You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mischievous Ghost Haunting My Bedroom

Real Ghost Stories

Mischievous Ghost Haunting My Bedroom

 

I, at the moment of writing this, am sixteen years old and have lived in the same house with my parents my entire life. We live in the house my father grew up in, a house of at least seventy years old in the suburbs surrounding Chicago. I know for a fact that my grandfather on my dad's side of the family passed away in our driveway in his car after having a heart attack, but am not aware of any other deaths. I, personally, have always been drawn to supernatural occurrences and ghost stories, but have never truly considered any of this to be real. I am agnostic, but definitely lean more towards being atheist, so I don't blame just any strange events on ghosts or spirits.

Despite this, I have been having some strange experiences lately. We're having an addition put onto our house, so I have moved into my parents' old bedroom while they get something new across the hall. I have always felt a little uneasy in this bedroom, but figured it was just because it's a dark room. It has dark oak floors and pretty dark walls, which I plan to paint something a bit lighter. My parents have told me that when I was a baby I would sit outside of the room and stare into it, intently like I was watching something. Other than that, I have never found anything strange about that room, until now.

When I first moved in, all I had was a mattress on the floor. Within the first week of sleeping in here, I woke up with a pretty large cut near the corner of my eye. Weeks later, it has left a pink, depressed scar, so I can only reason that it must have been fairly deep. There was nothing sharp around me, I checked. I had the door closed, so neither of our two dogs could have come in. The only explanation I had was a centipede that scared the heck out of me after waking up. Centipedes don't cut you though, despite my irrational fears of them. When my parents saw, they figured I just scratched myself in my sleep. It was a deep cut though, my nails aren't too long and something like that probably would have woken me up.

A few weeks later I had a lucid dream, which I have a lot of, so that's completely normal where I was being held down. I woke up in a panic and heard a little girl singing, it was just a few notes, then it stopped. I know this was real because I remember how terrified I had become and got up and opened my door all the way.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened for a little over a month after that. Now I'm almost completely settled into my new bedroom.

Last Saturday I was doing homework, when a sudden feeling came over me. It was a very strange feeling. I just felt odd. I got up from what I was doing and just laid in bed for over twenty minutes staring at the ceiling. This is when my dog started scratching at the door and growling obsessively, my dad let her in and she walked around then stared at nothing. I snapped out of it and she left.

My dog hates me, since I was her original trainer and used a collar that she didn't like since she couldn't pull on her leash. I was the only one who used it, so now she associates me with being evil. She never comes into my bedroom or acknowledges my existence, so her even coming into my room was a big deal. Lately, she's been coming in several times a day, every day, basically walking around, then leaving. It's like she's checking up on something. It's weird. Apparently she even does it when I'm not home.

I woke up the other day with my phone, which I use as my alarm clock, being moved to another space across the room. It's a new phone, and I found my old one in its place. It's like they just swapped places. I know for a fact that I had my new phone with me, as my old one is factory reset and selling on eBay. Why does this matter? I'm very worrisome about everything, so make sure every night that I have my phone right next to me and the alarm is on full volume, usually a few times just because I want to make sure it's there and I won't wake up late the next day. Also, all of my pictures were deleted. You can only do that with a passcode. It could have been hacked into, but that doesn't explain why it was moved.

That same day I came home to find my TV turned on. The remote control is in my closet, in a drawer. To be honest, I don't think anyone knows where I even keep it. I'm very organized, but I'm sure not many people keep their remotes in their closet. The power button is hidden in a very odd place on the side, you probably wouldn't know where it was if it wasn't yours, but I'm sure someone could have turned it on. I asked around, and apparently no one touched it. Maybe it was the construction workers, but why would they turn on my TV, then leave? It's colors were also completely inverted, which was creepy. I'm sure that could be explained by some sort of malfunction, but still.

Anyway, lately I have been feeling more and more uncomfortable in this room. It always feels like there are a pair of eyes watching me. I have a little trouble sleeping at night and when I do sleep, I either don't have any dreams or they are terrifying nightmares. This comes from someone who dreams vividly every night and can remember what it was that I dreamed of months later.

I have a few theories, either I'm very stressed out and a little crazy, something is haunting me, or a dresser I just bought from a thrift store is possessed. It's probably not the dresser though, I just got that last week and I've been having problems much longer than that.

I'd really like to know what you think and will keep you updated if anything else happens. I honestly have no idea if there is something here. Would there be any way to get rid of it, like with sage or something? Please let me know what your opinion on my situation is.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StephenL, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-09)
Hi StephenL: I hope you've had no further experiences and are under less pressure than before. I find myself doing the strangest things when I'm under a lot of stress. What others said about stress, your age, the change in bedrooms and the ongoing construction work are good possibilities to account for the change of the phones and the TV problem. It doesn't really account for the dog's behavior unless it was trying to get a grip that your parents are no longer in that bedroom and you are. If you experience weird things like this again, I'd do the cleansing and paint the bedroom ASAP. It can't hurt, and the new paint might strengthen your claim to the bedroom as your own, in your own mind and in any spirit's mind. The act of doing something, as opposed to nothing, can be a purge of both stress and a spirit. It might also refresh you if you need a bit of a break with immediate tangible results. I quite often cut myself accidentally with my wedding ring, though usually the cuts aren't very deep. The ring is a bit too large and rolls around to my palm side, so if I reach up to brush my hair out of my face it scratches me. I know you aren't married, but if you wear a ring, it's something to think about.

I have to say "Wow" regarding your writing style and spelling. Your story was interesting and very well written. It was easy to understand your situation.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
Hi, Stephen;

Just a quick note to reaffirm SDS's point that your account is very clear and level-headed.

I, too, am agnostic, but I can't see any connection between religion and 'spirits,' 'hauntings,' or 'the supernatural'; the connections most people assert are because their religious beliefs tell them that the phenomena and their belief system are in some way connected. Very seldom do we hear any confirmation of this assertion from the paranormal side of the equation!
Take care,
-Biblio.
StephenL (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-01)
Thank you for all of your suggestions and explanations. I have been extremely busy this past week with homework, so haven't had time to write any responses. Nothing new has really happened and I have basically decided that the activity could just be because of stress and the fact that it's October and I always get nervous like this around Halloween 😜.

I will definitely remember your responses though, this activity went away before. After I was scratched, there was nothing for a few weeks, then everything else followed and happened in a matter of a few days. I will also look into the cleansing, I've always felt a sort of negative energy throughout our entire house, so it's worth a shot. 😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-29)
Hi StephenL,

Everyone has given some top advice and insights. Just wanted to post the link to Rook's page for a cleansing/shielding he has detailed there. It's helped many people and is worth a try for your situation too.😊
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Welcome Stephen1, and thanks for your story. I read your story and even though some of it might be explained, I just feel like you might be drawing something to yourself. Sounds like the changes have got you a little stressed, and a dark room can really affect the way you feel. But I don't think crazy. Since you are close to the new construction, I was wondering if they were doing any electrical work. That could possible explain the TV (even the colors). I am also thinking, because of your age, it could be poltergeist activity, especially the way the dog it acting. Hope everything goes let, Let us know how things are going.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Hi StephenL, welcome to YGS. You may be agnostic but still you did share your experience here in this site, which is primarily for people, who believe in paranormal. Only when you experience it, you will realise it. Not all the experiences or encounters you have need to be paranormal but there are events like what you described in your narrative could be termed as paranormal.

Faith1986 has beautifully summarised what I wanted to say, especially about the construction activity and the poltergeist aspect considering your age of 16. Kudos to you faith and I voted for you.

In our country, we do perform some kind of pooja (I am an Indian by the way) after some construction activity is undertaken in residential places or even in business premises. You could do that. Be strong and be bold. I have a feeling that except for that you described as a cut just near your eye some time ago, nothing seems to be abnormal. Perhaps something is trying to catch your attention. You can speak to it, in a respectful manner, that you do acknowledge its presence and also be firm that it should also respect your privacy and not to startle or disturb you. It would help.

If you feel that it is negative (only you have to decide, because it is your first gut feeling about this entity or spirit that matters), then there is an excellent cleansing method devised by one of the experienced posters in this site, Rookdygin, and it is given in detail if you visit his profile page. Please do try to cleanse and continue it for a few days. If there is anything negative or evil, it will be driven away. The cleansing method works well, suitable for all kinds of people irrespective of their beliefs, and it has worked well for many of my friends to whom I have suggested. Lastly, after it had worked well for you, please do give thanks to Rook.

Regards and respects to you and faith.

SDS
faith1986 (23 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-10-26)
Hello StephenL, thanks for sharing! I just wanted to comment what came to my mind while reading your story is the fact that you guys have recently been doing some major changes to your home. I have heard and read many, many stories of people living in houses for years and years and never having any activity until they start renovations or any construction type stuff... I have also heard various opinions on why, and it seems the main one I see is that the major construction stirs up the paranormal activity. So it could be that it was dormant for all this time and the work to your house sorta "woke it up" for lack of a better explanation... Obviously I don't know for sure, but it is my opinion based on the info you provided. I know other members know much more than I, but I am pretty sure you can do a cleansing and that could help. The other members here can steer you in the best direction for what works best. I just wanted to put in my 2-cents on the construction aspect. Hopefully someone else will comment soon with more info or maybe even give you a better idea of what it could be. But based on what my instincts told me when reading, and what you wrote I feel really strongly that this is possibly what it could be. The only other possiblity I can think is poltergeist activity due to your age. I hope I have helped at least somewhat... And sorry I don't know more about cleansings. I hope everything works out for you soon! Good luck! 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: