You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Figure In White Dress

Real Ghost Stories

Figure In White Dress

 

I recently worked a double shift at my job, a maximum security psychiatric facility in California. At the end of a long day, I was sitting in the nursing station with another psych tech (orderly) just winding up the swing shift. She mentioned that the last time she had worked that same unit, EB 12, she had been sitting in what we call the Big Dayhall around the same time of the evening, when suddenly a woman in a floaty white dress came in the door, walked up to the television, turned around and just disappeared. She had no facial features that this staff observed, but it also happened very quickly.

The door had been locked up for the night and the patients had all gone to bed for the evening.

The staff had been so upset that she immediately left the room to go sit in the office. She stated that she has never seen any kind of apparition before in her life. According to hospital lore, the EB Building is reputed to be very haunted, most notoriously by a janitor who worked his entire career there before passing away, and is said to give directions only at night to unwary staff members who, unfamiliar with the labyrinthine old building, can become disoriented on their way to their assigned unit. Upon reaching their assignment, they mention the kind janitor who directed them, only to be told that there is no night janitorial staff at all and they have just encountered the famous EB Building spirit.

This building is notorious for numerous suicides and hauntings and there was once a morgue in the basement I believe. Once, I worked overnight in a room that I was told had been the operating room where many lobotomies had been forced on the hapless inmates of decades ago. I have never experienced any supernatural events myself, but it can be creepy in that old place for sure.

In the building I worked in for over 15 years, the N-Bldg, there was an old elevator that used to go up and down by itself frequently. It was worked on and rarely does it anymore. Electrical malfunction? Staff has reported ghosts in that area as well.

Other hauntings by H2olily

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, H2olily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-28)
I don't think I would ever have the nerve to work in a place that has decades of negative energy stored up. You are braver than me. 😢
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-27)
In response to someone's question, I have worked at this facility for over twenty years. Now my position rotates from unit to unit, with varying shifts, AMs, PMs and NOCs we call them. There is one long, dark hallway that has to be monitored all night by a single staff member between Units 10 and 12, that is one of the weirdest places, old flickering, amber lights and worn, yellowed linoleum... Kind of the stereo-typical 'mental hospital' looking place you see on movie sets!
scarlet_island (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
I'm not surprised a psychiatric facility would have paranormal activity because of the horrible history they have. During my psychiatric clinical rotation, I had to go to the local mental health hospital and always felt strange in there. Like a very strange tension/anxiety. I guess so much sorrow and suffering has a permanent effect on a building.
I too have seen a full white figure in dress without facial features and it was a terrifying experience.
Thanks for posting your story. It was an interesting read. ❤
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Wow! I am sure this would be a place that could have a lot of paranormal energy attached to it. Lobotomys, cruel punishment, etc. Just curious... How long have you worked there? If I were you I would get a journal and express in it the different occurences that you and the other staff have witnessed. Be interesting to say the least.

Zeta.
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
Yes, Shell, that's why I don't don't understand "ghost-hunting". If they want to show up they will, when one least expects it. I will try to find someone who knew the janitor and can tell me more for another story. If he left any energy I hope it was because he was happy there. It's not a bad place to work if one leaves work behind them at the end of the day.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-02)
It's funny how some people go their whole lives just itching to see a ghost or witness the paranormal and never experience a thing. Meanwhile this poor staff member who was probably more than happy to never see a ghost gets a full and scary sighting!

I can only imagine what sort of residual energy would remain in a building like that with such history. Obviously the Janitor enjoyed his job when he was alive and has stayed in a place that made him happy.

Thanks for sharing

😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
H2olily, I agree with Lakota73. I feel that the activities could be residual and further think that there would be no harm caused by these entities. But ask your friend to be brave and you too.

Thanks for sharing. Nice narration.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
She still seemed a little scared when she told me. "That's why I came to sit in the office right now," she said and pointed through the window into the big dayhall. I think she was glad that me and the other staff in the nursing station believed her and were matter-of-fact and accepting of her experience. I'll ask her about it again when I see her if she's not still too upset. Yes, terrible things have happened in that place and are happening. I try to be a positive force.
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
How upsetting for your colleague.
Unfortunately for the inmates during this era, a lot of terrible practices took places in the name of medicine.
The spirits many of your colleagues encounter could be residual or just trying to let people of today know how traumatic their supposed care was; of course we already know.
I know some of you may be washed with sadness when in this building, but I doubt these spirits mean anyone any harm. They already know how terrible human nature can be sometimes.
Interesting story.

Lakota73 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: