You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Arlington Court Lady In The Blue Dress

Real Ghost Stories

Arlington Court Lady In The Blue Dress

 

I was at Arlington Court which is a beautiful old house and estate in the county of Devon, England, which belongs to the National Trust with very large grounds covering hundred of acres of gardens and woods with several lakes and a carriage museum.

I was out on a walk with my wife and three young children last summer. This is at the old lake which is on the 1.5 mile circular walk away from the house. I was looking at the children when I momentarily glanced away towards the lake. I then in a split second saw a young woman, early 20s with blonde hair wearing a long pale blue dress looking out over the lake. Then she was gone. I looked back towards my wife who had a strange, surprised expression on her face. I said "wow, did you see that?" To which she replied "yes".

We didn't say any more at that time as the children were present but later on we compared notes. She described the dress as duck egg blue and she saw more - a red picnic blanket and a coach with the woman moving off between the trees. She said she had an overwhelming feeling of peace and happiness and was not at all scared or threatened. I thought the dress looked Victorian but was more simple that what I would have expected.

I later discovered that a small urn at that spot contained the ashes of the last owner of the house and this place was chosen as it was her favourite place on the estate. She lived to be an old lady dying in the 1940s, she was born in the 1860s. I later saw some photographs of her as a young woman which bore a strong resemblance to the person we saw.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Somerseter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
Somerseter
What a wonderful story. I'm glad that you and your wife both saw this woman to validate to each other what you saw. I wonder if the date that you saw her held a special meaning to her.
Regards
Red
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
Hi Somerseter,

This is such an awesome experience you and your wife shared! I wonder if anyone else has ever glimpsed her before. So great you were able to identify her with photos and learn of her history. Thanks so much for sharing.😊

Oh and about her dress being simpler than one might otherwise imagine; I *think* attire back then was typically 'day wear' and 'formal/evening wear'. So her dress may have been a less formal 'day wear' garment. However, day and evening wear were worn/owned by the upper class, more affluent, wealthy members of society. Her history seems to indicate this, along with the coach your wife saw. Really seems like you guys identified her, very cool!
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
What a lucky encounter and as Manafon1 said, how great that you and your wife both experienced it! It always helps to have at least one person share an experience like this with you to further support the event that transpired.

I hope that she is picnicking for an eternity of her own volition rather than being stuck in some sort of loop... Great read!

Thank you for sharing Somerseter. 😊
Jessie12 (21 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-16)
Wow! That is awesome! I am a paranormal investigator and right now I am in TN. So your wife didn't feel scared? Just happiness?
Was she looking out you over the lake? 😊
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-16)
Somerseter--What a great, brief encounter with an apparition. It is all the more special because your wife also caught a glimpse of the woman. She must have loved the location very much and remains etched in the fabric of the place.

Most encounters with the paranormal are much like your wonderful encounter. The briefest glimpse into another time. Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: