You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Haunted Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

My Haunted Apartment

 

We lived in an apartment for one and a half years, and I am absolutely positive that place was haunted!

We moved into it after it had been empty for five years, and no one could really tell us why it had been empty for that long. It was a beautiful place with a big fireplace in the middle of the living room, dividing the living from the dining room. The rent wasn't a lot so we decided to move in at once.

It then started with the bedroom light... I would turn it off each morning when I went to work but when I got back home it would be turned on again. I didn't think much of it the first few times but after a while it started to get on my nerves. I would make absolutely sure I turned it off before going to work, even make a note of it on my phone and in the evening it would be on again... My chinchilla cage was right in front of the switch so I thought maybe it had something to do with that, so I moved the cage away from that place, it still happened though... My boyfriend said I was making a big deal out of nothing and it was probably bad wiring. I decided to go along with that story because it was the only logical explanation.

But more things started happening! My boyfriend has a son from a previous relationship, he was about 6 or 7 months old then, and in the morning he woke up very early so my boyfriend would take him into bed with us so we could get a little more sleep. I noticed the boy always stared at the window (which was covered with dark curtains, so he couldn't see outside), but again didn't think much of it, because well... He was just a baby, babies do weird stuff. Over the next few weeks my stepson learnt to wave to people, it was so adorable! Until he waved to the window in the morning... He did that every time he stayed with us so that scared me a little.

Then one day I had a day off work and was at home together with the dog we were looking after for a few months. We were both on the couch watching TV when I suddenly heard something that made the hairs on my neck stand up straight... My stepson's playpen was in the dining room, and one of his toys was in there. It was a butterfly book and when you press it's nose it says 'hello! Hihihihi'. You guessed it, it went off so out of the blue I heard hello! Hihihihi! My dog started barking like a madman and I had no idea how fast I should get out of the house! So I took the dog and we spent the rest of the afternoon outside until my boyfriend got home from work.

The weeks after that were pretty quiet and I almost started believing I had made it all up in my mind and there was an explanation for everything.

My stepson learnt how to walk when he was about one year old and then the madness began again. One night he was crying his eyes out and screaming bloody murder, so we took him out of bed and sat up with him for a while. We got him some milk and he finally settled down. He was walking around the room with his bottle when something in the hallway caught his eye, he walked toward it and laughed and waved to nothing. My boyfriend and I were both kind of freaked out so we told him to come sit on the couch with us and drink his milk. He started screaming and crying when my boyfriend picked him up and wouldn't be quiet unless he put him down. He then walked into the hallway and held up his bottle in front of him and started laughing again, then he would take a sip himself and hold it up in the air again laughing. Needless to say I almost peed myself! Didn't get any sleep the nights after that...

Also the bedroom light situation had come back and it was even worse. It used to happen maybe twice a week before, but now it happened everyday.

Fast forward a couple more weeks, I got sick so I was home for a few days. In the afternoon I decided to take a quick walk with the dog, everything was normal when I left. When I came back, not so much! We got up to our floor with the elevator and as soon as it opened my dog started growling, he didn't want to go to our door... He had his tail between his legs and looked really scared. I told him to behave and stop being crazy, and opened the door.

We had a moonchair standing in the corner of the living room, it was a wooden ring with a big round thing on it with a pillow so you could really curl up in it (I don't know how to explain it better). The two parts were lying separated on the floor. The ring had been moved forward blocking the bedroom door and the sitting area was flipped over upside down. All the lights in the house were turned on and all the papers that had been lying on the table were scattered across the floor... I checked every room in the house to see if somebody was in there but found no one, the door to the balcony was locked and so was the front door before I entered...

The owner of the dog we were looking after was getting better and wanted his dog back so we decided to adopt a dog ourselves. We bought a big shepherd mix, German shepherd x Belgian shepherd. She is a very sweet dog, but whenever we left her alone in the house she would whine and bark for hours, driving our neighbours crazy.

This, together with the weird experiences, made us decide to look for a new place to live. Luckily we found one not very long after that. Since we moved no lights have turned on by itself, no objects have moved and nothing makes sound by itself. The dog has never barked when we left the house, my stepson only waves at real people and I feel a lot safer in my own house! The apartment is still for rent...

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Roxje92, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Hi Roxje
Welcome to Y.G.S.
I liked your story very much. That apartment had at least one spirit maybe two. It was an intelligent haunting, the difference being residual hauntings do the same thing they did every day and do not know you are there and do not interact with the living. Thankfully it seems like it was just a mischevious ghost (s) and were happy to stay at the apartment. I wish that you had taken pictures of what ever your step son was waving at and tring to share his bottle with so you could tell us what you saw on the screen.
Regards
Red
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Greetings, Roxje92. Thank you for sharing your very creepy experience with us on YGS! You write beautifully in English.
~Seraphina
Carenna (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Very interesting read. I also want to comment that my baby waves at "nothing" too.
My baby sleeps by my fiancé and I. One night she woke up and I'm a light sleeper so I woke up too. She sat straight up in bed and looked into the dark living room and waved. I was so creeped out, I just laid her back down and pretended it didn't happen, lol.
And another time Cody my fiancé and the baby's dad, was carrying her through the dark house trying to get her to sleep and every time they got to the bathroom, she'd wave. Creepy.
I've just chalked it up to "that's just what babies do. Wave at everything" to make myself feel better lol.
Roxje92 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it:) and also very glad we moved out of there haha... My boyfriend used to be a sceptic about the paranormal, but even he is convinced there was a ghost or something there
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Hello, Roxje92 Awesome narration and I really enjoyed your story... With a great pace and great ending... I am glad you moved out of that place... May be it was some residual ghost... A notorious one... Thanks for sharing:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: