You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Having My Baby Girl

Real Ghost Stories

Having My Baby Girl


Some background here: It's Dec 5th, 2012. I was due to deliver my second baby girl yesterday via C-Section, with tubal ligation afterward. It wasn't meant to be. I ended up coming down with a "cold" with coughing up phlegm. Turned out to develop into mild pneumonia, so I was prescribed antibiotics and an inhaler to break it up. I am to go back in tomorrow on the 6th to try again.

Last year, when my first daughter was born, I was placed into one heck of a haunted room.

They had just finished remodeling that part of the hospital and building onto it, to make it bigger, so they could take care of cases that they would otherwise have to send to a larger town to treat.

This hospital has been around since the early 1900s. We all know old buildings where lots of people die plus a remodeling equals activity! You would hear something heavy being dragged across the room, on wood flooring. Like a heavy metal desk or chair. The baby crib, when my daughter wasn't in it, would move across the room. There was a woman who would pace around and look out the window. She would come toward my daughter and my daughter would cry for me to pick her up and hold her. Something would knock on the window. You could hear babies freaking out day and night. A couple nurses were spooked to be in the new labor ward.

One particularly jumpy nurse would come in long enough to do what was necessary and glance around the room. I said, "Relax. It's okay. They're just upset because things have changed. It's like you suddenly coming home after work and finding all your furniture replaced and a couple walls knocked out, making a larger space. They won't hurt you. They're not angry, just confused and active." She asked, "You can see and hear them too?". I nodded. She gave a sigh of relief.

On the other hand, my daughter couldn't stand being in her crib so I could sleep. Needless to say, I did not sleep the whole 3 days. My hubby offered to cleanse the hospital. When he described what all he would have to do, he was turned down. Word quickly spread. The nurses asked us what could be done. My hubby told them to get the hospital chaplain to bless the hospital. We were discharged that day and never went back to visit or check up on things.

Now onto yesterday. The activity has calmed down, however it is still going on. After my iv cath was inserted and taped down and all, it came unscrewed and I was leaking. I notified a nurse. She laughed and said, "maybe it was a ghost, huh?". I said, "Yes, an old man.". She quickly dropped her smile and went quiet. One of my favorite nurses, Amy, one of the sweetest, most caring women you will ever meet was on duty for me. This baby, she was going to get to help with delivery and cleanup. I was relieved!

She filled me in that the chaplain did not believe them when they asked him to bless the hospital, telling him about the goings on and he recommended they all get mental help. That caused 2 nurses to resign. 1 more retired. The nurses who are left have to double and triple shift.

Two of the nurses who have experienced the most activity took it upon themselves to get a vial of holy water from their church and went around and prayed for and sprinkled the whole Labor and NICU ward. That is why the activity has decreased. Instead of feeling mixed emotions, I felt peace. Even though that old man was feeling like playing with my IV, it was still peaceful. I was relieved, because I wasn't feeling sadness, confusion and hearing the chatter of a lot of voices this time.

The baby's pediatrician that would take care of her the moment she is born, walked into the room and greeted me. She looked me straight in the eyes and said, "I won't see you until Thursday." and patted my hand and left the room. I was perplexed. I just looked at my husband asking for answers with my eyes. At this point, the surgery was still on and planned to take place at 11:00.

As everything progressed, my health plummeted. My white count skyrocketed. The anesthesiologist kept pushing for it to take place. My OB was worried about my health. He ordered an X ray and CBC. He listened to my lungs. My right lung was the one affected. I described the pain as the feeling of pluracy. He knew it was the onset of pneumonia. I was bringing up a lot of nasties with spasmodic coughing.

I asked Amy if she knew why the pediatrician said she'd see me Thursday. She leaned over and said, "Tom, the ghost that hangs around this area told her. He watches out for the moms and babies up here. You know our policy to use the restroom with the door open so you can keep an eye on the baby? Well, whenever a mother shuts the door, he opens it wide. When the mother falls asleep with her baby in her bed, he sounds the call button. If the tv is left on, he shuts it off. If the mother is watching something he doesn't approve of, he changes the station. Thinking it was a malfunction, they had electricians monitor everything, and replaced the tvs and it still happens. It's just Tom making his rounds. He loosened your IV to tell us that you aren't meant to go through this today."

My OB listened well to both the pediatrician and Amy. He took my difficult breathing and coughing seriously. He took their warning seriously. He sent me home, with proper meds to get better within the time frame. He let me know there is actually a two week window, and the baby is up high and not even close to position, so he will allow me up to one week if that is what it will take for me to heal.

How I came down ill was taking my daughter to the ER Saturday morning. My OB warned me against going to the ER unless it was a genuine emergency, because it can be disaterous late in pregnancy. Well, my daughter was having a high fever and 2 febrile seizures within an hour. I had no choice but to wake my hubby, load our babies into the car and drive to the hospital.

I will answer questions and talk to anyone who comments, but it won't be for a few days, unless this gets published by the time I am released from the hospital. I will be hospitalized for 7 days, to ensure I heal correctly and can then be up to taking care of my 2 year old son and 1 year old daughter too.

My love is with all of you YGSers.

Other hauntings by LakotaWinyan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LakotaWinyan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
10 years ago (2013-01-12)
Hi to LakotaWinyan and everybody here,

I've not been on here for a while, but congratulations, Lakota, on the arrival of your new baby.

Sounds like you had one heck of an experience in the hospital.

Great story!

Lakota73 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3327 posts) mod
10 years ago (2012-12-21)
LakotaW: I did a little research yesterday after reading your update and it seems as though there are a variety of viral and bacterial infections that could potentially cause your condition... Sorry you've had to deal with all that 😢...I hope your doctor has taken the steps to completely sterilize his office...

Anyway, my goodness gracious sake, she is a big one! ❤

I was wondering if your husband sees apparitions regularly, or if this was a one time thing?...Seems like he needed a lot of convincing LOL!
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-21)
Thank you Rook! It really means alot! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! She's a huge baby! 8lbs 10oz and 20.5".

Miracles, I'll look into it all and update! I promise, I will find out who Tom is and post it.

I will also share what the virus is when more is known about it, just so everyone can be on the lookout. Hopefully the effects are not long term. Not enough is known at this time.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
10 years ago (2012-12-21)
LakotaWinyan - congratulations on your new baby and I'm so glad everything went well ❤

Personally, I would love to know who Tom "really" was in life. But regardless, whoever Tom was, he is doing a great thing.

Thank you, LakotaW, for updating us 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-21)
Many, MANY Congrats. I am glad you are feeling better. Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to you and yours.


LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-21)
The diagnosis of pneumonia was an actual misdiagnosis as I learned on December 7, 2012. It turned out to be congestive heart failure, caused by a virus I had actually picked up while at my OB for a checkup.

I did not get to keep or get a copy of the chest x-rays. But they kept taking them, and each time there was a misty shape. It was frustrating the techs, to say the least. But, while Tom played with the chest x-rays, he kept pointing to my heart. Figure, head pointing to heart. Mist over lungs, finger shape pointing to heart. Doc pulled the antibiotics which were making things worse, because it was raising my bp, which was stressing my heart. There were 14 other pregnant women who caught the virus from going for checkup visits to the same ob office. They had taken a new patient who was very ill. I feel sorry for the women who are in the beginning-middle of pregnancy with this virus! It was alarming to L&D staff, with L&D pretty much being a makeshift ICU too. My OB was finding himself performing 8 emergency c-sections to save moms and babies, as early as 30 weeks gestation. So far all the babies have not been affected. No fatalities have happened, but there are many x-rays with misty figure pointing to their hearts. The outcome is the same. There was a huge diagnosis of pneumonia, which turned out to not be pneumonia at all. White count is inexplicably high, but no bacterial infection to cause the count to be high. High blood pressure, congestive heart failure, serious edema (water retention) and the women had gained more than 20 lbs of water weight within a 5 day period. Crackling at the bases of the lungs, sounding like full-fledged pneumonia, no improvement after breathing treatments and antibiotics. Mild improvement with steroids, blood thinners and the elimination of sodium from the diet (making them have to stop IVs and just give measured amounts of ice water and bland foods.). Blood-pressure lowering meds and diuretics show significant improvement. After this treatment, oxygen levels were able to be lowered to 2 units and then weaned off oxygen altogether.

That's all the medical facts.

When my hubby pawned our 1 and 2 year olds off on family and come to see me on the 8th, he sat there, followed something around the room with his eyes, and then nodded and smiled. Then the pulminary doctor walked in and checked on me and began to explain what was going on. My hubby said, "The doctor was just here. He just said the baby's fine and my wife is going to be fine, everything is under control." after the doctor introduced himself and proceeded to explain what was going on with my heart. The doctor looked at him like he was crazy and continued to tell us that they were going to add Lacix to my regimen to get more water off my heart and lungs. He said it looked like if I wouldn't be getting better soon, I would have to be taking a trip to a huge city hospital. At that point, I felt like I was dying. I didn't care. Anything was fine, as long as they would get to the root of everything. My husband continued to insist the doctor that just walked out of the room as the pulmonary doctor walked in had just given us an update. He was saying, "Get him back in here. Talk to him. He had just checked them both and said everything is going to be just fine.".

I even looked at my hubby as if he had lost his mind! When the specialist left, I said, "Honey. Look. He's the only male doctor that has even been in here all day. The pediatrician was in here at 8:30 but she is a woman and just the pediatrician. She wouldn't check me, just the baby. Are you feeling okay?".
He explained to me he saw Tom. I realized he was seeing the ornery old man when he described him. I was like, "Honey, that's the mischievous old man who loosened my iv on the 4th! He's not a doctor! He's a prankster!"

You could hear, "Shhhh" in a soft voice sometimes in the day, like a mother trying to soothe her infant. Of course, medical equipment or noises from the hall could be the cause of the sound.

You could feel a pressing on your chest now and then. Gentle. Like a stethescope. But, with having the heavy feeling on my chest, it could have just been the water weight on my chest. So I am going to assume it was not spirit, and debunk that, along with the "shhh" as explainable, normal hospital sounds and experiences.

I was well enough to get onto my feet to go to the restroom on the 16th. Practicing the normal routine, I left the restroom door open. A nurse came in and closed the door on me. Suddenly my door yanked open. My hubby pointed and said, "Honey! There he is! He just opened the door! He's standing right there by the bathroom door! The doctor!" I just looked at my hubby and said, "Honey, he's the spirit named Tom you are talking about and I only see you in the chair and Chekiya in her cradle. Sorry, sweetheart.".

My hubby was upset and stepped out to go get a coffee. When he came back, my daughter's crib moved about 2 inches. My hubby sat down his coffee and picked up Chekiya and held her. He then sang to her and she just laid there in his arm, looking at him and listening.

At 2:40 am, my neighbor began shrieking like a banshee. Her baby's cradle moved across the room while she was holding him. She was screaming, "Get me out of here NOW! I want to Go NOW! I am NOT staying a minute longer! No, I do NOT need to calm down! I need to go home NOW! Something unseen is trying to kill my baby! His bed moved! That thing moved!". They moved her to a different room. Pretty soon they were moving me to Med/Surg. They needed the labor ward for births coming in. Needless to say, I said, "See you later, Tom." as I went out. The rest of the stay went without incident from the spirit realm.

Chekiya and I were released on 12-20-12 at 3:45 PM. I waited for my 14 month old and 25 month old to go to sleep before getting on here.

I am feeling much better but still have quite a recovery ahead yet. I'm on 4 meds and having to monitor everything. Lol.

P.S. Happy Apocalypse, Everyone! It's now the 21st!
I hope nothing bad happens! Really! Happy Holidays to you all!
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-21)
Hello, everyone! Chekiya May was born via c-section on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm.

Everything went smoothly concerning the surgery! Thank you all for your well-wishes and prayers!

Zzgranny, I totally agree.

19isabela73 Thank you! She had just received her vaccines and they explained it was just her body building immunity.

Christine_Pandora Thank you!

Spockie, No confusion intended. I am grateful many moms are here who have been through a chest x-ray to seek for respiratory infections while pregnant so they could explain it.

Miracles, yes, thank you for explaining the need for x-ray and the lead shield over my belly to protect the little one inside.

Mylenium, Thank you! It really means alot.

Airstream, Exactly.

Worried_Brit_Chick Thank you! You could hear when he was on patrol!

Lilady4, Congrats on your son! I would prefer no ghosts tho, lol. I'll share, 2nd post. Right now just returning love and words to you all!

Spiritwolfdancer, Thank you. You are more than welcome to him. Don't know if you'd like someone switching your tv off or opening the bathroom door on you while you're in there, lol.

Girlie, Thank you! Yep, I am about to share more!
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-18)
wow. That sound really stuff. You seem like your in good hands, with both ghost and the living. Keep a smile on your face, and I'm sure you'll get better.
Thanks for the story and hope you'll have more soon WHEN YOUR BETTER.
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-14)
Get well soon, Id love to have your ghost at home with me, sounds wonderful xxx 😁
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-11)
Oh my goodness, this seems scary. But, I would love to have Tom at our hospital when I had my baby boy 13 weeks ago. I hope you feel better soon and my heart goes out to you and your family. And, congratulations in advance. May your journey be blessed.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-11)
Congratulations, I hope your new addition has arrived safe and well and that you are recovering with minimal ghostly disturbance! Hope your little girl is feeling better too, poor bub!

I really enjoyed reading this experience, and Tom sounds wonderful watching out for all the new mummies and little babies, I hope he is happy and likes his role. It would be interesting to find out who he was and what connection he had to the hospital, whether he was a patient who passed away there or a member of staff or even just a caring individual.

Best wishes honey xxx
Mylenium (1 stories) (9 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-10)
Spockie, a chest x-ray is needed to help diagnose pneumonia. I've had pneumonia before, and it was diagnosed via an x-ray. 😊
airstream (13 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-10)
Miracles is exactly right. The doctor needed an X-ray to support the diagnosis of pneumonia. It's nice to know what you are treating, especially in a pregnant woman. There are other lung conditions that may clinically look like pneumonia.
Mylenium (1 stories) (9 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-10)
Praying for a speedy recovery for you and your daughter! And wow, amazing story on the ghost looking out for mom and baby!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
10 years ago (2012-12-10)
Spockie - since LakotaWinyan may not be back for a few days, I thought I'd take a shot at this one. My guess would be a chest X-Ray, and the X-Ray techs would take precautions with her baby by placing the lead shield over her belly. I had X-Rays done when pregnant with both my kids. This is why women are always asked if there is any chance they could be pregnant, so every precaution can be taken.
Spockie (8 stories) (202 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-10)
Why would they order an x-ray for a pregnant woman? That part of your story puzzles me.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-10)
Wow such a great experience - apart from both you and your daughter being very sick 😢
I do wish you both have or do make a speedy recovery and congratulations on the new member of the family 😆
19isabela73 (8 posts)
10 years ago (2012-12-09)
Wow! That's a lot for you to go through... Will pray for you and your kids speedy recovery!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3327 posts) mod
10 years ago (2012-12-08)
LakotaW: Sorry to hear about your illness, but you know, I don't believe in coincedences...It's just not time for your little one to be here yet 😆...

I'm really excited to hear about your experiences during your stay... That is, when you get a chance to return... Congratulations on your new arrival, and get well soon! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: