You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: "may I Step Out?"

Real Ghost Stories

"may I Step Out?"

 

Today I wish to share with you a story which was narrated by my grandma many years ago.

They used to live in their native place in Pen, Panvel, Maharashtra, India during those days around 1950s. My grandma was just a child then.

In those times, in India, there were huge joint families and it was common for one's parents, grandparents, cousins, uncles, aunts, etc to stay together in an ancestral home (It's called a WADA in Marathi).

Possibly may have been constructed in the early 1900s.

There was a small storeroom which was also 1+1 (ground + first floor) in the backyard. There was only a ladder though that could be used to climb to the first floor from inside the storeroom which usually remained locked with a rectangular flap in the ceiling of the ground floor.

The bathrooms were also located in the backyard such that they covered 2 sides of the storeroom and the bathroom windows could give you a view of the storeroom.

Now, many of the relatives were used to certain strange things happening around the storeroom like breathing or growling sounds, lights flickering in the bathrooms or the storeroom. Knocks being heard from the storehouse's first floor.

The village people were robust those days and hardly had a care in their lives. But, that's when the intensity of the strange occurences increased and the knocks from the storeroom's ceiling turned into actual sounds of an unknown voice asking, "MAY I STEP OUT?" "MAY I STEP OUT?"

Now, this freaked the hell out of everyone, so they invited an exorcist (BHAGAT) to the place and he almost immediately told them that there was something in the storeroom that was trapped there and wanted to be let out, but he couldn't figure out what it could be. So, he organized a small ritual in a couple of days which happened to be a NO MOON DAY (AMAVASYA).

He had asked my great great grandfather to arrange for some things like flowers, incense, coconuts, rice, turmeric, Vermilion and A Live chicken etc.

All was arranged. The BHAGAT chanted some mantras and carefully arranged all these things along a certain path starting from just under the ladder in the storeroom leading outside the gate of the actual home.

So, you could see all these ritualistic things being scattered along the ground coconuts, rice, etc doused with red and yellow powder and finally a chicken with its leg tied with a string right at the main gate.

After that, he ordered all of us to go inside the main house. My grandma and others went to the 2nd floor terrace to see what would happen.

The BHAGAT chanted some more mantras after that and when he finally heard the call "MAY I STEP OUT?" "MAY I STEP OUT?"

The BHAGAT replied, "YES, COME OUT!". As soon as he did, the 1st floors ceiling door snapped open and it was as if a cyclone had been liberated from that place, it followed the path of all the things that were laid on the ground, tossing everything out, coconuts being broken flying in the air, and finally the poor chicken which died as soon as the cyclone kind of thing passed through her and moved out of the main gate. As soon as it did, the BHAGAT, closed the gate and tied a lemon and chillies to the gate and called the elders outside.

He said, it was probably just a spirit which was trapped to that ground and needed to be liberated.

And that's how the entire story concluded and never again did anyone hear the same "MAY I STEP OUT?" again.

Anyway, hope you liked the story here. There are a few things that she told me after narrating the story which are very interesting about this. But I would share them in my comments after.

Peace.

Ajay K.

Other hauntings by ajonverge

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ajonverge, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sant22 (14 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-02)
HI read your stories. Its really terrifying and shiat scared to read the story along with the comments.

The best and relieving part was the CRICKET comments and the take over of CRICKET from the stories...

Keep writing Keep sharing. Thanks
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-23)
Sheetal no unfortunately I have never visited this place since my father migrated permanently to Mumbai 4 years before I was born. But I sometimes think about this place and wonder what it would be like now. Would definitely visit if I get a chance. Thanks for reading though.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-13)
This must have been a terrific experience. Do you still go to that house?
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-18)
Jubeele: One of my favorite cricketers is Steve Waugh. I was lucky to have been able to watch him on the field. Absolutely calm and composed. N I remember his farewell. So my steve smiths 200 predication came true. Should have put down some money on that 😉. Neway peace.

Meghana23: You may ask questions here. I would be happy to answer with what I know about it. 😊
Meghana23 (3 stories) (32 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-18)
Very interesting 😨...

Would you please say more about it? I am very interested
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-17)
Thanks Ajay. Appreciate the info. It's interesting to learn something new.

Have you enjoyed watching the Aussies make over 600 runs today in Perth? Yayyy!

My favourite captain is still Steve Waugh. Mark Waugh is my favourite batsman. I met Max Walker once - he speaks as fast as Brett Lee's bowling! 😁
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-17)
Jubeele: Theres some text on this website for reference regarding Amavasya. Https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/2864/what-is-the-significance-of-visiting-temple-on-amavasya-day
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-17)
Lady-glow, Rex-T: Later I had a word about this with my grandma. She said, it could have even been "Gupt Dhan" (Hidden Treasure) Basically the older people are said to bury their valuable items in the ground. Now, over a period of time, these things get a life of their own and manifest themselves through these activities so it could be retrieved. I WISH I could say what it was exactly. However, it could just be a spirit or the other thing that I typed earlier. Will remain a mystery to me.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Hi Ajay, I'm curious about the significance of the Amavasya. Why did the Bhagat use the No Moon for the ritual?

My husband says I'm a bit of a worry - ok, I'm a habitual worrier. I'm hoping that it wasn't a "bad" spirit who was imprisoned in the storeroom as a punishment, but now...Eek! 👻

I trust the Bhagat was really, really, really sure that it was safe for the spirit to be released into the world. Hopefully it's long gone safely into the afterlife.

Thanks for this interesting account. 😊
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-15)
Rex-T: haha. Bro. Very nice. I love fish. And I love the catch and release option too. Food chain tho. Its inevitable. Anyway, The Brits lost 6 wickets in 70 runs here. Smith is doin gud tho. Smith myt score a double here.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-15)
Ajay, I may as well get in first and ask why didn't your grandma take some photo's on her I-Phone or maybe being the 1950's an artist's impression! Just joking bro and not at you.

I'm not a fan of animals being sacrificed either. I always remember a Buddhist work colleague as well as my wife telling me that if I caught a fish and decided to eat it, I must thank the fish for its sacrifice. Thankfully I am a 'catch and release' fisherman.

Like lady-glow I'm intrigued to find out how this poor soul got trapped in the ground?

Step Out and have fun whenever you can.
Rex-T
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-15)
Ha... And they were saved by a chicken!🐓

Any idea how the spirit got trapped in there?
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-15)
RCRuskin: I agree buddy. Curiosity makes people do weird things I suppose. But hey thank goodness they *DID* OR I wouldn't have heard of this story then neither from my grandma.
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-14)
RCRuskin: I agree buddy. Curiosity makes people do weird things I suppose. But hey thank goodness they didnt, because I wouldn't have heard of this story then neither from my grandma.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-14)
Hi, Ajay. Interesting narrative. And, this is just me, but from being in over my head on some things like this before, when the Bhagat said to go inside and stay inside, I might have even stayed away from the windows. But that's me. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: