You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Jimmy, my Little Brother's Friend

Real Ghost Stories

Jimmy, my Little Brother's Friend

 

When I was a child, we lived in a rented house just outside of Richmond Va, near a 2-3 story Elementary School just off of Hull Street. The house was a small two bedroom one story house. I don't recall exactly when it started but my younger brother started talking about his best friend Jimmy, which he had "made up" because he really had no other children is age to play with. My brother and I shared a bedroom and whenever I came into the room, my brother would say that Jimmy was hiding from me because he didn't like to be seen. During the time that we lived in this house, we were given a German Shepard puppy who we named "Lady", whose parents were guard dogs at the Towing Service where our father worked. My brother adored that dog and played with her all of the time.

There was one summer afternoon, when I was 5 and my brother was 3, that my brother and "Lady" left our yard and went for a walk. Sometime later, my brother returned very upset that Lady had ripped his pants. My parents were surprised by this because Lady was a very gentle dog, even for a puppy and asked my brother what he was doing and where he was when this happened. He said that he and Jimmy were going to "see the water" (there was a small pond surrounded by trees at the end of our street) and that every time they tried to go beyond the trees, Lady would bark and growl at Jimmy so much that my brother decided to take her home. Lady finally grabbed my brother by his "britches" and drug him home. Our parents reminded my brother that he was not allowed to walk down to the pond alone and that Lady was doing her job by bringing him home, but my brother was adamant that he was not alone, he was with Jimmy. My mother made the comment that Jimmy's mother probably wanted him to come home and my brother said that he was home, that we lived in his house, that he lived in the house first, that his mother went away.

I don't remember exactly when we moved out of the house, but I do know that Jimmy was not mentioned after we moved. When I was in high school years later, I was riding around with my boyfriend at the time and saw the old school. We drove down our old street and stopped a lady who was walking a dog in front of the house that we lived in. I asked her how long she lived in the neighborhood and if she knew anything about the house. She said that there was a lady who lived at the end of the street who could help me. When I asked her about that house, she grew a little pale and seemed to shiver. I told her that I lived there in the early 1970s. The only thing that she would say was that there was a mother and little boy who lived in that house and that the little boy drowned in the pond one summer. I asked if his name was Jimmy and she just looked at me and said "how did you know that?".

I should mention that my brother did not remember Jimmy until my mother retold the story, he did suddenly remember him, but he said that he was a REAL person but that he couldn't understand why he lived in our closet.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joanne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zack1392 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-02)
I have lived off hull street my whole life and I'm pretty sure I know the area you are talking about. Not exactly sure where the lake would be though. Great story.
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
Yet another account of a child that can see spirits. It amazes me how often this could be the case when adults chastize them for having imaginary friends.
ghostfreak14 (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
can you say creepy? At least it is 4 me... And it was a really good thing that lady was there... I wish my puppy was like that... But there's time
crazygirl101 (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-12)
great story
I think that lady the dog was protecting your brother from "jimmy" when they were going to the pond
Thumbs up for the dog
lindamichelle1 (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-23)
wow. This story gave me shivers lol
that is really really freaky.
especially the bit about him living in the closet.

it would make a great movie lol.
kitzy11 (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
who can live without imaginary friends, everyone has them somepiont in there lives, but you should never tell a child that they don't excist or it could emotionally hurt them and make it harder for them to be confident in make real friends. If they have a imaginary friend, I think you should ask the child about his friend and get to know him better. It helps to know about these things. But I have never had an imaginary friend yet I'm olny 12.

kitzy11 ❤
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-28)
This story is well-written and creepy! One of my favorites. Jimmy kind of reminds me of the little boy that lived in that kid's mouth in the Shining. No idea why... But it did.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-13)
This is why it is so important to not discount children's stories of their imaginary friends, however the stories may sound. There is a point when you will feel (and ultimately know) if the stories are just that, and only in their imagination. I do not feel that most children have imaginary friends. I believe that the friends ARE. Most of us are just not blessed enough to see them too.
And look at your brothers friend. Lady more than likely saved his life and should have been given a heroes welcome home.
Thank you for your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-06)
Sounds to me like Jimmy was there playing with your brother. He wa (and maybe still is) attahced to his home. I hope that Jimmy will ne able to cross over.

God Bless!
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-06)
Good story Joanne. I agree with ohiowatha, well-written and pretty chilling. I will be marking this as one of my favorites.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-06)
Whether it's real or not, it's a chilling story. Well-written and pretty cool!
Thanks.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-06)
Imaginary friends or spirits? Can we really say what young children really do see? I don't think so. I wonder if there is a little embellishment in this story as I find it hard to believe that a three year old would wander away from home without anyone noticing, but then again anything is possible. Thanks Joanne for sharing your story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: