You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Night I Met Maria

Real Ghost Stories

The Night I Met Maria

 

February 22, 1993 at 2:01 p.m., I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. I had morning sickness the entire pregnancy. I gained only 11 pounds which put me in the high risk category. Needless to say, her birth didn't go as planned.

I was induced into labor at 36 weeks because she had stopped growing. Thankfully after 4 hours of labor I delivered a surprisingly healthy baby. Three hours after delivery I started hemorrhaging severely. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low.

My husband and I were told if the bleeding didn't stop within the next few hours, I would have to have surgery. My nurse (Wendy) began giving me shots of Pitocin every 30 minutes.

After two shots nothing had changed. I couldn't focus, everything was surreal. I guess because of my low blood pressure. I remember thinking I was going to die but I was very calm. Wendy came in to let me know her shift would be over soon but someone else would come in to give me shots. (Wendy was the attending delivery nurse for 3 of my children.) She promised to come check in on me the next morning.

It was 6 O'clock in the evening when she came to my room. Her name tag read 'Maria'. (I don't remember seeing a last name on her tag.) She was a short lady, about 5 feet. She had short brown hair with gray streaks and beautiful blue eyes. She had a soft comforting voice unlike anything I've ever heard before or since. I rolled over to my side thinking she was there to give me my next shot. (Even though moments before I could not lift my arms, because I was so weak.)

She said, "Oh honey I'm not giving you a shot, you don't need another one. You're going to be just fine." She stood next to my bed smiling and rubbing my legs for a few minutes. I looked towards my husband, intending on asking him if he heard what she had said. He was laying in a chair sound to sleep. I looked at the clock, it read 6:05.

She smiled at me, patted my leg, turned towards the door, then she was gone. I didn't see her walk out the door, she just sort of vanished. I thought I might have fallen to sleep before she left the room and then woke up shortly afterwards but I looked at the clock it read 6:06.

I again looked over at my husband in hopes he would acknowledge she had really been in the room but he was still sleeping. I tried to wake him by calling his name. He didn't hear me. I picked up a thermometer from the bedside table and threw it at him. It landed on his chest. He didn't wake up.

At that moment a nurse (Sheila) walked into the room carrying the familiar needle with her. I told her I didn't need any more Pitocin. That's what the last nurse had told me. She said she was my only nurse for the night. She questioned me about the other nurse. What did she look like? Did I know her name? She looked over at the empty bassinet at the foot of my bed. She asked if my baby was in the nursery to which I replied yes. I saw the relieve wash over her face. She told me she would be back in a minute and quickly rushed out the door.

A short time later I saw her standing at my door along with 2 other nurses, they were whispering and looking in at me.

Finally they all walked into the room and came over to my bed. One nurse looked to be in her mid twenties (I cannot for the life of me remember her name), the other was surely in her fifties. Her name was Sarah.

They started to fire questions at me so rapidly it frightened me. All I could think was the lady was probably trying to kidnap my little girl. The noise of me demanding to see our baby woke my husband up. (To this day he swears he doesn't remember falling to sleep. He says he remembers sitting down in the chair, wondering why the room was suddenly freezing, the next thing he remembers there were nurses in the room, I was demanding very loudly to see our baby and he was holding a thermometer.)

They assured me my baby was in the nursery. Nurse Sarah told the younger nurse to bring E to me.

As we waited Nurse Sarah took my blood pressure. She turned to Nurse Sheila and told her to put away the syringe and call my doctor. I wouldn't be needing that shot.

She then pulled a chair next to my bed and sat down. The young nurse walked in carrying my baby. She placed her in my arms and walked out of the room.

Nurse Sarah pulled up a chair and sat down next to my bed. She sat there smiling as I looked E over. She asked if E was my first baby. When I replied fourth, she asked about my older children. Just as I was sure she was about to tell me something important my doctor came in.

When my doctor came in, he started in with his own questions but mostly they were directed at Nurse Sarah. When Nurse Sarah explained it to him, he smiled and said, "Ok then." He checked me over, told me he was simply amazed at my recovery. He said even the color had come back into my face. He stood there staring at me for a minute or so then suddenly he asked if I was hungry to which I replied 'starving'. He told me he would order a pizza on his way out.

After he left Nurse Sarah said, "I've never talked to anyone who Maria has visited." She looked closely at my face as if she was trying to decide whether she should keep talking or not.

I silently stared back at her because I knew. I don't know how or why I knew, but I knew.

Her story was that Maria had been a nurse on the maternity floor years ago.

Nurse Sarah said, "The story I've heard is that Maria got called into work one stormy night, she never made it here. The rumors are that she sometimes visits the new moms. All the descriptions of her are the same."

Nurse Sarah silently looked down at the floor. I remember thinking she was saying a prayer. Then she shook her head and said, "Who am I to question these things." I wanted to question her to find out more but I could tell she had said all she was going to. She rose from the chair, patted my leg, winked and said, "They say she only visits special people."

The next day, to everyone's surprise I was released from the hospital in excellent health. As my husband and I walked down the corridor with our baby daughter, we could feel everyone's eyes on us. Some were whispering, others were just staring. Perhaps they were thinking I was a lunatic or maybe they were wondering, "Why her?"

This story is a special part of me. I know that night I experienced something most people never do. For that I am extremely grateful. Growing up, my daughters loved this story. Especially E. When other kids would say, things such as: I weighed 10 lbs at birth, E would proudly say, I almost killed my mom.

Other hauntings by yomomma

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, yomomma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cat7777 (9 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-13)
This is my favourite story! God bless Maria. So happy everything turned out well for you ❤
Dommy321 (5 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-07)
I hear stories about people being visited ghosts of good people who helped or gave them good news.
Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-07)
Nice story. You are a lucky woman to have been saved by an Angel or whatever she was. 😊
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-05)
Hey RedWolf, Thank you for reading my story. Yes she's always had a different sense of humor.

Hi rbasireddy, thank you for reading my story. I did not ask to see a picture of Maria. In fact after describing her I didn't really talk much about her to anyone at the hospital. I just sensed that I had been told all I was going to be told.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-05)
Hi PriyankaMenon, thanks for reading and commenting on my story. I've been told I live a charmed life.
parascholar (6 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-01)
Yomomma, what a touching story. Your daughter sounds very sweet! It is not all that often that we get to read of a positive ghostly encounter. Usually, they are always full of darkness and dread!

We narrate people's paranormal experiences on our YouTube channel, and would love to be given the chance to share yours with our viewers. If you are interested, please get in touch.

With warm regards and best wishes,
The Paranormal Scholar
Theparanormalscholar [at] gmail.com
rbasireddy (11 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-30)
Yomomma, that was really a very heart touching experience. Did you check if the hospital if they had a picture of Maria which they could share with you. May be the one from her application form or as a part of joining formality. So that we can be 100% sure that it was Maria.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-30)
yomomma,

Another great story from you. You're daughter has some sense of humor. At least she went into that surgery with a good healthy attitude that everything was going to be okay. 😆

Regards
Red
PriyankaMenon (2 stories) (41 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-29)
yoyomma very nice story I like it. I mean an angel came to save you. Very few are lucky to have an angel to save you and you are one of them. Those around you were baffled the way you recovered fast.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-08-29)
Hi Spiritwaiting, Wish-Not, Allicatt, L_Melb, Manafon1, sweetsunshine1800, Seraphina, chelscp11, Tweed and BeagleMom!

Sorry I'm just now reading comments on this story. I've had my grand daughters with me so I've only had a few minutes at a time to get online.

I want to thank all of you for reading my story and for your wonderful comments. I'm glad yall enjoyed it.

Manafon1- I'm especially interested in your comment about collective telepathic transmission.

Tweed- I did not do any research on Maria until about 15 years later. I was too busy being a mom and being in awe of what happened. So far I haven't found anything on Maria. You would think someone else would have ran their mouth at some time. As for E she's my most 'colorful' child. She's been a hoot and a holler every day of her life.

When she was 13 she had spinal surgery for scoliosis. At the time she had been teaching herself to play guitar. The night before the surgery she wanted to play me a song, the first one she had learned. It was Bob Dylan's 'Knockin On Heaven's Door'. She thought it was appropriate. Haha

Again thank you all!
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-27)
Straight to my Faves with this one! I must say your tale is a wonderful one! God Bless!

❤ Mother of Beagles
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
HAHAHA oh man, Yomomma, I have a dark sense of humour and that last sentence is pure gold! Especially given the tone of the entire narrative was Kodak moment!

On a more constructive note experiences like these are awesome. Have you ever contacted the hospital since then and asked about Maria? Might be a daunting and embarrassing thing to do but from a research point of view this Maria might help crack some mysteries. Like maybe those given the Pitocin treatment all had a Maria moment. You know, data like that can open doors for all kinds of research.

Manafon raises some interesting points. It would be great if open minded members of staff at places like hospitals could keep a collective journal of odd events. Seems like a great environment with the right kind of people to get on board. (health workers are typically detail orientated) The reaction from other staff members indicates some freely shared history about Maria. Fascinating stuff!

Whatever happened it was a truly special moment. I'm exceptionally dumb to pregnancy talk but I got the impression things were 'not great' with this birth, that Maria was 'needed' here. I'm not an especially religious person, but of Maria's presence the saying 'doing God's work' springs to mind. In the non-Hollywood-psychopath context of course. 😉

Thanks as always for sharing.
chelscp11 (3 stories) (13 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-25)
Great read. Thanks for sharing. I have read other stories by you and they are all equally good. 😁
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
Another fascinating experience, artfully told! Thanks for sharing it with us, Yomomma.
Blessings,
Seraphina
sweetsunshine1800 (4 stories) (85 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
Hello yomomma,

Thanks for sharing your experience. What a beautiful read. My mum was hemorrhaging almost throughout her pregnancy. Only if a relative doc haven't told her about a special kind of medicine. My parents told me, when they did ultrasonography, they saw I was upside down. My dad was up day and night, consulting docs, everything. Last try was that he read in a book about Homeopathy, that using a certain medicine would cause me to turn. A few months later of constant medication, they again consulted ultrasonography, and I had turned! My mom had labour pains at 16 June midnight. As the hospitals were far away, they decided to leave around sunrise. They left at 4 am. The docs said my mom will have a c-section delivery at 10 pm. Then on 17 June, 2000 midnight (i. E on 18 June) at 12:02 am my mom gave birth to me through normal delivery. It feels great that Maria, visited you when you're going through life and death and probably cured you. Sounds like really you are someone special. Glad to know that you and E are healthy 😁

P.S this is going to my favs

Have a good day!

Best wishes and,
Regards,
Sweetsunshine1800
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
Hi yomamma--I found your latest account particularly interesting. There are multiple well documented cases of nurses of the apparitional variety visiting patients. What I really liked about your account is that it was in conjunction with the happy occasion of your daughters birth.

In a book I recently finished (The Unexplained: Some Strange Cases In Psychical Research by Andrew MacKenzie first published 1966) there is a chapter that focuses specifically on visitations by spectral nurses. In the six cases on appararitional nurses given in the book, all dealt with the same nurse visiting patients dying of cancer in the same hospital in the same ward.

In the cases of the cancer patients, the visitation by the nurse seemed to be in preparation of their impending deaths, as all would die within no more than three days of the visitation by the nurse.

One possible explanation, besides simply calling what you experienced an apparition, is a theory put forward by Dr. Karlis Osis who authored "Deathbed Observations By Physicians And Nurses". In this study, he is referring to terminal patients but what he writes is pertinent--"The patients were in a terminal stage, they were feeling ill and in need of comfort, although not necessarily knowing the actual nature of their illness. The nurses, on the other hand, felt intense pity towards them. A rapport was therefore set up between patient and nurse which might be the basis of a telepathic communication of the idea of the grey lady" (who was the 'nurse' described in the cases in the above mentioned book).

Whether what you experienced was a ghost or some form of collective telepathic transmission by your attending nurses is unknown. What is known is that you delivered your healthy baby and were given encouragement by a positive force. Whether living or dead remains unknown. Thanks for sharing your intense and personal story.
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
What a great read and amazing experience for you!
Thanks so much for sharing this - certainly special 😁
Allicatt (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
It sounds like you were in some special hands that night, that had to be both amazing and slightly confusing at first. Thank you for sharing this with us. 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
Going straight to mine as well Yomomma! My "LIKE" still not working so I'm throwing the heart at you ❤ ❤ ❤

Ran out of those. I really enjoy your stories!

Woo Pig!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
Going straight into my favorites!

Yomomma,
Thank you for sharing this, as this was the first experience I've read in a while.

I know all to well about high risk pregnancies. My first was high risk, because of the inability to gain enough weight during the entire pregnancy. I was tiny at that time, and all belly.

Truly terrifying experience, and yet you stayed calm throughout. You definitely had some comforting and loving help with you.

Thankful to know you and your daughter are doing well years after all of that.

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: