You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Sick Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Sick Man

 

Hello, I'm ©Œnter¢o®€. This happened to me way back in eighth grade (I'm about to graduate now). One might classify this as sleep paralysis, or a dream, or hallucination, or whatever. But it certainly was much more.

I was lying on the couch in my family room one day. It was a calm day, no storms, no rain, just sunny weather, and my TV was on. The volume wasn't too high; I was sort of trying to fall asleep at the time. But anyway, I found myself unable to move suddenly. I knew I'd briefly fallen asleep. I tried to get up, but not only did I feel bound to the couch, but I also felt a weird sensation that something was watching me. I know it sounds weird to say, it didn't FEEL like a hallucination, but it didn't. I truly had that odd feeling of another presence nearby, and I was the only one home.

As I laid there, it didn't take long before I heard a weird coughing in the living room (I was in the family room). I could move my eyes, and definitely open them somewhat widely, as far as sleep paralysis goes. I started to notice a shadow making its way along the linoleum floor, creeping its way to the beginning of the carpet of the family room. The light over the dining table was on, as was the kitchen light, where the shadow was casting away from. Before anything else could happen, I was fully awoken as the phone rang. I shot up off the couch, rubbed my eyes, and ran to the phone, not thinking about what had just happened.

As soon as I got to the phone I noticed something odd about the caller i.d. It displayed an odd number I knew it couldn't be a phone number. But I picked it up, and put the receiver to my ear. "Hello?" I muttered. I heard a weird static, like the kind you hear when the person on the other end isn't saying anything and it's just that static buzzing. "Hello?!" I called again. This time, I heard a voice breathe in, about to speak. "Your day will get weird." I heard a raspy, scooby doo-villain type voice say. Then a weird clicking sound, almost like they had hung up. I heard two more clicks, and as I was about to hang up, "Now it becomes weirder..."

I was too puzzled to speak, so I listened for a moment longer. I heard more rustling like the caller was messing with the phone cord or something. Then, more quickly than the previous line, He/She/It said "Now it gets entirely bizarre..." And then I heard more rustling, and then another voice join it, and they both sort of groaned, and then one (the more 'normal' one) said "That's about how he said it in the movie, right?" Then, "Quite so."

Then, almost immediately, the only sound was the dial tone. I slowly set down the phone and looked around a little bit. Just a dream, right? Well, I wasn't sure. You know when you're awake and when you're dreaming. In a dream, you can't fully comprehend the world around you. Strange and unexplainable things happen. In real life, when you're awake, you just know it. I was not dreaming. But then I checked the caller i.d., and gasped. That call hadn't been recorded in the caller history thing.

I heard yet another weird sound upstairs. It was that same coughing I'd heard previously. It sounded sick, as though whoever it was was about to vomit. I gained a little bit of courage and made my way to the stairs in the big living room. My mom was at work, and my dad lived in Denver (we lived in Castle Rock, CO). Obviously though, I was not alone. It felt like forever before I got to the top of the stairs and looked around for whatever it could have been that made the coughing sounds I'd heard. It would have made sense to guess that someone was playing a prank on me, but I had no friends back then (or enemies), so this baffled me. I detected no sign of intrusion anywhere in the house. All the doors and windows were locked, no broken glass was anywhere, and the basement door was always closed and locked.

I briefly looked in my mom's room, and after I concluded it was empty, I crossed the small hallway into the laundry room. It was barely big enough for one person, and quite dark. No way anyone was in there. The only option left was to search my room, and the guest room, which sat on either side of the laundry room, and were both connected by a long bathroom. I heard two feet shifting somewhere. I thought against going into the guest room, as in my childhood I'd always felt an odd presence in that room (that's another story). But then I wondered if that same presence had materialized as a ghost. I immediately scolded myself for such an outlandish thought. But then it almost seemed like something - some voice, or force, was answering my thoughts. I crept into the guest room and searched around. I didn't feel as strong of a presence now as I always had, but it was definitely there.

The room was as it had always been - the made bed, not used for over six years, the dusty bookshelf littered with remnants of the good old days, and a small blue shelf with a lamp. Then I looked to the bathroom door. Now, until then, I'd always thought I'd heard strange sounds coming from the guest room and the bathroom anytime I'd be near it. However, my mom never said anything about it. I may never know if she HAD heard these things or not, but I know I did. The guest room had once been my sister's when she lived with us. After she moved out I always sensed that weird presence in there. Now, as I crept for the bathroom door, I got a weird chill that ran through my body. Not one of excitement, but of a sudden and unexplainable fear.

I drew nearer and nearer, until my teeth were almost chattering. I had never felt like this before. The house was like 50° that day, and it was summer. I'd been uncomfortably warm all day, and all week. I slammed my eyes shut, swallowed, opened my eyes again, and looked into the bathroom, to find... Nothing unusual. The light shone in from the small rectangular window, the bathtub shined, the sink on the other end of the room was calm (sometimes it dripped for no reason), and overall the weird sensation seemed to go away. What was that all about!? Wait a second, something was odd.... First I went to the mirror to make sure nothing was weird about me. Nope, nothing weird at all. I just stared at my reflection for a moment, then turned, as a weird sound emanated from the tub.

The sound of a small piece of something hitting the tub floor caught my attention. Then two more. Then the sound of a bigger piece clattered to the floor. Then three more mid-sized ones. I turned and peered around the side of the half-wall that separated the two sides of the room. What the hell? The tile wall was crumbling away. A big chunk of the wall was gone, right toward the corner. Soon, a piece fell away, revealing a small hole. Then more around it fell off, increasing the size of the hole. I stepped back, prepared to defend myself. But a few minutes passed, and the crumbling ceased. When all seemed calm enough, I slowly took a step toward the tub.

I stepped into the tub and kept my gaze on the hole, afraid to look away in case it was a hallucination and would disappear. I blinked. It was still there. I reached up to touch the edges, and it was definitely not my eyes playing tricks on me. I peered inside the pitch black hole, and suddenly I watched as a pale white arm swept across the hole from the other side. It was like someone was standing on the left side of the hole, against the wall, and had scratched their cheek or something, and that was their arm lowering back to their side. That's the best way to put it. Afraid to look inside any closer, I backed up. I heard the person right there breathe out, and instead of running, I angrily said, "What do you want?" But nobody answered. In fact, that weird feeling that I was accompanied by a presence suddenly lifted. I moved up to the hole and prepared to stick my head in and look around. But pain shot through my head as it hit solid wall. I shut my eyes in pain and rubbed the spot, then looked up. The hole was gone.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

chria29 (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-08)
I'm new to this site, but I'm very impressed with your writing! You really gave a clear picture and kept me guessing like I was really there! Keep it up, on the side note though (considering you were writing about a real experience) I think you lived in a haunted house of some sort. Your sister probably had experiences too. Perhaps you could ask her about it.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Without reading any other comments yet, I have to say that this reminds me of the wall in the back of my closet in my bedroom growing up. My mother mentioned to me that once she'd measured the dimensions of all the rooms in our house, she realized there was enough space between their bedroom and mine to fit three coffins. 😕 THANKS, MOM. Furthermore, since the innermost portion of our house was constructed in the early 1900s and there had been at least two more add-ons, she could only access one of our attics. That's right, the other two had been completely sealed. And finally, there were all sorts of tunnels under the house (for the pipes, of course), and they actually got gradually smaller as you worked your way from the south to the north end. She almost got stuck underneath once when she went to investigate for a leak. I offered to go for her and she screamed no.

Ugh.::shudders::
Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
(Sorry!) One more thing I heard, When stuff like that happens (the weird hole in the floor) they (I forgotten whom told me this!**) They said the "spirit" or whatever it is, is trying to tell you their body is under there, or where ever it is. (under the floor, in the ground*. Blah Blah Blah*) ...
Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
One more thing, I am new at this... I heard a previous story that is unlike yours, there was a woman in the 1900's she had 2 grandchildren both girls, they fought over one guy, well let's say one got pregnant she ran away not to tell her sister,... She gave birth and hid the little child under the floor boards of the house, the grandmother's ghost (when everyone's asleep!) un-burys the poor child and sets it under the Christmas tree (I know! ODD!) And when everyone wakes up... The little kid is there healthy... 😲 And I do know what's next but it is long...
Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
At the ending you said there was a small hole,
Do you think in under that floor lies a body? 😕
newguy (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-10)
i don't know if this is real or not it seems a bit too... Perfect like something you'd see in a movie. Is this for real is it fake or are you just really eloquent who knows, either way this is a great story.
CenterCore (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-08)
Hey raingrl01! Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you liked it. I'll check yours out as well:)
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-07)
Hey! I went to read your new story He is Me and at the beginning of it you said that anyone who hasn't read your previous stories should read those first, so here I am. Great story. I was sitting on the edge of my seat for the whole story. I will read the rest of them before I comment on the "haunting" in case there is more info in the other ones. ❤ ❤
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-21)
Wow how could stuff like that happen? That creeps me out. Stuff like the cough and stuff.Yikes!Good story.
Vannarra (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
Wow. I think I would have just died. (no pun intended)
I have to hand it to you, you're much braver than I ever thought about being. Me? I hear a weird noise, I run in the opposite direction. Ha! I don't care what it is, it's not getting me!
❤ -Vannarra
CenterCore (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-16)
Hey thanks for all the comments and support Cirdan, you rock. I don't know what I'm going to do about this little problem but getting feedback from people definitely helps :) Good luck to you too bro
- Core
Cirdan (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-16)
Wow, this story was long, good and interesting. I've heard of that they can reach you by your phone. I still wonder how, but this also happened to my dad as we left our home once, no one was home and he got a call from our house phone (which we had left) and he didn't hear anything at all and just hung up.
But I'm going to read your other stories as well. 😊
Amethyst20 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-27)
That was a good story! Have you ever thought of writing a book you are very good at descriptive words and your use of literature!
Just a thought. :)
clayton (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-23)
that was really good. I'm glad you told me to read it! I do believe I would !*%$# myself!
CenterCore (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-14)
'Sup people. Yeah I read your story Amber. But Maria, I can't find yours. Is it on this site?

- ©Œnter¢o®€
maria (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-14)
very nice but long and I hav a story to you shld read it its called a red face
amber (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-14)
did you read my story it is called haunted hotel plese read it comments are welcome nice story I was first to comment you and second
amber (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-14)
freeky nice story I enjoyed reading yours do you have any other stories

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: