You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: October Weirdness

Real Ghost Stories

October Weirdness

 

October has been a rough month for me since 2002. It was the month my son was born. For 20 years we celebrated Halloween together. Then in January of that year, he passed away. I only tell you this, because I think it has some baring on things that are going on. I believe a person's emotional state effects paranormal activity. And despite my attempts to be the happy, outgoing person I usually am, I border on depression during October. As long as I'm around others, I can squash it down, but when I'm alone - well, then the memories bushwhack me and I just get to missing him so much. Like I said, it gets rough for me, but this past October (2013) it got down right weird.

It started with little things, which I attributed to the same spirit as in my Coffee Time accounts. I was repairing some curtains for a friend and my thread went missing, only to reappear right on the end table where I left it. Then I could not find a large tube of basting glue that I KNEW was in my sewing basket - even though I took everything out and put it back in. This tube is about 6-7 inches long, 2 inches wide at the base, a bit hard to overlook. I settled for pinning the material instead, went to reach for the needle and thread, and it was gone again. I thought maybe I had absentmindedly placed it back in the basket. Opening the lid there was no thread but the tube of basting glue was right in the top of it. I took it out, shut the lid, and sighed about getting old. I turned to place the tube on the end table next to my chair and there was the thread - again.

Then there was the ceiling light. Earlier, I would find it on at the oddest times, but I debunked it. It seems that when in the off position, when my cat walks across the top of the sofa and happened to stretch right below the switch, he is just tall enough to knock it into the ON position. Only now it was doing the direct opposite, turning itself off - at the switch.

This sort of thing happened nearly daily - things missing just to show up again, the light flicking itself to off, my chair turning itself to be at an angle; nothing harmful or too crazy. Except for on the 26th around 2 in the afternoon.

I was sitting in my chair, watching some TV and decided I wanted to have some soda. I retrieved a bottle from the fridge, came back and sat it on the end table only to have it promptly fall over. I snatched it up and noticed the end table was slanted! The legs on one side were carefully balanced on the ledge of the glider's runners (the chair that keeps being moved to an angle). These runners are about 2 inches high with only about 1/8th of an inch thick 'edge'. I tried to replicate this and couldn't do it. But what really has me puzzling is NOTHING slid or fell off the table. Not the lamp, or my paper or pen. Not even my glasses. Only that darn soda bottle. The end table itself is fairly heavy being made of 2x4s, so I can't blame the cat, and my roommate was out.

I looked around the room, but except for a slight tingling sensation, I didn't pick up on anything. Out loud I said, "If you want my attention you've got it. Are you here?" Nothing, just the ticking of the clock and the murmur of the TV from the apartment downstairs.

27th: A small pile of things that have been missing are found on the end table. Things that have been gone long enough I figured they were lost for good. My roommate denies any knowledge. Maybe someone making amends for the spilt soda? Anyway after that things seem to have gone quiet again.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-17)
thatscarykid,
Well, ummm, thanks. However, if you want to be taken more seriously, I'd beef up my profile. "Aspiring film maker" tells me nothing. Are you studying film making? If so what school? What do you use the films for? Is it for a school project? Personal portfolio? I'm sure you get the idea.
thatscarykid (1 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2013-11-17)
Hey, I am an aspiring film maker and I am interested in basing a film off of your story...
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-17)
Daz, I totally concur with you. Quite often an attempt at communicating is mistaken for a haunting.
It is exciting that science is so close to proving the collective consciousness. The theory is not a new one, but has never been proven (so far) that everything is somehow connected and driven by a basic energy. Once they prove that theory, they're closer to proving the existence of the spiritual realm and how it interacts with our own.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-17)
Salman, now see? This is why we ask questions, it helps clear up misunderstandings. For myself, 'spell' and 'prayer' are not interchangeable words and have completely different connotations attached. The difference in cultures, beliefs, and even languages can produce stumbling blocks in our understanding of what is truly meant. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-17)
Hi, Red. Ouch! Hope the oral surgery went ok? Generally, at Christmas time, is when I 'feel' my son the most. The best I can come to describing it is like standing in a ray of sunshine and feeling it wrap around you, and I get this big bubble of 'happy' in my chest. I don't know if that makes sense, but I can't describe it any better. Do you have a camera hidden in my house? πŸ˜‰ Because that's exactly how holidays are around here! πŸ˜† I'm forever wondering where the tape got off to, or the wrapping paper. Oddly at Thanksgiving the cranberry sauce ALWAYS goes missing - J really disliked it, and I will find it in the oddest places - once tucked away behind the extra rolls of toilet paper. Honestly, not at my most tired would I stick any kind of edible there! πŸ˜†
salman1993 (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-16)
valkricry thank you for your comment. By spell I meant to make it easier for you to understand. It shows direct result by reading it only once when the ghost in near that is. There are other chapter as well called (Surat AL-Jinns) it is the 72 chapter of Qur'an with 28 verses. If anyone read this whole chapter 40 times after midnight the house will be filled with jinns. Means I prefer that you do not read this 40 times out of curiosity. Another advise of our Islamic believe is they do not come near to fire.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
val
First I have to say how sorry to hear that you lost your son at such a young age. You already know it is your son coming around to cheer you up right before the holidays. The question is is he going to keep messing with you through the holidays? Imagine making Thanksgiving dinner and not being able to find something like a spoon so you get another just to find the spoon right back where it was.
I'm sorry that I haven't commented earlier. Actually I started to, but I had oral surgery Tuesday for an abscess in the root of the tooth. As I was writing I was remembering all of the weird things that have gone on in my last house and this one and became emotional so I had to stop. The tooth cap and all are getting pulled on Monday. I don't know what hurts more paying to have a cap put in then taken out or the actual pain. πŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Yeah, I do. Everybody just has a certain energy that sort of defines their presence and you just know.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
BJJ, Thank you for reading and commenting. I really do see-saw on it. Part of me wants to believe it was him, but I didn't 'feel' him, you know?
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Salman... I do understand that you were offering sincere advise, so for that I thank you. However, I do not agree that all spirits are demons, or need to be vanquished, or are a problem.
We are from very different cultures, so I'll try to explain why I think demons and spirits are two different things. That is not saying that you are wrong, just that we have different beliefs. Demons are fallen Angels. Now according to the Bible, when Satan (who was an archangel, Lucifer by name) decided to rebel against God, he took a large number of angels with him. When the rebellion failed, they were cast out of heaven, and these fallen angels became known as demons. They were never human, they were never 'alive' as we use the term. They are not ghosts.
What you offer as an "Islamic spell" is verse 255 of the second chapter (Surah) of the Holy Quran, Surat al-Baqarah (The Chapter of the Cow), also known as the Verse of the Throne, which to me would be a prayer, like the Our Father in Christianity. Different deities (Gods) but the same sentiment.
Just for the sake to hopefully further understanding between our cultures I'm going to first put an English translation of the Arabic "Verse of the Throne":
"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things In the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permitteth? He knoweth What (appeareth to His creatures As) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass Aught of his knowledge Except as He willeth. His throne doth extend Over the heavens And on earth, and He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory)."

Now the Our Father, or "the Lord's Prayer" which is used in Christianity:

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
(For the Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory are yours
Now and forever (this last line is sometimes omitted by some faiths))
Amen.

Personally, I can see parallels between the two prayers. Both call upon a higher power. Both are reputed to provide a shield against evil. Both declare a one true god. But Salman, I have to ask, why do you refer to this prayer as a spell?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
salman: I'm going to be one of those who put the heat on you. Your comment, though informative, has no place on this particular thread. I suggest you put that information on your profile where it belongs. I, like Miracles, will let your comment stand for now. However, I'll give you 24 hours to put it on your profile and after that it will be deleted. If it's important to you to share this info then do as I ask. Also, please review the "Comments Guidelines" by clicking the link at the bottom of the page, and this in particular:

"This site offers discussions on the topic of ghost experiences, with people coming from various cultures, so please avoid proselytizing or preaching, unless the author of a story specifically asks to receive feedback from that religious perspective. This site is not about religious beliefs, it is about actual personal paranormal experiences and exploring reality with an open and investigative mind so we can actually learn more about the paranormal, with the same empirical mind set that made science so successful in other fields. Religions have a lot of wisdom to offer in terms of personal spirituality, but they can also limit our knowledge of the world with old superstitions and unproven dogmas. It's fine to share what your religion has to offer as a possible explanation, but everyone has their own, they certainly don't come here to be converted, so please, don't push it on others as irrefutable fact."

Thank you! 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Ah, BGP... You really think I'd always type out babygoatpuller? πŸ˜† Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Well what ever it was, as Granny said, it sure did distract me! πŸ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Lesleighra,
You are so right, those two weeks are pure treasure for me. I think, for myself, that it illustrates the saying "blessing in disguise". I certainly didn't view the closing of where I worked as any sort of blessing at the time. In fact that whole year, I began to wonder if I was cursed or something 😐. Lost my job, my son, and then just for good measure we were on the verge of loosing our home. I'm not sure why, but one day I realized I was looking at things wrong. Everything is a choice. I could choose to huddle in the mire of self pity, or I could stand up, and look at things from another perspective: The two weeks were a gift, my son was no longer in agony, and I could try and sell the house which was way too big for just my daughter and me before the foreclosure took effect. I didn't know what lie ahead, but that's just part of the adventure. What I can not change nor alter, I must accept and move on. Sure, I still stumble and sometimes even fall, but that's ok, as long as I remember to look for the good and stand back up.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
[at] Val, you touch on some good points I think on the superficial level of consciousness basically the level we interact with whilst wide awake our ability to communicate with them at the best of times is very weak and generally consciousness does not appear to have any sorts of real energy unless we go deeper into it sometimes by choice and other by nature, for example via mediation or other reasons that brings our consciousness closer to theirs... I believe deep down at the microscopic level of consciousness, real energy drives our world and theirs exactly the same and as I pointed out previously with some excitement our scientific community is now concluding it almost as fact, the only difference is it's separated by mind and matter... I believe when we die, we find ourselves in the 4th Dimension and just like as we can look at 2 Dimensions, they have the ability to look at us in this 3 dimensional world far more profoundly from where they are... And perhaps here is where I feel they get a little frustrated at times? Could you imagine looking at your loved ones trying to communicate with them and not being able too? What would be your next move? Although I agree that some ghost do interact mischievously, I think at times their efforts to come through is mistaken as a haunting when in their reality it is more of an attempt to make contact with us... And your gut feeling about our emotions is a very valid one in my view, it does play a link in connecting both worlds.

Regards Daz
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Nathaniel,
A WTH moment! I love it! πŸ˜† Did you actually see your license float down from wherever? Now, if you did, that is really something! Because generally, the actual movement of something from point A to point B is never reported. It seems we only see the end result. Thank you so much for sharing that. 😊
salman1993 (5 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Sorry please let me explain, "Human" in Arabic language is called "Insan". Similarly Arabic word is "Jinn" and the English of that word is demon. Sorry that I didn't explain it properly at the beginning. 😒
salman1993 (5 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Miracles51031 thank you I really appreciated your comment. It seems that I have gone too far. Really I am sorry about that. But please try the spell. It is the only evidence I can give. ❀
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Morning Val, this is an incredibly touching series of events. On the one hand, I feel that if it were your son, you would have recognized him right away. On the other, I understand completely what you say about how it may have been difficult to have actually seen him, to know for sure. Sometimes, it's the mystery of things that make life beautiful, and keep us going. And every so often, it takes a mystery to get through and bring us out of our pain.
❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
val - excuse me a sec. Got to get somethings off my chest.

Salman - wow, first you're going to get a lot of heat from this and I think you know probably know it. Might have been better if you'd have said "In my opinion" because none of what you have stated is fact. It is simply what you believe, because I, for one, do not believe one thing that you have said.

My opinions and beliefs are so far different than yours that I honestly do want to delete what you have said, but I can't because I would only be doing it because I disagree with it.

I appreciate it that you took my advice and didn't copy/paste your original posting. Thank you for that. But remember, and realize, that not everyone is of the same opinion you are. We are all different here; have different beliefs, based on what we have experienced, our religion, faith, culture, etc. So to come on someone's story, like this one, and state that it's a demon? You didn't use good common sense. If you're going to make such a statement, I wouldn't have chosen one like this. 😐

This comment from salman1993 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
Daz,
I often wonder why some spirits will speak, and show themselves, and others prefer to manipulate things. I use to think that it dealt with abilities, since as I was growing up I often saw and spoke to people that others couldn't. Then I thought maybe it has to do with the spirit's level of energy, as sometimes I only experience things moving. Or maybe it deals with my own level of energy at the time. I'm really not sure. Of course, it's just as possible that it's all by choice. The spirit elects to manifest or not, speak or not, et cetera, and how much they can do limited by energy levels to be had - both yours and theirs. Anyway, the up shot of this is I just don't know why things are as they are, but I do know emotions play a role. (OK, I don't actually know that - but it's a gut feeling.) In a realm filled with the impossible being possible, I think there's a chance that if this was my son, he could opt not to show himself to me as given my emotional status it could have increased my longing/ depression. Sort of like showing a starving man a sandwich and saying "ok you can LOOK but don't eat it," - it borderlines on being cruel. *shrug* again, I don't know for certain.
Anyway, thank you very much for your input. 😊
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
I think it was probably your son trying to "pick you up" as Miracles and Granny said. He knows October is a hard month for you and wants you to remember the good times.

You'll remember his passing but forever hold his life in your heart. 😊
Lesleighra (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
"With the passing of time, what I get to feeling is like being homesick, only it isn't for a place but a person." Made me tear up. I bet those two weeks were something you will never forget. My heart goes out to you, but I am happy to see how positive you can be 😊
Nathaniel (37 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
First of all, Valkricry, I'm truly sorry about the loss of your son. I can't even begin to fathom something like that. The weird stuff that happened to you, reminds me of something that happened to me. Even though I am in my 40's, I sometimes still get carded when I go to buy cigarettes or alcohol. Once my license went missing, and the last place I remembered having it was at the gas station. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find it. So, I decided to try looking for it 1 more time before returning to the gas station to see if I left it there. I used to have a drawer where I put my wallet, keys, loose change and etcetera. I started looking in there, moving things, and had spread things around. I had a small little area that was then empty. Then all of a sudden my license floated down from wherever, and landed neatly in that clear area. Totally freaked me out, so I just said thank you to whoever brought them back. I agree with Arwen, it just seems like a prankster. That's how my experience felt, as well. 😁
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
Sorry about the loss of your son, although they say time heals all wounds, I'm sure it would take extra longer with something so tragic as losing your own child, keep your chin up mate and take some comfort in knowing one day, you'll both be reunited in person that I can reassure you... I think your right when you say that our emotions can effect paranormal activity... There is currently a revolutionary discovery going on from the scientific community, that believe at the basic fabric of life itself on what they call the planck scale, the atoms that conform us and all matter throughout the universe is connected by our consciousness, basically consciousness drives the universe and in my view, we live physically in a matrix of our own spiritual mind not the other way around and your son is actually at his true residence of life what the christians refer to as heaven and for the rest of us we continue on with the struggles of this life and world which at times seems so unfairly tormenting, perhaps that's our purpose of being here to experience everything good and bad?... If we are connected to the universe by consciousness then it would be fair to assume we are connected to it on a emotional level and yes our departed loved ones can pick up on our emotions and often respond to them... They would prefer to talk to us and I have been lucky enough to do so... But usually the next best thing is to move things around etc... Just like in your account and you can take solace in knowing this is your son reaching out saying to you mom I'm ok and still with you... Take care and thank you for sharing.

Daz
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
Fergie,
Naw, on the creep-o-meter this was a solid zero. But sure is a head scratcher. Another strange thing, yesterday I received junk mail addressed to my son - but he has NEVER lived here πŸ˜•, d he's been gone a long time. (My guess - someone really needs to work from a newer mailing list! πŸ˜†)
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
Dear lady-glow,
Please don't cry for me. I was blessed to have my son with me for 20 years, and that is so much more than many mothers get to have. I have so many good memories because of that time. Also, his final Christmas, I received a 'gift' that at the time seemed nothing short of a cruel blow. The company I worked for shut down and I lost a job that I loved, and I was having no luck in finding another. Sucks right? But two weeks later he was gone from my life. Loosing my job when I did gave me two weeks with him, that I would not have had otherwise. Time spent laughing, and acting silly together. Of dancing in the kitchen, and him asking me to sing old songs. Long talks. Time, for a little while at least when I could believe he was becoming himself again, leaving no doubt for me, that when he went, he knew he was loved. So weep not, I do miss my boy, but we can not ask more from this life then to depart it knowing we are loved.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
Crixus,
I don't think it's that I'm so brave, just that I've been dealing with the paranormal for a very long time, and (for myself) being straight forward with them seems to work best. Also, as I've said time and again, I felt no fear. Now, to be honest, there have been times when I need to pull out my old mantra of "Don't pee, don't faint" when dealing with a nasty. πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
Val I love your narrative, and I love a puzzler - that is surely what you have posed us this time. If it wasn't your son, who the heck was it?

As long as you don't feel creeped out by these occurrences, I guess it's just a mischievous spirit. πŸ˜‰
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
valkricry: it seems to me that someone was trying to make you smile, and in the process made me cry reading your story. 😒
I'm sorry for your loss.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: