You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Yellow Eyed Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Yellow Eyed Dog

 

My husband and I have a Labmaraner if you will, or half Labrador, half Weimaraner. Fern is extremely sweet but she can also be really creepy. We call her our gargoyle dog because she will stare into corners of our century-old rental house with her head lowered below her shoulders. If you get up late at night you will find her staring into corners just being creepy. We're used to it and we also feel that she is very attuned to things that we aren't and that she protects us. During the day while you're cleaning you will catch her staring at you, giving you her "gargoyle look." She is a beautiful gun metal grey color with yellow, intense eyes and she is a very good dog.

My husband told me he chose Fern because she is literally the dog of his nightmares. The first time he saw Fern he said cold chills ran up his spine and his hairs stood on end. All of my husband's life, he has seen a male, wolf-like dog that resembles Fern--in its color and especially her eyes.

My husband first saw the dog when he was a young boy. He had left his bicycle outside and it was getting dark and there were thieves in the neighborhood. He went outside to bring his bike into the garage when he realized that he was locked out of his house. He turned around and saw the large dog with yellow eyes that bore into him and seemingly seared his soul. The dog had its head down below its shoulders but it did not approach him. The dog did not look approachable and he was instantly terrified. Of course, as most young boys would, my husband freaked out. By the time that his parents found him he was hysterically crying. His mother has corroborated this story.

My husband continued to see the dog throughout his life and most of the times when he would see the dog he would be in a precarious or dangerous situation. Once he saw the dog when he and his friend were in a survival situation on the Appalachian Trail in the Smoky Mountains National Park. They were backpacking when an unexpected snowstorm hit them leaving them stranded. The park service was scrambling to rescue stranded hikers, but my husband and his friend were too remote. My husband's friend was terrified and crying. They both were suffering from the beginnings of frostbite and my husband knew that it would only get worse. He made the risky decision to try to hike out in the blinding snow. The going was slow and the whole time they were hiking the dog followed him. At one point he asked his friend, "Do you see that dog?" His friend did not. Thankfully they made it out, albeit barely. My husband still experiences a great deal of pain and numbness in his fingers, toes, and face but had they not hiked to safety it would have been so much worse.

Another time my husband saw the dog it was while he was riding in the car with his crazy ex-girlfriend and she threatened to wreck her car and kill them both. She slowed at a stop sign and he jumped out of the car to escape. He had seen the dog on the side of the road while she was speeding down a curvy road.

The most recent time my husband saw the dog was while he was fly fishing. He saw the dog on the side of a hill across a creek just staring at him. By this time I had told my husband my theory that the dog was his protector so he was no longer scared of it. Later that afternoon, while he was trampsing around, he stumbled upon a marijuana growing operation close to the creek. He narrowly missed walking through a trip wire. Needless to say, he got out of there very quickly.

This is my theory on the dog but I would appreciate everyone's input. I think the first time that my husband saw the dog as a child that the dog was introducing himself as his animal guide. I think that the dog warns my husband when he is about to encounter dangerous situations, and possibly even protects him and sees him through them. No one else has ever seen the dog. My husband and I have been together since 2010. After we got together he quit seeing the dog for a very long time until the most recent fly fishing incident which was this summer.

Other hauntings by SirenBelva

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SirenBelva, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
SirenBelva,
I tend to agree with you, this dog your husband sees certainly seems to be some sort of protector or early warning system, for lack of a better term.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
Your husband has survived all of these incidents which occurred coinciding with the dog. The dog doesn't seem bad... More so of an animal spirit guide, guardian angel, etc:)
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
Sjaki, my husband is 1/8 Cherokee. We have cleansed and blessed the house. It is over 100 years old and I know there is some residual energy there, including an old Jewish lady who watches over the house. I, too, think it's good that he has not seen the dog recently. He used to be afraid of it, but now that he believes that the animal is his guide, he is no longer afraid. UnicornAnonymous, don't you just love creepy animals? 😉 Even though they make me aware of things I wouldn't otherwise worry about, they make me feel so much safer.
UnicornAnonymous (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
Our dog will start barking at nothing or empty doorways and does the staring thing as well

UnicornAnonymous (Ash)
Sjaki (2 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
I agree with the fact that the dog your husband has been seeing all his life, is his protector and guiding him. He should always take extra care when seeing it. Does your husband maybe have native ancestory?
You should also check your house, your dog is not being creepy, she is watching something, probably not dangerous, but still I would be creeped out waking up and my dog is just staring into a corner in the middle of the night...
Lately your husband has not seen his spirit guide, cause he is okay, no turmoil in his life. But as soon as he sees it, he should just be cautious of his surroundings.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: