You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Fairy Lights

Real Ghost Stories

Fairy Lights

 

As most of you who have read my submissions know, I've had a lot of experiences with the paranormal. I'm not saying that as a form of bragging or to impress, it's just a statement of fact. However, until recently, I thought I had not encountered the most commonly claimed; that of seeing orbs. Not in any picture I ever took, or any unexplained happening have I seen anything I'd term an orb.

At least, that's what I thought, until I read "Biblio At Warwick Castle" (https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=26429), and his description of an orb he witnessed.

This particular line, "I did not wear glasses at that point in time, so I know it wasn't a reflection; it looked like an electric dandelion seed, floating lazily about the room about five feet above the floor," had me sitting open mouthed, with the phrase Fairy Lights dancing across my mind, as I was catapulted back decades to when I was a child. Until I read his description I never, ever thought that perhaps they were orbs... Just wee bits of a magical realm I was allowed to see.

Back then, I was somewhat of a middle child; the twins (18 years my senior) were married, and my oldest brother was off to war. That left my two older brothers, two younger siblings and myself with our parents. Naturally being 4 and 5 years younger than the boys, and a GIRL to boot, my brothers would often ditch me unless I could be of some use to them. My remaining sister was 2 years younger, and baby brother was 5 years my junior; Mom was often too busy with them or sorting out the older ones to pay me much mind.

I was about 6 when I saw the lights the first time. We had just moved, yet again. This house had a very large yard, with a field running next to it. It was dusk, and we 'older' kids were almost dizzy with the freedom of being outside without a grown up. We had been shown the yard's perimeter and instructed to stay in it, but that didn't stop my brothers from giving me the dodge, so I was alone with our dog, Rebel, playing in the light that flowed from the house's windows.

When I saw the first light, I remember thinking, 'lightening bug', but then I noticed it didn't blink, the way they do. It was a steady glow, very soft, and a bit fuzzy at the edges. I watched as it floated about and was soon joined by another, and another. I remember thinking how pretty they were, as dozens of these miniature 'electric dandelion seeds', soon appeared, some coming quite close to me, before changing direction and rejoining the others. I glanced at Rebel, who had seated himself by my side. He gave no indication of anything being amiss, but seemed to be watching them too.

Being six, I decided that those lights could only be the lights of fairies off to some wondrous party. I watched them fade out of sight.

The lights were not a nightly thing, but then neither was being outdoors at dusk. I tried telling about them, but was only laughed at, told I was mistaken, and they were lightening bugs. After that, I kept my sightings to myself.

Flash forwards a few years. We've moved several times, and the fairy lights seem to be a thing of the past. It's winter, and I'm finally coming home from a short hospital stay. (Nothing dramatic, just a simple tonsil and adenoid removal.) There had been some complications and instead of being overnight, I had been kept nearly a week. I'm almost 12, and sit in the back seat being quiet, and looking out the window. My throat was still raw, making speech difficult, which was just as well; my father had already made it quite clear that he'd rather be doing anything else but bringing me home, while my Mom was quietly euphoric about it, reaching back to pat my hand now and then, or asking me if I was hungry. It wouldn't have surprised me if she'd had jello in her purse in case I said yes.

It's almost dark as we approach the big bridge going home. It's a very long bridge, something like 507 feet long. I gaze out, down into the water, and see tiny fairy lights dancing here and there. Mentally I sort them out from the reflected lights. I hear my dad ask what the hell am I looking at. Without thinking I croak, "the fairy lights." I hear him tell my mom that with an imagination like mine I'd never be lonely. Just then, one came up quite close to my window, and stayed even with us as we crossed the bridge's span. At the end it turned going through the girder. I didn't bother to even mention it. But, it's always been enough for me to know that no matter where I was there was always the possibility of fairy lights.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Welcome2myfreakyfreakshow (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
I've seen an dandelion like orb/fairy light once. I was at work on a 10 minute break. I was looking down at my phone when something caught my attention.

On my right side I see what looks like a dandelion puff go through my windshield heading straight at my face. Then, all the sudden, it turns, goes in between my driver and passenger seat and out the back glass.

I even got out to see if it was something physical and seen nothing. It floated so gracefully, it was like time went in slow motion all the way until it exited the vehicle.

Never seen anything like it before or after that day. I've always wondered what it was.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-01-06)
Hey Val,

Do you remember if these lights had any colour to them? Only the light things we saw a few years back were yellowish, wondered if they were the same kind of entity.
Glad you shared this!
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-11)
Such an enchanting story, loved it. I too had my tonsils out at 12 years old. I DO actually have a few pictures of orbs, one is pure white above my hand waving hello to the camera. I love how one of your fairy lights stayed by the car with you that evening on the drive home. ❤
Dar77 (10 stories) (64 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-29)
Yet another delightful tale and the narrative so theatrical! Thank you so very much for enlightening all of us with your positive self.
irshaad96 (1 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-02)
Hello Val, I sent you a mail on valkricry [at] hotmail.com, please check it is urgent 😐
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-13)
Mrs. Rizzo, thank you very much for reading and commenting.:)
MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-10)
Thank you for sharing your story it made me smile. I thought you wrote you experience very nicely:)
I enjoy reading about the fae.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-03)
Sush! How have you been?
Fairies are elementals, so perhaps they are related to your "spirits of the lost noble souls"? With so many having witnessed those lights, surely there is something to the stories, they must be seeing 'something', be it elementals or some natural phenomena. But, I'll bet almost all of those folks felt they witnessed something spectacularly special. 😊
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-05-03)
Hello Val, late to join the string.
I never seen or experienced Feiry/Ghost lights so far. However I have seen fire ball light in the summer night once say 12 years ago.
I have very little knowledge about this phenomenon I have heard from my friends and elderly persons of my family who lived close by to the Chandraprabha bioreserve where they claimed seeing tiny lights/ group of lights moving randomly in the forest area. They are not always seen but they are quite oftenly seen in the mid summers and winter season.
People called them "Spirits of the lost noble souls", the elimental spirits.
While reading your experience, it just reminds me of those tales. I guess these spirits are not harmful.
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful and new experience.

Take care Val. Wishing you good health.

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
5 years ago (2019-05-01)
Haven, I've tried replying to you at least 4 times. All 4 times I was told 'you must wait at least' ya-da ya-da. 🤔 So I decided maybe I should just wait for a bit. Then of course Life happened - so sorry for the long delay. I DO appreciate that you read and commented.

Lucia, I've heard about the wee folks as far back as I can recall. Some of the elders, who told me all kinds of lore about them, were staunch believers, and some others were of the mind it was for children's entertainment.
Our minds are very complex things and will go to great lengths to 'explain'things within our realm of experiences. Of course, as children, our experiences are limited, and ANYTHING a grownup or older kid told you was gospel truth. So when I saw these lights, that I knew weren't fireflies/lightning bugs, my mind took the next logical step - they must have been fairy lights. I had no better explanation. However, with Biblio's description of what he saw, I have to wonder if they were orbs. Or maybe, just maybe what he saw was a fairy's light? Hmmmmm.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-29)
I really liked your story. I'm sure you saw something there. I don't know myself if I believe in fairies. I'd really like too though. I have a fascination with them and those girls of the Cottingley fairies.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-25)
Rex, I'm sure many experiences get shrugged off, probably as many as there are 'experiences' that could be explained by mundane causes. It's a two way door, after all. Some folks are too eager to believe, and some simply won't, no matter if they can't explain it. Then again simply because one can't explain something, doesn't mean someone else couldn't.All you can do is keep an open mind, and try to stay rational.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-23)
Hi, Val -

What a wonderful thing to experience. I'm sure these lights showed themselves to you for a reason. They wanted to make you feel special and showed themselves to you exactly when you needed it the most.

Thank you for sharing.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-21)
Val, Biblio and others that have been blessed with seeing this phenomenon, let me start by admitting that I have never personally experienced seeing orbs, fairy lights or, for that matter, even fireflies or lightning bugs.

I have seen green orbs and swirls of glowing green luminescence dancing in waves, before they break on the shore at night. The scientists will tell you that this is caused by the agitation of algae that contain phosphorous. I've seen images supplied by trusted sources where I could clearly see an orb with a faint "wake" trailing it, as it moved down some steps. The photographic experts would tell me that there was probably an issue with the exposure.

I wonder sometimes whether I have seen them but have somehow argued the experience off with some kind of scientific explanation and then forgotten. Hopefully, someone will record an episode on YGS that will unlock a long-hidden memory.

Thanks Val
Rex-T
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-20)
Hi Caz, and Filmbuff,
Thank you both for reading and commenting. I have to admit, seeing those wee lights always made me feel a bit special - since no one else saw them (or at least admitted to), like a wonderful secret.

Jubeele, as I mentioned the thought that what I was seeing might be orbs, never entered my 6 year old mind. Took me nearly 6 decades to make that connection! Lol Not that I would have understood what orbs were back then. Just like I never connected the spirits I saw with dead people, until I was much older, (to a 6 year old, 12 is ancient) and that wasn't until my maternal grandmother showed up in my bedroom. I knew she had died, yet there she was. That was when I knew I had been seeing spirits.
Lightening bugs/fireflies, those were something I was quite familiar with, and those electric dandelion seeds, were definitely not them.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-20)
Biblio! I was hoping you would see this. 😊 There is something magical in the triggers of memories isn't there? How suddenly, *CLICK*, things make a bit more sense, or we see them differently than before.
Like yourself, I wondered how/why I had never seen an orb, especially since it seems fairly common.Then, somewhere along the way, I started thinking perhaps paranormal 'gifts',were abit like other senses, how if you loose one the others become stronger. I've seen more than my fair share of apparitions, which many orb sighters apparently did not, so perhaps a trade off of sorts? However, your description caused me to rethink my fairy lights. 😲
On the other hand, who's to say, that orbs are not the tiny magical lanterns borne by fairies? We'll never know for certain - well perhaps we will in the here after - but we do know what we saw were orbs.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-20)
Val, always good to read about your experiences. 😘 That's simply amazing. I've never seen any orbs that you and many others have described. People who have seen these lights or orbs, have told me that they think these could be souls or spirits manifesting as tiny balls of light energy.

Like Biblio, I have this urge to do something rather violent when I read how your father treated you. But you've captured the wonder of childhood, which has a special magic all of its own. And Mom made everything all better.

Since you were not near a coal mine, landfill or swamp, I think marsh gas or ignited methane can be ruled out. You clearly did not feel they looked like fireflies, otherwise known as lightning bugs. Then there remains "the possibility of fairy lights".

Oh, how cool! 😊

Https://www.thoughtco.com/fascinating-facts-about-fireflies-1968117
Filmbuff1234 (13 stories) (33 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
Interesting story. I'm not 100% sure about the existence of fairies (I've never experienced them) but I believe your story and it may have been fairies or something else.
Caz (342 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
What an amazing, magical expererience that must have been Val! I wish I could see something like that. You're so lucky.
Thank you for sharing it with us! 😊
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-04-18)
Greetings, Val!

I usually read the latest published narratives in order (OCD) but I saw this title and thought "Yes! Val's lights!" Your description of them conjures up clear images of their movement and grouping.

I admit that your father's general attitude toward you was so hostile that I felt like giving him a good slap on the back of the head. On the plus side, your mother and at least one of the fairies were interested in how you were doing.

It's astonishing, isn't it, that years after the fact, just the right description, sound, or scent will jog loose a memory that we hadn't previously associated with other data, and it just pops into place like a missing jigsaw piece? About a year ago, I was lamenting that I would love to see an orb; now, I know I had seen *one* orb without knowing what it was. I think that this ability to review old events with new perspectives is what keeps our minds young, flexible, and -above all- curious.

Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: