You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Mysterious Stranger

Real Ghost Stories

A Mysterious Stranger

 

Back when I was younger (I was around 14 years old) I was living in my old house in Shafter, CA. It's a small town, with some haunted places (the Green Hotel, for one). Now, I was never a doubter in the supernatural, but I was never a believer. My room was separated from the living room by a tiny... Hallway isn't the right word. It was like a little intersection that fanned to the bathroom, living room, my room, and my parent's room. I used to share a bunk with my younger brother (he was 10 at the time).

Before this, I never had any kind of supernatural or otherworldly experience. I was sleeping soundly, when all of a sudden I woke up. It was Tuesday night, my dad was away at work for the week, and I could hear my mother and brother snoring. They are both overweight, so I was surprised when I turned around (my back was facing the "hallway" and saw a lady in a gray dress. She was skinny, wearing a gray dress. The light in the living room (I assume it was that, or she was radiating herself) was on, and I could faintly through the dress, much like her silhouette in the dress fabric. She just stood there, and her face, while dark, had a sharp, angular beauty to it. I hid under the sheets, and went back to sleep. The next night, I again woke up at the same time (which was 12:37, I know because this happened for many nights) and saw her again. I told no one, and eventually I just stopped seeing her. Every night was the same though - I awake with my back towards the "hallway" and turn around to see her for a few minutes before I go back to sleep.

Anyone know what it might have been?

Other hauntings by Massive_Lemon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Massive_Lemon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Massive_Lemon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Something else came up, too
I was telling my parents one day (we were discussing hauntings and such) and I mentioned a ghost in the old house. As soon I said "There was a ghost in the old house..." my father said "Yeah, a female ghost, skinny lady..." I have NEVER mentioned this to my family, at all. My mother also stated how she always felt scared at the old house, as if she wasn't wanted there.
Massive_Lemon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Actually, I finally have some sort of update.
No one died in the house (that I could find), but having recently started Summer School at a local college, I had an interesting experience. I was walking to my Chicano Studies class, and I bumped into a girl on the way there. I never, ever met her before, but...
She looked familiar. From her stance, to her body shape, down to the sharp, angular beauty of her face...
It looked just like the lady I saw when I was younger (I'm 18 now).
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-15)
Hi Massive_Lemon, the library may have some info, if not go to the County Courthouse and check the deeds office, it`s all public record. They should be able to give you a list of the previous owners as far back as they started keeping records. Happy Hunting !

FRAWIN ❤
Massive_Lemon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-15)
I would like to start one, but the lady that bought the house doesn't live in it- I've gone to my friend's house (he lives half a block down) and he says no one goes in, except for the occasional gardener. So until I find her, I don't think I can do much. Oh wait, think the library might have something?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
I would probably venture to guess a residual haunting also as she appeared at the same time and place every night. I was wondering if you started on the investigation of the old homestead, and if so, has anything turned up yet that is interesting? Thank you.
Massive_Lemon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Well I don't live there anymore, but if it was residual, I'm just wondering why I only experienced it that one year. Not doubting, but no one else seemed to notice anything. On another note, I went to Showgirls/Deja Vu (Local strip club), and saw a dancer who reminded a LOT of the female ghost- especially in the face.
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Great story Massive_Lemon, but I really have to agree with Mustang. And you're right about the quartz, it is the perfect conductor. I live in Colorado, and I still have never been to the Stanley Hotel yet. Great story though. 😐
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Rosemary-A residual haunting are 'ghosts' that go about there own routine and don't even know that you are there. The 'ghost(s)' do the same thing at the same time of day everyday or they could do the same thing once a year, like on an anniversary date. Like reinacting their death every year, on the same day, at the same time. I read once that this family's house was haunted so they tore it down and built a new one only for the same thing to continue. Basically, it's like residue of energy the person leaves behind to keep replaying itself on a certain date and time. I don't believe it to be a ghost that is trapped and needs to be told to go to the light. I've also read that if the land has Quartz(I believe this to be the correct gem/stone), the Quartz is like a tape recorder taping events in time and replay them later. If you ever have seen the Ghost Hunters episode when they are at the The Stanley Hotel you would know what I'm talking about. That hotel is built into the side of a mountain which contains Quartz. Hope that helped in defining, basically, what a residual haunting is! ~Shelby ❤ 😊
Rosemary (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Spirits don't have to necessarily have lived there to appear to you.
They could have seen you somewhere and followed you home, or they could be a Spiritual Guide hoping you will acknowledge them and let the World know they re alive.
I am not sure what residual hauntings mean unless it means residential?
Spirits can go anywhere they choose to as they have freedom to do this.
When a body dies, the intelligence and memories both good and bad go with them to the Spirit World and from there they can visit almost anyone they choose to and I have learned this from the Spirits I communicate with.
My Spirits go shopping with me and they go to family holidays and they find my car when I lose it in the parking lot and they can go to stores and come back and tell me that something I want is on sale and I'll go buy it.
They can be quite knowledgeabe and helpful almost like having a fetch dog.
For example one Spirit who was a psychaitrist when he walked the Earth now in the Spirit World has nothing better to do than to hang around and wait until its my time to go and he says he is keeping an eye on me so I don't get away because he think we are Soul Mates and he doesn't want anyone else to make of with me.
Massive_Lemon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-18)
I lived there from 6 to 17, and before that, I had never experienced anything. She never moved, she never did much, just stood there. I saw her for maybe a minute tops, and went back to bed. I can (and plan to) investigate the background of the house. I moved out but hopefully the new owner will not flip out or anything. Thanks to everyone.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Massive Lemon (cute name 😁)
It sounds as if there may have been (or is) a residual haunting in the home. This occured at exactly the same time every night, in the same manner. This is typically how residual hauntings, they do the same thing at the same time, just as they would have if, well physically alive.

thank you for sharing your story with us!

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Hi Massive_lemon! It sounds to me, more than likely, either your house or the property is haunted! I don't know how long you've lived there or the history of the property or the house so I couldn't say for sure. It seems like this woman was trying to tell you something or maybe needed your assistance but didn't know how to communicate with you. Did she ever do anything but just stand there? Did she ever move? It also could be or could have been a sign of some kind. It sounds harmless any way you look at it. Thanks for sharing your story.~Shelby ❤ 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: