You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Red Eyes In The Closet

Real Ghost Stories

Red Eyes In The Closet

 

This is my first post ever. I have told very few people about this experience.

When I was 14 I lived in the country about 20 miles outside of a small town. I loved it. One night I was in bed on the verge of sleep (You know, when you are about there but you know you are still somewhat awake). I don't know what time it was, late enough for my family to all be asleep. Well I was almost asleep when out of nowhere I hear this man's voice say 1. It was loud and deep. It didn't stop at one, it started counting.

I was startled completely awake and I was looking around to find the source of the counting. The layout of my room I should point out, my bed was next to the wall by the window and at the foot of my bed was my walk-in closet. At the far wall of my closet was my dresser.

When I looked down my body and into the closet I saw a small black shape sitting on my dresser with red eyes. I could clearly see the shape and arms and legs, which they were swinging back and forth like a child would do sitting on a chair too big for them. When I saw the 'thing' I froze in absolute terror. I couldn't move, couldn't even scream. Believe me, I tried many times. The third time the 'thing' reached the end of his counting, it put its hands on the edge of the dresser and pushed off and landed on the floor. I prayed the hardest I have ever prayed in my life and was able to finally move and ran like there was no tomorrow out of my room into my sister's. I climbed into bed with her and cried my eyes out.

To this day I have no idea what that thing was or what it wanted. I have never been able to sleep with the closet door open since then. It's been almost 20 years and I'm still scarred by it. That was the first experience and the worst but since that day I have had many many more. Some in that house which we built and then in every place I have lived.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Or an idea of what it could of been?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Raygen, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

MysteryResearch (23 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
Hi Raygen,

It may be a bit late to reply, but to me this seems like it could be a normal hypnagogic experience, like sleep paralysis, or a hypnagogic hallucination.

Or the thing you saw and the thing you heard may have come from two different sources. You could have seen a reflection (did your dresser have a mirror?) with noise from another source. Not sure if this is possible from your room layout up but it could have been the reflection of a bird outside your window. Some birds have red eyes. Or there could have been a bat on your dresser? They are much more common than you would think, and are scary-looking when they crawl around.

Were you anywhere near a military base? Maybe you were getting radio frequency interference on some device (like that scene in the film This is Spinal Tap where the gear picks up radio transmissions). Only in the middle of the night for a teenager it would not have been funny, it would have been terrifying. If there were aircraft flying over, there could have also been a rumble, that caused your dresser to shake slightly, heightening the perception of something moving. Aircraft can also make low frequency noises, that can cause people to have a heightened sense of fear.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider. Whatever it was, I don't get the sense it meant you any harm.

Best to you,
MysteryResearch
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Oh my bad about the layout, I thought the foot of her bed was directly in line with her closet door in the death position so she could look into her closet to see 'it' on the dresser.

Had a room like that once - I was in the death position with the door to the hallway, my sister was in the death position with the door to the closet - nights were chaos to say the least. Hated that house.

I like the 'counting to sleep' theory, although it seems to have backfired badly. Sleep is a 'no,' but thanks anyway.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Yeah Tweed, SP is a snoozer for me too. Lol

I'd read about this creepy little thing on here before, which for some odd reason made me think of you. 😆 I think it's because your explanations for these type of things are so intriguing.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
lol Goatpuller, I was going to reply to this but the general consensus of SP made me doze off! 😲

Raygen, yeah this could be SP, but who said that can't be paranormal sometimes? When I read this I thought it was more than SP alone. The only motive I could think of was counting sheep to help you sleep. (!)
I can imagine how freaking terrifying it must have been, whilst the actions seem so innocuous and random. Maybe you literally woke up to a game of hide and seek, who knows.

Very bizarre stuff, thanks for sharing.
Oh and another thing, I think we've all had encounters that have rattled us to the point of phobia from the experience. For me it's shaking cushions. That wasn't an evil ghost either, just frightened the heck out of me. Yours may not have meant to terrify you either.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Hey Tweed! This one sounds like it's right up your alley! LOL

There should be some kind of unwritten rule about closet doors. "No Closet Door Shall Remain Open Before Crawling Into Bed!". 😆

I don't know what you saw Raygen, perhaps you were having a lucid dream but I don't really like that idea. I don't think it had anything to do with feng shui shelbyloree. She said the foot of the bed was facing the closet, not the bedroom door. Don't know if I'd go along with sleep paralysis either. I think sometimes your fully awake and just scared stiff by the reality around you.

I've read about this thing before on here but can't remember what name it was given. Tweed, and a handful of other posters are much more knowledgeable on these creepy little things.
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
Hello Raygen,

I'm not so sure you went through sleep paralyses because you said you heard the "thing" counting down. I have had sleep paralyzes not too long ago. It was similar except I had weight on my chest and could not move at all. I also tried yelling for my mom but wasn't able too. I was pin down to the bed and I didn't know if I was awake or asleep.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=23664
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
No indication of a demon, I second sleep paralysis.

What it really sounds like is very bad feng shui. Traditionally the dead are carried out of the room they die in feet first, to confuse the spirit so it doesn't return. Sleeping with a door at the foot of the bed mimics this death practice and should be avoided.

Was there something in the closet that could have had 'bad' energy attached to it you subsequently got rid of? An antique or second hand object? That could have been it too.

This comment from Monty998 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

sweetsunshine1800 (4 stories) (85 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
Hello Raygen,

Welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing your experience. What you had experienced is called sleep paralysis, its a state where your dreaming but your brain is conscious so that you don't act out on your dreams. Sleep paralysis often causes us to see shadows, creatures and all sorts of things. There are many posters on this site who could give a better perspective of these things. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Have a good day!

Best wishes and,
Regards,
Sweetsunshine1800

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: