You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Heavy Steps In An Old Hut

Real Ghost Stories

Heavy Steps In An Old Hut

 

First of all, I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes because English is not my mother tongue and I'm still trying to improve it.

Anyway...on to my experience. I live in Stuttgart (Germany southwest) and this is were it takes place. My city is sourrounded by many vineyards, so my friends and I used to go in my grandpa's old vineyard garden in summer. In the last few weeks, I have only been there with my boyfriend, just sitting between the vineyards and enjoying the view of our city beneath us. Nothing scary and actually quite peaceful.

In that vineyard garden of my grandpa is also an old "barn" or let's call it little wooden hut where he kept stuff such as things for making wine or for garden work but also barbecue equipment. When we wanted to go home, we had to pass this little hut. I suddenly heard what sounded like heavy steps in there. My boyfriend opened the door very harsh and quickly but there was no one there! (it's just one little room, so there is nowhere to hide). Well, we just laughed it off as our imagination.

However, when we returned a few days later, we could hear it again and there was no one in there. As soon as my boyfriend opened the door, the sound was gone.

I decided to go there with my brother and our border collie. He is a very friendly dog and normally all he thinks of is playing and cuddling all day. But as soon as we passed the hut and stood in front of it, he began to look afraid and started growling like he never did before. We heard those creepy, heavy steps again (like an old man walking). As soon as we opened the door, it was gone again. I know, that old wooden barns/huts can make scary cracking noises but what we heard were STEPS. Just like human steps. Nothing sounding like an animal.

After a few days, we decided to tell my mother since this is our vineyard garden. My mother went with us and heard it too. She looked inside, but it was gone again. All she said was "That's weird" but I could see that she felt uneasy too.

Today, I told my grandma about the creepy noises/steps in our hut. She said that my grandpa (unfortunately, he died last September) used to love this vineyard and the little hut. She is convinced that it might be him "returning".

I'm not claiming that this is something paranormal but I'm officially freaked out now. Does anyone know what it could be? Did you experience something similar?

Thanks for reading,

Viktoria M.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Viktoria123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
Hallo and willkommen. Maybe next time you visit your grandfather's gravesite take some flowers and say a prayer for him?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
Hi Viktoria, about 18 months ago I had something similar to your heavy footsteps happen to me. I was alone at home when I heard heavy footsteps coming from outside my back door. I went cold with fright, as I thought it was an intruder. I dashed to the back door, but nobody was in sight and couldn't has vanished that fast. The footsteps also stopped as I approached the door. For quite a few months I thought this was a paranormal event. I was mistaken. It was only my dog scratching at the earth in an attempt to find a cool spot to lay down.

Now, I am not saying that what you experienced was not paranormal, only that what I experienced was not paranormal.

I would like to think it was your grandfather, but who knows? 😕

Thank you for sharing, Viktoria.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
Wow, first of all Germany sounds amazing, (I've always wanted to go there, I can speak some german, still learning though). I'm not sure what the heavy step sound you heard sounded like, but it may have been the barn shifting (especially if it's an old one). But it's quite weird that it always happens when your near, and that the dog did what it did when near the barn, from what others have told me and from what I've read hear on this website; animals are more sensitive to the paranormal. And you know it could have been you grandpa, but I don't imagine an old man (no offense to him) having heavy steps, my grandpa doesn't even step he scruffy his feet, but it still may have been him, I mean it all fits together right? Thanks for sharing your experience with us 😁 if you find out anything else let us know 😁 😉
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
Interesting. I would definitely try to go again and see if you see or hear anything. Maybe even bring a video camera just to keep track of everything?
Viktoria123 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
Thanks for all the comments:)

Yes we tried to look in the corners etc if there is an animal or anything but couldn't find one.
The floor is made out of wood but very old and dirty/dusty. It COULD make noises itself, but more like cracking.

I wanted to go there again, on my own this time. It's snowing and at the moment though and there's a lot of fog, so I'm too scared to be honest.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
hi, Viktoria I am agree with other posters here... It could not be paranormal. Thanks for sharing...
TinAA (1 stories) (84 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
Hi Viktoria, its an interesting experience... But can't say if its something paranormal. Here I agree with ifihadyoux, a stay of any animal could have caused these unusual sounds. Better you check it to clarify the doubt.

Thanks to share
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-01-19)
Hi Viktoria,
Very interesting. What kind of flooring does this hut have? Here's what I'm thinking, if it's anything but dirt, you could dust it with talc, flour, or even sand. IF it's some odd critter getting in, it will leave prints in the powder.
Your dog's reaction intrigues me. What kind of relationship did he have with your grandfather? (Sorry for your loss.) Did/does he have any reason to be afraid of your grandpa?
Is it possible the dog was reacting to something outside but near the hut? Like a snake, or another critter that you may not have noticed (rat comes to mind)?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-01-19)
There are few things I have to say:
1- Your English is very good.
2- I'm sorry for your loss.
3- Welcome to YGS.

What kind of flooring is in the barn? Have you checked for holes or underground tunnels where an animal could live and gain access to a quick escape route when someone opens the hut's door? -That would explain your dog growling if he could smell or sense the presence of another animal.

But if you think it is your grandfather there is no reason to be afraid of him, he wouldn't hurt you, -would he?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-19)
It's very interesting that you can all hear it, so in my opinion I can go for the idea of your grandfather. But then again, why would the dog be scared? Hmmm... Has anything else ever happened there?
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-19)
I mean I know you say it isn't an animal but did you check? Especially a building that is similar to a barn, at least that is how I am picturing it, could attract tons of animals even if it's hot or cold.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: