You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Paranormal Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Experience

 

I've had three strange experiences in my aunt's house in Fife, Scotland.

The first time which was about 12 years ago. I was in bed reading, and my mind was as far from ghosts as anything, didn't really believe in them, when suddenly a creepy feeling came over me, like there was someone in the room. Then I distinctly heard a voice, like a whisper, in my ear. I couldn't say exactly what it said, but it scared me quite badly, and it took me a long time to recover, and I was really apprehensive about spending another night in that room. However, I managed to pull myself together, and nothing else happened for the duration of my stay at the house.

The second experience was about 8 years ago. I was staying with my aunt again, and this time I was awakened out of a deep sleep by the smoke alarm in the hallway. It woke me out of a dream where I think I was talking to what seemed like 3 female figures standing by the side of my bed. I remembered this later. I leaped out of bed, thinking that there was a fire or something; however, there was no smoke. My aunt slept through the episode, and didn't even believe me when I told her about it in the morning.

The last experience I had was 3 years ago. I was in the bathroom in my aunt's house one night, when firstly I heard a creak. The floor in the hallway creaks, then the handle on the bathroom door went down. When I opened the door no one was there. My aunt was sound asleep in bed.

The house was built for my grandparents in 1919, and several of my relatives were born and died in that house. I have been going back to Scotland staying with my aunt for more than 20 years, but have only had these three experiences.

Thanks for listening.

Sincerely,

Al.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alinvan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alinvan (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
I didn't actually ask her, so we'll never really know for sure. Most of Britain has serious history, and Fife has more than its fair share.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
Well, if you saw the door handle move, that eliminates residual energy. I don't know how spry your aunt is, but I suppose it is possible she was up and forgot (assuming she denied being the culprit). Alternative explanation - a true haunting. I can only assume Fife has got some serious history to it.
alinvan (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-04)
I definitely saw the door handle move, but it was several seconds before I opened the door, so I suppose my aunt could have had time to return to bed, but that seems rather unlikely since she seemed to be sound asleep.She's 95 years old btw. Thanks for the comments.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-04)
Very interesting experiences. Did you actually see the bathroom door handle go down or just hear the sound of it? If you just heard the sound, that experience could be residual energy. I have experienced that phenomenon many times, and it is fascinating although usually pretty mundane stuff (like I would be in the basement at home and hear very distinctly the sound of the door opening, footsteps on the stairs and then the sound of the dryer door opening and closing, but no one was there). As for the 3 women, I suppose that could have been a dream, although I often wonder if all dreams aren't actually supernatural experiences (in that they come from outside our minds, rather than being wholly self-generated). As for the voice in your ear, that would terrify me and I commend you for being able to remain in the house. I think I would have got a hotel, but could likely have returned for breakfast or lunch the next day in the safety of daylight.
MsTruNorth (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-01)
I've never seen this passage of the Bible people are referring to. I know there is a warning in Ecclesiates not to speak to the dead (that would also go the other way, that disincarnate spirits are not to speak to us). I think what the verse means--that is mentioned by a couple of posters here--is that the dead whom we experience do not know they are dead ("they know not anything"). They have no memory of dying ("for the memory of them is forgotten"), even though they can no longer share in the activity of the living ("they will no longer have a share in all that is done under the sun").
alinvan (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-01)
Thanks for that Val, very interesting.I'll need to dust off the old bible, but as Lady glow says, it was written a long time ago, and it's hard sometimes separating fact from fiction.
It's amazing sometimes that when I relate my story to friends and family, some think that you've lost it, but some then open up with their own experiences.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-02-28)
I think you're referring to Ecclesiastes 9:5; "For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." King James Bible. It makes more sense if read along with verses 4 and 6: "...4For whoever is joined with all the living, there is hope; surely a live dog is better than a dead lion. 5For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten. 6Indeed their love, their hate and their zeal have already perished, and they will no longer have a share in all that is done under the sun."
In my opinion VermontVampyre, was pretty darn close to the actual meaning.
alinvan (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-28)
Thanks for these interesting and helpful comments! My Aunt as it turns out, has had some experiences, such as tapping on her bedroom door at night, so she always sleeps with her bedroom door open, so as not to be awakened by the tapping. 😲
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-28)
Alinvan: your experiences're unnerving though they do not seem malicious, - do you know if your aunt has experienced something similar?
I wouldn't worry too much about what the Bible says, after all it is written in it that bats are birds. 😕
It is not like I do not believe in it, but we have to keep in mind that it was written a long time ago when mankind was still ignorant and not open to the knowledge of more modern times.
Thanks for sharing.
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-27)
Why would the dead know nothing? After all the sum of our life is imbedded in our soul which is what leaves the body when we die to fly intact to the other side. I can't say I'm well read in the bible but maybe they were speaking of dead bodies? Once the spirit has flown the dead body would know nothing right?:p

People well versed in the bible feel free to whack me with it if I'm being weird/wrong/whathaveyou >.>
alinvan (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
Thanks for that. These are pretty scary experiences for me, and it brings up more questions than answers, such as, how can a ghost or spirit exhibit physical qualities.I'm not particularly religious either, but it says in the bible that the dead know nothing, so that puzzles me too, as to what these manifestations might be, but as Shakespeare once said, there are more things in heaven and earth than we'll ever comprehend... So back to Scotland later this year, to see what might happen this time 😨 😨
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
Hello Al and welcome to YGS. That could have possibly been your relatives and they might have had messages for you or just were watching over you. I don't think it was anything bad.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: