You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Dripping Wet Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Dripping Wet Shadow

 

This takes place at a house, which was my mom's boyfriend's at the time, in Phoenix. I was lying on the couch in the living room talking to my girlfriend on the phone. The living room was connected to the kitchen by a small 5' x 10' area, which I'm guessing was supposed to serve as a dining room, but the space was left empty for as long as I lived there except for the 2 bar stools at the counter.

The Twirler

While on the couch and the kitchen behind me, I was staring at the wall in front of me while I talked. Out of no where, a shadow of a person went from right to left and startled me enough to make me turn around as fast as I saw it. Nothing or no one was there. The back and front doors were locked and the only person in house besides me was my older sister Kelly, but she was in the master bedroom talking on the other line in the house to her boyfriend who was currently in Nevada for work. I knew it wasn't her, because when I realized no one was there behind me I went straight to the room to ask her if she had just came out, but she was still lying in bed talking on the phone. I asked if she just went out there but she said she hadn't. I shook my head and let it go. Thought to myself I was just seeing things.

I went back out into the living room and sat down on the couch for a little while until I got off the phone. When I hung up, I shut off all the lights in the front of the house and went to the bedroom to hang out with my sister. Wasn't long until my sister started asking questions. She said it sounded like someone was picking up the phone somewhere in the house then hanging it up. Didn't take long for us to get creeped out. She told her boyfriend she'd call him back in a little bit because she wanted to see what was up with the line. Right after she hung up she picked the phone back up to hear a dial tone, but every time she hit a number another number would be pressed that she didn't dial. That went on for a while. We couldn't dial out and neither of us had a cell phone.

The only thing we could do was sit in the room with the door locked trying to figure out how we're going to get out of the house or get a hold of someone. We didn't want to go out the window. We felt somewhat secure in the room behind a door that's locked. After so long though, you can only switch to plan b. Plan b was for me to slowly exit the room, quietly make my way down the hallway and peek around corner where the only other phone for that line was. The best weapon we could find was the metal pipe that connects to an old school vacuum cleaner.

She slowly unlocked the door, which was frightening at the time, and I crept out of the room. Walking down the hallway I would stop periodically to listen for noises. Didn't hear anything, so I proceeded further to the end of the hallway. I didn't see anyone by the front door or the family room, but then a noise of hundreds of drips of water hitting the carpet was in the direction towards the phone. I turned my head and saw the shadowy figure in the dark, standing there right next to the phone and it looked as if it was reaching out towards me. I ran incredibly fast back to the room and slammed the door shut and locked it in panic. We didn't know what to do other than pick up the phone and try to call the police if we could get through. Took a few tries because the extra numbers kept dialing, but within a minute or so of trying we finally got through.

The police showed up and we met them at the front door. Yes, we booked it pretty damn quick to get to it. The police came in, we turned on the lights and found the back arcadia door was open about 5 inches. It was shut and locked when I left that room. They stayed with us until we packed up and got out of there to stay elsewhere for the night. My mom and her boyfriend were having a night out and staying at a hotel so we were kind of house sitting while they were gone.

I've had other experiences in this house, too. One of which the cops were called 3 times, the third time they brought the helicopter. Never found anyone. We were going to call a fourth time but we grabbed our shoes and baseball bats instead and ran down the street. After about 50 yards I turned around and saw a man standing in the front lawn looking at us. I just kept running. My mother also caught an apparition in a picture looking through the window staring at us. You can see the detail in the persons face. Cheek bones, glasses, goatee and half a body. I'll post it on here if I can.

Other hauntings by ryanrowe82

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ryanrowe82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vonakrolinas (1 posts)
 
4 months ago (2024-01-04)
Since nobody seems to know this, or wanted to say this, B.S! Might have been believable until the helicopter. The police do not send out the helicopter because of some scared kids. Nice try, though. Also, that "ghost" in the picture could be literally anything other than a ghost.
stormangel (3 stories) (55 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-02)
Oh that's very creepy, its very interesting what has been mentioned about water being near where you had this happen, I seen a big muscular humanoid shaped being, but it seemed to have a lumpy shiny coating, I was in my cot and didn't know anything about anything, just eating, sleeping and pooping was my main job. Its strange, I used to call him the mud-man when I could talk properly, I screamed my lungs out, my aunty came, it walked slightly around her as she was already in the room, it left. BUT the thing I remember was there was a muddy, watery river, didn't flow much as the mud was always too much, later years when I was 5/6 myself and my cousins used to walk the 'plank' over this bog, I too have wondered if it was an actual shadow person, whatever they may be, or somebody who fell in and got caught up in the gloop. Another cousin seen the same form; I found this out when I was 17 and it made my skin crawl. Love the way you acted loony with it, I think that's funny. Yeah maybe it was trying to call for help, or trying to scare the sh*t out of you. Glad thers been a connection with water though 😁
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-14)
ryanrowe82,

This is one creepy story! Although it gave me shivers, I had to smile at the part where you called the police.

I, too, once called the police when myself and my family all heard an horrific crashing and banging noise coming from our bathroom; crying, I swore someone had broken in through the dodgy window. When the police came to investigate, no one had broken in and nothing had fallen!

Thanks for sharing,

Lakota73 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-14)
ryanrowe,
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking perhaps it was the spirit of someone possibly washed away in one of our monsoons. But now that you mention there was a pool there I am thinking something completely different. The dark shadow guy, dripping wet. Using the phone to maybe call 911 himself? This could be a moment in time event, him reliving this moment repeatedly, hoping at one point to get it right and come out of his supposed nightmare? You know how it is said that some spirits don't realize they have passed? Maybe he is one of those.

Jav
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-14)
Javelina:

I don't recall the time of year this was. The only thing I remember after we had left the house was we went to our friends house in Tempe, who was amazingly still awake. Both my best friend and hers. They're brother and sister. There's no ditch or anything like that around. He had bought the house many many many years before he met my mom, so nothing recent happened in that house. We did have a swimming pool, but the pool is literally 3 feet from the window of the room we were in, so if someone was in it we definately would have seen them, also considering they didn't have blinds or curtains on the window at all at the time. Wasn't storming either. Was a pretty crazy night. I talked to my friend a few days ago, who is my mom's boyfriend's daughter, and was telling me about some of the crazy things that happened to her while she lived there. I guess he sold the house a few months ago, so there's no going back to investigate, and I'd LOVE to go back and investigate.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-13)
ryanrowe,
Finally! Someone finally did something smart here. So many other stories that I've read have had me asking the person why they never thought of calling the police. At least rule out it being an intruder first before you jump into the paranormal for your answers. You have restored my faith, thank you.
Now, I am wondering about this dripping wet shadow guy. I live in Tucson so the questions I ask will be a little different from the others.
~Is there a dry riverbed near the house, or a ditch? One that gets flooded during the monsoons and flows fast enough to carry a man away?
~When you were trying to use the phone, was there a storm going on outside? You know the kind I mean, lightening and thunder?
~Do you recall what time of year this occurred with the wet shadow man?
I think you know where I'm going with these questions. So I'm wondering if you could check online for the emergency services log sheet from that general time of year but a few years before your mom's ex moved in? See if someone had been swept away during one of monsoons near that house, or if one of the previous residents had. It doesn't have to be summertime either. We get pretty good rain in January too.
Just a thought. But let me know if you find anything.

Jav
PeachyPumpkins000 (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
Interesting story! However, you do over react a little... I would have probably done the same things you did, so please don't think I'm trying to offend you. I can get insanely frightened when I her about stuff like this.
Just a few questions: Do you still live in the house? Has the spirit harmed you in any way?
When you told me that this figure was standing in your yard (I assume he was watching you) as you were frantically running down the street, it makes me think that he was a little confused, maybe even insulted. You mentioned that you have called the police several times before. I would find that a little rude to the spirit, but like I said, I most likely would have done that as well.
I'm not here to criticize your story, just share my thoughts. 😊
I enjoyed reading it and thanks for sharing. ❤
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
I just sent the picture to the webmaster, so it should be up soon. He ghost is in the window by the way. Notice the mist around us, too. It's said that this ghost is father of the man cooking in the kitchen. It was his birthday afterall, and the photos of his dad look just like the ghost in the window. I'm the one holding the guitar.
Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
Would like to read more about your other experiences in this house and please post that picture.
Tenelen (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
I would love to see the picture your mother captured! Please post it as soon as you have the chance! 😁
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
I have no way of getting a history on the house. My mom's ex's daughter lives there now, so I can call and ask her if sh'es noticed anything or knows anything about the house. This WAS a really scary moment for me though. Still to this day I don't know if it was reaching out for me or if it was pointing at me. Hope I'll never know.
lozlady (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
Wow, that's intense. And HappySpirit, that's a really good thought. It's always a possibility.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
Very creepy! I also wonder if anyone passed away in that house. Would be interesting to know the history of the property. Thanks for sharing!
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
That's a rather creepy story! Is there any way you can get any background history on the house? Am wondering if someone died trying to make a phone call out (after coming out of the shower) and they keep replaying their last moments.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: