You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Dog's Sixth Sense

Real Ghost Stories

My Dog's Sixth Sense

 

My first story Footsteps into my Room was in 1986, the second story I have was in the summer of 93. I was 12 years old, my dad had divorced and remarried, I moved from my bedroom into the back bedroom that was an addition on to the house. I had to switch rooms because my dad and his new wife had a baby together, my brother, Gregg. It was late at night in the summer so I was off school.

I was asleep in my bed when I woke up to see my Akita, shojo (sho), standing on top of me with its hair standing up and looking from the window back to me and growling at the window. I grabbed sho by the collar and walked her back out to the back room, which was attached to my room, her struggling all the way, and seeming like she didn't want to leave me. I tried to lie back down, but she kept growling, hair on end and still looking out the window. I figured it was just a cat or a skunk that was upsetting her so I took a flashlight and went outside, but I saw nothing there so I dragged sho outside and ran back into the house, shut the door and locked it.

Not but 2 steps back inside the house she began howling and barking, I looked out my window and she was looking at me. Feeling bad I went back outside and let her back in the house. I tried to have her lay down on the floor of my bedroom right next to my bed, but she wouldn't lay down she just stood there, eyes still trained on the window, hair standing up and growling.

I laid on my bed and closed my eyes trying to get back to sleep when even through my closed eyes, I could see a light had been turned on in my room. I opened my eyes, looked over and saw that my fish tank light had come on, so I got up and clicked the button and the light turned off. I lay back down and turned over on my side so my back was facing sho and put the pillow over my head.

All of a sudden the fire alarm went off, I jumped up out of bed and being completely freaked out, ran into my dad's room and got my step mom. She took the fire alarm down, took the battery out and laid it on the dryer that was in the backroom where sho slept. My step mom went back to bed and I sat on my bed, staring at the fire alarm, almost expecting for it to go off again. Sho was still growling, hair on end, staring out the back window, I was so frightened I began praying, "Lord if there is anything here that is not of you please let it be gone, in your name Jesus, Amen..." As soon as I said Amen, sho's hair went down on her back, she turned around, licked my face and went and laid in her usual spot in the back room.

In the morning when I woke up I went to turn on my fish tank light so I could feed my fish and realized that the light burnt out the week before and I had the light sitting at the side of my bed. I couldn't even believe that it hadn't been in there even though somehow the light came on that night.

Other hauntings by peopleinthemirror

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, peopleinthemirror, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

tellitlikeitis (1 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
whitebuffalo,

The bulb was near his bed the lamp itself is usually attached the the tanks lid.
tummy (1 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-07-05)
If I had read this story 2 days ago, I would say that you're going nuts...
After what happened to me yesterday, I am totally freaked out and I simply believe every word that you say.
Last night I was sitting in my living room, talking on the phone with a friend, my dog next to me sitting in front of the fireplace.
All of a sudden, the dog stood up, started staring at the dining (open space, nobody else in the house), his hair all up and started barking. I've never seen him so scared. Thank god I was on the phone because if I was by myself I would have fainted. My dog is 15 years old, he is extremely healthy despite his age and he is very easy going and quiet. Never before has he behaved like that. Even my friend, was scared by hearing him barking and growling. This went on for about 2-3 minutes, I started crying cause I was scared to death. There was absolutely nothing there that would upset my dog. I was speaking to him but he behaved as if I weren't there. The more he barked, the more tears I had in my eyes until I started saying an orthodox prayer (I'm Greek), and the dog suddenly calmed down.
God I'm writing these words and my hair is up, I'm shocked, haven't gone to bed since then. My friend on the phone was scared as well, she didn't know what to do to make me feel better. At least I have a witness, otherwise I would think that I am going crazy.
I have to tell you that last month something else happened in my house. My mother went on the garden to water the plants and she found two paper balls. We opened them and inside there were some burnt pieces of paper, candle leftovers and rubbish that I have no idea what they are. I immediately took that stuff to the church and the priest came to my house to do spiritual cleaning. I suspect that the lady that lives on the groundfloor is the one who does thes spell-things, together with her tenant. One week after we found the balls, that lady broke her leg, and came out of the hospital after a series of surgeries yesterday.
Do you think that all these stuff is co-related? I am thinking about going to the priest again, but I'm quite embarassed, he may think I'm crazy. I've never been an extremely religious person, but after these incidents I ve changed my mind.
I don't know what to say and how to handle it, please help.
Thank you very much for your story, it really gave me courage to share my shocking experience as well
kokumi (13 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hello peopleinthemirror,

That's really a handful situation. I'm just wondering though, when you were 12 years old, did you ever look back to your experience when you were 12 years old. Maybe that man in boots from that night followed you. Well, after 7 years I guess that is too far but things happen anyway. I am glad that you prayed for your protection instead of being scared. Did you tell your stepmom or dad about it? 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
+2
16 years ago (2008-01-06)
Hi peopleinthemirror.
I am a little confused, in paragraph four, you said that you turned off the fish light that had been turned on, but not by your hand. Then in paragraph six you said that the light blew out a week prior to that and the light was sitting at the side of your bed.
How did you turn the light off in the middle of the night if the light was beside your bed and not on top of the tank? If it were atop the tank and you remembered it was already blown, I can see that, but I am having problems trying to figure this out. Did you put the light beside your bed after you hit the switch on it at night?
Animals are perfect seers, unfortunately for them. Poor things must have great hearts to go through the frights that they go through and still survive to become great "watch dogs" for the Great Unknown. I think, by your descriptions here that Sho was trying to protect you.
Thank you.
zerostatic23 (8 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-18)
Good story. I had the fire alarm thing happen to me too. Each fire alarm in my house went off one after another, twice. And no they were not linked together, they just all went off for no reason. It had me running up and down the stairs trying to figure it out.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-10-17)
Hi, peopleinthemirror, That was a good story. Animals have a good sense of these things, they are sensitive. Your dog was wary of what was happening so tried to warn you. Luckily this was a pretty non-threatening incident. Has anything happened since? Thanks for the story.
Elahie (3 stories) (28 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-10-17)
hello ppl... I don't think I will visit this site again cause I get to freaked out at times... So this mite be my last comment... So bye for now... By the way nice story but I wish I had not read it
resamac
+2
17 years ago (2007-10-17)
Oh my goodness. That would freak me out.
You have to love God for protecting us, and you have to thank God for giving your pet a sense so she was able to warn you.
❤Resa
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-10-17)
Thank you for sharing a fascinating story. Apparently, Sho's love for you wa having her alarm you that she sensed something present that should not have been there.

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-10-16)
Animals and small children often sense and see what adults do not. Thanks for sharing your story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: