You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unexplained - A Spooky Holiday

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained - A Spooky Holiday

 

To begin with, I would say that I am a firm believer in the paranormal. However, I had never experienced anything of the sorts which I could very firmly classify as a paranormal experience. The incident that I am about to describe, could very well fit into this category as it was also experienced by people accompanying me at that point of time.

It was in the summer of the year 2005, we had been on a holiday to one of the famous Indian hill stations called Manali. We had booked our stay at one of the very well known 3 star hotel. We had booked two rooms adjacent to each other. One for my parents and one which 5 of us children were going to share, two of my cousins (a guy and a girl), my brother's friend, my brother and myself. Me being the eldest of them all.

Now just a quick description of the room we were staying in. As soon as we entered the room, there was a small corridor, to the left of which was a bathroom and to the right was a small wooden staircase that led to the attic bedroom upstairs. A few steps further down the corridor would lead us to a bedroom, followed by a small balcony. We were all very excited to see our room. We entered and saw the entire downstairs and were very happy with it. Next we went upstairs to the attic and all of a sudden everyone fell silent. It was as if every single one of us was feeling a strange aura in that room. There was a distinct feeling of someone being around. Nobody spoke a word for few minutes. However, we decided to neglect the feeling and came downstairs, but no one was ready to sleep in the attic bedroom at night. We also went to my parent's room, which was an exact replica of our room. Very strangely, that room felt pretty normal compared to ours.

The day passed pretty well visiting all the popular tourist attractions around. We returned late evening. My parents went to their room and we went to ours. We spent the next couple of hours playing games. It must have been roughly around 12 am, when everyone started falling asleep. I slept on the bed with both of my cousins and my brother and his friend slept on the extra beds that we had asked for. For some reason I was feeling very scared and anxious all the time I was there. There was this distinct feeling of being watched. Hence I decided to leave all the lights on before sleeping. Everyone agreed to it because maybe they too were scared. Somehow I had this urge to shut the door that separated the bedroom from the corridor. I did so, and then was trying to sleep. Everyone slept but me. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not sleep. There was this weird kind of fear and anxiety that kept me awake.

I don't remember the exact time, but after a short while, I could hear soft sounds of footsteps coming from the attic. It was as if someone was slowly walking towards the staircase wearing heavy boots of some kind. Then all of a sudden I heard loud and quick footsteps as if someone came rapidly down the wooden staircase right until the door that I had shut. The door was made of translucent glass, still I could not see any shadow or any figure anywhere near the door. But I am pretty sure the footsteps stopped right outside the door. Initially, I tried to convince myself that I was probably hallucinating or maybe the sound must have come from any other room in our vicinity. There was a brief pause, after which I could hear the footsteps slowly go back to the attic. A few moments passed and then again I could hear the same sequence of footsteps, this time with a louder sound. It came down rushing toward the door, went back upstairs and repeats. I was absolutely terrified by now. I could barely move and broke down into cold sweat even in the cold weather. I knew by now that something was definitely wrong and very definitely I wasn't hallucinating because I had never fallen asleep and was wide awake the whole time. Everyone else seemed to be oblivious to the happenings and were fast asleep.

I started praying like I had never prayed before. I kept chanting my God's name until the sounds started fading. I don't know when I fell asleep. All of a sudden I was woken up by my mobile phone's ring. I was badly startled. I looked at my phone and what I saw was strange. Some weird number was flashing on my screen which was unidentifiable. It even couldn't possibly be a call from abroad as it was too weird to be any country's code and the numbers of digits were also less. Anyways I answered the call and... Yes... There was nobody talking on the other side. I kept the call on for almost a minute but nobody would speak up. Finally I disconnected the call as I was scared out of my wits by then. I checked the call log. The call had come exactly at 3 am. All that came to mind at that time was the so called bad omen associated with the time "3 am".

As outrageous or unreal as it sounds, I can swear on my life that this phone incident is entirely real. I had no idea what to do. I could not have awakened the other kids as that would have scared them too. And I was too terrified to move even, let alone going out of the room. I spent the night somehow, unaware about when I fell asleep again. Next morning as I woke up, I immediately checked my phone to make sure what I experienced wasn't a dream. It wasn't indeed. I could still see that weird number on my call log. I did not speak about the night to anyone.

The next day passed as usual too. It was night again and my apprehensions started growing. We decided to go to bed around the same time as previous night. My apprehensions were proved true and the same sequence of events started again minus the phone incident. I started praying again. Now what happened this time was that one of my cousins suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. He just sat up in bed blankly. He looked at me for a minute, puzzled, and was off to bed again. I was very confused as to what just happened. But I was too scared the whole time to comprehend any of the happenings. As usual I didn't realise when I fell asleep.

The next night was the same except that this time both of my cousins were quite restless throughout the night and kept moving about in the bed. I went through the ordeal for the third night and had decided in my mind to tell my dad to change our room the next day under any sort of pretext. Luckily my stars favoured me and we had to leave Manali the next day. It was only few months after the tour, that all of us met once again and someone among us mentioned about hearing noises in that room and if anyone else had heard the same. That was when all of us confessed to have heard the sounds but we were too scared and sceptical to admit it.

I still wonder, what exactly was it that we had experienced. Was it a poltergeist? Or a residual haunting of some kind? It remains "UNEXPLAINED"...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pal05, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-25)
REDWOLF- Cant thank you enough for your explanation... It was indeed very insightful... 😁 😊.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-24)
pal05
I will try to explain the difference between a poltergeist and intelligent haunting as best as I can.
A poltergeist is not a haunting, it is more like psychic energy usually associated with kids during puberty (teenagers). There is nothing "demonic" about it.
They don't realize they are doing it but strange things happen around them. Such as doors or cabinets opening and closing. Things that are run by electricity like a television or lights going on or off. This is just a couple of examples of poltergeist activity. I think, and some may agree, that the teenagers emotions have a lot to do with the intensity of activity. If he or she is angry or upset the doors/cabinets/electrical items may go crazy and this will scare not only them but others around them. As the teenager gets older the activity dissipates. This does not happen with all teenagers, I have to clear that up, in fact I would have to say this happens to very few. But in my opinion for those that it does happen to it is because they have stronger psychic abilities. I believe everyone is born with psychic abilities. But a lot either do not believe in the supernatural or were raised not to believe in it.

Now onto intelligent haunting. This is a spirit/ghost that will "haunt" or interact with people. I have had visits from my father in-law and just as in life he is a joker in death. I know when he is around because I can put down my keys or a lighter and a few minutes later they are gone only to reappear a few inches away from where I had put them down after I say okay dad I know you're here give it back. My mother in-law complains that he never visits her. I told her you have to look for signs. She can't find her Atlantic City credit booklet, got a ticket for making a right on red, and got in a hit and run accident, luckily she was not injured. All of these incidences were tied to one person, a "friend" who couldn't be bothered to visit her after the accident. I asked her how many signs she needed from her dead husband to slow down and take it easy at almost 84 with a pace maker with a defibrillator? Many people have had experiences with spirits/ghosts and thankfully YGS allows us to share our stories and read others.
I hope this clears things up for you, at least somewhat. I'm sure more experienced people will correct any mistakes I made as I am not an expert.
I apologize to all for this very long very wordy explanation.
Regards
Red
pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-24)
[at] redwolf- I had a question if you can throw some light on it... How exactly is a poltergeist different from an intelligent haunting?
pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-24)
alright people... The name of the hotel is HOTEL PICCADILY...
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-24)
pal05
Great story and memory. How old were you when this happened? I don't think that there is a problem with naming the hotel as you did not say anything negative about the place. Who knows you may get them more business.
If it was messing with you and called your phone then it is an intelligent haunting. A residual haunting does not know you are there because they just repeat what they did in their own life, sort of a time loop. An intelligent haunting the spirit knows you are there and either will scare you or be nice to you. This is just a general description of the two. It would take much longer to describe different types of hauntings.
aarushi (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-22)
its ok! Its a haunted hotel! Everyone is curious to know d name... Pls tell naa... 😐
pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-22)
[at] adwait- I am from mumbai. And as far as the hotel goes... I don't remember the location exactly, as its been more than 5 years now, but it was in the heart of the city. And as for the name of the hotel, you could mail me personally on my e-mail address mentioned in the comment below, for aarushi.
adwait (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
Where in india do you live?
And where in manali was that hotel?
pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
[at] swimsinfire- you are absolutely right about this site... 😁 and that is the very reason I am a regular at YGS. We're always sure to find greater insights into our experiences with the help of the amazing members here... Thanks for your comment... 😁
pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
[at] elfstone810- I did not hear anything at all on the line... No sound whatsoever... What your suggesting can definitely be a possibility... But how coincidental can it be for the call to come exactly at 3 am...that's what got me in the entire incidence. I never came to a conclusion about the call. It could be either ways... But I hope what you suggested, would be the actual reason... Thanks for your guidance 😁
pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
[at] aarushi- WOW...!so I believe you are probably talking about the same hotel... But I am not sure if it would be a good idea to disclose the name on a public domain. You could mail me at payal5784 [at] yahoo.co.in,and we could communicate further... But nonetheless, thank your stars that you were a kid and weren't allowed to stay there by yourself. I mean if you are talking about the same hotel... 😜
pal05 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
thank you all for your responses and sorry for the delay in reply...
[at] taurus83- I am pretty sure it wanted to bring me back at my wits end wid the phone thing... Because I had just fallen asleep before that... It probably dint want to miss the fun of scaring me... 😆
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
Spooky experience! The phone call might have been a coincidence, though. Did you hear anything at all? Was the line open? I'm thinking it could have been a computer trying to connect to another computer or FAX machine or maybe a robo sales call that got dropped when you picked up. I don't know how it is there, but in the US companies aren't supposed to call cell phones but many do anyway. Often they'll use some trick to hide their real number so you won't know who it is unless you answer.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
Oh my goodness. That sounds like a residual haunting. But the phone thing, it really wanted your attention didn't it? And now I'm curious what your response to Areshi is. This is the best thing about this site, sometimes the stories expand. Thankyou much.
aarushi (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
what hotel is this... I read your story and believe me I am very scared now because iv been to manali too... And iv stayed in a similar room though just for a night... That has an attic... The attic isn't an attic actually... Its a room... That looks like an attic... I am the most daring person in my family... So on seeing d room... I wanted to sleeping upstairs in the attic... But I was too small... So my mom dint let me... But what I find strange after reading your story is that... My mom also requested for a different room the next day... What hotel is this?
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
pal05, I believe it was a residual haunting from what you described. Have you looked on the net and figured out if anyone else has mentioned any experiences of their own? Also though it could be a spirit trying to scare you or looking for attention. They love attention even if its playing with you. 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: