You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Kelly's Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Kelly's Apartment

 

This story took place in December of 2004 at my sister Kelly's apartment in Mesa, AZ.

My whole family has dealt with the paranormal for all of our lives, but my sister Kelly and I have had the most experience with it. She had recently broken up with her boyfriend and had been living alone for a good month by this time. Needing company she invited us, my girlfriend Tamrah and I over to her place to hang out.

Now, Kelly had already told me she had something new in her apartment, and where it came from, she hadn't a clue. She told me that one day she came home from work and walked straight into the kitchen to put her purse and coat on the counter as she usually does when she gets home. She ran a bath and got in for a little bit. When she got out, after doing whatever a girl does when she's done bathing, she went into the kitchen to get a drink. To her surprise her purse was sitting in the middle of the floor in the kitchen. Nothing fell out, it wasn't on it's side, it was sitting normally on the kitchen tile. This wasn't the only time this happened to her, but it was her first in this place.

She's also had other things mysteriously end up exactly in the middle of the floor, like a bowl, a glass, mainly things you would find in a kitchen.

So back to my story. We went over there late afternoon and did the usual, hang out outside and smoke and talk and play a little bit of Dance Dance Revolution. We're nerds, I know. We got into the conversation about the happenings in the apartment. My girlfriend was a little freaked out, but we were able to get her more excited than afraid somehow, so we turned off all the lights and tried to get it to do something. Demands and questions for a good 30 minutes but nothing ever came of it.

We turned the lights back on and decided to go another route. We took a tube of my sister's chapstick and placed it on the tile, almost exactly an inch away from the grout in each direction in the corner of the tile piece. We told it that it obviously likes to move things, then it should move the chapstick. We waited in the living room for a while, but it didn't move.

While in the living room talking, I was telling them about a creepy house not too far down the street. The front of the house was wrapped in a screen and two lion statues on pedestals. The creepy lion statues. One of my friends had the key to the house, which was for sale, because she was good friends with the realtor and would help with open houses. The realtor had told my friend that 6 people died in the house since it was built. So, being a creepy story and all and it being not too far down the road, they took interest in the story, so we hopped on the internet to try and find the house. Since I didn't have the address, we couldn't find a thing. Not even a death story, which is what we were more interested in anyways.

I decided to take a drive and get the address since it was only about 10 minutes away. Before we left we picked up the chapstick off of the floor and set it back on the counter. We had been about 30 minutes. As soon as we got back all 3 of us went straight to the bedroom, and of course I had to glance at the chapstick to make sure it hadn't moved on it's own, but it was still on the counter. We typed in the address in Google and started our search.

Tamrah asked if we wanted a drink. She got up, walked out of the room, and not even 2 seconds later from her walking around the corner into the hallway she screamed and ran back in the room yelling "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!" Scared the crap out of my sister and I! Of course we're starting to freak out now and we're like "What?! What?!". With her eyes wide open and her hand over her mouth and she just said, "Go look!"

Kelly and I walked out of the room, slowly looked around the corner into the kitchen and found the chapstick lying on the floor, on the same tile, in the same position we had put it in before. I'm talking the same distance we measured earlier that night. I thought it was Tamrah that had done it at first, but then I realized she had JUST walked out of the room. There's absolutely NO WAY she could have done that in the 2 seconds she was gone. It took me about 10 to 15 seconds to just position the round tube on the tile floor so it wouldn't roll and be an inch away from each side. This is when I knew my sister wasn't bull crapping me about this ghost.

Other hauntings by ryanrowe82

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ryanrowe82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
That was one of my hesitations. I don't want to get in trouble with the owners for publicly putting their address out there.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
I don't think posting the address of a home on a public forum is a good idea, in fact we discourage it... There may be people living there who don't want or deserve the attention... Thanks guys! 😊
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
I'll see what I can do. It's a ways from where I live, but Ill see if I can get back down there to get the address. Marla doesn't live by there anymore, so I can't call her and ask and I'm sure she doesn't remember the address. It's been a long time.
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
ryanrowe, is there any way you could give us the address of that murder house? Would love to check it out on the net! X
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
We've dealt with spirits our whole lives, at this point we're not afraid. We know when and when not to do certain things. It's kind of a game for us.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Your attempts at communicating with this unknown entity are ill-advised. Asking it to communicate and perform tricks is every bit as dangerous as using a Ouija board. Don't be surprised if the activity ramps up. You may have issued an invitation to something more sinister than you realize.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Wow that place should be named the "House of Death" Yikes! I would't want to live there either. If you do come across any other information or get some people together to do an investigation, please let us know. Thanks 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
ryanrowe,

Thank you for your reply... The timeline you are now relating is clear and makes sense. I just wish it had been made that clear in your original submission.

Thanks again.

Respectfully,

Rook
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Hey Rook,

Let me clear this up. The conversation in the livingroom was between my sister, my girlfriend and I, at my sisters apartment. When I said in the comments that I was with a group of people and we were going to stay the night at that house, we were all at a bar, on a different night before the night at my sisters house, and we were all trying to figure out what we were going to do after the bar. Marla happened to be with us that night and told all of us about the house, it's history and that she had a key. We were seriously going to stay the night there, but some people chickened out and it never happened. Then, either days or weeks later, can't remember how long in between, the story at my sisters comes into play. I didn't know the address and wouldn't dare call Marla as late as it was, I had to go get the address myself. I had told my sister the info that Marla gave me and our friends and it got her interested in researching the house on the internet, but without an address we couldn't do that. So, the main story, aside from my comments, the only people in my main story are my sister, my girlfriend and I, no one else.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
ryanrowe82,

Great explanations... Wonderful writing skills but...but, and maybe it's just me, BUT the impression I got from a statement in your original submission was that you were with a group of friends and that the individual with the key was present AT THAT TIME... And that your 'story' was going to be about how you and your friends went to investigate this home because of the stories surrounding it. (This is the statement)

"While in the living room talking, I was telling them about a creepy house not too far down the street. The front of the house was wrapped in a screen and two lion statues on pedestals. The creepy lion statues. One of my friends had the key to the house, which was for sale, because she was good friends with the realtor and would help with open houses."

Instead we were regaled with the 'moving' chap stick container. (Strange to be sure... But not what I was expecting) Now in the comments you say this...

"There was a bunch of us that were going to stay the night in that house, since Marla, my friend, had the key. There were 6 deaths in the house, which is what struck my sisters interest to search it on the internet."

Your 'teasing' us... I got the impression from your original submission that the person with the key was present that night... The night you just did internet research because no one had the address to this property... Now of course NO ONE has access to the property. So thank you...

Not sure what caused the chap stick to move... Thank you for your answers...

Respectfully,

Rook
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
HAHA! Be sure not to lose it, you just might find it exactly where you put it! There was a bunch of us that were going to stay the night in that house, since Marla, my friend, had the key. There were 6 deaths in the house, which is what struck my sisters interest to search it on the internet. Marla even said that during the first open house there was a photo album of the couple who died last in the house sitting on the table in the back yard. How creepy is that?! A child died there, a baby and the mother, a man and the couple. Marla's friend, the realtor, told her that not long after someone moves in, they move out. That's the reason why Marla had the key. Was too demanding for the realtor to drive all the way there all the time for open houses. So she gave Marla the key after she said she would do the open houses for her. I have yet to find more history on the house on the internet.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Dragonstorm, LOL! I just used mine and made sure it was still in my purse. 😁 😉
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
That would be cool ryanrowe! I look forward to see if anything comes up in your pictures 😊

Cosmo you know I keep checking on my chapstick on my bedside table since reading this story now 😆
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
It has been known that ghosts don't always perform on command, so it's not surprising that it chose not to move the chapstick until it was unexpected. So, did you ever get a chance to go over to the house and check it out?
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Ill drive by it sometime this week and take a picture of the front of the house so you guys can see it.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
[at] Wiz ~ I certainly wasn't trying to put ideas into anyone's head, I'm sure it COULD look like that on some level, it just seemed the most logical reason in my opinion as to why you wouldn't ring or txt someone, I know my friends that have kids and have demanding jobs have a 9pm cut off contact point unless it's an emergency, but not all people are the same with their rules on stuff like that I guess.

[at] ryanrowe ~ Thank you I will have a look at that at some point 😊
Wiz (23 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
[at] rookdygin

Good point, although O/P commented after that, it seems that DragonStorm80 put the idea of too late to call out there if you know what I mean. Afterall we have text, email, BB and all that stuff so I have to agree with you on this one. Well spotted!

Wiz
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
My sister has moved a lot since then. It's been years since she's been at that complex, so I won't have any updates. She does have things happen to her still in her new places. Check out Linda, Kelly and Savannah, a story I posted about what still goes on with my sister.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Thank you for the explanation, I know when myself and my friends get those "spur of the moment" ideas the timing to phone others doesn't seem right 😆

Has anything else happened, since this story, in your sisters apartment? Or have different things besides objects being moved happened?
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
It was around 11pm when I decided to get the address. My friend would have killed me if I called that late considering I would have woke her kids. The house wasn't on the same street that she lived on, but you could see the house from her front yard as it was on the corner of a street about 50 yards from her house. She had told me about the 6 deaths that occured in the house, which is what got me interested. That's when she told me she had a key because she was helping her friend, which is how she learned about the deaths. So, Rook, when I say it was down the street, I'm talking a couple of miles, I couldn't call because it was too late and at the time the only way to get the address was to drive there and get it. So just because my friend has the address doesn't mean there's any reason for me to know it. If I wanted to see it then I could have just called my friend, therefore having no reason to memorize it's address. Unless, of course, it's too late to call her...
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Hmmm how odd your sister seems to have a playful trickster around her.

Sometimes the energy from adolescents, or women/men with high hormonal levels can produce poltergeist activity, is a very common "theory" that seems to fit into this story for me.

But of course that's just my take on this one, has there been anything else happen since this story?

I am also somewhat curious that if your friend was a realtor, could you not have phoned them to ask for the address? Or was there a situation of the time being too late etc?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
ryanrowe,

Let me get this straight...

You knew of a scary house; Not to far down the street; Your friend had a key for the front door because she helped a Realtor with open houses; But you didn't have the address to conduct an internet search for the property until you took a drive to get it?

Really? REALLY?

I do not mean to be rude, but something about that 'portion' of this submission does not add up to me.

Respectfully,

Rook
ryanrowe82 (7 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-05)
It wasn't really scary for me or my sister. What was scary was my girlfriend screaming unexpectedly. Windows weren't open either. It was december and cold. This stuff only happened in the kitchen and the likely hood of it landing in the same exact spot, same distance from the grout and everything, one in a million. Plus there's no reason for it to just fall off the counter. No noise either. We would have heard it fall. Was pretty tripy. I thought it was cool that after, god only knows how long, it finally responded. Doesn't surprise me since the same type of thing happened to my sister a few times in the kitchen with her purse.
Crestal126 (74 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-05)
Well I don't see how the chap stick on the floor could be that scary, but it must of been. Did you here a noise? Was a window open? If it was open, then maybe a 'strong bit of air brushed it of, and landing in the same spot...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: