You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Friendly Old Lady

Real Ghost Stories

The Friendly Old Lady

 

I've been reading all your stories for a long time so thank you for sharing your experiences.

Here's one of mine, short but interesting I hope:

I was on holiday from University and visiting my Uncle's farm in Lancashire in the UK. Bare in mind that it is next to a very small rural village where everyone knows everyone and no one can keep a secret lol.

Anyway, I'd gone for a walk on my Uncle's land and bumped into an old dear I'd known for years, we chatted for a while about general topics and then continued on our way.

I slowly made my way back to the farm just enjoying the weather. When I got back to the farmhouse my Uncle was there so I put the kettle on and made us a cup of tea.

We sat down and started to demolish a plate of biscuits while chatting in a general way. I mentioned my walk, described where I'd been and that I'd bumped into 'Agnes' whose hens had apparently stopped laying, whose grandson was a real 'catch' (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) and that her gout had been playing up.

My Uncle who is the archetypal, stoical farmer by this point was surprising me a great deal as his jaw had literally dropped open, I asked him what was wrong. His reply, and this is verbatim, I promise: "Well I'm surprised her gout is playing up as we buried her two weeks ago Wednesday, just gone".

We talked and talked about this but after a while we believed each other and my Uncle even showed me her obituary from the local paper.

There was nothing scary about the encounter, nothing portentous, nor did the hairs on the back of my neck rise.

I hope you all find this interesting and thank you for taking the time to read it.

Other hauntings by The_Morrighan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The_Morrighan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-10-31)
Also, thank you to everyone who commented on my post. I'm so very sorry it's taken me two years to reply!

To answer a wee handful of the questions:

The incident took place late morning in the bright sunshine.

I knew the lady in question well and had done since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Biblio: my accent is more RP too if I'm honest but when I'm relaxed (or have had a glass of wine lol) the 'lanky' comes out a bit. 😜

Jubeele: I never did connect with her grandson, drat it! 🙄

Ghostpost: you're entitled to your opinion but having read your accounts I'd just like to say that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. How's the weather under your bridge BTW? 😁
The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
3 years ago (2020-10-31)
Jubeele, thank you for such kind feedback! I've had a long break from this site due to work, family, etc but you've given me the courage to perhaps share a few more of my experiences x
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-31)
Morrighan, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Being a small rural village where everyone knew everything about everyone else, it was unlikely to have been a mistaken identity. Your Uncle would have immediately known if there was another woman in the village called Agnes, or if the details did not match what he knew of her.

There have been a number of accounts on YGS where members have experienced seemingly innocuous events, only to later realise that it was something out of the ordinary. Agnes was a friendly visitation and probably enjoyed chatting with someone who could see her.
P.S. Did you ever get in touch with Agnes' grandson (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)? 😉
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-05-01)
Hello there! This is a nice read. I like it when members share their experiences of non scary paranormal encounters. It assures you that not all ghost are scary, some are peaceful.

I hope to read more stories from you and thanks for sharing!

Z ❤ ❤ ❤
JRGurganus1998 (2 stories) (11 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-04-24)
It was nice that you were able to contact her. Seems like the old lady is just as sweet in death as she was in life.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-04-23)
Ghostpost...

There is an old saying, "If you have nothing nice to say--then do not say nothing!"

Morrigan, sorry for that unkind post, unfortunate as your event left some of us saying "could that have happened to me and I didn't know it?!"

I enjoy the casual way you write, well done indeed. Hope to hear more from you.

Jan
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-04-23)
Hi, Morrighan

I believe you 100% because something similar happened to me. I didn't talk to the person but I saw him in front of me, clear as day. I did not know he had passed when I saw him, it was only after I told my mom of my encounter that she told me had been killed days before I saw him.

I've heard other stories like this as well. I have always wondered if they themselves know they have passed. It seems like these encounters and/or interactions occur soon after their deaths. They carry on and have normal conversations, no message is relayed, just random talk about nothing in particular. A lot of times it's not even a relative that they appear to, I find that odd. After a few days of their passing, you never hear of any sightings of them again. I wonder if it's because they finally realize they are dead or that "residual energy" they need to show themselves is gone.

Thanks for sharing your interesting encounter with Agnes.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-04-23)
What a wonderful tale! Thanks for sharing Morrighan.

I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind. What time of day did this encounter occur? Was it day or night?

Also - to your knowledge has anyone else interacted with Agnes?

Again thanks for sharing.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+7
5 years ago (2019-04-21)
Hey Morrighan

I wonder if you could leave an offering for her, in the place or close by to her, of a gout remedy

I just looked up natural gout relievers, and tumeric is cheap, easy to find and common.
Celery seed is another.

Spirits sometimes manifest to the living before they cross over, and a small act of care or nurturance helps them cross cleanly

This practice is commonplace in much of the Eastern world and a lot of ancient cultures, would make offerings to the beloved dead, of things that brought them comfort in life

I suggest leaving her an offering of something to relieve her gout and maybe an egg, to eat, as she spoke of eggs.

A Vietnamese woman spoke to me years ago of their Spirit Food belief... Her brother, fallen in the war, came to her in her dreams and told her he was cold and hungry

She buried for him warm clothes, and cooked food, in the earth, outdoors, for him (this is significant - the food must be cooked in the earth...) and left the food as an offering above the buried clothing.

He came to her once more in her dreams, smiling, and thanked her.

Not my story - but - a reliable, credible source.

Great story and I believe you.

Bright Blessings
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-20)
Greetings, Morrighan, and welcome to YGS.

Though born in Leicester, I've got a more southern accent (Received Pronunciation, with a touch of Surrey & Oxford). However, I've got a fondness for the Lanky accent which sounds as smooth as butter in the older generations. (I do hope that "Lanky" has not become a negative term since I left; it was usually used affectionately in the Midlands.)

This is the type of ghost encounter that I find most reassuring; nothing out of the ordinary, just someone familiar passing the time of day in polite conversation. She was probably just as happy to see you as you were to chat with her. I suspect that events like this can only happen when the living participant is oblivious to the other person's death; not because it would be creepy, but because anyone who knew she had passed on would remark on the *similarity* of the person to the deceased, but dismiss it as a coincidence.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Best,
Biblio.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-20)
Ghostpost - welcome to YGS.
Actually, there are many accounts in which people unknowingly interact with the spirit of a departed acquaintance/family member only to latter learn that the said person has passed away some time before.

I wouldn't discard the possibility of the OP mistaken Agnes for someone else, except for the fact that she seems to have known her well enough in life.

This comment from Ghostpost is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Filmbuff1234 (13 stories) (33 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
That is an interesting encounter - I wish all my experiences were that peaceful. Did Agnes seem like it was the last time she was going to see you or was she saying goodbye. A lot of spirits wish to see someone for one last time before they pass on. RIP Agnes!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-18)
Hello Morrighan - this is a interesting encounter.

I'm sure "Agnes" was happy to see you. I think it is fascinating when people interact with someone that has already passed away without realizing that they are having a paranormal encounter. It's almost like a peaceful experience.

I only hope she gets rid of that gout!

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: