesitate to help.
There was an account, I read. These people were hearing what sounded like a baby crying, coming from the cemetery near their home. They were too afraid to check it out. Finally, one of them decided to be brave after a day or two of hearing this. Well, they were hearing a baby cry because someone had left a baby in the cemetery. These people lived rather isolated in the mountains, and never found out where the baby had come from; just took it into their home and cared for it like one of their own. Some people don't believe in involving the 'authorities'; I'm one of those people.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Very interesting and spooky stories.
In Mexico, there is a story similar to the one about the baby, but at the end the baby asks "Do you like my teeth?" and the person holding the cot always runs like crazy. 😨

Than you for sharing.
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Wow! My favorite story was the one with the pig and horse. What could that have been? I would have been terrified. You've had a lot of experiences; I hope you have more to tell! Thanks for the stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: