You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Shadowy Figure

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Shadowy Figure

 

When I was young (pre-k to grade school) I used to see and hear things that no one else could hear in my house. The house I lived in as a child was built after WW2, and I don't know for sure if it was haunted or just an old house.

I used to hear random noises throughout the house when I was alone, such as someone calling my name or yelling. I would always look around and outside my house to see if someone was there, and there never was.

Once when my mom and I were alone in the house, she was putting on her shoes and I heard a distinct growling noise behind her. I told my parents about these small experiences, and it was enough to frighten them. My parents were devout Christians, believing in God and that there is life after death. They believed me and told me whatever I was hearing, not to acknowledge it because it was probably something evil (not sent by God).

I will never forget this one experience that took place almost 19 years ago. My bedroom was downstairs in my old house, far away from my parents' and siblings' rooms. I awoke during the night (around midnight) and suddenly felt scared out of my mind. I glanced to my right and saw a large figure sitting next to me in my bed. It was large, dark, big eyes, and was grinning at me in a menacing way. I know for a fact that I was not dreaming at all, and ran like hell out of my room to my parents' room. I cried and told my parents that there was something in my room. They assured me it was nothing, and when I went back to my room it was gone.

Even though this incident occurred so long ago, I still remember it like it was yesterday. Since then, I have not experienced anything paranormal like that. I have never seen any shadowy figures or heard random noises.

When I was in 10 years old, my family moved out of that house. A few months later my mom was chatting with an old neighbor and she mentioned that the people who moved into our old house had a very scary accident. The lady that owned the house when to check the furnace, and something burst. This was unexpected and she ended up having to go to the emergency room to be treated for third-degree burns.

Any thoughts? Could my old house have been haunted? Does haunted mean when ghosts and spirits are seen, or when bad things occur in a house?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vivian678, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
I have to Rook on this one. What you experienced was a haunting. What the new owners experienced was an accident, especially, (I guessing here) since the house is an older home, the furnace is going to be older also, so I wouldn't be surprise something like that happened.
vivian678 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
No worries, I appreciate your feedback

The accident occurred about 6 months to 1 year after the new owners moved into the house.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Please take no offense as to how I answer your question (late nights at work make me a bit 'punchy').

Let us check the good book of Webster, Chapter H, verse -aunted.

Haunted: 1) inhabited by or visited regularly by a ghost or other supposed supernatural being. 2) looking strangely frightened or worried.

Let us next check the book of Webster, Chapter A, verse -ccidents.

Accidents: 1) a collision or similar incident involving a moving vehicle, resulting in property damage, personal injury or death. 2) an unplanned and unfortunate event that results in damage, injury, or upset of some kind. 3) the way things happen without any planning, apparent cause, or deliberate intent (see Chance).

What you may experienced falls under the definition of a Haunting. What happened to the next owners was a accident...I'd like to ask this... How long after buying the home from you did the accident happen in the basement? I do not think anything you experienced had anything to do with the accident the new owners experienced.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: