You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Under the Stairs in the Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Under the Stairs in the Basement

 

One time my grandmother was looking for an old trunk full of her high school yearbook and diplomas, so she went downstairs into the basement. Her house didn't have a light in the basement at the time so it was fairly dark when she reached the bottom of the stairs. I remember she told me that there was a small white glowing figure of a little girl only a couple of feet away from her, she thought it might have been a practical joke my cousin played on her. But when my grandmother reached out to touch it the little figure let out a muffled cry and vanished immediately.

Ever since then my grandmother has a light in here basement but there is a always a space under the stairs that does not get hit by the light and my grandmother swears she still sees that little girl watching her every move, but when she turns around to look the figure disappears. "She was wearing a long dress that dragged on the floor and was holding a ragged looking doll in her left hand" said my grandmother, "She was also full of sadness... I could feel it" My grandmother got very frightened about living in that house so she moved into a tiny two-story building.

She told me things in her building were going smoothly until she saw that little girl's reflection in her bathroom mirror. My grandmother screamed so loud that she almost lost her voice. The glowing figure let out the same muffled cry and disappeared one more, but my grandmother knows in her head that the little girl is still watching her from every dark corner in the building, and at night my grandmother thinks she hears that muffled cry when its really just the wind... Or is it?

Other hauntings by poltergeistfan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, poltergeistfan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wolf789 (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
the girl seems scared, I don't think your grandma has to fear her and should try consoling the girl, it might help her move on
spica (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-02)
I think the basement is haunted, not the house. The little girl must have died in the basement and haunts that place. Or maybe she wants to be comforted because your grandmom hears her muffled cries at night. Advice your grandmom to talk to her sometimes.

GOD BLESS!
Spica ❤
shelbister (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-02)
i think basements are like that mine is very haunted to this day on -0shelby ❤
The_Sweetest_Thing (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-01)
I remember reading this story but I don't think that when I left a comment it worked because I had posted too many within three minutes. I enjoyed this story though I think perhaps because I related to how your grandma saw that little girls reflection in her mirror. Isnt it scary to know how ghosts will follow you? I did get scared though about the basement part I hate basements even with lights lol but anyways thank you for your comments though.
poltergeistfan (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-01)
Yes Athena, I'm pretty sure that the house my grandmother lived in was around 100 years old. And your right about the fact that she did attach herself to a motherly figure
poltergeistfan (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-01)
I thank all of you for your comments and Annie I will most certainly tell my grandmother
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-31)
i agree that the little girl has choosen your grand mother out of a sense of comfort and caring she feels through your grand mother. Whether her death was an illness, accident or other, apparently the little girl did suffer and longs for caring.

thank you so much for sharing this beautiful but heart wrenching story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-31)
I think Shane, Annie and Athena have pretty much said it all. I fully agree with them and I think they know what they're talking about. 😊
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-30)
I think I picked up a "hit" on what is going on. This little girl died over one hundred years ago (am I on the right track- the house is over a hundred years old right). She died in the basement, and was in pain at the time. The first thought was tortured to death, but it could also have been a wasting disease... The girl wants to be cared about... This all seemed so clear which means that for somereaon I needed to tell you the above info. PF Thanks for your story it is one of the reasons I stay on this site.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-30)
poltergeist fan, I think that this little girl has attached herself to your grandmother because...she's lost. I think she's attached herself to a "motherly" figure. I think that the next time your grandmother sees her (I know this might be hard for her to do!) she needs to react calmly, and tell her she needs to "go towards", "find" the light. I'm not speaking as an expert. Believe me. Shane is right. Spirits do have the tendency to attach themselves to comforting people. I'm sure that this little girl must find your grandmother very comforting.
Hope all works out. Keep us all posted.
poltergeistfan (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-30)
Thanks for commenting Shane
Can other people comment my story please?! 😊
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-29)
Ghost have been know to attach themselves to people. They for some reason find solace in being around someone who may remind them of a lost relative. That is why it is always best to help the spirits to cross over. Thank you for the story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: