You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Basement Haunting?

Real Ghost Stories

Basement Haunting?

 

I have recently developed an odd suspicion of the basement in my house. This might sound a little bit strange, but I honestly don't know how else to word it. I have had a weird experience down there before involving a cold spot on the floor and the scent of campfire smoke around that area, but that was described in more detail in one of my previous experiences, so I won't go into details now.

However, since that experience, I'll admit that I've been a bit more on edge than usual, so these could be the result of an overactive imagination, although not everything has happened to me.

The first and least phenomenal of the things that I'm about to list is the almost constant feeling of being watched. Not maliciously, just vaguely observed as though the spectator has nothing better to do.

The second thing is the amount of strange smells I notice down there. Now let me say that my mom does have a little room in the basement where she makes candles, so some of these could be a result of that, but I don't know how good candles are at creating the smell of onions. And frankly, most of the smells aren't terribly candle-like anyway. (I can't identify most of them and it seems to be different every time I notice it). Although come to think of it, my brother had a bad habit of leaving food down there for a while, but that still doesn't cover non-food smells. I'll admit my sense of smell isn't the best though, so this point could be totally moot.

The third thing is seeing things that aren't evidently there. For example, earlier this night, I was watching TV down there by myself, and I thought I heard my sister start down the stairs. Figuring she was trying to be sneaky, I observed as best I could out of the corner of my eye what appeared to be her wrapped in a blanket (not unusual behavior) walking quietly down the stairs. I can't explain why I suddenly decided to whip my head around, but I did, and it wasn't her at all but what looked like a shadowy blob about her height. However, I cannot recount this with any certainty as it departed almost instantly.

The final thing is something my friend told me. She'd come over for a sleepover one night and we were hanging out in my basement when we decided we needed to shower because we felt gross (it had been a hot day). As a result, she used my basement shower, and she later told me that when she'd gotten out, she'd felt something cold against her back. I asked if there was a pressure and she said no, also confessing that it could easily have just been the fact that she had just turned off the shower. I don't really know what to think, so I decided to include this as well, even if it turns out to be nothing.

And now I ask for your opinion: Is there something or someone in my basement? I have never done any Ouija boarding, and the best thing I can think of was my brief fascination with Wicca nearly three years ago and attempting a spell down there with some friends. I honestly don't even remember what the spell was supposed to do.

There is just one more thing I was wondering about before I conclude this experience: Is it worth it to purchase an EMF reader? I'd really like to see what the readings would show as. Do EMF detectors work?

Any answers or opinions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Other hauntings by KaalaLilee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KaalaLilee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Hmmmm definitely sounds creepy. Like others have said, there is a chance you invited in something with the "spell" that hasn't left. I agree to make sure whatever is down there won't hurt you. But at the very least, it doesn't seem malevolent.
KaalaLilee (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Nectarvore- Thank you very much for all the helpful suggestions! I know for a fact that we didn't cast a circle before attempting our spell (lack of knowledge can be nasty), so I will definitely need to look into potential protections. I'm fairly certain that whatever is down there- whether it's a spirit or psychic energy residue- is harmless, but taking a few precautions should it be negative is probably a good idea.
Again, thank you! 😁
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
It's possible if you attempted a spell, but didn't cast circle correctly (always clockwise) and then close circle (anticlockwise) that you may have attracted the attention of a lesser entity that hasn't left... More likely that it is just residual psychic energy though. It doesn't sound particularly malevolent but dealing with any astral energy or entity requires respect, confidence in your ability and intuition. Bottom line? If you have a gut feeling it's threatening... Be more and not less careful. If you don't trust in your ability to banish competently, get someone to help. A good rule of thumb when psychic help shopping is that anyone with integrity will not ask for money. Distance clearing is also effective (the person doesn't have to be in the house if they are etherically strong enough) ... Sooo... That's a last precinct though, really. I would just cast a circle of light around yourself and white sage smudge the entire house, not just the basement. Run a circle of salt around the houses foundation in a clockwise direction. Pray if you believe... Belief is very powerful. Light a (new, unused) candle in the basement and let it burn down until it's finished... Don't blow it out. Obviously make sure it's in a heatproof dish, somewhere safe:) Black is good for banishing, so is frankincense essential oil or incense. Good luck.
KaalaLilee (3 stories) (9 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
Miracles51031- I actually, didn't know the answer to that first question, so I checked it out and asked my brother. The fuse box is located in the garage, along with the few exposed wires we have.
I'm definitely going to try to purchase an EMF detector because I am very curious 😁
Yes, I believe you are probably right about the smells. Onions is the one I remember the best (mostly because I could actually identify it), but the others have remained mystery smells to me, as I literally had no idea what I was smelling, although it's always very familiar. This leads me to believe that it was probably something from earlier in the day that just stuck around faintly.
Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!

Kingofstrings92- Thank you very much! I believe it may have been a spell to communicate with spirits actually, and we heard voices throughout the rest of the night. I cannot believe that I literally only just remembered that (/.-) It was quite a while ago though. To be honest, we really had no idea what we were doing, but I don't believe that whatever is down there has negative intentions, and like you said, unless the situation escalates, I will not make any attempts to get rid of it. I'm actually far more interested in getting solid proof and possibly communicating with it. Thank you for sharing that bit about the sage though! I'll remember that if it proves needed 😁
kingofstrings92 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-16)
My friend is a Wiccan, so I have gotten to learn a decent amount about witchcraft. Not claiming to be an expert by any means (so if someone with a better background on Wicca wants to correct me, be my guest haha), but I can at least give you my understanding (with my Native American heritage mixed in): the potential is there for a haunting, especially with witchcraft. It's basically a Ouija board with a shut-off switch.

Problem is, when you invite spirits into your presence with it, sometimes they don't leave right away, and the portal winds up trapping them when it closes. Wicca is a fine line, though, because while you can control who/what comes through most of the time, sometimes you can't. Reopening the portal, therefore, may not be the best option.

It doesn't sound like anything serious or malevolent, so you're probably good with just leaving it be (if indeed there is a spirit). If it escalates at all, or you still feel a little freaked, do a small sage burning in your basement. If there is anything malevolent, sage will push it out. If there's nothing bad in your presence... Well, sometimes it's fun to have a ghostly friend. 😊

Hope this answers some things. Cheers!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-16)
KaalaLilee - are there any exposed wires in your basement or a breaker/fuse box? These could create high EMF which, in turn, may cause you to feel like you are being watched. They also may cause the sensation of being touched.

Keep in mind, not everyone has the same reaction to high EMF and not everyone notices it. You can get an EMF detector and check it out, but I'd start with finding out where your breaker/fuse box is first.

As for the onion smell, let me just say that smell travels LOL. Lord does it ever 😆 I cut one last night and my entire house reeked of onions and that was with three Scentsy burners on 😉 Anyway, onions may just be a natural smell that came from inside your home or even outside if the conditions are right and someone's garbage is close enough. Or, just a thought, wild onions are very strong if you have any of those growing nearby.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: