You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Visit from Arnie

Real Ghost Stories

A Visit from Arnie

 

As I left the office, the only thing I could think about was getting out of my suit and heels and into some sweats and tennis shoes. I was looking forward to relaxing as it had been a very long day and the end of the week was near, the weekend holding a promise of maybe some relaxation and rest.

I turned on the radio in my truck to relax on my way home. As I merged into to traffic on I-480 south bound, I found that the traffic had soon come to a crawl. I turned stations on my radio to see if there may be a traffic report to explain the congestion. A news report came on shortly explaining a horrific accident that had occurred on the I-480 north bound side that was causing many problems for traffic proceeding in both directions. I decided that I really did not want to deal with the traffic mess and would exit at the first chance and take the side streets home. I tuned back onto my music, as I approached the next exit near Creighton Medical College, I could see the wreckage on the off ramp. It was horrible! The red car had folded like an accordion upon hitting the tree. There, of course, were medical crews on scene and they appeared to be administering CPR to the poor individual extracted from the car. I said a silent prayer for God's will and proceeded off the exit ramp.

I decided to stop at a convenience type food mart to grab milk and bread, hopefully keeping me from having to go out later in the evening. I made my way through the store looking for the items I needed, as I rounded the corner, my cousin Arnie approached from the other side. I was so excited to see him! It had been months since we had seen each other. I knew he had recently taken on a second job to make ends meet (times are tough all over and a dollar doesn't seem to stretch as it used to) but he looked terribly exhausted. "Arnie!" I exclaimed, "I am so glad to see you!" He stared blankly at me for a few moments then greeted me with a hug and a "how are you". I told him I was well and asked how he was doing. "I am --- okay. I am so tired, so tired. I want to go home". I asked him if he needed my help. He said no, he had a fare he was picking up at Creighton, he was driving a taxi as his second job. It was important to finish the job and pick up the fare.

He looked so tired and had such a blank expression that I became concerned. I told him I would call his dispatch and tell them he was ill, I could drive him home to rest and they could send someone after the taxi. He said no, he had to pick up his fare, He then kept repeating, at least three or four times, that he just wanted to go home, do his job and go home. Arnie had three wonderful children that he loved more than life itself and I was assuming his was missing his children, but he just looked ill. I told him that we needed to keep in touch and that I missed seeing him. He turned and walked away towards the check out stand and looked back over his shoulder. As he walked away, over his shoulder, he said 'love ya'. His words were slow and halting and he was walking very slowly. My concern maintained. I felt he was ill and needed to rest.

I grabbed the couple of items I needed from the store and proceeded to the check out. I figured I could catch up to Arnie and maybe persuade him to take me up on my offer to take him home. He should not be driving, let alone picking up taxi fares, feeling that poorly. As I approached the check stand, Arnie was no where in sight. I asked the clerk if she saw which direction Arnie had gone. She asked what he looked like, I described him, and Arnie was hard to miss. He was about 6'3", 250 pounds with shoulder length blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. The clerk replied she had not seen anyone fitting that description. There was only one check out register, so... I chalked it up to her having seen so many people all day that she had forgotten. I looked into the parking area quickly to see if I could pick him out in the lot anywhere. He was no where to be seen. I made my purchases and continued home. I figured I would call Arnie later and see how he was feeling.

As I continued my drive home, the radio mentioned the accident again and stated the interstate was still backed up due to the accident. I got home, changed clothes and sat down to relax. My husband asked if I would like to go to dinner at one of those family style restaurants, neither of us wanting to cook. We got back into the truck, the radio announced the accident was still being cleaned up. We took the side streets. As we ordered our dinner, I began to get a terrible headache. A few minutes later I became very nauseated. I thought perhaps I was suddenly coming down with something.

Our dinner was served and I asked for a box. With the way I had started to feel, I would not be able to eat a thing. A few minutes later my cell phone rang. It was my Aunt, Arnie's mother. She informed me that Arnie had just passed on. He was in a horrible car accident driving his taxi. She went on to explain that it was the very accident that had been on the radio and had blocked traffic earlier in the evening. I was stunned! The accident occurred at around 4:15 PM. They had a terrible time extricating him from the wreckage. He passed at Creighton Medical Center at 6:30 PM.

I was absolutely numb! I had just seen and visited with Arnie at the food mart at 5:30! How? Why? I am still numb and confused. This incident occurred 2 days ago, and as I grieve for Arnie and for my families loss I also continue to wonder and feel confused and actually a bit frightened.

Why do these things keep happening to me? What shall I do about this?

Other hauntings by KimSouthO

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimSouthO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Wow! Kim, I haven't read this story until now, it must have been published before I joined the site, but WOW! Again I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin, but I love that the spirit body can survive the actual body.

Thanks so much for writing this
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Oh my goodness! I read this story on here a few months ago when I wasn't yet a member. I remember being so creeped out. This was one of my favorite stories, but I couldn't find who posted it. I knew I wanted to add it to my favorites when I became a member. So it was you. I am really sorry that this happened to you. He chose to show himself to you though! Thats awesome right? He chose you. ❤ Jasmin
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
bigpatti87,
Thank you for your profound and very heart felt comments. I agree, we are truly blessed!

God Bless!
bigpatti87 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
Well I would say that this story didn't freak me out but I would be lying but it was a touching story... You are fortunate to experience what you did and to know that he loved you until the end is really a blessing... I can only imagine how hard it is to go through the things you have but its times like these that there is definitly some kind of reward in the whole scheme of things.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Wow Kim, what an incredible occurence! You must have been completely dumbfounded.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your cousin. It sounds like he came around to say goodbye to you.

I don't know why these things happen either but you must have a very special gift.

Jennifer ❤
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-19)
KimSouthO: oh my Kim! I am going through your stories, as you are by far my favorite poster, and this one is my most recent read. How wonderful and horrible at the same time. To get the sad prviledge to see your family member and get to actually HUG him before he passed on must have brought on a myriad of emotions. I have a VERY dear friend that passed away also in a horrific car accident, that visits me in my dreams. In your opinion, as someone who has experienced many other wordly things do you think its really him? Or just my mind trying to cope with his death? I wonder myself everytime it happens because its as if I can actually "feel" his arms around me hours after I wake up. Maybe I'm crazy. Anyway, this story is going to my favorites for sure. Thank you so much for telling us your AMAZING experiences!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Thank you to all who have commentted, my family sincerly accepts your condolences.

luvparanormal,
thank you so much for your wonderful message! It means a lot to me to share and have others respond and care. I appreciatte it a great deal!

Nebmom,
Hello fellow Nebraska mom! Thank you for your expression. You are right, Brandon did have a couple of conversations with his dad after his passing. These have pretty well stopped now. I hope Arnie is at peace.

Shane,
Hello my friend! I had been waiting to hear from you! Thank you for reading my story and taking the time to comment, it means a lot coming from you. I respect your opinion greatly. You have a lot of insight into the paranormal, although we have not formally met, I feel as if I have known you for years.

thank you again to all of you.

God Bless! ❤
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
OMG Kim I jsut read this one! I am so sorry about your loss I could not believe it, I know it;s hard at this time but I also have to say that you were very fortunate to have him come to you and say bye. I thank you for sharring this with us. It takes a lot of courage to talk about things like this and I have to say it almost felt as if I knew you for ever and have to say it hurt me to see you in pain.
I will be praying for you and hang in there remember that things happen for a reason.
God Bless you!
Nebmom (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Kim - I am very sorry for your and your family's loss. I also live around the Omaha area and remember being so heartbroken hearing of this horrible accident since he left children at home. I also think that I remember reading that his small son was seen having a conversation with his father after he had passed. Children are more open to see spirits just as I truly believe that you have a gift and are more sensitive to these things. Maybe he just really wasn't ready to leave his family so soon, and that is why he came to you and his son. He also wanted to let you know that he loves you one last time.

Your stories never stop amazing me! Thanks for sharing them.

I will pray for you and your family to get through this.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
KimSouthO, although I am new to this site I would like to offer you my condolences. I too have lost dear friends but I firmly believe that God won`t put more on you than you can bear. Be strong and God bless you.
dia (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
My deepest sympathies on your loss. While reading through the account, I received some strong impressions - strong enough to comment on them.

The first impression I had was that he came to you because he noticed you as you passed near the accident. It was less a need for comfort or help passing, and more the driving need to impress his remorse at leaving things undone: his fare, but more importantly his family and going home. And his appearance and mannerisms were a combination of shock and not wanting to scare you when he realized you didn't know what had happened.

I also got the feeling he'd be trying to contact you again.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Kim my dear friend, my deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss. I too would not have believed this had it come from anyone but a select few, you among them. I feel that your cousin choose you because you were so close by at the time of his passing. He probably felt very confused and scaried at that time and you helped him to in some way to deal with those issues and to cross over. Thank you so much for taking the time to convey your story to us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
He wanted to let you know he loves you.That's why he talked with you.He's in heavan now, be glad for him and pray. I sincerealy know how it feels to have a loved one leave you. My friend died only 2 months ago. I had a nice chat with her not too long ago. Maybe a week ago?It's very nice to chat with our loved ones who crossed over. You can see Arnie anytime you want! Just call for him and he'll be there.
With love,
Yuki
jjjjjjj005 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Dear Kim, Thank you for sharing this experience. Please let me express my condolences to you and your family. I know how hard it can be to lose a beloved family member, and in such a sudden and tragic way, it is always worse. So I am sorry for your loss. I lost my cousin to a bad car accident when I was 9 and he was 17. My baby brother and I had been very close to our cousin so his loss was hard for us. I wrote a story on this site a while back about the experience. His name was Kenny and the story is called "My Cousin Kenny". I mention it because Kenny came to say goodbye a few days after he was laid to rest. So I can relate to your experience of your cousin appearing to you. Take it as a blessing and as a sign of your love for eachother. It is upsetting, I know, but it is also a gift. Blessings, Jeanne
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Thank you to all who have responded, and my family thanks you sincerly for the condolences.

Martin,
I understand your wanting to verify or stating the unbelivable notion of this story -- you can check into the accident, it is in the Omaha World Herald and was on KETV channel 7, was one of their main stories for several days as Arnie was a Taxi driver for Cornhusker Taxi, he was reverred among his peers. As far as my encounter with Arnie, I am afraid I have no witnesses except a cashier who was there when I asked for him, 'Jessica'. She will probably remember me asking for him. But... Who knows. Many people have a hard time with these 'encounters', that is why I came directly to this site and posted. I have read some pretty incredible encounters on this site, I believe them because people need to get this stuff out and who better to tell than those that have experienced similar occurances? This was very similar to the encouter with Julie and I had just posted that story shortly before loosing Arnie. Could that possibly have had something to so with this occurance happening, maybe I opened up myself up to this?
Very frightening, and astonishing.
I would also like to thank you for upholding my reputation on this site, as this site means the world to me. The only venue to get these 'things' out of my head and written and receive some solicited and needed advice and discussion from peers.

WhiteBuffalo,
Thanks you. I am not sure how long the shock of this occurance will stay with me, probably quite some time. It is very freaky to be truthful!

Annie,
I am truly bleassed to have ssen him! Why he choose me, I may never know. I am still so freaked and frightened by this! Thank you!

Mustang,
Thank you, I still have chills. At the funeral, I felt so disconnected as if he would sit up and talk to me at any second. He did it once, why not again...? Then, I realized he was bidding this world good bye when he spoke to me and hugged me.

I don't know why or what these 'occurances' keep happening for. It is so frightening and freaky, I sometimes wish I could shut it off or put it away or hit the hiold or something!

All of your words, advice and comfort means a lot to me,
Thanks!

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Kim, this story gave me chills just thinking about this happening to you. How heart wrenching this ordeal must be for you. I agree with Martin, if this story was written by someone else, I probably wouldn't believe it. You definitely had a telepathic connection with your cousin. I am so sorry for you and your family's loss! I'm glad you were able to see him one last time before he went 'HOME'. I feel so bad for his kids! I hope they are doing ok. Thanks for sharing your story. I would have put this under Psychic/Telepathy! ~Shelby ❤
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Kim, This is an unbelievable story! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you can at least take some comfort in the thought that you did get to "see" him one last time before he passed, and that he told you he loved you. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Wow, I can see why you are still in shock. You must have a powerful gift. I would like to express my condolences to you and your family. Thanks for the story
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
That story is really incredible (literally). It is so rich of details and is so recent, I would really have a hard time believing it if it wasn't for KimSouthO's reputation on this site! I think you must have strong psychic abilities, KimSouthO. No matter it keeps happening to you. Actually, I debated internally if I shouldn't classify that one in the psychic category. Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: