You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Event At Delta Chelsea Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

The Event At Delta Chelsea Hotel

 

I had being thinking about this story since last October (2012) and I had my reservations about submitting here because of how it would come out and what most of you would think; especially lately, as stories on YGS have come to light as fake. Since I have posted other stories on here and readers have come to trust me, I have decided to print it so I can see your comments.

I know that there are a lot of people from all over the world on this site but those from Canada, and in particular from the Toronto and surrounding areas, might have heard about the stabbing death of an employee (midnight cleaning supervisor) at Delta Chelsea Hotel while she was walking home from work in the early morning hours in the Cabbagetown area (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/toronto-stabbing-victim-was-strict-boss-who-missed-her-kids/article4651476/).

That story happened in October 2012. I have added the link above for you to read and get the details. This story got me thinking about what happened at the hotel where this lady worked at. I actually met and talked to Nighisti Semret (the lady that died) for a few minutes about a year before she was killed. It was a shock to find out that she was murdered.

Anyways, my experience isn't about Nighisti Semret. In August 2011, one of my friends (the maid of honour) booked Room #1902 at Delta Chelsea Hotel in Toronto for a bachelorette party for one of our other friends that was planning on getting married. The marriage happened in May, 2012.

Anyways, there was about 10 to 12 of us that went to the bachelorette party with myself. Friend #1 (Anna from Grandpa Visited story and Maid of Honour), friend #2 (Mary from Grandpa Visited story and bride), friend #3 (Kelly, a friend that I met in high school but lost connections with until I met her though Anna) and a fourth friend of Anna and Mary named Rita ended up staying the night at the hotel. I never like Rita from the start but I put up with her because she was long time friends with Anna and Mary. I mentioned this because although Anna was the one who planned the bachelorette party and she booked the Delta Chelsea Hotel for the party, it wasn't Anna's first choice for the hotel. It was actually another hotel that Anna wanted to book but Rita was insistent on booking the Delta Chelsea Hotel, and in particular the #1902 room. Although, Anna did think it was weird, she booked it anyways because it was cheaper than the other hotel she was initially deciding to go with. We later found out why Rita wanted Anna to this particular hotel.

Because of some mix up, Anna forgot three bottles of alcohol in her husband's car and he had already left after dropping Anna and Rita off at the hotel with their son. So, I ended going to LCBO to buy the alcohol Anna wanted me to buy before coming to the hotel and I got there about 10 minutes before Mary got there (Mary's now husband, Matt, had brought her to the hotel giving another excuse so it could be a surprise to Mary).

I got to the hotel and called Anna asking which room they were in and when I got the lobby, I went to the front desk and told them that I was supposed to go to 1902 to meet my friends. They told me how to get up there and I finally found the elevator to go to the 19th floor. Everything was fine until then. When I got to the 19th floor, things changed. I had this heavy feeling that something happened and as I got near to 1902, I felt like I was really dizzy to the point that I was going to pass out, and at the same time I felt like I was bleeding out from a body part. It seriously felt like I was experiencing someone else's death.

By the time I got to 1902 and one of our other friends opened the door, I was sweating like crazy, my arms felt heavy to the point that it felt like they were going to pop out of my sockets and the alcohol I was carrying wasn't even heavy but it felt like a ton each and I felt like I was really ready to pass out. One look at me and the friend that opened the door (Kelly) asked me what the hell was wrong because I looked like I ran a marathon. I gave Kelly the alcohol and sat down on the nearest sofa and another friend gave me a water bottle. Once I settled down a bit, I told them what I experienced walking down the hall. Some of the friends look surprised but others like Anna, Mary, Kelly, and Rita knew of my abilities. Rita was told about my abilities when Mary told her what I experienced with Anna's son (see Grandpa Visited).

In Room 1902, I started feeling another set of emotions. It felt like it was coming from the bedroom. I felt anger, fear, and the smell of murder among other things. The timeline of the party was that Matt would bring Mary to the hotel room with some lame excuse and would have a drinking party until the male stripper came in dressed as a cop (yummy!).

After the stripper show, we decided to go the Mexican restaurant named BarBurrito for dinner. We decided to walk so the alcohol could wear off before we went clubbing. The fresh air (even though it was summer and humid in downtown Toronto) helped me clear my head after walking in and out of that 19th floor hallway and the feelings I was getting in that room. We had a great time and I nearly forgot about the feelings that I had gone through.

At the restaurant, two tables were pushed together to accommodate the group. The layout of the seating starting from the right side was Mary at the head of the table, Anna to her right and me to her left. Rita was sitting beside Anna and Kelly sitting beside me and the rest of the friends going around the table. After discussing what we wanted to eat and drink, we made small talk until the food came.

After our dinner, we decided to have desserts and while we were waiting for the desserts, Rita brings up the topic of ghosts and anything paranormal. Everyone gave their opinions on whether they believed it or not. Then Rita turns to me and asks me if I believed in the paranormal (even though she knew what I believed in, she decided to be a "little miss know-it-all" and taunt me. Until this incident, she seriously thought I was faking it and looking for attention. This really pissed me off).

Anyways, even before I could answer that she already knew that I was an empath and that I could communicate with the other side to an extent, Rita started going off about how Anna and Mary told her about the incident mentioned in Grandpa's Visit and thought it was a big joke and that I was seeking attention. That comment just rubbed both Anna and Mary the wrong way. Anna just told her to shut up because she still felt uncomfortable about what happened (the grandpa situation happened about two or three months before the bachelorette party). Mary, on the other hand, stood up for me (she became a believer after that incident) by asking Rita how it was possible for me to give some of the information that only Anna, Mary, and later Anna's husband and Mary's husband only knew. Kelly (who also believes in my abilities) defended me by saying that nobody knew everything and won't know the answer until we experienced for ourselves. Rita, being the person she is, just smirked and said that is why she made Anna book the room on the 19th floor of the Delta Chelsea Hotel, to see if it would get any reaction from me. Apparently, since I didn't "see any ghosts", she doesn't believe that I have the ability and that there aren't such things ghosts.

Initially, none of us understood what Rita was saying and we asked. To our question, she said that, apparently someone got murdered at the hotel on the 19th floor in 1902. That ticked a lot of people of at the table, especially Anna and me. Anna, because she was duped into doing something that put one of her friends in harm's way. It pissed me off because, at the time, I was still developing my ability and how to control more (still am). For this incident, I couldn't and didn't know how to put the barrier up so that the emotions that I felt didn't hit me full force.

I told Rita that different people experience the paranormal differently and I experience them mostly when I am in the state between asleep and awake and also through feelings. She laughed at that and said it was really stupid. Although she annoyed the living hell out of me, I went on to tell that there wasn't just one person that died there but three people; one in the hall and two in the room. As usual, Rita was laughing at me; the rest of my friends were fascinated and, at the same time, felt that it was really creepy, especially Anna.

One of the other friends asked if Rita and I were playing a joke on them. Mind you, at this point I didn't know that if there was actually a murder that happened at the hotel or not (it's not every day you go to check if there were murders at a particular hotel before you rent it) and I didn't know if Rita was pulling a leg or not. I swore to my other friend that I wasn't playing a trick with Rita and the information that Rita provided was news to me. I also told the friend that what I felt is just that a feeling because that was how I felt in the hall and not as much sitting in the seated area of the room, but it was vibrating from the bedroom.

Since it was getting late, we decided to go back to the hotel to get ready to go clubbing. Although I didn't want to go back there, I didn't have much choice because my change of clothes for the partying and makeup was back at the hotel and, plus, it took a lot of convincing of my parents to let me stay overnight so I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity (a mistake that I realized the next day).

Going back to the hotel I felt the same emotions that I felt coming and going the first two times. In the room itself, I felt the strongest emotions in the bedroom. I felt the sorrow and fear from a woman and the anger from a guy. I just didn't like it in the room so I quickly changed and put on my makeup in the bathroom. Kelly and I were in the bathroom at the same time and she asked if I was okay and I told her that I was feeling the emotions of the dead in the bedroom and I didn't like it because there was a lot of anger in there. She told me not to worry and that we were going to leave soon and that she would be my sleeping buddy when we got back. I was really thankful to her for that.

We went clubbing and had so much fun that I totally forgot about the hotel incident for a couple of hours. Throughout the night, our friends slowly started to drift home until it was just Anna, Mary, Kelly, Rita and I. It was about 2:30 in the morning and we were tired so we hailed a cab and went back to the hotel. Being back at the hotel brought back the feelings I had earlier and it didn't make it any easier with Rita joking about what I was going though (although nobody else was laughing).

We eventually got back to our room, changed into a sleep gear and decided to have one last night cap with the alcohol before we went to sleep. I agree to it knowing full well that I was going to have a hangover the next day because I had enough of the emotions that these spirits were putting out and I wanted a decent night sleep. I choose having a hangover any day over not have enough sleep!

The bedroom only had one bed enough for three people, so Kelly and I ended sleeping on the carpeted floor. Kelly and I went to find out if we could have extra sheets to use to sleep. We found some cleaning ladies and we asked them and they told us to talk to their supervisor, Nighisti Semret. This was the first time we met the lady and she was kind to us until she found out what room we were in. She started to feel uncomfortable, as if she didn't like that floor. We asked her what was wrong because I was getting bad feelings about that floor and the room. She only said that the 19th floor was weird and to see if could move to another room. When we pressed for more information, she got mad and told us to leave her alone and that she had a job to do and then she left and that was the last we saw of her.

Kelly and I went back to the room and set up our sheets in the bedroom. I was at the foot of the bed and Kelly was at the side of the bed (so. Parallel to the girls in bed and we were making an L shape with our feet closest to each other). The reason why I mentioned our sleep position is because of what happened next.

With everyone being pretty much drunk, we fell asleep really quickly. I'm not sure what time it was exactly because I couldn't see the alarm clock on the night stand and my phone was on the charger in the main seating area but I woke with a start like you have been under water for a bit longer than you should and you come up for air kind of awake. I knew I was in a deep sleep and was wondering what woke me up. While I couldn't find any logic to anything, I didn't feel like thinking anymore then I had because my brain still had the sleepy gaze to it, so I decided to go to the bathroom before going back to sleep.

That is when the problem started. I couldn't move my body and that is when I felt my surroundings. In the darkness, I couldn't see anything but I knew the rest of the girls were asleep but I felt like someone was sitting on my chest and was choking me. It felt like this person was going to kill with a sharp object. I couldn't move my arms or legs to fight whoever it was off of me (by the weight, it felt like it was a guy). It felt like I was losing consciousness from not breathing and at the same time it felt like a ringing in my ears. When I tried to focus, it felt like a woman crying or screaming no (couldn't be sure because I was trying a way to breath) from both near and far but I couldn't pinpoint the exact location.

I didn't know how long it went on like this, but all of sudden I was shaken awake by Kelly. I shot up off the floor like my butt was on fire and I don't know if it was my scream or Kelly's scream, but it woke up Anna, Mary, and Rita. Knowing how Anna would react, I lied and told them that I had a nightmare and when Kelly woke me up, I screamed. They went back to sleep and I went to the bathroom with Kelly following me to make sure I was okay. I ended up throwing up everything I ate and drank that night in the toilet.

When I came back out to the seating area after I washed up, Kelly had a glass of ginger ale for me (God bless her). Kelly asked me what happened because I was paler than her when she woke me up. I went to the bedroom and closed the door before coming back and explaining to her what happened. Then I asked Kelly how she knew to wake me up. It was then she explained to me that she is a sensitive like me but it was really weak and that she rarely uses it because she doesn't think she can handle it. Kelly also mentioned that when she came into the room, she found it to be off and not welcoming (the setup was nice and everything but not the atmosphere). Kelly knew how Anna felt about such things so she didn't mention it to her. Kelly went on to explain that while she was sleeping, smack out of nowhere, she saw this elderly lady in her dream and she was warning her to wake up and help me. Kelly said that she felt peace from the lady but she was persistent about her helping me and that is when she woke up to find me with my eyes open and struggling to breathe but not moving my body. Kelly also mentioned that when I finally woke up and was able to move, she heard a young woman sigh in relief.

I asked Kelly the description of the old lady she saw in her dream. Kelly said it was an elderly lady with totally white hair up to her waist and in a lime green sari with a white top. I was in shock and to this thankful because she described my maternal grandmother to a "T". The green sari was what she was cremated in. The funny thing about this situation was that when I felt the pressure on me, I couldn't think of one Hindu prayer I learnt as a child, so I started concentrating on my grandmother; I guess she came through in helping me.

Kelly and I chatted for awhile so we couldn't go back to sleep, but we eventually fell asleep on the sofa. Around 9am Anna and Mary woke us up and I went to take a shower first and then Kelly and finally Rita. While I was in the shower, Kelly must have filled in Anna, Mary, and Rita about what happened in the middle of the night. Anna and Mary were shocked that they slept though it and were concerned for me and Kelly. Rita, on the other hand, thought that we were paying her back for trying to prove that I was lying.

After everyone got ready, we went downstairs to have breakfast in the hotel. We were still talking about what happened upstairs when I kept seeing the serving looking weirdly at us (our table was near the server's counter so he could hear our talk). Kelly saw this also, so she called him over and asked him if he knew anything happened in 1902. He went pale when he heard the room number. Apparently, he had gone to that room a few times since he started in 2009 for room service and that he didn't like the feel of that room and it scared him like no other. We asked him if anyone died there. He said that he wasn't working at the hotel when it happened but he heard stories going among the other employees and boss that three people died there in 2006 and it was a murder - suicide. The server initially didn't believe it because he thought since he was the newbie, they were trying to scare him but he later found out the truth.

The server moved on and we sat in silence. Mary was the first to speak and told me that I hit the mark on this one and then asked Rita what she thought of my abilities now. Everyone laughed except Rita, who just growled.

We booked out the hotel and since Rita had her own car she drove home while Anna and Mary dropped Kelly and me off at our respective homes. At the suggestion of Kelly, when I got home, I got my mom to hose me down in the driveway before going in the house. Kelly, like me, is a Sri Lankan but she is Catholic and I am Hindu. But traditions tend to overlap sometimes, and the belief is that if you encounter a spirit elsewhere other than your home, it is better to wash yourself outside by having water poured over you and then saying a prayer of protection before going into the house. This way any bad spirits will not enter the house with you.

After that I was still tired and since I didn't have anything else to do, I decided to sleep off the rest of my hangover. When I got up later in the afternoon, I found that Kelly had sent an email to all of us friends who were at the party, explaining what happened and what information she found about the murder - suicide at the hotel.

The following two links provide the same information but the second link shows the autopsy results:

Http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2006/09/13/murder-suicide-chelsea.html

Http://www.citynews.ca/2006/09/13/autopsy-helps-cops-confirm-hotel-slayings-were-double-murder-suicide/

This is one of those experiences that you truly want to forget but can't. For those of you who want to travel to Toronto, it is a great place to visit but pick and choose your hotel properly. I'm not saying Delta Chelsea Hotel is a bad place; just saying choose a suite on any of the other floors except the 19th floor.

Other hauntings by geetha50

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, geetha50, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-20)
Usually you make me cry... Today you gave me chills! Oh my god! So scary! I can't imagine how you dealt with that! Thanks to your granny and Kelly that you got up in time! Love your granny already:)) ) ) thanks for sharing this story... The links just totally validated everything, though as rook said- it really wasn't needed.
And totally second what sds said- even in india, we have to wash our feet and directly go take a bath once we come home after a funeral.
Once again lovely story:) take care!
Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
Wow that was a brilliant story! So well written and easy to read! I usually don't like stories that are too long as sometimes people tend to drag things out without adding to the story (plus I've a short attention span 😳) but that was really good!
When you mentioned the young women sighing in relief do you think that was your gran or the woman who was killed in that room? So glad she was able to wake you up before anything bad could happen. I guess a gift like yours has the potential to be very dangerous.
Rita sounds like a complete tool. How pathetic to do something like that to try prove you were looking for attention. Like come on get a life woman 😕
Looking forward to reading more of your stories:)
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
Great story geetha50. I'm so stunned with your story right now that I can't write any more but as soon as the message sinks in i'm going to put a better comment. 😕 😕 😕
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
Geetha I'm so glad you had your friend there and your Grandma to help you it must have been the most terrifying experience anyone has gone through, reading your experience has left me shocked to think that what you experienced was so life threatening, words can't describe how so very lucky you were to have your friend wake you up in time.
As for Rita this is a saying my mum always uses "what goes around comes around"
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
Dear geetha50, you are right, we do follow the same custom, religion and traditions and I could understand. What I meant was not that you would not have had the emotions but the attack you faced when you were asleep could have been averted. But a scary encounter.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
I really hope karma catches up with Rita. What a horrible thing to do to somebody!
MizMiMi02 (8 stories) (56 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Great events Geetha! It's always a pleasure to read your posts. 😁
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
geetha wow! Thats one hell of an experience! So glad that the other girls were there for you against Rita and that your grandmother came through to protect you via Kelly 😊
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
geetha:

Hahahahahahah! Way to go Anna's granny! It's good to know when good people got your back 😆
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
Joybells,
First of all, thanks for adding me as one of your favourite posters. As for Rita, I don't see her often so I don't have to put up with her stupidity often.

Here is a joke I heard from Anna last week while at her son's birthday party. Apparently, Anna told her mother what had happened and the next time Anna's mother saw Rita, she threw a casket because Anna's mother always treated me as one of her own and she is my number #1 believer in my abilities. I would have just loved to see that take place. LOL!

Overall, it's taking a while but I think I'm getting a handle on my experiences but you never know what the next one will bring!
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
Geetha:

You as a poster are on my favorites list for a reason! You encounter such incredible and sometimes tragic situations and you always end up handling them so well. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with someone like Rita and to be duped by her too? I would've thrown down at that point haha!

This post is amazing and once again validates your gift. I'm glad that Kelly and your maternal grandmother were there to protect when you needed it the most!

Thanks for sharing! 😁
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
Thanks for understanding Rook...it's one of those incidents that I would like to forget but there would be always something that will bring that memory back. As for going to hotels, I will think twice about staying in them!

Sds,
We probably follow the same religion and traditions, so I'm not surprised. As for the Shridi Sai Baba pendent, surprisingly, I had forgotten to put my chain back on with the pendent after my mom cleaned it for me. Thinking back, I don't think I would have that big of an impact of emotions if I had worn my chain and pendent. But I think we experience things for a reason and I'm stronger for it.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
Dear geetha50, this is surely one hell of the experiences you must have had as you said in the narrative that you were beginning to develop your abilities. Rook is right. The story could stand on its own without those links at all. I feel probably you chose to have the pendent of Sri Shirdi Sai Baba after this incident. I do not know, perhaps this might be one of the reasons, I believe.

And you narrated about our old custom of bathing ourselves whenever we visit burial grounds or coming back home after seeing a dead body. This is because it would ward off the negative entities, evil spirits outside the house. Even in flats, in India, we wash our legs, especially the backside of the legs before entering and we directly go to the bathroom to have a full shower.

Great scary narration. Thanks for sharing. But be careful of people like Rita.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
geetha,

Dear there is nothing 'unbelievable' concerning this experience, it would have stood on it own without the links (but thank you for providing them).

I'm Empathic myself and know how hard it can be to 'control' it and at times I am still overwhelmed or 'caught by surprise'.

Thank you for sharing this with us, I'm placing it in my FAV's.

Respectfully,

Rook
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-03)
Fergie,

I didn't like it while I was experiencing it and I still don't but I have accepted because it has made me stronger for experiencing it. Would I go back to see if the ghosts are there, hell no! Why put your head in the way of a falling knife if you already know it's going to chop you? Yeah, I didn't want to but I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it, if I went into the house without being cleaned, so I called my mom and told her what happened and she had a hose ready for me!

RollingStonesGhost,
I never really care for Rita. She always rubbed me wrong the wrong way but I put up with her because she was friends with Anna and Mary. I think Anna and Mary's friendship to Rita kind of cooled off in the past few years since the incident. I would have pounded her for what she did but I didn't because this was a special day for Mary and I didn't want to ruin it. I actually met the lady that was killed a year before she was murdered.

Miracles,
It could be just coincidence that I met the lady but I do agree that the higher powers has a way of setting things up but the problem is that we never know what it is until it happens... Unless you are dense like me, I probably miss it. LOL! As for Rita, I try to avoid people like her just because I know about them.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-03)
geetha - it's bad enough not to be believed by someone, but to be tricked into a situation the way you were is not only childish and mean, but could have been harmful as your friend Anna said. One day Rita may find herself in a situation and wish she'd believed in you and been nicer to you 😉

Interesting how God, fate, the spirits, whomever we choose to believe controls these situations, arranges for certain people to meet. If the scenario had been different, there would have been another supervisor on duty and you wouldn't have met Nighisti Semret. Instead, you met her that night and then long afterward, she's murdered. I just always find these things interesting. Trying to figure out, in my life, the "why" we were meant to meet. And then I always wonder, when the reason isn't clear to me in my life, if maybe the other person was supposed to meet me? I know I'm rambling but that part of your story just had me wondering why you were destined to meet and then she was murdered 😕

Great story, geetha. Thank you for sharing this with us.
RollingStonesGhost (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-03)
Geetha50, I know I am a sensitive Empath myself and had similar occourances happen to me. But being forced unknowingly by a unbelieving person to face something like that really hurts. Your lucky though that you had those three other friends there that care and suppported you... I would be very angry if I was forced into a situation like that... It's hard enough for people like us to go willingly into a place like that. You are obviously a very strong and good person to be able to go through that in that situation and pull yourself through with a bit of help from your sleeping pal that night.

Your a more forgiving person than I could be in your place that's all I can say.

I looked at the links you kindly provided, thankyou for posting them. I tell you it really stunned me. I very vaguely remember hearing about it when it happened. But I didn't know the full facts. Thankyou for giving us the inside of the story... So painful the poor lady and for you to have met her that night too. Heart breaking.

Jesse.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-03)
OMG geetha, I am so glad that I do not have your abilities! Poor you... I don't think that I could handle something like that!

I am glad that you were blessed with the courage and knowledge (even if you were still learning) to do what you did. (Like having yourself hosed down.)

I have never been in a situation like that, and hope I never will. Thank heavens that most of your friends believed you!

Thank you for submitting this compelling account, it really had me riveted to my seat! 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: