You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Oddities In New House

Real Ghost Stories

Oddities In New House

 

This is not something that has dramatically happened to me, it's not something that is scary or threatening and in truth, it may not even be anything at all, but I am interested in everyone's views and thoughts. Now, I would like to think myself as level headed and rational in all walks of life, not just anything you could class as 'paranormal', so I actively encourage suggestions to debunk things.

Anyway, myself, my wife Gem, and my then 6 month old daughter, moved into our current 2 bedroom semi detached house in December 2013. The house is reasonably small, to what you could call a standard 2 up, 2 down layout. Even though it's small, it is the first house we have owned, which to us makes it a proper home, and special. We are not gifted, in tune, or claim to be anything special when it comes to sensing things or having any experiences, and as I have said previously, Gem really is not interested in anything paranormal as I think it basically scares her. This is her decision, which I respect, so I have not discussed things with her in depth.

Since the day we moved in, I have noticed small things about the house. These things are small, but are big enough to be noticed or get my attention. The first was the smell of tobacco smoke in the kitchen. This was not just a brief fleeting smell of perhaps a relic of previous owners, but a strong smell like someone has just sparked up in the same room. And as soon as it is there, it disappears. Neither of us smoke, and I certainly hoped the baby hadn't started. It was enough for me to call to Gem to come to see if she could smell it, she came in, and briefly caught the smell before it dissipated. Straightway I looked to the doors and windows, both closed. I check the laundry bin, no smoke covered clothes. The only thing I think it could be is the neighbor smoking in her house, and perhaps the smell has traveled into our house somehow. Hmmm perhaps.

OK, fast forward a few months, the smoke smell comes and goes, but I think I could have that figured. The door handles on the upstairs rooms are spring loaded, and as I'm sure many do, make a squeaky sound when the handle is pulled down. Not a problem really, apart from in the dead of night, this sound seems to be amplified ten fold, and I found it enough to disturb a sleeping child as I went to check on her before turning in myself. This is something made worse when this squeaky sound would carry on on my daughter's door well after I had gone to bed. It was enough to wake me, and would repeat enough for me to walk around in the dark, with my ears trying to pin point the cause. Once I found it, I had the light on, watching as the handle would not move, put I could hear the squeak of the internal springs every few minute or so. It was almost like someone was putting the smallest amount of pressure on the handle, just until the squeak started, then would let go. So as i'm sat there staring at a door handle, my mind is flicking through possible causes, 'perhaps the floor is not level, and the door is subsided and this is putting pressure on the handle'.'no, that would cause this to happen 24/7 surely'. 'maybe the spring inside has stretched from use, and is slowly attempting to return to its original size'.'yeah that's it'. So, the next day, I remove all the upstairs handles, and cover the innards with WD40, and replace, not a squeak to be heard, problem solved. A short time later, in the same circumstances, I am awoken to the sound of what can only be describes as a quick thud. And once again, I find myself staring at my daughter's bedroom door in the middle of the night, only this time, the handle appears to be pushed down the smallest amount, and then let go, causing the handle to flick back up and cause a sound. Don't get me wrong, it was moving the smallest amount, but still enough to cause a sound. This I find difficult to explain... Finally settling upon the handle must be worn inside and somehow the spring is tight and pulling the handle down. Was I reaching too much? In any event, I needed to swap it with a different, lesser used handle as the sound was irritating me. I did this with one off a door down stairs, and i'm pleased to say it cured the problem, on both handles. I have to say I have been paying close attention to the culprit handle, and I have never seen or heard it move since.

Roughly a few month later, I am putting washing away in our bedroom around late evening, when Gem screams upstairs for me to check G (our daughter) quickly. Which I duly do as fast as I can as she was panicked. I find her peacefully asleep in her bed. I obviously went to see what the problem was when Gem tells me she heard a soothing 'shhhhhh' sound coming from the baby monitor (we have a Motorola camera one) If Gem says she heard it, then she did, I will never question this. She says she heard it gradually get louder, and initially thought it was me until she heard me closing draws in our room. She looked at the picture and saw nothing which is when she yelled for me. I attempted to explain this away as perhaps crossed signal. This was enough to put Gem at ease. But I have this niggling feeling growing.

Now, fast forward to March time of this year, G is now nearly 3, and is walking, talking and generally turning into a beautiful little girl. I am sat downstairs in the living room, Gem is at work, and G is looking for trouble in the kitchen. She comes into the front room and closes the baby gate behind her, she does this to tease the dog. She turned to me and says in the calmest of voices.'where did she go?', I look at her with a quizzed expression, asking 'who darlin'?' to which she replies 'blonde mammy'. First of all, Gem is, and always has been brunette, so as before my mind starts searching, so I figure ask her. So I say, 'who is blonde mammy?' 'what does she look like?'...she gave away nothing, just asked to watch something on TV. I have even asked since, but she never says anything. I think maybe she was playing a game and briefly included me? Or one of her dolls is mammy doll? I have no idea, but it was so unexpected, and so out of character while playing, she normally asks that when someone physical leaves the room.

On 3rd June, we welcomed a second daughter to the family, and after a few complications, Gem and Em came home. Anyone with kids will know the dreaded 'night shift'...myself and Gem decided to house Em downstairs and we would take it in turns (one on, one off) to sleep on the sofa while the other got a night sleep, plus we were next to the kitchen and it just made sense. And it worked. While I was on shift (as it were) there has been at least 4 occasions I have been asleep between the 3 hour feeds when I have been physically pushed, albeit gently, just enough to bring me to conscious, each time just as Em is starting to wriggle for her bottle. This shake is like someone pushing down sharply with a hand at the top of each or my arms. I know I was not fully conscious, and perhaps it could have been a jolt as Em let out a cry, but it felt like a push. I have mentioned it to Gem, but she says she has never experienced it. Around 3 weeks ago, Gem's parents did the night shift on a Saturday night, which meant we could both sleep. In the morning, around 6 am, I woke up naturally. I was lying on my side, with my back to the door facing an already awake Gem. I was awake, but half asleep, I know this, and (Gems account) I looked at her and simply said, 'he's stood behind me'. I remember saying this, and I remember feeling a guy was stood at the door looking at us both in bed. I got no negative or positive vibe, or any feeling really, but I felt the need to tell Gem. As you can imagine, she freaked, and told me not to scare her because I know she does not like it etc. I think perhaps I was still partly dreaming maybe.

OK, nearly up to date, 3 nights ago, after Gem had put G to bed (approx. 7.30pm) she came down stairs and asked me what I had said. Again my quizzical look, she asked what was I saying over the monitor whilst she was reading stories to G, she said they could hear me but not hear properly. I had said nothing, I was just getting on with chores etc. Again, I have tried to explain this away as crossed signals, but even Gem is not sure on this one.

This could be totally not relevant at all, but ever since day one at this house, I have had to shut the door leading from the living room to the stairs before I come to bed, and if I forget, I won't be able to rest until its done. I know you should shut doors anyway as a fire prevention method, but I have never done it before at any house, doors open or closed, it makes no difference to me. I was thinking about this the other night, and perhaps its something I did which has become OCD, but I just get the feeling it needs to be shut or else. There is no other way to explain it.

In summary, I am no trying to elude to a haunting, or anything of the sort, I would just like people's opinions as maybe it is something I have not thought of, or maybe someone experiences similar happenings. Things do not happen every night, but it has happened enough to get my attention.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Griff84

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Griff84, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-10)
Griff - in regards to the journal jotting down the mood is a definite plus. You may wish to even note individual's moods instead of a household mood, if that makes sense. The more detail you can put in the better to locate a common thread - if there is one, I think.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-10)
Red, thanks for reading my other posts, and thanks for the feedback.

My older brother sounds very similar to your husband. We used to watch a show here every Tuesday called Most Haunted (not sure if its shown in the US) and he always used to 'be the sceptic', which is fine. But when things would go bump in the night in the flat (apartment) he lived in, it was defiantly a ghost haunting him and there was no rational experience for any of it πŸ˜†

And I will have a look on You Tube for that show, sounds like a good watch 😊

With regards to the Mammy / Mummy / Mum & Mom debate, I would be very surprised if an 18th Century southern U.S enforced Nanny was haunting my girl in Northern England, and as far as I am aware Grandparents are and never have been referred to as Mammy, although I can't speak for every family through history 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Griff
I just read your other stories. I liked them a lot they were all good reads. Especially the story about your wife when she was a little girl and Just a feeling with the old man. I can understand why this stuff scares her, my husband is the same way unless it pertains to his father. He doesn't believe in that kind of thing although he's married to a psychic/medium for 30 years. He has even walked into cold spots and asked me who was there. I would walk over to the spot and it wasn't cold anymore. I told him it must be your father here to bust my chops again. But that kind of thing doesn't exist. πŸ˜†
If you can find old shows of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir even online and watch them with her she could see that not all ghosts are mean. Even though it's just an old television show it's an art imitates life sort of thing only comedic.
Regards
Red
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Thanks granny! I wanted to say it's not "knot", it's "knob", but didn't want to get into the kerfuffle between them. πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Red - my grandson is under the impression whenever anyone is sitting at the computer, that's his time... On the computer πŸ˜†

As for the information Larkin provided, I wasn't aware that's what it was called so I learned something today. I don't think it's a matter of thinking anyone is stupid πŸ˜• And since Larkin hasn't been active as long as others, she may not be aware of your husband's profession. And I completely understand the sharing of knowledge from his job. I learned a lot about construction from my son's dad.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Miracles
I'm sorry the reason I mentioned my husband was a fireman was because he never heard of or saw knot in tube wiring. It must be illegal in N.Y... The reason I omitted that was a distraction at home. Why do (adult) kids have to talk to you when you are trying to type?
Regards
Red
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Miracles
I read it several times myself and I don't know if she misunderstood what I was talking about but it came across as if I am stupid. That is why I mentioned my husband is the Construction Manager at a very well known hospital and has to know Federal Code.
He is also an exempt volunteer fireman. We moved out of his home town but can be reinstated if we move back to his home town or if another event like 9/11 happens, He wanted to ask to be reinstated then but I begged him not to because I didn't want him in the pile and he respected my wishes. Thank God.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
It's actually "knob and tube", and in some instances it is permissible, however, I agree the older type is very dangerous.

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring

Sorry Griff. 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Rook,
I'm with you. When Griff mentioned G asked where the blonde mammy was my mind went to the old souths term for nanny. I then looked after I posted and saw that Griff is from the U.K. I thought that it was strange that G called the spirit mammy. Maybe that's what the spirit wanted to be called.
Where I come from kids call their mothers either Mother,Mom,Mommy,or MaMa. Grandmothers are called either Granma,Granny,or Mema.
So Griff is it possible that in Nothern England children call their grandmothers mammy? Or did a long time time ago?
Regards
Red
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Red - I read Larkin's comments twice and didn't find anything I felt was objectionable. Of course, if there is history of snippy comments I can understand that you could read that into every comment Larkin makes. Maybe if you read the comment as if it came from someone else (someone who's opinion you appreciate), you'll see it differently. Kind of like stepping away from the computer before you (using a personal experience here LOL) say something you may wish you hadn't.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Larkin,
I don't know what you have against me but you always have to put your two cents in on my comments and not always nicely. My husband is a Construction Manager in a Heart Hospital which is always in the top 3 Heart Hospitals in N.Y. And top 10 Nationally so he HAS to know Fedral Code. We talk about his work and he educates me about things I'm not already knowledgeable. I do not make comments on things I know nothing about. So as you told me in another story and take a chill pill. If you keep making comments against my comments I will have to report you. We are here to help people who write their problems, not to snipe at each other. I know you are new here but please follow the rules of this site.

Griff,
My deepest apologies for writing this on your stories timeline but I had to address Larkin. Again my apologies.
Regards,
Red
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Sounds a bit like an around the world version of 'Who's On First'. πŸ˜‰

Sorry, had to...

Respectfully,

Rook
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Tweed, the variation of the work Mammy never even crossed my mind.

It is a little confusing for G as Gem is from North East England, born and bread, and refers to her own mother as 'Mam'. I on the other hand, was raised in the Midlands in a small town called Rugby (where the game was invented) and I refer to my mother as Mum. When referring to Gem to G, I say Mam as its what Gem wants to be known as, so maybe she has gotten so confused she calls Gem Mamma instead... Anyone still with me? πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Yay Tweed for the Mum/Mam/Mom distinction. I grew up in New Hampshire, northeast US in the 1960's when cultural things were still heavily influenced by Europe and Britain. I grew up calling my mother "Mum". But even others in the northeast calls theirs "Mom".

I find it VERY interesting here, Griff, that you guys do not refer to Gem as Mammy. Her distinctive use of this for this 'other' whatever it is she is referencing may, as you said, come from other things she has seen or heard, but... Your journal should be very interesting as she interacts with "blonde mammy".

Do keep us posted.

Hecate
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Val, OMG! Ah yeah, Mam and/or Mammy is used in Northern England (I think). That is, I've only heard Northerners use the term pertaining to Mum or US Mom.

I just ran a search because something made me wonder about your question of where G picked it up and I just now learned of the race connotations this word has in the US. So just to be clear in the UK, with regard to Northern England, this word has a completely different meaning. Some parts of England have a completely different dialect which reflects in the spelling of common words. I'm not from the north but trust me I have to watch what I type all the time anyway because some of our general slang words have outrageous other meanings in the US. Which is what got me to look up the Northern term for Mum with relation to the US! 😲
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Hi Val, thanks for your comment. Mammy is a common phrase round these here parts, although G refers to Gem and myself as Mamma and Dadda. To be honest I find this a little odd as I have no idea where she gets it from, but I can never say its not either her own word evolution or she has picked it up from the TV or Ipad.

I will keep note of the weather, and I was even thinking of noting the mood in the house at the time of any 'activity', I thought perhaps it could have some sort of link, and though it could start to build a picture, although it might be slight overkill.

With regards to the smoke, my initial thoughts were to check windows and doors for smells from outside, I checked the laundry just in case it was brought in on clothes, and I even checked the cookers extractor fan to see if it could have been from there. Like you said there could be various reasons for the smell, it just seems to come and go so fast.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Griff, I'm curious is 'mammy' a commonly used term in your area? I ask because where I live it's quite uncommon, and if this was the case, I'd wonder where G picked it up.
I think the idea of a journal is excellent. Remember also to note the weather. I mention this because it can sometimes (naturally) trigger certain odors. This seems to be especially true of smoke smells. So even if no one in the house smokes, perhaps a previous tenant did? Then too it could be as simple as someone passing by the window?
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Hi Red, apologies I was replying to the others so didn't see your comment.

I know they type of box and wiring you describe as we encountered it before in a previous rented house. This house has up to date modern wiring, and I know this for sure as we had an episode the other week of all the lights flickering intermittently throughout the house one evening. Obviously I worried about faulty electrics, which lead to the house burning down in my mind, so I called an emergency electrician to come check to be on the safe side. He told us the wiring was fine, and seemed to have been only recently changed as the fuse box was a new type with separate trip switches (no idea what this meant, I just pretended to know to save face). To be honest I had totally forgotten about the flickery lights until now, perhaps that could be something too, although it has not happened since.

With regards to blonde mammy, I really do hope if this turns out to be something, then this is what it is. Its comforting to know someone perhaps caring for our children from a spiritual point of view, but also I would be a little wary as I would worry about something becoming over protective and possessive and over stepping the mark. I have never experienced that type of thing before 😐
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Hi Hecate0, Yeah your'e right, there is no negative of threatening feeling at all. Its more things which have made me think. And I do know about cleansing and smudging etc although I have never done it, and to be honest, I would't know where to start if I needed too. I do find myself paying close attention to what G I playing and saying, and if she is talking to what could be perceived as a 'third person', the only other thing she has done recently is save a cake she had baked for a forth person, when there is three of us, but its hard to tell if she perhaps intended to eat the cake for the forth person also.

Angel87, thanks for your comment, and I feel honoured your first post here is for me, so welcome 😊. I did think it seems to be focused around my children, and in a positive manor too, but I am also aware that this could all be coincidence. I have started keeping a diary / journal as I think it will keep things recorded and organised, just in case it does escalate, but who knows. I have spoken to Gem to see if she has experienced something I have not, but I am trying to be tactful and not blow things up out of proportion.

Larkin - I like your suggestions, and they do make sense with regards to closing the door. I have had the 'run to the stop of the stairs as fast as you can to escape the monster chasing you' feelings many time before, so it would make sense to be along a similar vein. The only thing that really made me comment about it is the fact its only that one door, and only at that one time of day, and the feeling is not that of being chased, but one of 'leave it open and see what happens'. But obviously does not rule but the ideas you have said. The room itself is the main living room, fully furnished and used most of the time. This also means it has a lot of electrical goods in like TV, sky, DVD, & games console, so the EMF is defiantly worth thinking about. Thanks for your comment
Larkin (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Red,

The wiring you mention is known as knot and tube wiring and can be dangerous.

Depending on how old the house is, there is regulations. Depending on how old the house is and when the wiring was installed, there's federal regulation that requires it is replaced.

If the OP indeed has knot and tube wiring, I'd look into it, the seller may have been legally required to replace it.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Griff
I'm surprised you've. Never written about this before. If you have the old spaghetti wiring that means you have an old electric box (right). These boxes can have very high E.M.F. Electric magnetic field no radiation. An E.M.F. Can cause dizziness nausea and hallucinations
But on the other hand G asked where blonde mammy is. As you know children and animals are able to see spirits. Blonde mammy may be someone who watches over her and has since you moved in. This could be why you were hearing the springs in the door and then threatening low thud. To us it would seem like a mechanical problem but in the spirit world they are ''opening or closing'' a door. When Gem heard the shushing noise she was probably hearing blonde mammy comforting the baby who was wriggling around before she fusses. The woman was probably a smoker. I wouldn't worry because this woman will not harm them or you and your wife. She will probably be visible to Em so be surprised if she brings up blonde mammy.
As a safety issue if you do have the spaghetti type wiring hire an electrician to upgrade your wiring and electric box. Some people use the plastic coated but my husband is a constuction manager in a hospital and if a contractor doesn't have enough of the hospital grade wire on the roll they give it to him because they just throw it out so we have above code wiring in our house.
Larkin (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
Griff -

The feeling that you need to close the door is something I call the basement syndrome.

Basically, although I've never had anything ever happen in the basement, I always feel uneasy when I go down to check the laundry. And when I go back up the stairs, I always get a nagging sensation that something is about to chase me up the stairs, which causes me to hurry up the stairs.

There's a lot of reasons that could cause this sensation. Strong EFM radation for instance.

If the room is usually unused, it can create a sense of abandonment, which could cause a sense of forbidding or dread.

If the room is under furnished or the lighting is off, this can also mess with your head.

And finally, some people believe that it's actually a tactic used by some spirits to keep folks out of their terrority.

Just some ideas.
Angel87 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
What I would suggest is that you and Gem have a talk on your experiences, because there has to be some sort of communication about that so you can deal with it as a couple, now if its paranormal it's still at 50/50, but for argument sake, let's say that there is some activity.

It seems that who ever it is is worried of taking care of your children, most of the incidents that you describe are either in your child's room or near your children, either waking you up so you take care of Em or even soothing shhh noise to calm G.

In any case, I don't know if your are a spiritual or religious family, but you can do some prairs to cleance the house in any case that there is a spirit or whatever.

In the more normal side, could be just old house noises and kids running wild with they'er imagination
Im sure that there is nothing to be affraid of.

Hope you guys have a happy life and your children grow up to be awesome people:D cheers.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
Griff, congratulations on your expanding family. Sounds like you have been doing the science-y thing with all of this. I am anxious to hear more about "blonde mammy", and to know if/when Em sees her? Overall, am I getting it right that you don't really feel threatened, right? You know the usuals, ask it to leave if you don't want it there, clean/smudge/house-blessing etc?

I completely understand Gem's response to all of this. It is hard to remember we still have our own power, even with this stuff that we don't completely understand.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
jaderae - Thanks for reading, and its fine you have no suggestions, I really posted it to get things on a page and out my head if that makes sense πŸ˜†, I was not really expecting much feedback in truth. I have approached the subject with Gem, but as I say she simply does not want to talk about it as it frightens her, which is fine.

Larkin - Thanks fr your comment. My point about the smoke is exactly that, although the smell does travel, it simply disappeared just like that which I found slightly odd. I researched the baby monitor camera thing before we brought it, as I was paranoid about someone else 'hacking in' to our signal as you say. Apparently these have a signal scrambler system or some such thing which means someone can not hack the signal as it is never still long enough (I have no idea if this is true).Also, with the door, its not the fact it is closed, its more the feeling I get as I leave the room, like if I leave it open, something will 'get out'...its quite difficult to explain without coming across as odd, I only get this feeling at night.
Larkin (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-07)
Tobacco smoke can certainly travel a distance. It doesn't just magically go away, and it can last for quite some time as well.

Baby monitors are just another form of radio. Working at Walmar, Burger King and McDonalds, I quickly learned not only can they pick up other requencies, but are prone to picking up static and hissong too.

You also need to be careful. If its one of those wifi baby monitors. People have been hacking into them and harassing babies and children.

Also, I can't really say the idea of someone closing a door is very paranormal. My roommate insists on keeping the bathroom window open even though it faces the sidewalk and every attempt to get him to stop has been unsuccessful.
jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-07)
Thank you for your submission, I enjoyed reading it. I don't have insights on what is causing those oddities, I'm sorry I'm not very helpful. I was wondering if you've gone over your suspicions with Gem? Maybe she's noticed things that either support or disprove something supernatural happening in the home?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: