You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Ouija Board Warning

Real Ghost Stories

Ouija Board Warning

 

In 1977, I was 12 years old. My best friend, Jamie, and I were continually messing around with my Ouija board. We were mostly interested in contacting any spirits that happened to be around.

After a few months of playing with the board, weird things started happening in my house. We usually played the board at my house, because no one was there right after school.

One day, after school, we went to my house as usual. Jamie and I were talking and walking through the living room. From there, we could hear a loud continuous whooshing sound coming from the upstairs.

Knowing we were in the house alone, we quietly crept up the stairs to see what that sound was.

It was the water running full blast in the bathroom sink.

We shut off the faucet and wondered to each other about the weirdness of that. My father was always the last one to leave the house in the morning and he would never, ever leave the water going full blast like that. We tried to shrug it off and went back downstairs.

As we got to the foot of the stairs, we heard it again. That same noise. The water had come back on and was again running full blast in the bathroom sink. We ran upstairs, shut it off, ran downstairs, out the back door, and went to Jamie's house until my parents came home.

Not long after that, we were again playing with the Ouija board. I don't remember any of the communication with it. It's what happened afterwards that haunts me to this day.

Jamie and I were sitting side by side on the floor with our backs on the wall. We had set the Ouija board aside and were chatting for a few minutes. I had asked a question and was waiting for Jamie to respond. Nothing. I looked over at her and she was staring straight ahead, not blinking, just staring. I called her name and leaned over to look at her, when she suddenly jerked her head my direction. Her blue eyes were wide open, but the pupils had virtually disappeared. I stared at this person, this sudden stranger who looked like my best friend. Those eyes were not Jamie's eyes, that was not my best friend staring at me 6 inches from my face. "Jamie?", I asked, not really sure what else to say. "Are you all right? Jamie, what's wrong?" A hundred things went through my mind all at the same time. Was this an emergency? Some sort of tumor? A seizure? I didn't know whether to try to touch her or go get help.

Then Jamie opened her mouth and in the deepest, baritone, full adult male voice said, "STOP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING!". I was shocked. Before I could collect my thoughts and respond, that voice boomed out again, "STOP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING!".

Jamie jerked her head to the forward facing position again, and casually, in her real voice, answered my question in the conversation that had been interrupted.

She did not know anything weird had happened and was truly freaked out when I told her. The event scared us so much that we both swore off the Ouija board and decided to throw it away.

Not knowing any better or even thinking there was a better way to dispose of the board, we wrapped it in a big green garbage bag, took it out to my garbage can, removed the other bags that were already in the can, threw the Ouija board bag in the bottom of the can, threw the other garbage back on top, and slammed the lid closed on the whole thing.

We felt good knowing that garbage would be collected early that very next morning.

About a month after that, Jamie and I were again at my house by ourselves. We decided to go up into the attic to explore some of the old boxes that were stashed up there.

As we got to the top of the stairs, there was a bookshelf on the right hand side. On top of the bookshelf was my Ouija board. I know it was mine because Jamie and I had doodled all over the cover.

We stared at the board and slowly backed down the stairs. We slammed the attic door and ran outside.

That board stayed in our attic, untouched, for years. Then one day, when I was getting ready to leave home to join the Air Force, I went to get the board to burn it or find some way to get rid of it, but it wasn't there. It's never been seen again. Neither Jamie nor I have ever done an Ouija board again. We truly believe that warning was for real.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Auramyst, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cutiepiecharlie (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
maybe your friend was possessed

And what the hell are you doing playing a oujia board when your home alone tut tut tut
bambam (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Well, at least nothing bad had happened to you and your friend. And it is also a good thing to listened to the warning. Oujia boards are not toys. And certainly not a good thing to messed up with. ^^
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
My Mom had a very weird experience about 50 years back. She, my aunt and my aunt's husband summoned a spirit with an Ouija board. When they tried to close the session, the spirit boldly and vehemently refused to leave. Since they knew they just couldn't abandon the session without properly closing it, they were at their wits end on handling the situation the right way. However, my uncle's presence of mind totally saved the day!

He threatened the spirit (he had a very powerful voice) saying that grave measures would be taken against it and it would have to face dire consequences. After repeating this a few times, the spirit finally left.

Just wanted to include this incident in the hope it might be helpful to others with similar situations... 😊
Andreaa11 (54 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-09)
Not sure where I heard this, but isn't burning an ouija board bad? I heard that if the ouija board is destroyed, it closes the portal the entity used in the first place. Could burning it escalate activity then or get rid of it?
enchantedglades (10 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-09)
maybe someone who lived in your home at the time, disposed of the Ouija board without mention of doing so.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-09)
Hello Auramyst, that adds to one more experience with the Ouija Board. They are weird but as Zeta said, the best way to destroy a Board is to close the board after its session. If it had not been done and the Board destroyed, then it is, as Rook said, as if it is not closed at all. But you and your friend Jamie took a right decision not to touch the Ouija Board again. That is a good decision and better don't do it in future too.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-09)
Zeta...and others,

There are many ways to dispose of a Ouija Board.

Zeta the method you mentioned is one.

Another is 'binding it' closed.

For those who feel they are 'Demonic', have it Blessed and Closed by a Priest of your choice.

What is important is that the last 'session' (all sessions) that have taken place on the Board have been 'CLOSED'. If the Board is destroyed before these 'windows' are closed then there is a CHANCE they will remain open (I'm not saying that WILL HAPPEN, but it might).

Which ever method you choose, Blessing, Burning, Burying is up to the individual/group getting rid of the board so they should use a method that they feel comfortable with.

Respectfully,

Rook
demonicsheikh (55 posts)
-4
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
why did you want to used that board?
Who did you want to contact?
Well you can't destroy the board because you kind of opened a portal for someone to come and you will be kind of stuck with it.
I don't know if anyone can help you.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
I have been told that the proper way to dispose of the Oujia board is to first make sure that there are no spirits out from the board and then burn the board completely. Not sure but just wondering...anyone?

Zeta/
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
Most of my life, I have heard tales of ouija boards that disappear, then reappear later seemingly of their own accord.
When my father passed, his personal effects were sent to me. Amoung them was a ouija board. Frankly, I simply did not know what to do with it. Growing up they were forbidden in the house, so what he was even doing with it, is beyond me. So, I stuck it on the top shelf of the closet until I could figure out what to do with it. Well, a few months ago (my dad passed in 2007) a priest I know told me that he would safely dispose of it for me. I went to get it. Now it had been on that shelf for the past 6 years, I saw it daily as I was in and out of that closet, but it was simply gone, no where to be found!
Just to be on the safe side Father blessed not only my apartment but the inside of that closet as well. Nothing bad has happened here, but then I had never used the board.
Hopefully yours stays lost too.
Wolfchild (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
a similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I was in my room with my sister. We were looking at clothes on the laptop, when suddenly the laptop shutdown and my sister got up, picked up an ornament off my desk and through it out the window. She then turned around and said "remember me?" but it wasn't her voice and even the way she walked was different. This totally freaked me out. I haven't looked at my sister the same way again.
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
Oujia boards are CREEPY!
Never use one without knowing the consequenses. I have once used one but nothing happened whioch was quite a relief. But it was not a surprise since my house is not very old and was built only last year.
However, I do understand because when my mother was 16 she was at her friends house and they used one.
They made contact with the spirit but it said it was going to kill them.
They spent the rest of the night under the pool table crying.
paul19 (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
Did you know then that you are supposed to say good bye or else sprits could be released and also was your friend possesed? Anyway I'm not purley in reminisce in how to despose of the board but I think you sprinkle it with holy water end the session by saying goodbye and then burning it. Interesting story though

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: