You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dead Man Coming Back Home

Real Ghost Stories

Dead Man Coming Back Home

 

My husband's brother and his wife has recently moved into a new place. We went to visit them on Tuesday and had a good time not realizing that anything was wrong. Yesterday while my sister-in-law and I were talking, she told me what they have been going through in their house! I was totally freaked out and told her they should move out!

She said for the past 3 weeks they have been haunted by the previous tenant of their house. As they investigated, the landlord told them that he actually died in a car accident last month. They have a 5 month old baby who lives with her mom but has come to visit them. The baby doesn't sleep at night. As soon as he falls asleep, he wakes up screaming like somebody has just pinched him. This has been happening now for 2 weeks.

This "ghost" apparently pulls out the plugs when the TV is on during the day. If anyone takes a shower, he switches off the bathroom lights and switches them back on when the person gets out of the shower. If any dishes are left in the kitchen sink, he washes them in the middle of the night. They literally hear water running and when they go and investigate they find either plates or glasses inside the sink, wet or even sometimes soapy!

They always have that uncomfortable feeling like someone is walking around the house!

In African culture, when a family member dies, they are "fetched" from the place where they passed on and taken to their final resting place. This fetching is done by either the parents of the deceased or other elders in the family. The spirit of the person is told that they have passed on and that they have a new home. A photograph or something familiar to the deceased is used, and once he/she has been explained to, the item is then covered with a cloth and taken to the grave and there only is it opened to release the spirit to its new home. It is our belief and custom and has been practiced for centuries.

Now in the case of this poor guy, his family have unfortunately taken on too much of the western culture and have apparently refused to do this in order to put their son to rest.

I just found it so sad that people could be so heartless as to know that their son's spirit is not rested and refuse to do their part to assist it.

I was told that hanging a horseshoe in the house acts as some sort of a barrier, not permitting ghosts entry into your house. I don't know how true this is but I have just purchased one for my sister-in-law today and I am hoping that they can have a good nights rest they haven't had in 3 weeks! I would love to hear everyone's comments on this!

Other hauntings by Mynessa

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mynessa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-27)
Your culture and rituals are really interesting! It's too bad the parents got too far away from their culture to do what they needed to do to put their son to rest. I'm curious about the ritual with the knives and herbs - will that put him to rest or just sort of pass him over to the parents? It sounds like it just hands his spirit over to his family, if this is the case then I agree with you, better his own family than yours! I hope everything gets settled, especially for the poor baby. ❤
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
If I had a ghost that cleaned my dishes in the middle of the night, I would do absolutely nothing to remove it. Haha. I'm joking, but that is sad. It's upsetting that the child is being affected, too. I wish you all luck with this. Be safe.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Dear Mynessa,

Thank you for replying back to us here. I am glad you are open to try different things, and the horseshoe has helped. I am also glad that their baby is with you until things either quiet down completely or they decide to move.

It was good of you to share the details of your culture's rituals which is very enlightening and helpful knowledge in understanding your belief system. I truly appreciated reading about that. Please do keep us up to date on what is going on and if the ritual works for them. I certainly hope that it does. They will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I am sorry to hear that because of ghosts you have had to sleep with the light on since you were 19. I hope this has become better for you or stopped completely.

I will look forward to hearing more of your ghost stories. Thank you again, Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
No, No, Thank you for teaching us about your culture and beliefs. I for one am always willing to learn of new ways of dealing with those spirits who refuse to leave for whatever reason. I hope all works out well for you. If I can be of further assistance please don't hesistate to ask.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Mynessa (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Hi

Thanks for the suggestions, at this point we are willing to try anything that will work. We did the horseshoe thing a things have quietend down a bit! But we have consulted with some elders who will be coming to the house to perform what you would call an excorcism. They call him by his surnames, fathers and mother maiden, in that way he is tricked into thinking that it is family that is summoning him. This ritual is done with a knife, a herb is burnt while the calling is done and when this burns out, the ashes are smeared on the blade of one of those knives you can fold closed and it is closed with the ash on. This is then taken to the place where you wish to send him, in this case it will be the his parents house, the knife is opened to release his spirit and the knife is stabbed into the ground preventing him from leaving this place. Apparently it works so rather them than us right!? If all else fails, my brother-in-law and wife will be coming to stay with us until they can find another house, the baby is currently with us its just the parents that still "somehow" sleep in that house! Ireally do appreciate the responses, this sort of thing really freaks me out. I used to sleep with my bedside lamp on until I was at least 19 because of ghosts. I will submit more stories about that!
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Dear Mynessa,

Since based on your culture and its belief system, you and your husband's brother and wife should be the ones to investigate and consult with those of like mind and belief.

You may want to try other suggestions outside your culture and belief system like the ones Shane, I and others have shared here on this site, but if you do not believe in them, they may not work if you do not have the intent and/or faith in them working.

As for a horseshoe over the door, I agree in my culture it has meant to be used to bring good luck. Well, it couldn't hurt to try it, at least good luck would be the result if you believe.

If all else fails, they may wish to move.

I appreciate you sharing your story and your different belief system. This is what makes the world go around. Thanks, Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-21)
Dear Mynessa,

I have never heard of the horse shoe barring ghost from a home. Bringing luck yes. I have several suggestions for you. One is you could perform a smudge ceremony of the home. I have directions for one here on this site in the articles area. Two until this ceremony could be performed try placing a ring of salt around the babies sleeping area, this will keep any harmful spirits away from him. The family could also choose to wear cleansed charged clear quartz crystals and place them around their sleeping areas. To cleanse one just place it in a clear running stream or river and to charge place in the sun. Must be charged daily to remove any negative energies. Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: