You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Just A Feeling

Real Ghost Stories

Just A Feeling

 

To be honest, I am not sure if this is just a result of an overactive imagination brought on by watching programmes such as Most Haunted, or if it is genuinely something I 'picked up on' or 'sensed'. But to me the feelings and thoughts experienced were real enough and something I often find my mind wandering too even now. I would just like to state, I am no sensitive (that I'm aware of) and only believe I have briefly seen what could have been an apparition once, and that could be debatable.

In June 2005 I had met a girl who would go on an become my wife and mother to my daughter. We lived separately for a while, I lived with my mate in his flat, and she lived in a shared house after moving to the area from out of town. We were doing all the things couples do when they are newly together, life was good.

In June 2006 I received a tax refund of around £2,500, which to me is a lot of money. With this money we decided we were going to find a house to rent and move in together, it seemed the logical next step. We were nervous about it, and looked around a few houses but nothing seemed right for us, either too far from work, was too big, too small, or generally just minging (we didn't have a lot of money for monthly rent). Then we found a house available on the outskirts of the village I had grew up in. We looked around it, it was a perfect fit, and even better, it was affordable. So we did the paperwork and signed a 6 month lease and moved in.

Now a brief description of the house - it was parts of a terrace of houses on a slight hill, built in around the 1840's for railway workers. It had few original features, although the original fireplaces in the living & bedrooms were still there, although blocked up. As you go through the front door, you enter the living room, a square room with fireplace and large flat window looking out the front. Walk through the front room and you come to a dark middle room, approx. 20' x 20'. This room had little natural light and from the off felt negative and eerie (I put this down to the lack of light and the old horse hair couch sat in there). From this room you walk into a narrow galleon kitchen, which had a door to the right leading to the back garden, and at the far end of the kitchen was a family sized bathroom. Also leading off the eerie middle room was dark wood slatted stairs which lead to the main bedroom straight ahead, and a smaller second room to the right as you got to the top of the stairs.

The house was pretty small, but we were very excited to be living there. From day 1, the spare bedroom was not a place either me or Gem wanted to be, it was a small room big enough to fit a double bed, wardrobe and draws in, little else. It had the emersion heater cupboard in also. When I was putting the spare metal bed frame together, I spend the most time I ever did in there. It felt claustrophobic, oppressive, and like you had walked in someone else's room uninvited. We only ever went in there if we really needed too, which was rarely. Our bedroom had a similar feeling, but nowhere near as intense, although the feeling did get stronger at night. I would sometimes be lying in bed at night watching TV, and would just find myself staring at the closed door, almost expecting it to open. It never did.

The worst part of this house to me was the dark middle room downstairs. I would literally run through it. I don't know why, it just always seemed an involuntary action. We had a large desktop PC at the time on table placed in there, and if I ever needed to use it, I would wheel it into the front room just to avoid sitting in there.

Over time it got worse, and finally it peaked. I like to play my PlayStation to unwind, and would sit up in the evening playing once Gem had gone to bed. I had a clear view from my seat through the middle room into the kitchen. And although it started with a feeling of being watched, over time I would be so distracted I would have to get up and close the door, move my seat, or just leave the downstairs altogether and go up to bed.

I started getting pictures flash through my head. The image I repeatedly got night after night was of an old man, quite tall, with thinning white hair, down turned snarling mouth with dark, very piercing eyes. I could kind of visualise him stood in the doorway leading from the middle room to the kitchen, and he felt evil. I can describe his as nothing but wanting to hurt me, wanting to cuss and shout and do horrific things to me. I never physically heard anything, it is just part of this feeling I had. It didn't matter what the time of day was, this man was there, but the only time I got these mind images was when I was just sat by myself, almost when he could get to me. I can't describe how bad this feeling was, or how evil they were also.

As our 6 month lease was up, circumstances were able to help us move out to a better suited house for us. And as it transpired the owner of the house wanted us out so he could move back in. When this was confirmed I felt such a sense of relief, almost happy. I didn't know if it was all in my head, but the only place I felt this man was in this house, and now I was leaving.

I had never mentioned it to Gem, I just didn't want to frighten her for no reason. After we had left, and settled in our new abode, I said, just in passing, "I think that place was haunted anyway." To my shock, she said, "Yeah, I felt like there was an old man there, near the stairs, and he was not good at all." I asked her to elaborate, but she says that was the only feeling she ever had, but she says she felt it quite a lot.

I don't know if we had actually felt a spirit there, or if it was just suggestive because the room was dark and eerie, but I know that I didn't speak to Gem about it at all, and she knew it was there. That amazed, and still does amaze me. She won't watch ghost programmes, or horror films or anything scary at all, so her mind surely could not have been influenced by this. It was just a feeling.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions and thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Griff84

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Griff84, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-02)
Hi Griff, trust your gut, Always! It is seldom wrong.

I am glad you escaped "Mr Nasty". It wouldn't do to have him around a new baby. Congrats on that, BTW. New life, new home, things should be sweet for you now, even with the colic. 😉

Thanks for the post Griff.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-02)
Aaah thank you Miracles, as you know its not so easy with a new born, especially with colic... Time just seems to run through your fingers like sand.

I have had a brief nose round and see some regulars have not posted in a while, perhaps its has something to do with holidays or the weather... Things never seems so spooky in the glorious sunshine 😆 😆

I hope your well.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-02)
Griff - congratulations on the new baby girl❤ Sometimes we (at least I) tend to wonder why our regular members have disappeared. At least this time it's a wonderful thing 😊 And welcome back:)
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Angel9090 - Thanks for your comment. It appears you truly have a special gift if you can pick up that information from this one short post.
Angel9090 (guest)
-2
9 years ago (2015-01-10)
Grif84 your story was very interesting and as a medium I have been fascinated to know if your house was haunted and I got a positive. It was haunted by a former owner who passed away less than ten years ago. I got a positive that he is attached to the house also. I am glad that you moved out of there instead of sharing the house with him which I am sure he would not have been happy with.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-08)
Wow Griff84!
It seems maybe the spirits energy was strong enough throughout the home, to. Actually help you and Gem visualize him. He may have felt you were invading his property, sometimes spirits don't take well with new residents. I too as a child in my childhood home would literally run up the stairs skipping steps because I would feel a spirit chasing me. It is terrifying! Great read by the way. I had chills and flashbacks
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-08)
I would have helped him, but at the time I thought I was going loco. And he seemed the worst kind of person to me, I'm sure in real life he was a thoroughly decent chap😉
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-08)
Worst kind eh? If he was that old he should be resting in peace now as he must be tired with all the stuff he has been going through (even if it was the worst). Every soul need peace I think but if he is still stuck then it must be some kind of karma for what he has done.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-08)
Thanks for your comments 😊

If I am honest, I would probably have put it down to imagination over time, my mind playing tricks or even wishful thinking... But it took me by surprise when Gem said she felt a similar thing, and we had never shared a word about it before. I really only mentioned the house being haunted to scare her one day, although unfortunately in the end, I was the one who ended up being spooked😨

If this old man was a trapped soul, he was not pleased about it at all, from what I gathered, he was the worst kind of person.
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-08)
Thank you for sharing the story. Although it is very sad when a spirit cannot move on due to reasons, it will remind us that we're not the only ones living in the house and we should tolerate 'others' too. Stuck forever and will never be in peace is a scary thought...
Argette (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-08)
I'm happy you are out of there! The fact that both you and your then-girlfriend had the same or similar feelings is very telling.

I have to agree with Lady-Glow - this menacing old man just could not move on.

Thanks for posting!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Griff84: thanks for this interesting and spooky story!
I think you were sharing the house with the spirit of a previous resident that, for some reason, couldn't move on when he passed.
I'm glad he didn't follow you when moving out of that house.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: