You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Paranormal Phenomena At Railway Track

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Phenomena At Railway Track

 

After a gap of several years, I got the urge to come back to this website again and share my experiences, more particularly one of them.

Railway tracks are often said to be a hotspot for paranormal activities, hauntings etc. The reason is quite simple - many people die in a very violent and sudden manner when they are mowed down by trains. Such violent, traumatic deaths are bound to greatly disturb the natural order of the surrounding environment by its negative vibrations, causing what we term as hauntings.

Those who live in Mumbai central suburbs would know that the long stretch of railway tracks between Bhandup and Mulund is considered especially haunted. Many people have witnessed paranormal phenomena in this site over the years. Due to the burgeoning population of the nearby town, a small new railway station named Nahur was built in 2006 between Bhandup and Mulund.

The incident which I am going to relate now took place in 2016, when I was working in Andheri (a western suburb of Mumbai). Sometimes I would work at office until very late and then rush to catch the last metro train to the central suburb of Ghatkopar. Then I would catch a late-night local train and alight at Nahur, after which I would walk down to the highway to get a bus to my neighbourhood.

There is a narrow path that one has to take to reach the highway and it runs parallel to the railway tracks, with a fence separating it. On the other side of the path is a heavily wooded stretch. The path is almost half a kilometre long and ends in stone steps which one has to climb to reach the highway.

On this particular day, it was an hour past midnight when I got down at Nahur station. Nobody else got down and the station itself was totally deserted, which wasn't unusual for that time of the day. However when I climbed up the stairs of the overbridge to gain the pathway, I could see a stray dog restlessly pacing on the bridge.

When I started climbing down the stairs, the dog followed me and kept following when I started walking along the path. It was then quite evident to me that the dog wanted to go to the highway, but was afraid to go alone and therefore was looking for some company.

There were no lights on the path and the moon itself was not shining very brightly. In addition, it had rained and there were puddles of water everywhere. The dog stayed almost at my heels, but never passing me and taking the lead. From time to time I could hear it whimpering softly. A solitary train roared past without stopping, momentarily lighting up the surroundings.

I had almost reached the steps leading to the highway, when I could see a small black lump lying on the ground a few metres from me. I took out my mobile phone and switched on the torch to see better. It was a dead crow and as I drew nearer I could see that it was badly mutilated. One of its wings was broken and stretched out. Its body was crushed and some of its guts had spilled out. I carefully stepped around it, taking care not to tread on it. The dog was whimpering at a feverish pitch and that puzzled me as dead crows are not uncommon.

I had taken a few steps ahead when I heard a coarse squawk behind me. I turned around in surprise to see the dead crow spring to life and take off fluttering its wings wildly. As soon as it crossed the fence and flew over the railway tracks, it completely and inexplicably disappeared. I blinked my eyes in astonishment and my shocked mind tried hard to make sense of what had just happened.

The dog which was so far slinking behind me decided that it had enough. Its nerve broke and with a howl, it ran past me and sprinted up the steps as if the devil himself was its heels. The dog's action broke my reverie and I swiftly walked up to the end of the path and started climbing. I didn't run up the steps though, because several of them were broken and slipping on them was the last thing that I wanted, and reached the highway safely. All this happened in the space of 10-12 seconds.

The rest of the way home was quite uneventful. However to this day, I cannot forget the strange incident. It still gives me goose-bumps whenever I recollect it. I have used the same path several times after this incident, both during the daytime and at night.

Once I stuck up a conversation with a middle-aged fellow who sits on the stairs and sells butter-milk. I asked him if he ever witnessed anything strange and he told me that eunuch prostitutes use the wooded stretch to service their customers. Once a gang of drug-addicts raped and murdered one such eunuch in the woods, close to where I experienced the strange phenomena. They left the body to rot; and crows and dogs devoured it. Since then, dead crows and dogs are frequently found in those woods. The butter-milk vendor himself would always wind up his business at 9 PM and never stay back for a minute more.

Other hauntings by discerninguser

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, discerninguser, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-22)
Hi Paranormalgal25, thanks for confirming the authenticity of the paranormal activities on the railway tracks between Mulund and Bhandup. It is very encouraging when people like you who also live in same area back up such experiences. 😊
Paranormalgal25 (2 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-06-11)
I stay in Mulund only and Nahur is close to us, so I am pretty much aware of this fact 😊
CreamTea (9 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-23)
discerninguser,

Thank you, with pleasure. I have myself obtained important information through this site, with life changing effect, so I am very grateful to its creators and users for their efforts. I would like to give something back.

Although the longer I live, the less I consider myself to know... You said it well: "There is so much about the world around us that we don't know, so nothing can be discounted."

Yet we must keep trying to discern... So it is nice that we humans can help each other in this wide, wild world.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-19)
TravisCannabis,

Thanks for the compliment bro.

It's difficult for stray dogs to starve in a city like Mumbai. There is plenty of food lying in garbage dumps plus many animal lovers feed them too. Sometimes they die from some illness, but you can make out if that is the case.

And how do you explain the dead crows. They are hardy creatures and they won't starve or touch poisoned food.
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-12)
That was intense bro! Tho I don't know if the dogs are dying from something else maybe they're ill or starving. Or a friggin psycho is poisoning them? 😭
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-12)
"I have observed that some regular commentors on this forum have an unpleasant habit of mocking those whose command over the English language is not very strong. Such commentators make it a hobby of trying to blow holes in the accounts.

Of course, I am not at all insinuating that you are one of them;"

English isn't my native language and, although sometimes I have trouble expressing my ideas and opinions, I find this community very understanding and open to listen to us non-English-speaking members.

Actually, I think your English is very good and you have no problem at conveying your ideas and emotions.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-12)
CreamTea,

That's a lot of interesting information that you have provided in your comments.

You come across as a very well-read and knowledgeable individual; and your comments add a lot of value to this forum.

Pls keep writing and sharing.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-12)
Miracles51031,

Wow, that's a very intriguing concept; that some living person can create a haunting.

It certainly sounds plausible; especially the point about strong emotions and tragedies creating residual hauntings.

There is so much about the world around us that we don't know, so nothing can be discounted.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
-3
2 years ago (2022-01-12)
lady-glow,

I am not at all offended by your questions, just slightly amused. As you can clearly see in my earlier comment to you, nowhere have I said that I felt offended. So kindly don't insinuate that.

As the article shared by you clearly says, castrated men are called as eunuchs (Hijra / Chakka) in India, not homosexual men with normal genitals.

I have observed that some regular commentors on this forum have an unpleasant habit of mocking those whose command over the English language is not very strong. Such commentators make it a hobby of trying to blow holes in the accounts.

Of course, I am not at all insinuating that you are one of them; I am simply making an observation about regular commentators in general.
CreamTea (9 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
discerninguser,

I should also thank you for your kind words. I am happy to be useful.

Stay safe on your nightly walks. 😊
CreamTea (9 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
Miracles51031:

That makes sense. It could be what the crow in the story is.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
CreamTea - yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. Thank you for your comments. I'll look that up.

There is a theory that has been passed around some YGS friends and I about living residual, where a person can create an image of themselves by repeating the same thing for an undetermined amount of time. Like a mailman who walks the same route until retirement but is seen making that same trip after retirement.

I believe living residual is a reality and can't help but feel that trauma such as these kids experience would have to create something, maybe as a release of some of their emotions, fears, etc like a tulpa.
CreamTea (9 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
Miracles51031:

Do you mean becoming a ghost while one is still alive? As in "sending away" a separate soul to bear the pain that the heart cannot contain?

I don't know, but your thought reminds me of two things:

1) What shamans call soul loss.
2) the mysterious film "Come and find me", its script written by Russell Hoban. The main character has the theory that this has happened in a haunted house he investigates. But is he right?
The story is fictional, but perhaps it was based upon something Mr. Hoban had experienced or read of? He studied shamanism, if I'm not wrong... Anyway, it's worth a watch.

The film is part of a British series on the paranormal called "A leap in the dark". Its message is complex, I can't say I really understand it, but it awakens ideas, possibilities, in a poetic way, like your thought... And perhaps a hope of healing...?

Link to the film on YT: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuAvP8hwQuo
CreamTea (9 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
lady-glow:

Thank you, and you're welcome. Yes, it is not easy reading, but I think it is important to share. I believe in the healing power of compassion. The main thing is that we care even when it hurts (and it hurts because we care).

For this reason, I am glad that discerninguser brought attention to this boy's fate. I think it makes a difference.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
As I was reading the comments on this submission, a thought occurred to me.

Because of the tragic circumstances, could a child or teen "create" a ghost or spirit? If a poltergeist can be created from emotions, couldn't someone who lives this life also create something from their emotions?
CreamTea (9 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
Hi discerninguser:

You're welcome.😊
Thank you for sharing your story!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-09)
CreamTea.

Welcome to YGS.
Thanks for such interesting, though disturbing, information.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-09)
WOW!

Discerninguser.

I'm under the impression that you have missed the part of my comment that says: "I do not mean that I doubt your story" and got offended by my questions?

A quick google search took me to the following interesting article:

Http://thingsasian.com/story/eunuchs-indias-third-gender

And that's pretty much all I know about Eunuchs... No harm intended by asking.

"You see, this is not a movie script in which all the questions are neatly answered for the benefit of the audience at the end."

You see, by asking I was hoping that, perhaps, some of my questions could be answered by some traditions and beliefs proper to your culture, things that, as a foreigner, I lack the background to see from your perspective.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback... Like I said before, neither doubt your experience nor was my intention to offend you.

Let's keep in mind that "Truth does not mind being questioned, a lie does not like being challenged."

I'm questioning, not challenging your narrative.

Thanks.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-09)
Hi Rajine, thanks for following my stories. Yes, it's been almost a decade since I wrote on this site. I definitely feel the dog was too scared to walk on the haunted path alone.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-09)
Hi CreamTea, that's a very profound observation that you made about life and death. Thanks also for giving a detailed explanation of eunuch prostitutes. I couldn't have said it better myself. 😊

This comment from discerninguser is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

CreamTea (9 posts)
+4
2 years ago (2022-01-02)
To comment on the story itself:

The badly mutilated crow and the quietly grieving, despondent dog seem, incidentally, to be fitting symbolic representatives of the state of a human soul after such a brutal life and death... The animals that ate this abused and murdered boy may have ingested his unspoken sorrows... Nothing in this world ever disappears entirely... All will out eventually, all must be expressed. That is my belief... Some ghosts are just that: attempts to express something that was too huge (too horrific or too unfathomable) to be communicated fully within the confines of one short life...

I do not mean to say that this explains all ghosts... I think that there are many different explanations depending on the case. But what do others think of this one?
CreamTea (9 posts)
+4
2 years ago (2022-01-02)
lady-glow:

To answer your question about "eunuch prostitutes":
Temple prostitution is still extant in certain regions of India. Poor families, or people who want to strike a bargain with the gods, sell their children to the temples of the goddess Yellamma to become devadasi (temple prostitutes).

Boys are fed alcohol and ritually castrated in a special ceremony. They then become hijras, which are considered a third gender, neither male nor female. They are taught that it is their religious duty to be of sexual service to others.

Girls are taught the same thing. The children are sometimes as young as five or six when they are introduced to this life.

They sing a song:
"Many lie with us, but no one marries us.
Many embrace us, but no one protects us."

So probably, discerninguser is speaking literally.

Sorry for writing so extensively on a topic without a ghost component. (However, spirits of the dark kind that receives energy from the misery of children tend to haunt such temples.)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
2 years ago (2022-01-02)
Hello discerninguser.

It's not clear to me what you mean by "eunuch prostitutes". Are they men whose genitals have been removed or is this an euphemism used in your culture instead of the word "homosexual men"?

I find your experience unnerving and intriguing though, at the same time, I'm struggling to find the logic for these events, and by this I do not mean that I doubt your story, but it's not clear to me if you are suggesting that the spirit of this unfortunate man is responsible for killing all those "dead crows and dogs (are) frequently found in those woods" as a revenge for his death.

Wouldn't it make more sense if the ghost would appear under the circumstances of his last moments? Perhaps screaming and begging for his life to be spared?
Why would he kill the animals if they were not the ones hurting him at the moment of his death? Do you think his attackers mistakenly left him for dead, but he was only badly hurt and the animals fed on his body while still alive, thus him blaming them for his death?

Perhaps the butter-milk vendor leaves the area early to avoid crossing paths with that gang of drug-addicts... Like always, the living are more dangerous than the dead ones.

Thanks for sharing.
Rajine (14 stories) (738 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Hi discerninguser

Been a while since I read a story from you, I think the strangest and perplexing part was the crow coming back to life after the way you described it, animals can see and sense things that we cannot, so I think that dog definitely wanted company to get past that haunted spot.
Kesnitt95 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Animal and bird hauntings are quite scary. Your experience is strange and different.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: