You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Annals Of A Haunted Farmhouse

Real Ghost Stories

Annals Of A Haunted Farmhouse

 

My memory has been jogged by a story I have just read on YGS. I will recount to you a tale that my father told me many years ago.

The period was circa 1930, the place was Kimberley, South Africa.

Doug (my dad) had an Afrikaans friend and neighbour, Friederike (Frikkie for short). Frikkie had heard about a haunted house situated on a farm some miles outside of Kimberley and was eager to see it for himself. He eventually convinced Doug to accompany him on his excursion.

Early one Saturday morning, on borrowed bikes, they cycled out to the farm. They found the location easily enough and discovered the farmhouse almost surrounded by a copse of tall trees, which had surely been planted as a windbreak. The house was starting to fall into a state of disrepair from long disuse. The surrounding area seemed devoid of life and even the wind seemed to die down to a whisper as they approached. They cautiously wheeled their bikes into the overgrown front yard, leaning them against the wall of the house.

The curious pair circled the house trying to peer into windows, but to their consternation, found that there were drapes hanging in the way. As they approached the back of the house, they noticed that the small door to the coke-house hung open and the windmill supplying the water for cooling was broken. Frikkie, being the bolder of the two, tried the back door. To his amazement, it opened at his touch. They stepped into the dusty kitchen, finding it still fully furnished, as was the rest of the house.

The story behind this deserted house goes as follows. A brother and sister had inherited the house/farm when their parents had died. Neither had married, so they continued living in the house together. In time, the young woman discovered that she was pregnant - by her brother. Overcome by guilt and remorse, they made a pact to end their lives. The brother shot his sister, and then turned the gun on himself. Their spirits were said to roam the house, searching for peace.

Doug was hesitant to explore the house as he said the atmosphere was heavy and made his hair stand on end. Frikkie obviously had no such qualms and went around picking up this, and opening that. Doug stood nervously by as Frikkie pulled open a sideboard drawer, discovering a beautifully carved wooden box. Inside the box nestled a pair of really old dueling pistols. Fascinated, Frikkie picked one up, carefully examining it.

For some inexplicable reason, the temperature in the room dropped by several degrees and both the boys felt a chill run down their spines.

Suddenly Frikkie's head jerked up and the blood drained from his face. He dropped the pistol back into its box with a look of horror on his face. He slammed the drawer shut with lightening speed. The next thing Doug knew, Frikkie was making for the back door, post haste. Confused, Doug hurried to follow his friend.

It was only on the hasty pedal back home that Frikkie divulged what had happened. Frikkie swore by all that was holy, that when he handled the pistol an apparition of a man had appeared to him, telling him to leave "their" stuff alone and get out of "their" house. Doug had seen no such thing, but he wasn't about to question Frikkie. The look on Frikkie's face was enough to convince him that they had overstayed their welcome.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-12)
Hi jess001, thank you for reading, and your comment. I too love reading ghost stories, though not necessarily for the same reason as you. I am fascinated by the variety of experiences other folks have had.

I have learned so much in the time I have been on YGS. I have learned of the existence of entities beyond my imagination. I love too, that there are so many points of view; they have helped me to broaden my horizons.

Jess001, I hope you enjoy your time here on YGS as much as I have. ❤
jess001 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-11)
Love this story! I love reading ghost stories and seeing what other people havew witnessed as I like to see if they have witnessed the same paranormall activity as me:)
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
JFS2, You know, I never thought of it that way before. It was actually three family members whose lives were lost. I guess you are correct, it would enhance the energy. Thank you for pointing that out to me. 😐

Thank you for reading and commenting. 😁
JFS2 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
Wow

This one is very creepy.

I don't think I would ever go inside a haunted house.

The energy from a family member killing another must be huge specially this case of the woman carrying a child.

In Brazil there's a very famous story about a man who killed his mother and sister a long time ago, and on the same place there's a building also famous because of a fire in the 70's that killed 16 people and hurt hundreds. To this day the building is haunted. Your story made me remember.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
Aah! Vonboeckmann, how lovely to hear from you again! 😁

You spotted a message I didn't intentionally write, but excellent observation on your part. Being in your line of work, it would be natural for you to pick up on something like that. Well done, and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Thank you for the compliment, and good wishes.

May your Christmas be filled with peace and joy. ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
Babygoatpuller, jackpots are few and far between, unfortunately. Lol, you must be like me; a bit of Scots blood in you. Never gamble until all your money is gone. 😉 I am thrilled for you that your luck was in, a bit more cash is mighty useful, especially at this time of year.
Vonboeckmann (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
Thanks for a good read once again. I still like the way you write. Your talent places the reader right "there".and what a way to get the message through that guns are not toys for young lads on the razzel.
If only we could scare the sugar out of a few more little darlings that way.
CHRISTMAS BLESSINGS FERGIE.J.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
Didn't hit a jackpot Fergie but I walked out with more than I went in with! 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
Hi sheetal, thank you for reading my tale and your response. I had completely forgotten about this tale my dad told me years ago, until I read a story of incest, here on YGS. I remember being horrified by my dad's tale.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
Hi, Fergie... Awesome story... This story has pain, loneliness and yes too much horror 😨 Freaking...

Thanks for sharing... ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-06)
Gosh! Winipu4 I am blushing again. Twice in one day? This is getting a bit much, lol.

Thank you for reading, and your obvious enjoyment. 😊 You do an old lady's heart good. 😉
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-06)
Hi, Fergie:

I love your story and as always, especially enjoy your obvious gift for story-telling. I felt like I was there with them! Truly a delightful, good old-fashioned, ghost story.

Kind Regards,
Lynev
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-06)
Aw shucks babygoatpuller! You make me blush with your lavish compliments 😳 😁. I am so glad that you enjoy my narratives.

I wonder why so many tales set among oil lamps, carriages etc seem so much more 'authentic' than modern ones?

Lol, have you hit the jackpot at the casino yet?
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
Wow! Accounts from you and old_dude today! I'm going to have to hit the casino. Must be my lucky day. 😊

I'm with Arwen on this Fergie. These yesteryear stories are some of the best and once again, as with all your accounts, you have not disappionted.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
Val, my dad said that he was grateful that he didn't see or hear what his friend did, the chills and oppressive feelings were enough for him. Frikkie was obviously more sensitive.

Thanks for reading, and your comment.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
Fergie, well it isn't unheard of for one person to see and hear something another can not. Especially when it comes to the paranormal.
What a creepy experience for your dad!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
Thank you Arwen, my father wasn't one to make up stories, so I do believe this to be true. This was not a 'campfire story' which was often retold, it was told to me in confidence.

I too enjoy the tales of yesteryear. I agree, they seem to be just that more believable, somehow.

Thank you for reading (even if it gave you the chills), and your comment.
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-04)
Hello your story gave me chills. I really enjoyed this story I also believe it to be true. I love stories from days of long ago. They seem to have a special place in my heart. I also believe in them more than some of the more current stories. There is something about a connection with the past that makes it simpler to believe.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: