You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Face Of Evil

Real Ghost Stories

Face Of Evil

 

I was ten years old, growing up in Liverpool, England. I was a pretty normal child with a good set of friends and a loving family.

My Dad had been taken to hospital for an operation on his legs. My mum and me went up every day to see him, and the medical staff used to let us stay most of the day.

Of course, being a ten year old tomboy, being in a hospital ward visiting bored me after the first couple of hours. I was restless. I wanted to explore, to go on "expeditions" as I said to my Dad, so off I went, exploring the hospital.

I came across a chapel. Now if you know Liverpool, you'll know that the Royal Liverpool University Hospital has a huge chapel, with a wind pipe organ. I had found it! Treasure! Just like Indiana Jones, who was my hero, I wanted to explore its secrets. My ten year old imagination was overcome with possibilities. The organ held a secret passage that would only open if you played the right tune, I told myself.

Excitedly, I sat down at the enormous instrument, and sheepishly pressed a few keys. I heard a giggle, and turned around to see what looked like a homeless man sitting on the pews. I eyed him, and panicked. I apologised, then ran.

The next day, I went back to the chapel and saw the homeless guy in the pews again. I went in, as he looked kind. We chatted and he seemed to understand my boredom. My childlike conversation was limited to things I liked and disliked.

After a short while, he asked me did I want to play the wind pipe organ again. I jumped at the chance, and he taught me how to play Frere Jacques!

This continued for a few days until one day I went down to the chapel to meet "Benny" (as I called him as he never told me his name, though I asked, but when I said Benny, he told me he didn't mind me calling him bit that name. I was a kid, I thought nothing more of it.)

I distinctly and specifically remember always running through the corridor to get there quicker, but on this day, I slowed down to a slow walk as I came close to the chapel threshold. I stood rigid still for some reason, and never stepped over. Benny was there... But Benny "felt" weird. And then I saw it...

His face started to twist into something I can only explain as evil. I was a kid, but I knew the difference between good and bad. This was more than bad. I remember thinking it was like looking into hell. (I'm not religious, nor will I ever be. That doesn't mean to say I don't believe in a creator, like an Architect of the universe as the Freemasons say. Even as a child, I had an aversion to religion. Why need the middle-man when you can "speak" direct? My own personal belief is something I'll get into another time.)

By this time, I was terrified. I turned to run, but it was like everything slowed down. It seemed the corridor got longer, I knew I was running fast, but it felt like I was moving at a snails pace. I remember screaming and at that point, everything became normal again. As I was running, I KNOW I heard the most evil laugh, ever.

I still remember that face in detail. I remember that laugh. I wonder from time to time, why it chose a chapel, and why it chose to show itself to a child.

My mother always says a hospital chapel is where there is more desperation, fear and pleading with "God" for the life of their loved one. She suggested that it's the "perfect feeding ground" for evil to bargain. It could be so, I'm not sure. The awful thing is, I know I'll face it again at some point in my life.

Incidentally, my mother was told by a "psychic" that at the age of ten I would face grave danger.

I swear this account is 100% real, honest and true. And I know each of us has our own belief system.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GothamsReckoning, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rajine (14 stories) (769 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-03-24)
This really is a creepy thing to happen, we all have a sixth sense or a intuition that kicks in during the face of danger.
L_Mak (9 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-08)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have read many and this is probably the most creepiest I have read on here. Especially for a child to experience.

Anyway, yes I follow a religion but I don't believe in ghosts that come after living things die. I do believe in Djinns (good and bad ones) bad ones could also be called Demons like you said above. Djinns can shape-shift to be anything they choose pretty much and this one chose a human form to talk to an innocent child and then revealed it's true self and unfortunately could have revealed its true evil intentions that final day you saw it.
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Hey guys, thanks for the lovely comments and the welcomes. Sorry.haven't responded until now, life sometimes has a way of saying "No, no. You've had it good for a while. Time to play let's make you run around like a lunatic."
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-25)
Hello, Gotham... This is scary encounter indeed! I loved the responses thanks for sharing
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-10)
I really enjoyed reading this story and the responses and theories behind it. I can only imagine the terror you must have felt as a child seeing this. The fact that it has resonated with you all these years later tells me that it was a very real and horrifying experience for you. It's also very interesting that others have experienced face morphing as well. I guess it gives us reminders that not everything on the surface is what it seems. Thanks for sharing. 😊
Xakie (8 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-10)
...This was very interesting and yes they do target places like this to rattle ones belief (Nor am I religious) but you are very lucky you found out what it was and that fear was just, for that my friend was demon you encountered the embodiment of pure evil, where all collective negative human emotions come together and manifest that at least is what a demon is to me anyhow (Not trying to offend anyone's beliefs) seems you might have a little bit of sixth sense in you my friend stay safe okay?
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
Hiya Mandy,

When I first found the chapel and its organ player I got spooked by the giggle he gave as I didn't know he was there. But anyone would do the same I suppose.

But no, I never felt anything strange or not right before that day whatever it was chose to show itself.

I heard somebody say once that the devil can appear to be an angel (according to christian/catholic belief of which I am neither) as apparently he/she/it was once an angel called Lucifer which means light bringer. Now I'm not saying what I saw was the devil/Lucifer in Benny. What I felt that day was that it was ancient. I can't prove or disprove the existence of a creator, and I don't wish to start a massive debate on what's fact or fiction as matters like that are for a persons individual faith or non faith, but this experience definitely opened my mind as I got older to the belief that anything is possible, I'm open to interpretation, and I think your inclination is a very possible explanation. Thank you hun, and its good to "meet" you.

Have you had any experience?

Steph xx
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
I am inclined to wonder if Benny was actually a real person before the incident occurred, kind and human- and perhaps, what you came across that day was an impersonation of the real Benny. Something evil moonlighting as a child's friend to draw them closer... But when the child feels how wrong it is, doesn't come closer so it scares the kid as best it can, because. Well, it's evil.
I only wonder this because you had never previously felt any negativity from Benny prior (is that right?) and I assume you would have, should he have been the same entity the entire time. I feel like, with the way you've described it, that kind of primordial evil would be difficult to mask without setting off your internal alarm bells sooner. Plus, why not just mask it until you're close enough to grab...hmmm. I'm very sorry you experienced such a terrifying thing, especially as a child!
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
Hey Wish and Matty!

First of all, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Wish- OK THAT is rare to get something like that when you recorded it to DVD. Also with your wife seeing it too. I wonder why these things manifest? Thanks for sharing, its always comforting to know there are others like yourself that had a similar experience to myself (but horrifying also) that understand exactly what I'm talking about, and I'm not losing my mind.

Matty - a fellow scouser! Yay! Hello mate! Thank you, and I used to work over in Birkenhead (Price Street) not that long back. Our very own scouse spooks society! I'll be reading your stories after work tonight. Your spelling doesn't look that bad to be fair mate but who is perfect? Certainly not me. Live and let live I say, unless you steal my chocolate fudge cake and then we won't be friends.

I've had a couple more incidents that I fact explain by logic and rationale happen, so will put them up at some point.

Cheers mate
Steph
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
😆 yup more coffee alright! I'll have mine with holy water please!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
Mack, that is creepy. Note the similarity: driving to work...morning...maybe we just both needed more coffee 😆

GR - yes, that sudden gut feeling is something. I've learned to pay attention to it and ask questions later!
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
Hi GR. Good questions. Really not sure why as each individual whose face morphs (I believe due to spirit influence) would have its own particular situations and reasons why it would choose to reveal itself and also to who and why.
Such a mystery... 😊
MattyDude2009 (6 stories) (19 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-01)
Hey, I really like your story and I know exactly where you mean. I live in Birkenhead and I've had some spooky experiences. I have a few stories, check 'em out if you like. My spelling isn't great, as I posted my stories years ago. Anyway, I would love to hear some more of your eerie experiences.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-01)
Gotham- There seems to be a long list of others seeing something similar to what you saw. I too have witnessed this odd morphing.

However, mine was on the TV. It was on a national news here in the US. The camera was panning to the right over a group gathered on a street corner. One individual that was in the middle suddenly morphed/changed. My wife didn't see it so I was able to rewind the DVD and was able to watch it over and over. Truly FREAKY!

So along with the other testimonies, this type of thing does happen. I like Mack's theory.

Thanks for sharing. And welcome to YGS!
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-01)
Hey DandK and Macknorton.

DandK, isn't it weird how you just feel it in your gut, you just know. There is no plausible explanation for it, it feels like you just tuned in to Radio SomethingsVeryWrong, and every fiber of your being is screaming at you "HEY YOU MORON THIS IS REAL, KICK IN, KID." but you can't help but watch.

Macknorton, that is freaky. I wonder you guys why it chose (if it did indeed intend to choose) us to see it? Or do you think we had the ability to at that point in time to see its true face?
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-01)
DandK - that is seriously intense! Change of underpants required methinks!
I had a similar but not nearly as full on experience about 17 years ago. I was driving to work one morning and I was looking in my rear vision mirror at a woman behind me in her car. She was about 20 metres away and as she turned left off the road I saw her face change into the most hideous evil expression. I only saw it for a couple of seconds and she wasn't looking at me but it was enough for me to still vividly recall it even today.
I can't say for sure it wasn't an hallucination but I'm not prone to those so I have to assume it was something else...
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-31)
Hi GothamsReckoning, I had a similar experience. I was driving to work one morning and as I was pulling up to a busy intersection with a red traffic light, I saw an old woman sitting on the bus stop bench on the corner of my side of the intersection.

I was in the second lane over away from the bench. She was wearing a gray wool coat and hat, and an old fashioned looking cotton dress, like the type the house help wear in the movies made in the 30's. She was looking away from me and was a couple of car lengths ahead of my location. As I pulled up to the light, it turned green and traffic started to go forward. When I started getting closer to the lady on the bench, I started to feel an awful evil presence that I still feel in my gut ten years later when I recall this event. This made me look over at her as I drove by her. When I looked, she seemed to slowly turn her head towards me, like slow motion. She made eye contact with me and what I saw in her face was unlike anything I've seen before or since. Her face morphed into something that looked like it was melting wax, dripping blood. Her features were distorted and she emanated hatred for me. One of her eyes looked like it wasn't going to stay in the socket. She kept looking me in the eye. My initial reaction was that this person needed immediate medical attention. Then, I kept looking and realised that something was very wrong. A person's face couldn't be melting like that without substantial pain and they certainly wouldn't be sitting on a cold morning at the bus stop. She kept staring at me with such hatred.

I felt like I had to get away from her and felt it was extremely important to stop looking and to not look back. I have wondered many times if I'd imagined the extent of the morphing and melting. I've even wondered if she was even really there. But the fact remains that I felt the evil and the need to get away and saw a face that appeared to transform into an evil entity. By the way, I don't recall ever seeing someone at that bus stop since then.
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
I just saw "the author is a middle aged adult"

Well, cheers YGS. I'm only 39 and middle age in the US and UK is 53. Check google. Lol lol ❤
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
Hiya Tweed and x77, thanks for the welcome!

Tweed, that's plausible, and very interesting. A protective "force" showing me Benny's true face/intentions. He could well have been a nonce, which seems more of a rational explanation the more I think about it. I remember him asking if I had brothers or sisters and how old they were. That may just be nothing though. Mum and Dad asked me if he ever touched me, and he never did.

X77 - Its hard to describe, but I will try. Benny wore a beige scruffy wooly bobble hat, had curly unwashed dark blonde greying hair, same colour stubby beard, and sky blue eyes. He was overweight, corduroy trousers, cheap dirty trainers (sneakers), and a black wax coat. His face distorted and the best way to describe it would be imagine looking at a painted face in a candle, that candle starts melting very quickly, tge face in tge candle would elongate and distort, features become unrecognisable. Then his face shifted, eyes as black as space without stars, the other features twisted into a feral, rabid snarl but grinning. Thought of it still panics me to this day. I felt like I was looking at/into an old ancient evil.

I will never forget the sheer terror I felt trying to get away, when I screamed, it was like time came back and I could move properly.

And that laugh. I still hear it whenever I think of it.

On everything I hold dear, this is the truth. I will never ever forget it.
x77 (1 stories) (23 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
Oh...nice story, This is one of a few stories that really make me feel terrified in this site.
I am Taiwanese, I originally have the same question why the evil can be in the chapel, but your mom's explanation seems make sense.
However, It seems that the evil Benny didn't make any hurt on you;instead, he seemed to be kind, why do you believe he is evil? Could you describe how his face twisted in detail?

Finally, to some extent, I think sometimes evil men, such as paedophilia, would be worse than evil...
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Hi Gothams and welcome,

Geesh this was one heck of a disturbing encounter, so glad you came out unscathed!
While reading I couldn't shake the feeling of nonce. The fact you slowed that day and stopped at the threshold, you said Benny felt weird. Wondered if the face you saw was your own intuition receiving this individual's true intentions. That, or a protective entity was showing you an underlying truth with that disgusting face morph.

Hope I'm wrong and it was a negative entity attacking an innocent man. That would be the best of all bad possibilities.

Whatever the hell was going on that day I'm glad you were safe!
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Hey, SDS.

Cheers for the welcome, bud!

Totally accept your opinion, and it certainly is another way to look at it.

However, I can't agree. It was the awful foreboding feeling of something wasn't right before I even got to the threshold. I knew before I even saw him to just stop. I see myself as fairly rational and logical and even as a child, but in my heart and mind, I KNOW it was something paranormal.

As I said though, I accept your view. So thank you for your insight, and for taking the time to comment. Kudos to ya.

Steph x
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Hi GothamsReckoning, welcome to YGS and thank you for sharing your experience. I think that it need not necessarily be paranormal. Benny might have been affected by some pain because of which his face might have turned, to you atleast, evil. Because every day you went and saw him and he seemed to be a kind individual. Perhaps at that age, when he was experiencing the pain, his face would have turned ugly and you might have thought that it was evil personified. I think you were too young to investigate about it then. The laughter like sound you might have heard was that Benny might have called you for help and even in that pain, he must have laughed at you because you were scared. Just a theory. But, I feel that the possibility that it might have been a paranormal sighting is quite far-fetching, according to me.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

P.S.: Mack, you insight is very good and I voted for you.
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Sorry, I mean Mack. Damned auto correct. Sorry!

Steph 😳

Thanks again.
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Hey Mark,

Thanks for that. It's an angle I have not looked at before, one that seems very plausible.

I was terrified, that creeping unsure feeling before I stopped at the threshold to that all out terror that makes your heart pound in your ears. I DID see that face change.

Sometimes I think my adult brain still tries to tell me that as I've grown to a 39 year old woman, and a mother of a five year old boy, that as people grow, we add on to our memories from.childhood. Maybe with normal memories, like the time I broke my arm - my adult mind recalls the pain as unbearable worst thing I have ever experienced, when in fact as a child, I was playing around two hours after I got a cast put on, so it couldn't have been half as bad.

But I know for sure. That "Benny" was EXACTLY as I remember it.

Thanks again Mark, that view seems more plausible, and in all honesty easier for me to accept.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Hi Gothamsreckoning - that's a very interesting experience. My initial thoughts are that "Benny" was indeed probably homeless and flesh and blood as you were. However, it appears to me that he may have been temporarily influenced by a negative entity.

There is a phenomenon called "transfiguration" whereby spirits are able to change the face of the person they are manifesting through, most usually a cooperating medium as far as I understand.

This "Benny" character may have had a history of alcohol / drug abuse / mental illness etc that has allowed an entity to attach itself to him and then present itself at will?

Possession is a contentious topic and not at all really understood but this experience certainly suggests all was not well with "Benny".

In terms of the setting of the Chapel, I agree with your Mother that possibly parts of Benny felt that he needed to be in that space as a last resort or he was seeking solace? I sincerely hope that you never have to face that "face" again, must have been terrifying for a young child.

Very vividly expressed experience that I found very interesting.

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: