You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Nightmare On Oakwood St: Advice Needed

Real Ghost Stories

Nightmare On Oakwood St: Advice Needed

 

I share an apartment with 3 other girls at Eastern Michigan University. We live on the top floor.

I moved in about a week before the rest of my roommates and immediately I could hear noises from above. At first I thought that someone was living above me in some sort of attic because of how loud and frequent the sounds were. It was like footsteps and just general banging. But as I got more familiar with the building I realized that there is no way to get up there. I know some people may say that it must just be an animal, but the university inspects the buildings each year so I think it's really unlikely there would be an animal living up there.

As the school year has gone on, my roommates and I have begun noticing more and more things we cannot explain. When I am home alone, I often hear noises coming from my room when I'm in the kitchen, and vice versa. My roommate came home from a weekend away to find the pillows on her bed in a different position than she had left them. I know that nobody had been in her room because I had been home all weekend.

We also have heard on several occasions the doors open in the hallway we share with the other people on our floor, but there will be no footsteps or sound of anyone going anywhere. It's usually very loud when someone is walking through that hallway, so we have found this to be really strange.

We keep seeing shadows we can't explain out of the corner of our eyes, as well as sudden movements.

I think the most disturbing thing yet has been this: It was in the morning before it was light out. We have big windows in our stairwell facing out so that when you walk down them you can see your reflection. I was walking down the stairs and heard someone coming up the stairwell, so I looked in the window and saw a tall skinny man with blonde hair walking up the stairs around the corner but when I rounded the corner, there was nobody there. I had seen his reflection about 2 seconds before I rounded the corner so there's no way he could have gone anywhere. None of the doors in the stairwell had opened (you can hear them when they do because they are really heavy and they creak). I even went all the way downstairs to see if he had ran out of the building but there was nobody else around.

At this point, we are all pretty freaked out and we aren't really sure what to do. Whatever has been happening does not seem to have a negative energy associated with it but still it's been creeping us out. So if anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ShellBell11, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mispiritquest (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-29)
Hi Shelby,
If you would like, my partner and could come out and investigate your apartment for you. I can be contacted at steve [at] mispiritquest.com
ShellBell11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
The word was written in steam on the mirror to clarify sorry!
ShellBell11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Hey everyone! Just an update for you all. My roommates and I have continued to hear unexplained noises specifically coming from my room.
We have also heard that someone (a male student) may have died across the street in one of the dorms. My roommate was showering and got out and say the word "Hill" written in the steam. Interestingly, this is the name of the dorm where someone died, and it's also the last name of another student who passed away here. Any thoughts on this?
SkyBeLowUs (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
Apologies, I don't know why MSU stuck in my head once I began writing. My brother is a EMU alumni as well.
SkyBeLowUs (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
Hey Shell, well as I'm certain you know MSU has lost quite a few students to various unfortunate tragedies. I live close to, and went to school at UofM, but used to venture to Lansing to visit friends quite a bit. Might I suggest setting up a couple cameras to record while your away and see what you might come up with? Be sure to update us. And if you would like to speak privately, I can tell you some specifics of things that have happened there (I'm a little older than you) that would certainly be reason to have left some intelligent energy behind.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
ShellBell, have you only sighted Stairwell guy the one time? Did you notice any details; like age, dress?
I do have a 'mundane' explanation, based on something that happened to me, and the fact you said the windows were 'looking out'. I assume you meant looking out into the stairwell (which also has windows, yes?). At some point some of these windows must be looking out on the outside? Depending on their placement, these windows could have been 'projecting' the reflection of someone walking outside, or even past a window in another building. The foot steps you heard could have been your own steps echoing and being bounced 'upwards' to you, sounding as if someone was coming up.
Just a thought.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
ShellBell - I was going to comment before seeing yours, so I'll just add my thoughts altogether.

The boy doesn't necessarily belong to the University. He could have lived nearby or died in the vicinity. He doesn't necessarily even have to be from this era. There are many different scenarios that could explain him.

I am intrigued by haunted colleges. I guess because there is so much emotion in them, it would be hard for one not to have something going on. Sadness, loneliness, anger, disappointment, fear are just some of the emotions that can stick around, creating either a residual haunting or an intelligent one. Plus, there is always the possibility of living residual haunts. Before I go I just want to say I believe there is a difference between a haunting and activity. I believe a haunting to be truly that. Something not so good, quite possibly very bad, going on. Activity is just ghosts trying to get our attention, letting us know they're there.

Thanks for sharing this with us and I hope I made a little bit of sense 😊
ShellBell11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
Thanks so much for your comments and input! I think we will look into cleansing it but we just don't really want to stir things up even more.
I will mention the fact that there have been several murders on campus and even old graves found under the buildings, however none of these incidences match up with the boy in the stairs. Does anyone have an explanation for that? Thanks again!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
ShellBell11- Maybe elnora has something with the occurrence on the stairwell. That could be residual. I would suggest keeping a journal of the occasions in the apartment. Ask your roommates as well. Dates, times, and detailed info. One might find a pattern that would happen after a period of time. Some might be residual in the apartment. Keeping a journal well help figure that out.
As elnora stated, a cleansing is all that you may have to do.
Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
If it's becoming a nuisance, negative feelings or not, have you considered doing a cleansing on your apartment? It's possible that it may not even know that you are there, just a residual energy pattern left behind. He does seem fairly harmless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: