You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Plantation Presence

Real Ghost Stories

A Plantation Presence

 

I am just a normal, average, every-day American teenager. I was 17 at the time of my encounter. I won't pretend like I'm someone that has seen or had many experiences with ghosts or spirits in my life. This is my first and only paranormal experience. I had always been somewhat skeptical about "paranormal" events. So here is my story.

My family and I went on vacation to Williamsburg, Virginia. We were staying on a time share facility that was once the land of Native Americans (waaaayyy back in the day). After the Native Americans left, or were forced to leave, the land it became a southern plantation, home to rich white families and slaves for generations.

The time share land now has a bunch of little condos, a fitness center, tennis courts, and pools as far as the eye can see. However, the original plantation house still sits proudly in the center of it all. The house has electricity and running water and is open to the people staying in the time share. You can go inside and look around a bit during certain times of the day.

My mother and my sister went to look at the house without me about halfway through the vacation just to check it out. They came back extremely freaked out about how the house was haunted. Not believing a word they said made them take me to the house to check it out. As soon as you walk into the house you have the staircase in front of you and a little hallway to the left of it. On your immediate right is a sitting room with a heavy wooden door that was open. On your immediate left was a dining room closed off by a heavy wooden door. My sister was staying outside because she was too freaked out to go back inside. There was a little table with a card on it that had answers to frequently asked questions about the house. The very last one on the card was "Is this house haunted?" My mom told me to read it aloud. I read the answer aloud since we were alone in the house. The answer said that it had been confirmed by several psychics and the TAPS team. As I finished reading the answer aloud the heavy wooden door that was completely closed to my left turned the knob and swung open. My mom freaked out and left the house. I stayed long enough to see that no windows were open and there was no way to open the door. My interest peaked, we decided to go on the ghost tour (also my first ghost tour).

During the ghost tour (which was mostly just history lessons about the house and the property) we left one of the rooms upstairs and the guide directed us to go into the library. I was the first person into the hallway and would have been the first one into the library but while we were in the other room, the previously open door had been closed completely and I was a bit surprised. The other people around me seemed to be having the same realization and we were all kind of hanging back from it. When the guide came out of the other room looking confused as to why we were all still in the hallway I pointed out that the door had closed, apparently of its own accord since we were the only people in the house. As I said this the door opened by itself. The guide simply shouted, "Thank you, Eliza!" and walked in to continue the tour.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kmcgr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kmcgr (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-02)
I figured out the name of the place! It's called The Historic Powhatan Resort in Williamsburg Virginia
kmcgr (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-02)
Very sorry guys but I actually have no idea what the place was called. The one distinguishing thing I remember about the house is that it had a civil war cannon ball stuck in the side of the chimney near the top. The plantation house and maybe a barn were the only original buildings on the land. The land is a time share business where people can go for vacation and they just decided to leave the house there because it held so much history and was so pretty. I do know that there have also been many people staying on the time share that have seen people dressed in period clothing and "acting out" a funeral scene on the grounds of the house but when they asked the employees when the next reenactment would be they were informed that the resort did not have any reenactments. There are also reports of a woman wearing white that walks around the property at night, and a civil war soldier.

NISHABOO1, I didn't go on a ghost tour of the town it was simply a ghost tour offered at the house by one of the employees at the time share place that we stayed. The guide was one of the few who felt comfortable and safe in the house and liked Eliza.

RITWIK, I don't know what TAPS stands for exactly but they are a group of paranormal investigators that have a television show. They go all over the country to investigate the paranormal activity and apparently their investigation of this house lead them to conclude that the property and the house was haunted.
NishaBoo1 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-29)
I believe I went on the same tour you did because just a year ago, I also vacationed in Virginia. My family decided to visit Willamsburg and we went on a ghost tour. I don't quite remember walking into any buildings, but I do remember a story about a ghost named Eliza. Sadly, I cannot remember anything from the story. All I know is that it was about a ghost named Eliza.

Now if only you could tell me what year this happened because I only rememebr walking through the streets while the tour guide talked to us and explained some stories that happened in a few of the buildings. Maybe the tour has been modified and visitors are no longer able to enter the buildings.

Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
ritwik (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-27)
dear kmcgr,

You said that the house is haunted and confermed by psysics and TAPS. I am sorry, but who TAPS are?

Respectfully ritwik
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-27)
OMG! What house is this?! I must know, because it would be an amazing place to check out!
owensnee1 (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-09-27)
Very interesting story kmcqr! Now, I may present a little bias when I say this because I'm from Virginia but I don't care: it's got to be one of the most haunted places in the world! Considering all the things that have taken place within the last few centuries, it would have to be. From the Native American period to the Revolutionary War, to the horrific battles of the Civil War. Not to mention the disgusting institution of slavery. A lot has happened there! I actually grew up not far from where you had your experience. May I ask what plantation that was?
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-09-26)
I guess your guide was a believer. Having been a docent myself in a museum, I know that strange things just seem to happen in old buildings.

Eventually, people who work in old buildings learn to live with them. They accept the presence of "others."

The museum I worked in was supposedly haunted, too, but I never experienced anything scary except I always felt I was not alone, even when I was.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: