You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Quasi-ouija Prediction

Real Ghost Stories

Quasi-ouija Prediction

 

When I was in my early teens I used to spend a few weeks each summer at my grandma's farmhouse out in the country. The house was very old, complete with a root cellar under the kitchen, and a rickety staircase. The front part of the house was bright and airy and happy, but the back part was gloomy and creepy. We mostly used the back for storage and rarely went there. The house didn't generally have bad vibes, but I felt like the happy front part of the house was besieged by darkness lingering in the back and in the creepy root cellar underneath. I was never one hundred percent comfortable there.

One time my grandma was out grocery shopping or visiting a friend and I was left alone in the house. There weren't many kids my age in this tiny town and I mostly had to fend for myself for entertainment. TV reception was terrible (this was back in the 80s!), so I spent most of my time walking, reading and doing crafts.

To break the monotony, I thought that it would be fun to experiment with an Ouija board. I didn't have one on hand, and since I was alone, I didn't think it would work anyway. Then I recalled that a friend once told me that instead of an Ouija, you could use a needle suspended over the alphabet drawn around a circle. The needle would supposedly move and point to letters in response to questions. It didn't sound very legit, but I was bored and decided to try it.

I drew letters around a circle and suspended a needle on a thread over it. The needle settled pointing to the center of the circle (thank you, Gravity) and did not move again. But I wasn't going to give up that easily! I figured that if I rested the point of the needle in the center and tilted the needle a little by lowering its top, I could get the top to spin around while the tip remained anchored in the center, then the top was bound to settle pointing to a letter. This time I had the laws of physics on my side, so the needle did indeed point to different letters each time I gave it whirl.

I'm sure I started with some silly questions about which boys liked me, and I'm sure I got some gibberish answers. It wasn't really working. I was ready to give up, but decided to ask what my profession will be when I grew up. The needle spelled the word "shoe". This freaked me out. I ran out of the house and sat out in the yard until grandma returned.

Once back from summer break, I told my friends about what had happened. We had a good laugh about me becoming a shoe. Several years went by and I had forgotten about the incident entirely. It all came back though, when I found myself working in the SHOE department at a large store.

Other hauntings by Cornflower

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cornflower, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cornflower (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-04-02)
Thank you for reading my story!

DB,
I'm glad you had a positive experience when your friends tried it. My grandparents had a good experience with one as well. I never tried it again. It just didn't feel right.

Rajine,
I freaked out and got out of the house. So, technically, I don't think I ended the game. But I made sure to burn the paper that I drew it on soon thereafter. I was pretty lucky that nothing happened afterwards.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-30)
Hi Cornflower

Well I guess the ouija board got one thing right, however ouija boards are tricky there's no knowing what will happen, you didn't mention ending the game, did you get around to doing it?
DreamBird (6 stories) (23 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-30)
Hi Cornflower,
I'm definitely not a fan of ouija boards but that sounds like a pretty neat experience. You never know. In junior high I used one with friends at a sleep over. They supposedly contacted my grandfather who passed when I was 5. They asked him if he had any messages for me and it spelled out, 'tell her I miss her.' After hearing about so many bad experiences with the board, I decided to never use one again. Thanks for sharing your story! It looks like we are about the same age.

-DB

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: