You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Kangaroo... in Texas?

Real Ghost Stories

Kangaroo... in Texas?

 

When my brothers were about 10 years old and 8 years old respectively they had been playing in my mother's room in a large cardboard box that they had turned into a fort. We were the kind of kids that could turn sofa cushions, bed sheets and a cardboard boxes into a mission control station worthy of nasa. This drove our mother crazy but our father thought it was cute so we got away with this on a regular basis.

That evening the hallway light had been turned off to "save" electricity, which is something my mother was famous for doing (and still does). My brothers were joking around and playing at being astronauts when suddenly I heard them both scream and duck for cover knocking over several things.

Being twelve whole years old I considered myself far too mature and sophisticated to play fort with my infant brothers so I had been reading in my bedroom on the other side of the hallway. I came into the room all authoritarian and asked them what was wrong and they said that they saw a "kangaroo" jumping down the hallway. I told them to stop playing around but they continued saying that they saw "a kangaroo" jumping down the hall looking like a shadow but definitely not a human shadow. I asked them it if could have been either of our dogs but they told me the "kangaroo" had been standing on its rear legs jumping down the hallway pausing once to "look at them" (How a shadow looks at you I don't know) and then continuing towards my room.

I never saw what they saw but they were adamant and refused to leave the hall light off ever again.

Other hauntings by bogienova

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bogienova, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

emjayne (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-07)
I am from Australia, and I agree with everyone else. Children absolutely love kangaroos. So its doubtful the spirit ever actually intended to scare your brothers. However, my mind does move to another possibility; what if the ghost never intended to look like a kangaroo, that's just how your brothers young minds interpreted it? It may have been another shape, but I guess we will never know!
SparklinBurgndy (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-15)
I have seen something like what you're describing only in Indiana. It was the perfect outline of a kangaroo crossing the road only there were no details. It was just a black shape.

And before anyone says 'hey a kangaroo at night would look like a black shape' this one was in my headlights. If there were details to be had, I should have seen them.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Hello! Like everyone else, I agree it might have been a playful spirit that didn't want to scare your brothers and tried to appear to them as something friendly. Shadowpeople are kind of shapeshifty and inconsistent, so it makes sense. Thanks for sharing your story!

Blessings,
DA
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Brownie09,
Thanks for the comment.I've always thought that it was strange but maybe you are right and it appeared as something a kid would like rather than something really scary. It was always rather friendly more than terrifying.
Bogienova
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Wow, good story and sorry for the late comment. It seems weird that a kangaroo would be in texas, but hey it might have been something that disguised itself knowing that your brothers were little and that ya'll would pass it off as their imagination or mind playing tricks on them. That is just my opinion and cute story. 😊
SapphireWings (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-15)
Uhh...kind of creepy, don't you think? 😕

LOL, anyways... I really enjoyed reading! A very strange and funny story. 😉

Love,
SapphireWings ❤
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
?,I don't get a single idea what ghost is this, even I'm confused by this ghost. 😕

I don't want to tell any one about this type of ghost until I found the answer.
skeptical81 (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
haha cute! I remember being little and swimming in our lake in NH and "seeing" a seahorse! I was POSITIVE I saw a seahorse in that lake, I told my parents and they told me I was nuts because seahorses only live in the ocean! I can still remember to this day having my goggles on and seeing it just sitting on the bottom of the lake! Silly ha? 😆
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-15)
its not that scary but it is very wierd is there any thing else that happened there because id love to hear about it maybe it was there imagination bye 😊
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-15)
Hi Bogie, you are a great story teller! This is such a funny tale! This would have been the 'dork' from the previous story? Maybe he has some kind of second sight? You should ask him a few questions about whether or not there were any other odd things going on with him.
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-14)
It scared the crud out of them that's for sure but it never hurt any of us. Kind just liked messing with our heads I think...
meg (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-14)
A kangaroo in Texas? Now that is strange! Its a long way from home! Funny story though.
Hada (36 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-13)
Someone wanted to play with your brothers too. Good thing it came as a kangaroo and not as something else.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: