You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Cat Sensing Spirits?

Real Ghost Stories

Cat Sensing Spirits?

 

My little sister (Leah) sees ghosts/spirits. I have never seen/experienced what she says she sees but I very much believe her when she tells me about it. She's been seeing a black spirit her whole life but she says she only sees it at our house we grew up in. She sees other spirits/ghosts other places but the black spirit she sees is the only one that makes her feel threatened or afraid.

I have a 4 year old cat (Molly) who is like a baby to me. She's typically pretty skittish around anyone but my boyfriend and I. When we have guests over or if there seems to be commotion she usually hides (she's been this way since she was a baby, and since its usually quiet in my home, I think this is why she reacts this way)

When Leah comes over she doesn't hide. She will actually attack her if I'm not around to tell her no and if I am around she will sit across the room from Leah with an unbreaking glare and will occasionally hiss. I have shook her favorite toy when shes doing this and she will not even flinch (and usually she will come running from the other side of the house if she hears it). This is really unusual behavior for her, especially if nothing at all has provoked her. Leah has tried to Molly and she will swat her and run away.

Leah mentioned that she thinks its the spirits. I think it might be too. But what does this mean? I have heard that cats will try to protect their owners when spirits are present but my sister says she doesn't ever see or feel anything at my house, so I don't know what is making my Molly act like this around her.

Any thoughts or similar experiences from anyone?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rrmr89, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

cjjshs (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-01)
I think I would be concerned by the shadow ghost. If your sister can see spirits then they are more than likely attracted to her for that reason and as a couple of posts above say something may have attached to her. I have done a lot of research on spirituality lately. You need to invoke some sort of protection. I am not sure if you are religious or not (I consider myself more spiritual) but you can find a prayer to say online. Type in spiritual protection and please seriously read up.
PinkAngel (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-26)
One of the weirdest things I've ever seen was my cat playing with what seemed to be an orb, around 1/2 inch big. Actually they were playing together; the orb was teasing him. But since I saw it too, this is a different case.
I've read a lot on astral travel (and practice it as well) and read an amazing story once; a man, OOB at the time and "walking" around his house, noticed that his dog (alive and well) was simultaneously out of body WITH him, even as the dog's body lay sleeping. He trotted happily alongside him on his walk. So it seems that animals are capable of being- and seeing- in more than one dimension at once. Fascinating!
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-26)
Rrmr89, Well then my cats are all chickens and traitors! They never protect me. They just stare and run leaving me alone. As for Molly's reaction to Leah, I think Leah has something attached to her. Molly is picking up on it and being defensive is her way of getting Leah to stay away.

Pets are brilliant indicators for paranormal activity.

Thanks for sharing
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
Hiya rrmr,

It's a mystery to be sure. But one you may be able to flush out.

Cats see differently than we do. Here is a link for info on how their senses work. Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_senses

I have two instances where I saw behaviors like your cat that I will share here.
I had a client whom I permed on a regular basis. Every time without fail her cat would hiss & snarl something fierce. It took several shampoos for the cat to calm down. The only thing we could figure was the ammonia smell. We would joke that her cat thought another cat had marked her by peeing on her hair.
This to me was a logical explanation.
Just as others have suggested your sister could carry a scent that causes the reaction. It can be something as simple as a scent on her shoes she has tracked in.

The second instance I witnessed happened with one of my cats. When all was said and done I knew of a certainty Plato (cats name) was reacting to a spirit.
I lay on the couch watching TV as Plato lay on my chest. All of a sudden he sits straight up, stares at something only he can see behind me and begins to GROWL like a dog. I have never heard of a cat growling like a dog. But he did for several minutes. His hair stood on end and he continued his behavior. I muted the TV listening for anything out of the ordinary. (cats fighting etc...) I heard nothing. I also checked the spot he continued to stare at. There was nothing there. He did not let up until I addressed whatever force was present and told it to leave. I even felt it when it left.

Next time your sister comes over and you get this reaction, try asserting yourself over whatever could be there. See what happens.

Hopefully you will find the logical.
livinit2 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
Rrmr, this might be pretty serious. Cats and dogs are known to be able to sense spirits and if Leah sees spirits and your cat acts like that might mean that dangerous spirits are following your sister. I know all about this because I am a cat lover and live in an old house. I loved your story and I'm sorry about your sister's possible problem. Look for my stories! If you read what my profile said you would see that my mom and I share and account.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
How old is Leah? I can think of a couple possibilities. Does Leah have any pets at home? Especially dogs? As Val said, she could be reacting to a scent.

Another possibility, you said she's like your baby, maybe she's jealous of the affection you feel for your sister. Kind of like sibling rivalry?
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
I was thinking the same as Fearless. Perhaps there is something attached to your sister, that she is unaware of. Or, it happens sometimes, that a cat will just intensely dislike someone for no apparent reason. This will sound odd, but does your sister wear a particular brand of perfume or use soap that you don't? Molly could be reacting to a scent.
Fearless (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
Well rrmr you know there's a saying that if you hear a donkey's cries it means the devil's nearby same might be the case with cats as I'm into cats and have 2 cats named Jolly and Rose who stick around me all the tym I sometimes note their behavior so far I just came across one ghost incident so at that unfateful event which I will publish soon, my cats started to act strangely, in a sense that they started clawing the air and I couldn't understand what was going on but my sharp eyes which I'm praised for in my family captured something shady trying to get away from my cats... So I guess your sis might be really interested in ghosts so much that she maybe actually be surrounded by some and molly might be acting like this as she sees ghost around your sis...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: