You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Old Farmhouse

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Farmhouse

 

This story takes place in a very old farm house where my best friend, Sassy, grew up. The house is still in her family but no one lives there full time. This house is on an old dirt road with an old red barn and sometimes a few of us will go out there for a bonfire or cookout. I had my son's graduation party there.

The master bedroom is on the main floor and there are 2 more bedrooms upstairs. Tons of character! The basement, on the other hand, is pretty creepy. The furnace, washer and dryer are down there, along with an old heavy wooden door that's under the stairs. I've NEVER opened that door and don't plan to. My friend told me it's a room with a dirt floor and it's under the kitchen. Very creepy vibe!

I was down there one evening finishing up laundry. I was the only person in the house and a feeling came over me to get out of that basement. I've never felt that way before or since, but got the heck out of there.

One Sunday in the fall, Sassy and I were out at the farmhouse. She was cleaning inside and I worked outside. We were both inside when closing up the house and walked out together.

The following Wednesday Sassy went back out to the house to check on some mail she thought she left. When she walked in she heard a strange noise coming from the master bedroom. At first, she thought it sounded like an air conditioning unit that was used in the summer time but it was sitting on the floor unplugged. Turns out, the sound was coming from a drawer in the vanity table. When she opened the drawer there was a blow dryer going off. It was very hot and could've burned down that house! Seriously, that was not on when we left the house 3 days before! This blow dryer was an older version. It didn't have a toggle switch but a sliding switch you could move up or down. My first thought was maybe a mouse got in that drawer and bumped it but that switch took more effort than a mouse could muster.

Sassy's husband will not spend the night in that house. He had a dream there was a dark figure standing at the top of the stairs and it's stayed with him for years. Other family members have heard strange sounds and Sassy's brother won't stay out there unless he has his gun with him. (Like he could shoot a ghost, LOL)

Just a side note, Sassy's mom passed away in that house about 13 years ago. Her ashes are in a nice box up in the closet in the master bedroom. I don't think this is her at all but she never really liked Sassy's husband.

Other hauntings by Suzy2

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Suzy2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-06)
I think the older a house is the more likely that someone has passed away, even before Sassy's mom. You say something came over you to leave, I know that feeling and never ignore my gut feelings as I've gotten older. It's also good you both went back to the house since that blow dryer was on, 😳 how strange! I'll bet it wasn't a mouse, they don't care about how they look. 😁 All joking aside, you just may have saved the house from burning down. Great story, thank you for sharing.
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-29)
James Bond,

I agree it's past time to take a trip to Arizona with Mom's ashes, but alas, not up to me.

The basement is a little less creepy now that the old oil furnace was replaced with a propane one. Everything is shiny and new!

Thank you for your comments
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-29)
Hello LuciaJacinta,
I'm not sure if the blow dryer is still there. Great idea though. If this happened in my house it would've been gone immediately!

Thank you for your comments.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-28)
I hope you removed the hair dryer in case it accidentally goes on again and causes a fire.
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
Suzy2,

It may be time for Sassy to take a drive to Arizona with the elder Ms. Sassy's ashes. Even if that doesn't stop the creepy feeling in the basement, 13 years is a long time.

James Bond
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-24)
Hi jabond99,
The blow dryer is also called a hair dryer and the power source is a 110 outlet.

Not completely sure why the ashes are still in the house. I believe her mom wanted her ashes scattered in Arizona but no one's been out there to take care of it.

I received my Aunt's ashes after she passed and I did NOT hold on to them very long. I took them somewhere peaceful where I know she would want to be.

Thank you for your comment.
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-24)
Hi Lealeigh,
The blow dryer/hair dryer is an older one but it's electric and was plugged in to the wall.

I would probably look in the room under the stairs as long as it was during the day and I wasn't alone. Lol

Sassy is also my friends nick name. She's VERY Sassy, in a good way.

Thanks for your comments Maria!
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-24)
Hello lady-glow,

No, the house wasn't built by Sassy's family and I don't believe any other disturbances occurred while her mom was alive. I believe her mom was a tough woman. She raised 4 kids pretty much on her own so life wasn't easy. I never met her but wish I had.
My opinion, for what it's worth, her mom's ashes being there are not an issue. I don't think it's her in that house either.
I did a cleansing of the house after the blow dryer incident and so far, so good.
Thanks for your comments.
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-24)
Hello Suzy2,

I would like to ask for a bit of clarification on the "blow dryer". Is that a hair dryer? If so, what is the power source for the hair dryer? Was it plugged into a socket even though it was inside the drawer? Was it battery operated?

Separately, is there a reason that the mother's ashes are left inside the uninhabited house? I find that rather strange and am just curious why the family would choose to deal with her earthly remains like that. I guess I have heard of people holding on to ashes for a long time.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-10-23)
I meant to say "Hi"
Sorry. My fingernails are too long to type. 😜 and I can't find my stylus.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-23)
Ho Suzy2,

Was the hair dryer one of those old ones? I was reading the directions on a bottle of butane once and it said it could be used to refill a number of appliances. I've never seen one.

Knowing myself, I probably would have had to look in that room. Afraid or not. Just to put my mind at rest.

My ex husband's eleven year old niece is called "Sassy". It's her nick name. She lives up to it.

Best Wishes, Maria ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-23)
Suzy2 - that basement sounds quite scary!

Was the house built by Sassy's family? If so, do you know if any disturbances were reported before Sassy's mother's passing? Was the lady's character friendly or bitter?

In my opinion, a mother's spirit wouldn't scare the daylights out of any of her children... Not so sure about an in-law, tho.

I don't know if having someone's ashes at home would prevent the said person from moving on, I think only the people with unfinished businesses are the only ones that have trouble going to the other plane.

Perhaps the family could try blessing or cleansing the house.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: