You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Real Or Unreal

Real Ghost Stories

Real Or Unreal

 

This is my third incident that I am going to narrate. This incident happened when I was in college. It was summer and I was staying home for my internship. Before I begin some background information.

We live in a Goan Village. The area where we lived is now developing, then we had only 5-6 houses scattered over hillside. Our house stood on angle of two roads at the foot hill. It's compulsory in Goa to NA the plots, also it is compulsory to built roads which would go up into the hills. Our village those days didn't have street lights or telephones. And in night when it became pitch dark you would see thousands of stars in the sky. And I love silence and dark night sky full of stars.

Now the incident...

That summer I was alone at home with my dog as my mother had gone for holidays. As I was alone without any kind of disturbance I used to sit in my terrace and watch stars every night. So it was on such a quiet night after switching off all the lights except one dim bulb, and I went on the terrace and sat on my favorite ledge of the terrace facing the road. Luckily, my two neighbors were not around so it was very quiet and peaceful. And my dog was not at home as we never tied him, was freely roaming in our area. Though we had made special gate for him to come home whenever it pleased.

I sat there absorbing the silence and watching the sky, lost in my own world. After may be half an hour or so I saw light on the road and silhouette of a person. We had people in our village who return home middle of night after couple drinks. One such man I had seen regularly, he lived on top of the hill. He was tall, very strong with blood shot reds eyes. He would be generally wear only shorts or Bermudas. He never wore a shirt. He had a special animosity with my dog. The moment my dog saw him, he would go on madly barking at him. Also my dog was never alone he was always accompanied by 2 -3 dogs. So imagine couple of dogs running behind a man barking madly. This man would in return throw stones at them, one day he actually ran to kill by dog with knife.

I thought it was him coming home. As he came on the road in front of my house, the first thing I saw was fire torch he carried that was strange as he carried a battery torch. On close observation I realized he was wearing only loin cloth. He had mesmerizing walk. I couldn't stop staring at him. He had walked a little distance ahead and he turned around. And I saw an very handsome man with bloodshot eyes starring at me with a smile. I couldn't take my eyes off him. We may have starred at each other for what seemed like eternity. And he said softly to me "come" in Konkani. I was ready to jump from first floor of the terrace to go that person. But suddenly thought came to me "where is my dog?" Same time I felt two paws on my back. A bolt of electricity flowed through me. The trance was broken and that person turned and walked away. My dog was behind me. I started to cry holding my dog. Strangely I was relieved. And I also realized he was not the regular villager I knew. Who was he?

For couple of days I kept thinking. It was week later talking with my neighbor a old village woman. She told me about "Devchar" a mythical being, forest dweller, allures people to accompany him and later they are found either dead or alive. If found alive they don't remember anything that might have happened to them. Also they could be found very far away from their homes. I didn't know whether to believe her or not. But I kept quiet.

It was many years later while visiting home, my mother told me about a tragedy. One of her school peon sister who was gone missing for months, her skeleton was found on banks of canal far away from home. The forensic investigation would not exactly find the reasons for her death. She had two month baby so they also thought she must have had postnatal depression. Whether there was foul play or had she committed suicide, there were many theories for her death but no confirmed answers.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. Something brought back the memories of "Devchar". That night as I saw lying down with closed eyes I saw the same face of that man. He smiled at me and he said in konkani "Me". Startled I opened my eyes, felt bolt of electricity passing through me.

My dog is dead now but I know he saved my life. Now I feel that there is truly no distinct line between real and what seems unreal or myth.

Other hauntings by maitreyee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, maitreyee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-16)
You should visit Bodgeshwar temple in Mapusa. You will get all answers that you seek.
Rocker303 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-18)
That was really amazing! You narrated very well! There is a strong connection between dogs and spirits I think and thts why they barks all the tym when we feel like some paranormal activity is taking place
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
Dear vasvdutta, how I missed this in August, I don't know. You are really good at narrative and yes, as Seraphina said you created a very good eerie atmosphere for your story. You should definitely thank your dog and who knows what would have happened had he not stopped you and got you away from the trance.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
vm (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
Hi,
I don't know how to expain my feelings and respect for your dog in words...
But I am really thankful to your dog, who saved your life at that very moment.
I had a dog 9 years ago, he was the biggest protactor of our family.
For being so much loyal, was not accepted by bad people and was poisoned by them.
I still have a dog, but I miss him the most.
Thanks for sharing your expierence.
Take Care
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Vasvdutta, wow thank goodness for your dog! I love dogs and from my own experiences, they can sense the presense of a spirit. And they know, instinctively whom to love and not. Anything and everything is possible, when it comes to the spirit realm and ours. Just be careful next time you visit the place. Aweome story! 😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
That was amazing. I've heard of spirits like that in the U.S. Also. Dogs are good that way aren't they? Cat's are pretty amazing friends in those situations too. Great story.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
Great story!
Neither ugly nor handsome, is never a good idea to listen to a strange man asking to follow him. 😜

Thanks for sharing.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
You created an eerie atmosphere for your story. Very effective, Vasvdutta!
Santosh12 (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
That's scary. Thank God you are safe. Between 2 and 4 such spirits are most active from what I have been told. Awesome story

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: