You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Don't Play In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Play In The Woods

 

My story takes place in a small town in central Arkansas. During the summer of 2012, I was hanging out with a couple of my friends in town. The day was very uneventful and boring, and my friends and I don't handle boring very well. We decided to hop in my truck and go for a drive and see if we could find a party or something going on that evening. It was about four o' clock in the afternoon when we decided to drive around.

We drove around town for the better part of an hour and found absolutely nothing to do, so we thought it would be a good idea to start checking out the surrounding towns in the county. The closest town was Vilonia (a small town mainly inhabited by hunters and farmers) so we went there first.

Once we got there, I immediately drove toward the outskirts where it was more likely to find a social gathering of some sort. After a little more driving around, we decided to give it a rest and call it a day.

On the way back, though, one of my companions told me to stop the vehicle because he thought he'd seen something of interest. Wanting more than anything to have something entertaining to do, I complied. I stopped, turned around, and drove slowly until my friend pointed out what he had seen. I pulled off to the shoulder and the three of us exited the vehicle to see a narrow, almost unnoticeable foot trail no wider than two and a half feet wide. I looked at my friends and they looked back at me with intrigue and curiosity in their eyes. We talked about it for a few minutes, debating whether or not the trail was private property. In the end we decided to see where the trail led anyway.

It was around six or seven in the afternoon by the time we reached the end of the trail and at the end, in a clearing, sat an old, structurally unsound looking cabin. I got a weird vibe from the place as soon as I saw it. My friends, on the other hand, were all about going inside to look around. I objected to doing that immediately by saying, "What if somebody lives here?" but to my dismay, both of my friends pointed out that there was no door. It was fallen on the ground in front of the cabin as if it had been removed and left to the elements.

Once inside, all I could smell was dirt and mold and other earthy smells. We also discovered that the cabin was bigger than what it looked like on the outside. There were four rooms: a front room, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a bedroom. Also, it wasn't empty. The whole cabin had furniture and personal effects. If everything hadn't been covered in dirt, dust, and other things, you would think that somebody did, in fact, live there. Given this, we each decided to check out a different room. Darren (the one who noticed the trail) took the front room, Zack took the kitchen, and I took the bedroom. The bedroom, like the rest of the cabin, wasn't at all outstanding. In fact, it was very quaint, as one would expect from a cabin.

I got to looking around the room, picking things up and examining them. I looked around for maybe five minutes when I noticed a change in the air. Suddenly the air in the room felt thick and heavy, and I found it harder to breathe. At first I thought I was getting sick or something, but then I felt it. Someone was behind me. Right over my shoulder. I could feel hot breath running down the back of my neck, and I could hear breathing. I turned around but no one was there. But I could still feel that eerie, unsettling pressure. No sooner than I had turned around I was joined by Zack and Darren who asked me if I had felt something like a heavy weight on my shoulders. I told them I had. I was about to tell them about whatever it was that had been standing behind me when, what was probably the most terrifying thing in my life happened to me. The pressure returned and I felt my feet leave the ground. The next thing I knew, I was flying through the air and crashing through a mostly intact window. The combined impact of the window and hitting the ground knocked the wind out of me. I was conscious for a few more seconds, then I blacked out.

I wish to this day that I could blame what happened on my friends. But how can I? How can I blame someone for throwing me out a window when neither one of them were standing within arm's reach of me? I have no way of explaining this phenomenon other than that it had to be an angry spirit of some kind. Maybe it didn't like me going through that bedroom, or maybe it didn't want any of us in the cabin. I don't know.

But I did go back to where Darren found the trail a few weeks later. Against my better judgement, I started down the trail to the cabin, but when I got there (and this is the part that a lot of you probably aren't going to believe), the cabin wasn't there. It was as if the cabin never existed. There was no evidence that anything had ever been there. And I'm positive that it wasn't a vivid dream or anything like that, because my friends remember it. I haven't had any paranormal or supernatural encounters since, and I hope I never do.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 7Holy7Soldier7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-02)
Hi, my apologies for bumping a 2 year old story. I was just on here lurking reading a few spook tales to kill time, as usual.

7Holy7Soldier7: I found your story very interesting. The eerie part was when you said you felt the breathing down your neck. It was as if the spirit was angry at you for entering the house and was sizing you up before attacking you.

However, I'm with valkricry on the part about the house not being there anymore. Personally I don't believe in places just disappearing like that, but I cannot sit here and tell you what you did or did not experience, as I was not there. However, just as valkricry mentioned, was it possible that you went down a different path on your second attempt, or maybe the house was demolished? Definitely a creepy and interesting experience.
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
I LOVE stories about vanishing houses, villages, hotels, whatever! It makes one wonder about parallel dimensions and the like. Too cool, great story!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
Thanks, Lostghostgal! I live about 45 minutes away from there 😊. Growing up in surrounding towns, I heard many tales about the disappearing house as well as others.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
Claudia Sofia... That's a spooky little folktale. I'd be trapped for sure, I'm a shocker when I shop.
Groovieghoulie (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
Thanks Lostghostgal, I have actually been to that website and it is a good one. This story is very interesting. Takes residual haunting to the next level eh? Wow... Not sure I could handle something like that... Good luck to you 7Holy7Soldier7 if you ever have an update to this story please let us know.
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
7Holy7Soldier7: Maybe it was a time ripple. I don't see why a time ripple could only occur when a building was new and in good shape. But maybe you went back to the wrong place. I'm also in Arkansas and I've heard a few weird stories from that area. There's some pretty good paranormal investigative groups in Central Arkansas. You could check with them and see if they've heard of anyone else with the same experience.
Claudia_Sofia (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
There is another story in Mexico about a store that is supposed to appear and dissapear and only "opens" every two years, in Halloween. People that go in get lost looking at all the things the store have and can't come out until someone else comes in, not sure if that is just folklore or what 😲
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
Here Go Val and Groovieghoulie http://www.prairieghosts.com/bachgrov.html
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-29)
Groovieghoulie, the name of that Downer's Grove cemetery is Bachelor's Grove. A very interesting place indeed!
7Holy7Soldier7; The idea that the cabin never existed doesn't hold water as you and your friends had been inside of it. I'm wondering if maybe you followed the wrong trail back? Even if in that few weeks it had been demolished, the you would still be able to 'see'/ make out where the foundation was. A ripple in time maybe? But then why in such a dilapidated state? Very curious.
Groovieghoulie (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-29)
I also believe that there is a story about a farm house that manifests only every so ofter, complete with lights in the windows and everything on the road that leads to the entrance of Downer's Grove cemetery (very famous, very cool ghost picture of a woman seated on one of the stone benches in the cemetery... Look it up it's a cool place) on the outskirts of Chicago. There are several stories I have read about houses there one moment and gone on the next visit.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-29)
Holy soldier... Wow. Perhaps it was a ripple in the time/space continu-in-u-in-u-ioun... (Terry Pratchet:))... There was a similar story on this site about a house that manifested once only every seven years. I can't remember the name of the story... There is no reason why if residual hauntings manifest on a small scale (humans, cars, carriages etc) that one couldn't manifest in an apparition as large as a house. However, that's some serious manifestation. And you could touch things too. Spooky as. Good read.:)
earthtogillian (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
I do believe this was of the paranormal. I also do think it was indeed an angry spirit. Maybe it was a spirit warning you to not just go to places you haven't been before and for that, I think you did learn your lesson.

The part where you find out your cabin never existed could've been the most terrifying part. I do believe you, but isn't there any possible explanation for it or was it just a mere unexplainable event?

You probably should ask someone the history of the whole camping site. Maybe someone got murdered there and was angry? I don't know, probably.

Thanks for sharing your story! It was a lot of fun reading it! Hope all is well for you! 😊 😊 😊
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
7holy7soldier7, it could be a lapse or opening in realm of spirits. Maybe you 3 were lucky enough to experience that. Awesome and scary, and brave I might add to have the courage to go back to check it out. Oh when you didn't find the cabin, Was there brown grass or a patch of land missing grass? It could be the land owner had it torn down.
Nilyn (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
That's extremely terrifying! Do you think that the cabin never existed and was merely a mirage of sorts? It's odd for it to be gone in only a few weeks, given that it was hidden in the woods.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: