You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Thing In Black

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In Black

 

A friend and I were driving in South Clinton, TN, it was around November, in 2001. We were the only ones on the road at that time, seeing it was after midnight on a week night.

We saw what we thought was a very tall man walking on the left side of the road. The way this man moved was very strange because it seemed like he was having trouble taking steps. It seemed like the closer we got to him, the taller he was getting. My friend said to me, "Do you see that?" I said that I did indeed see it, but I still wasn't alarmed because it could be just a really tall guy.

As we got closer, I noticed that he was wearing a big black hat, and his pants looked like they were too short and his coat was too short in the arms. We were almost side by side with him when he looked over at us and he didn't have a face at all. His skin was a very strange color as well, almost blue. I heard my friend gasp and I looked over at him, with my mouth wide open, because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

We pulled over, exactly right across from it and parked just to look at it better. My friend said, "I'm going to bright light it on the count of 3." He counted to 3 and turned his brights on, and the thing jumped from where it was, all the way up the road about twenty feet. I don't mean jumped up in the air. I mean, it was right in front one second, and twenty feet further up the next. We both sat there and watched in disbelief! I was rubbing my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing stuff.

We had to pull out and pass it again to get to our destination. As we pulled out and passed it, it turned towards the road and stopped. Before I could even say a word to my friend, it was squatting down with its arms over its head, almost in like a tornado drill stance, and it just got sucked backwards! While it was traveling backwards, its arms and legs were straight out in front of it waving around, almost like it was pitching a fit or something. Then, it was gone.

We were so scared that we didn't even go home right away, we just drove in silence.

I still think about that night. Every time I see the friend I was with, he always asks what I think it was. I honestly don't have a clue what it was...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, andreahelp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

simon155 (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-29)
Possibly pointing out the obvious but I see a trend in many of these stories.

Regardless of the figures being black or white, in most cases they are seen in the dark / low lighting, and in the quiet.

In most cases they seem to react badly to light or noise, or the prospect of touch. Almost a panic reaction. Then you have endings like this.

IF there is anything to these stories, and IF there are beings, alive or dead, or whatever, which we are interacting with: It create the impression that their interaction with us is POLICED. What by I don't know. There's a recurring theme of trouble for them if they get spotted or caught.

Humor me - if you ever get an encounter like this again, respond silently. Motion for quiet. Don't turn on lights etc.
iveaquarius (9 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2013-11-10)
Very Odd and interesting, could it have been the slenderman
loutee21 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
Andreahelp

I grew up and still reside in a rural area of Mississippi and have heard many stories as a kid about ghosts or what we call here "hanks". I vaguely recall one story of a tall figure that could move at an incredible rate as to what you explained. (my eyes are tearing up as I type). The figure was also faceless and would never try to utter a word, but just seemed like it didn't want to be bothered... As was told by my Uncle. Some people here, only one in my family,Grandma, could actually see spirits on a regular basis back during the '30s, 40's, when my Grandmother was a child. I haven't posted any stories because I didn't experience them, they did. But I just had to reply to let you know that I've heard of the same figure through stories told by my elders...
Kristy_Glick (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-15)
This sounds a lot like 'The Grinning Man' or Spring Heeled Jack.

Http://www.profilingtheunexplained.com/cryptozoology/the_grinning_man.html
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-heeled_Jack

I know they occurred on the east coast and England, respectively, but perhaps what you witnessed is a similar entity.
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
Shh_im_sleeping I know what you mean I watch that show too I rememeber the name Paranormal Whitness is that right and Yeah two ladies and one male rode in car and pass by to see a teenager girl I thought she was murder not car accdicent must have read wrong maybe you right wish it's play that show again so I can understand. Andreahelp not sure what you saw like Shh_im_sleeping maybe he did died on side of road by car accdicent or murder neither them but he maybe confuse when he saw you and your friend that turn the light on.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
Okay, here's a random weird idea. Has anyone ever been struck by lightning in that area? The "tornado" pose you describe the thing taking is very similar to the "avoiding lightning" position. (Crouch to make yourself as small as possible, feet together.)

Maybe, if someone crouched to avoid lightning but was then struck anyway, what you saw was a reenactment of his death as he perceived it.

Possible?
Hahiha (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
This... This is just weird... And I've been reading stories for a while.
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
Wow. This makes me think of alternate realities/planes/realms/what have you. It seems like this guy/being was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be and he was forcibly sucked back. The theory about this being the scene of an accident is also interesting. I am very impressed with how calm you both were about this. Like mamachong I agree that it is a shame you weren't able to get a picture.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
What a strange story. I don't think I have ever heard any story that even comes close.

Too bad you didn't at least attempt to take a picture.
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
Your story is one of the strangest stories I have read on this site. It reminded me of a story that reinacted on one those paranormal shows. Two ladies had the same experience on a road with a teenage girl... Who had no face. It turned out that the young girl had died in a car accident on that road. Is it possible that man died on that road and his spirit is somehow how trapped there? I think it's possible. It's strange nonetheless and it's an experience that will stick with you probably for the rest of your life.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
andreahelp - when I read your story, I immediately thought of the "Blue People" of Kentucky. But the tall man's inability to walk right and his "flashing" and then being sucked back into whatever the heck that was blew that theory out of the water.

Very interesting story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
This is one of the oddest stories I've ever read. I have no idea what you saw, but kudos to you both for going into the experience with a spirit of curiosity rather than fear! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: