You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Rose in Bloom in the Middle of Winter

Real Ghost Stories

Rose in Bloom in the Middle of Winter

 

My eccentric friend Laurie has told me many stories of her experiences with strange things. Here is one that involved her beloved grandmother. Laurie (which by the way is not her real name) did not have a good childhood. Laurie's mother was a very cruel woman who on paper sounds like a Disney villain. Cruella Deville would constantly physically and emotionally abuse my friend and gloried in anything that caused her pain.

Laurie would tell me that her mother would ask her constantly "Why did she have to have such a fat ugly daughter". My friend being a smart-arse from birth would reply "Why did I have to born to mother who would say such a thing to her fat ugly daughter?" Laurie told me that her mother will never die because Heaven doesn't want her and the devil would think it was a hostile take over. Awwhhh... Family the ties that bound and gag...

Laurie's mother was prone to send Laurie away when the bruises got too prominent and she would send Laurie to her grandmother's house for an extended stays. If you're wondering why the police were not called it was because this was in the days when Child protective services were not in full force and abuse was viewed as a family problem not a police problem in rural small town Texas.

Laurie's grandmother was full blooded Choctaw Indian and she believed that all things have a spirit that should be respected and loved. Laurie loved her grandmother very much and looked forward to spending time with her snapping peas on her front porch to hear her stories. This same grandmother taught her to play poker just in case she ever needed money, what a gal.

When Laurie was barely eleven or twelve years old her grandmother passed away. It was the middle of winter in Texas, which means you probably needed only a sweater to stand the "chilly weather". However Laurie was missing her grandmother and looking out of a window at her house. She silently asked her grandmother if she missed her. Laurie looked out into the yard at the rose-less rose bushes that were there in the front yard. Laurie has always told me like this "A yellow rose bloomed in the middle of the rosebush and stayed that way for a minute before falling away petal by petal". It was winter people. Roses do not grow in winter and certainly not in front of you! Laurie's grandmother sent her a message of hope that she has carried with her for over thirty years.

Other hauntings by bogienova

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bogienova, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-14)
A very moving story indeed. Showing this rose to Laurie was one of the best gifts she could have, from the Grandmother that taught her what Love really was about. Not only in life, but in death too. Great story.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I am so glad for Laurie. To be able to come through that kind of abuse at a time when it was considered commonplace with the air of a lady is a wonderful gift in itself. That makes this story COMPLETELY beautiful, and not just absolutely...
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Glad you like it... Laurie is a wonderful and loving friend, who has dealt with her past with grace. She is very happy now...
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
What an absolutely lovely story and tribute 😁 I thank the good Lord that Laurie at least had this women, her Grand mother. It sounds as if BOTH Laurie and her Grand mother are very amazing women.

What a poetic and beautiful sign! Think about it, had the Grand Mother shown herself, it probably would have scared poor Laurie to death, had there been another sign given not carefully planned out, well it could have been explained by many other reasons. How beautiful!

Grand mother has class ❤

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
AMEN Grandma! THANK YOU!
Hello bogienova.
The absolute beauty in this story is the fact that the winter people did not send a red rose (the color of love), nor a white rose (the color of purity), or even a pink rose (the color of gentleness). They sent Laurie a yellow rose (Promise of a new beginning). How more accurate could they be?
The message is very clear, and given from Grandmother through the winter people for only Laurie's eyes, mind and heart. I hope she only felt peace at this as it was an extremely spiritual retelling for me.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
Hi bogienova.Yep... Granny sounds like my kind of gal. Tell your friend Laurie that love doesn't need a season, as she has already seen. Even though this was a "second-hand" story, I believed it, thank you so much for sharing it with us. As for the rose blooming, I believe that was for her eyes only-if someone had of been with her, they probably wouldn't have seen anything. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: