You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Little Girl In My Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Little Girl In My Basement

 

This all started about four years ago when I was 15. The first experience I had with the ghost in my basement was when I was sitting on my computer when no one else was home. The television had been turned off so it was just a black screen. Out of the corner of my eye and in the black of the TV screen, I saw a white figure next to the couch that seemed to be moving towards me. Thinking it was my brother, I turned around to tell him something but no one was there. Freaked out, I ran upstairs into my room and waited until my family got home to come out.

At first, I was the only one who was experiencing any paranormal activity. I would hear a little girl say, "Who are you?" when I was in the basement or I would hear footsteps and see shadows. Since my dad and I are huge fans of Ghost Adventures, my parents just said I was getting too wrapped up in the show and trying to create my own experiences. However, a few months later after I had stopped mentioning these experiences to my parents, my dad started to hear things too. One night when he was home alone, he threw the laundry basket down the stairs when it was pitch black dark and heard a little girl say, "What was that?" He also began to hear screams, his name being called, and a little girl repeatedly asking who he was. This was the extent of the activity for the next three years, and it wasn't until this past year, four years after the activity first started, that the activity began to escalate.

This past summer, my cousins had spent the night and we were sitting in my room talking. I began to tell them about the weird things that I had heard in the basement when all of a sudden there was an extremely loud bang in the wall. My cousins and I bolted out of my room screaming and freaking out.

A few months later, I was watching Ghost Adventures with my dad in our living room. The door to the basement is in the kitchen, which is next to the living room, so you can hear what's going on by the staircase from the living room. No one was home except me, my dad, and my dog. Out of nowhere my dog started barking like crazy and growling at the basement door. We then began to hear footsteps near the top of the staircase. My dad went downstairs to check it out but he didn't see anything. This began to happen more frequently and made me more determined to find the ghost in my basement and made the spirit more determined to get my attention.

A few weeks after that incident, this guy I am seeing, Sean, was over at my house and was playing a video-game with my brother in the basement. After the game was over, they came upstairs and came to sit on the couch. Sitting there, we heard a loud noise, as if something had fallen in the basement. Being that my brother and Sean were too afraid to go downstairs to see what it was, I went down there myself to see what it was that had made the noise. Aside from the fact that the lights were all on, even though they had shut them off when they came upstairs, there was a box lying in the middle of the floor. Where the box had been originally, it would have been impossible for it to fall on its own. Freaked out, I put the box back and called out to see if anyone was down there. With no response, I went back upstairs and proceeded to make fun of the both of them for being too scared to go down there.

Two nights later, I was watching a movie with Sean in the basement when my dad let my dog outside. Sean asked if my dad had let the dog in the basement because he heard running behind him. Even though I was a little scared, I just continued watching the movie and pretending like nothing had happened. Soon, we started talking and as he was talking to me, he kept looking behind me with a freaked out expression and seemed pretty on edge. Knowing that he is not only really afraid of, but also doesn't like talking about, the paranormal, I began to get really nervous. So, I jumped off of the couch and asked him what he was looking at. In the midst of my questions, I stopped mid-sentence after noticing a flesh colored figure dart across the room out of the corner of my eye. I didn't even have to say one word before both of us ran upstairs.

A few weeks later, I was sitting the basement alone when I heard a little girl laugh in the pantry area. Not wanting to run away from it, I again called out to see who was down there but got no response. Figuring whatever it was had left, I went in the shower. Suddenly, I heard a little girl humming right outside the bathroom door. I turned off the water and waited for it to start again. When it didn't, I turned back on the water, but just as I had turned it on, the humming started again. At first I thought it may have been the pipes for the hot water, but in all the years that I had used that shower, it never made that noise. Also, it sounded distinctly like a little girl either singing softly or humming. However, when I asked who was down there, I didn't get any response.

Since it is difficult to hear or see spirits without any devices, I plan on buying a lot of ghost hunting equipment and trying to record and capture whatever is in the basement. However, almost everyone I tell this plan to says it's a bad a idea as it may anger the spirits and cause a darker energy to come in.

Do you guys think this is a good idea, or do you have any clue as to what could be in my basement?

Other hauntings by ghosthunter102

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghosthunter102, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-26)
Wow, this is one of the best and most informative threads I have ever read on here... All I have to add to this? Ise your gut instinct as to whether this child ghost is truly a child. I woke to a little girls voice calling my name once, after climbing a mountain to its summit. Somehow I knew, it was not a child. Creepy as hell. Check in on that whole feigned innocence thing. Loved the witchcraft is like cooking comment to... Innit just x
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Hi Cat- thanks for the feedback! It would be awesome to find something like that in my basement, I just have to find someone who isn't too scared to go down there lol. As long as the spirits are friendly and not evil, I'm fine with them being here or helping them finally rest. Thanks again for the advice! ๐Ÿ˜
CatherynLynx (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
Ghosthunter102,
Maybe the ghost in the basement is just a little girl from an other time, if I were you I would ask someone (a relative or a friend) to come with me to the basement and to try to find something like a box, a diary or something that isn't yours and maybe like that you will be able to find more information concerning the little girl or if this haunting bothers you and you want it to stop do this: I read in a book written by a ghost buster that when you are haunted just tell the thing FIRMLY: go away! Bye hope it works! From,Cat
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
WhiteWolf- Thanks for the advice! The main thing I am worried about is the possibility of bringing in evil or unwanted spirits. If there are spirits from Native American times then it would be impossible to trace so I have no way of knowing if they are good or evil. I just want to get some answers or find something out. Thanks again ๐Ÿ˜
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
ghosthunter102,

Since Long Island has so many native american spirits I it might not be a good idea to conduct an EVP session since it becomes a obsession and will create a vortex which anything can enter. Do not be scared of any spirit because if it is malevolent it will feed off of your fear. I live on L.I and have come across many spirits and most of them are not the kind that you would want to deal with.

Whitewolf,
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
Hi Red- Thanks for all the advice! I'm in Massapequa, which isn't too far from West Islip and is on the south shore. I know Native Americans settled here, even as you enter the town there's a statue of a Native American man and a plaque which I never read haha. I have been warned against using ouija boards or any spells since it can potentially anger the spirits or open the door to other spirits. I went to a psychic a few months ago and she told me that there were a lot of spirits in my house, including the spirit of my grandfather (so at least I'm positive one of them is not harmful and that's one spirit I don't mind having around). The other spirits, I'd like to hear from if they are good and get rid of if they are bad. Ghost Adventures includes a lot of taunting sometimes but they even warn against it on the show so I figured it wasn't the best idea to do that haha. Thanks again for the advice! ๐Ÿ˜
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
ghosthunter102
I posted on your last story that I am also from Long Island, originally from West Islip and grew up in a haunted house. First NEVER use a Ouija Board, Spell Book, or make any potions. You WILL anger some spirits if you do such foolishness. NEVER invite a spirit to stay because you don't know what you are inviting, the little girl in the basement may not be the ghost that is roaming the house, you invite one the other may accept the invite. Leave the toys alone and the show Ghost Adventurers is NOT a good example of ghost hunting.
Most of the south shore was full of Native Americans before settlers came here and you don't know where the burial grounds are. West Islip is also a place where Native Americans settled and they have found evidence of these settlements, pottery bones etc.
If you want to talk to the girl just use a tape recorder, you may not get contact from her but you may get a response from someone or something totally different. Always say a prayer of protection and picture yourself bathed in a white blight of protection.
Regards
Red
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
spiritwolfdancer & ghostlover101- Yea, I feel bad for her as well but I'm still not entirely positive if it really is a little girl as demons or bad entities can take the forms of young children to pass as innocent. But I'm definitely going to keep everyone posted and find out the history of the house! =)
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-08)
poor child, could you try find out the history of the house, perhaps other people have heard her, I would try connect, tell her you are and that you live there. Keep us posted ๐Ÿ˜
GhostLover101 (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-07)
sounds like she be lonely and confused, poor little lass, I wonder what happened to her, maybe she be confused why strangers be in her house.

Id chat with her, she might become your friend
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-06)
Girlie- Yea I definitely don't plan on taunting the spirits or anything, I've learned the dangers of doing that with spirits from Ghost Adventures lol. I'm going to go research the history of my house and the block within the next two weeks so I can have somewhat of an idea of what I am dealing with. Thank you for the support and I'll be sure to let everyone know if there are any problems!

Fubble10- Really? What happened with you and your friend? And yea I'm a little nervous about angering the spirit but if it's friendly then I hope it wouldn't get angry if I just want to get information.

Sian-mariah- Yea, it's pretty creepy especially when I'm alone haha. It's good to know I'm not alone with this stuff!
sian-mariah (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-05)
that's kind of feeky but maybe they want to try to tell you something but still you should be carefull as they may change there mood and become abit more creepy but I hope it stops I feel scared for you, but I have experianced weired things too so your not the only one.
Hope it gets better for you ๐Ÿ˜
Fubble10 (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-04)
I would not try capturing the Spirit because as many other people would of said you could anger them. Also it seems to be quite a pleasant Spirit so personally I think you should leave it and see what happens but if it gets worse you should maybe try consulting a Specialist!

Hope this helps ๐Ÿ˜

P.S Me and my best friend are also experiencing paranormal activity so you are not the only one ๐Ÿ˜
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-04)
ghosthunter102 you really should do it. I don't think that it will anger anything, or there would a lot of trouble for those people on TV and in real life who ghost hunt.
As long as your not taunting the ghost, or making fun of it, you should have no problem. Taunting or making fun never helps anyone, dead or alive.
Also, check into the history or land of your house. I said land because if your house is really new, there might not be anything you can find, so look to see if your house is resting on where another house was, it would make sense because you always heard the girl in the basement.
If you have any problems ALWAYS let us know and we can try to help you. Thank you for your story and hope to hear from you again.
GIRLIE โค
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-04)
Sorry I haven't written on here in a couple of days but it's just been crazy with the holidays lol. I had another experience on Christmas night. I was lying in my room in my bed and everyone else in my house was asleep, including my dog who was sleeping right next to my bed. I heard footsteps walking to my door and then what sounded like someone using their nails to tap on my door for a few seconds. I called out to my brother but no one answered. Then it started again, and my dog shot up and started barking like crazy so I reluctantly opened the door scared of what I may see on the other side but there was nothing except darkness. My dog ran out of my room full speed though barking and growling, causing everyone to wake up and me to rush upstairs to my grandma's house, where I've been sleeping for the last week.

Katie- Yea, I think I'm definitely going to

Geetha50- Thanks for the advice! Yea, I'm talking to my parents about getting the house blessed since I can't be completely sure whether it's really a little girl or just a demon taking the form of a child, which I know is very possible.

AHGMZ- yea i've been looking up different types of ghost hunting equipment because I'm determined to find out what this is and capture it.

Lild0ggirl- My cousin's boyfriend was actually going to give me a book on different spells and potions that deal with the paranormal but I wanted to speak to a professional or look up advice on whether or not this is a good idea because I definitely don't want any demons or bad entities to follow. I don't know much about the history of the house or the property, except for the fact that this town used to be a Native American town. Thank you for the advice and warning!=)

Christine_Pandora- Yea I'm so happy with all of the advice I've gotten so far! I'm definitely serious about doing research and I just got my car back so I plan on going to the library really soon and doing as much research/work as I can to find out the history of the house! Yea, I was unsure whether or not the apps would be reliable but I figured the recorder couldn't be that bad. I also definitely won't do this alone lol but I don't think Sean is the right person as he gets scared very easily. I asked my friend Matt to come help cause he's really interested in the paranormal as well. Thank you for the great advice and suggestions, and I'll definitely be careful about befriending the spirit!=)

Butxnut- I understand your point and am pretty nervous about letting darker energy or angering the spirits as well, but I think if I do research and see that it's residual it shouldn't be too bad. (or at least I hope not lol)
butxnut (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-03)
I wouldn't make any attempt to contact spirits or anything at all. Its never a good idea because you don't know what your dealing with. It may be dormant and just waiting for you. You never know. Again I wouldn't even attempt.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-03)
Also Lild0ggirl no disrespect but thought I would just let you know witchcraft is like cooking sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad hehe

We all prefer the good cooking!

But what i'm trying to say is witches also known sometimes or confused with Wicca celebrate mother nature and all the living animals and plants etc - they celebrate life ๐Ÿ˜Š
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-03)
You've received some pretty good advice here ๐Ÿ˜Š

I would just like to say when exploring and delving into the unknown you have to take precautions.

This is what I like about science they can believe in things but will not say it's true until they have solid evidence, however to do so you need to take many precautions and have a plan.

Research is just about always going to be Step 1.
So if you are serious (Which from your comment about going to the library and getting actual equipment i'd say you are) then keep up with the studying!
And don't just go for the basics like searching the house address, possibly study the area and history then narrow it down until you think you have found your block and start researching as far back and as recent as you can ๐Ÿ˜Š - A lot of work but you live there so I don't think it's going anywhere haha.

I personally wouldn't even bother with apps as I don't understand how an app can control a phone to pick up frequencies (which may be what your dog reacts to and dislikes spirits in general whether they are good or bad)... I think you should buy a cheap recorder to start off with (now your phone itself is designed to record more than it would be to track a spirit) then you can move onto the bigger toys.

Another thing I would like to suggest is having one other person present (someone reliable like Sean who will not jump to conclusions or get scared easily - also a skeptic would be great) just for back up evidence and in case your imagination gets the better of you ๐Ÿ˜Š

Those are just a few things I can think of offering to you as my own personal advice.

I've seen someone comment on another story I read a while back suggesting not to befriend a spirit as it may feel like attaching itself or staying in this world also in some cases I guess they could also get protective so just be careful how you word things and what your response will be - maybe write a few questions down you would like to ask this entity (remembering NOT to use a Ouji board).

All the best
Christine_Pandora
Lild0ggirl (3 stories) (39 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-01)
It seems like a good idea, but just make sure its stuff that won't upset these spirits. Just don't use any witch craft. I'm giving you a warning, if you try to contact them in a bad way, demons will follow.

Also, do you know about the old owners of the house? They might have brought something in.

I hope you find peace with these spirits! โค
AHGMZ (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-01)
yea I think it's a good idea.
If I were you I would buy cameras recorders and other stuff to find that... Thing whatever it is.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-31)
I totally agree with Logan about doing reach on the history of the house (and sometimes of the land also). Also, like Beckie said, do some kind of blessing / cleansing. Depending on your faith, you can go to your religious leader to do this or do it on your own. There is one on this site by Rooklyn if you decide to do it. His name is on my favourites list on my profile. Rook's cleansing could be adapted to whatever faith you believe in and will also determine and clear any evil spirits. I am saying this because it has been said that even though there are spirits of small children left behind and they can be curious about their surroundings, there are also evil spirits / demons that can take on the shape of a child and try to gain your trust before hurting you. Sorry for keeping this long.
Kaite (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-25)
.I think you should get some ghost hunting stuff I would...
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-23)
Hemp- Yea it was like a very soft hum or singing but I couldn't make out any words. I'm assuming it was outside of the bathroom only because I didn't hear it behind or next to me but it seemed pretty close. It actually wasn't that scary and was really pretty like you said!

Littleperson13- yup that's perfectly fine go right ahead:D
littleperson13 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-23)
I'm doing a project at school on ghosts is it ok it I used this ghost story as a example if so thank you so much!

littleperson13
hemp (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-22)
You said you heard humming? Interesting! I've also heard low humming/singing from a spirit before. What did it sound like and how do you know for sure that it was coming from outside* your bathroom? The reason I'm asking this is because in my experience I couldn't pinpoint where the humming was coming from; it sounded like it was coming from everywhere in the room yet at no exact location all at the same time. And oddly enough it sounded calming and almost beautiful!
ghosthunter102 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
thanks for the feedback guys! For those of you who like Ghost Adventures as well, I definitely don't plan on asking the spirits to make any physical contact lol. That's the other thing I was worried about though cause it could be a demon taking on the role of a little girl, but I think if that was the case the activity would have been worse, although I don't see why my dog would growl at a little girl.

Since I have off from school for over a month with absolutely nothing to do, I plan on going to the library and researching the history behind the house. The only thing is, my house, my neighbor's house and the house 2 doors down were all part of the same property in the past, like one person owned everything, so I would have to research the original house in order to find everything out right? This is all taking place in Long Island, New York by the way in Massapequa, which used to be a Native American town so maybe it could be a spirit from that long ago? We plan on getting the house blessed as well just to be sure but I never heard of using charcoal or Somero, I may have to try it out! Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys, I really appreciate it. It's good to have people that actually believe me and don't think I'm crazy lol I'll definitely either keep everyone updated through comments or a follow up story.
Sarah1978 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
I agree, I so would talk to her... I would tell her my name and that I live there with her, and now she has company. Your dad seems very nice to make hjer feel safe wih that storm. I wish I could come there and see her and maybe communicate with her. I do my self have a ouija board and I have tried it by my self but I can never get the thing to work... I will never stop trying though. Thanks for your story. Cheers Sarah
StMikal (4 stories) (37 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
Well firstly, I love Ghost Adventures as well so I know how you and your dad feels. Anyways, I don't think this little girl means any harm. I think that she just wants attention and company. She has asked repeatedly who you are with no answer. You started asking the same thing and she didn't answer you. Seems she is just playing. Ghost equipment won't worsen the situation because she doesn't seem to be a negative entity. Rey talking to her more often and get more info. Btw I'm in New York as well, Manhattan in fact. Where in NY is this taking place? Keep us updated
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
I agree with Logan and Beckiie and do some research on your property before doing anything else
Stay safe ๐Ÿ˜Š
Beckiie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
Wow, your whole shower experience kind of freaked me out because something similar happened to me. If I were you I would try to reaserch the history of your house. And if you are a religious person ask your pastor to go spray holy water everywhere. Or you could do what my mom does. She burns charcoal in a pan and puts Somero (I don't know what it's called in english) in it then says the prayer on the back of the package as she walks around the house and distributes the smoke everywhere. This seemed to have helped in our case. Anyway, good luck!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: