You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Dad is Home

Real Ghost Stories

Dad is Home

 

My dad passed away in December of 2005. He was 67 and seemed very healthy considering he was a heavy smoker. When he was taken to the hospital, he told us he knew he wasn't coming home and that he had laid out the suit he was to be buried in along with his will. I told him he was being silly and that he would be home soon. At the hospital, the Drs. told us he had severe heart blockage and would require bypass surgery immediately if he stood a chance of surviving.

Dad is Home They performed the surgery and said it went well, but he never woke up from the surgery, he lived only 2 days after. A few weeks later, we were at my mother's house for Christmas, it was my husband and me, and our 2 sons, ages 12 and 6, my brother and his wife and his 4 children and my mother. My parents loved Christmas and still treated us as though we were children. There were just tons of presents in the living room and we sat down to pass out gifts. My sister in law and nephew were elected to play Santa as we call it and they have to wear Santa hats. I was taking their picture in front of the Christmas tree and in the curtain behind the tree you can see the perfect image of my dad's silhouette in the picture.

Since that night we can hear him upstairs walking around in his bedroom and his tv will come on and there is no one upstairs. I also have smelled smoke in the living room by his recliner where he watched tv and smoked after supper. My kids say when they spend the night with my mother that my dad tells them goodnight and then you can hear him going upstairs to bed. It scares them and they don't like to go over there anymore.

As time goes on more things are beginning to happen in the house. Dad was the only one that went upstairs and since his death we rarely go up there for any reason. On occasion we have went up there to go in the attic and his toilet will flush and no one is in there. Should I just let him be or is there anything I can do to help him move on?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AmyGunn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
I liked this story. He will pass to the other side when he knows your all be okay. My Mom showed me in a mirror in my story "Haunted trailer in Michigan" when she knew we were moving from the bad place we lived at, to a place that we be safe, she let me know she was leaving. I have not seen her around since I moved to a better place. So your Dad will move on when he feels your all okay too.
AmyGunn (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-16)
Yes, we still have noises and all of our pictures from Christmas this year have a bright foggy blur or orb type object on them. They were taken with 3 different cameras, so I know its not a malfunction.
I guess we are excepting the noises and strange happenings and they are not quite as frightening as before. I go to my dad's room now and talk to him and when I do there doesn't seem to be as much activity. We have resently started cleaning out his room and remodeling it and his presence seems to be weaker now.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
I have just gotten the opputunity to view the picture. Although it is small in size, I can clearly see the image (reflection) on the curtain.

Are you still having the noises and such occur?

God Bless!
Martin (602 posts) mod
+2
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
AmyGunn has posted a new picture to her story, just wanted to point it out.
AmyGunn (1 stories) (6 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-12-14)
Naira - I have tried to talk to my kids and make them understand and they always say they do, but as soon as they experience something they are terrified. I will say things like "dad stop that, your scaring us" and it will stop for a while but will slowly start up again.
Naira (19 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
Hi! Have you talked to your dad? How did it go? I had a similar situation when my dad died, except I was very heartbroken and called for him. He comforted me, I could feel his hand on my shoulder. I will post that story later.
Also, besides talking to your dad to help him move on, you might want to talk to your children so they won't be scared...
I must tell you, I miss my dad terribly, and it helps a lot to know he can always come to comfort me when I really need him.
My love remain with all of you. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
+3
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
Hi AmyGunn, I only know of one way to post a photo with a story, there may be another, but I am virtually computer illiterate. When you get the e-mail that tells you that your story has been submitted for review, simply reply to that with the attachment of the photo enclosed.
AmyGunn (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
I have the picture but I do not know how to post it, can someone tell me how?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-11-30)
If you would like to assist your dad in cossing over, tell him that you are all doing okay, that it is alright for him to move on and find peace. Let him know that you will all see him in the future and now you wish for him to be at peace.

I would be very interested to see the picture. What a wonderful gift! To have this picture of him the Christmas after he passed on!

God Bless!
mtw2114 (1 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
My grandfather passed away when I was only 6 years old. Several times in the months that followed, I would wake up thinking that I saw him in the hallway. Each time he would look at me and smile. I would close my eyes and reopen them and he would be gone. Being 6 years old, I was very scared. I did not want to tell my Mom because she took his death hard. Well, one morning after seeing him, I decided to tell her.

So, I told her what I had seen and I started to cry. My Mom gave me a big hug and told me that she went to bed every night praying that she would see him and that I must be pretty special for him to pay a visit. She asked me to tell him that she said hello and that she loved and missed him. I told her OK.

I never saw him again. Do I think that he was real: yes. I just think he got the message from my Mom that he wanted to hear.
AmyGunn (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Thank you all for your responses. It's made me feel so much better. I've never had to deal with anything like this before, and I didn't know who to turn to. I will talk to him and hope it helps.
Annie (202 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-11-24)
What a lovely story. It's too bad that your children are frightened of their grandfather. But, I have to echo everyone else's thoughts on this one. I'm sure he'll move on when he knows that you're all doing okay. Maybe you could just ask him to try to keep silent while his grandchildren are around. I hope you get back to us with any new updates. Thanks for sharing!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Amy, thank you so much for sharing your story. I have to agree with all of the post to this story thus far. He does seem very family oriented and therefore still needs to be sure you are all ok. It is time for him to take time for himself, so to speak. Just talk to him. Tell him you love him and miss him, but it is now his time to rest. What a truly touching story.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Hi Amy. I have to agree with Shane. Your Dad is watching over you and your family and he will eventually move on. However, you should let your Dad know that you love him very much and miss him dearly but that his presence is frightening your children and he needs to go to the light. Thank for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
AMY, hi. I also think your Dad is just making sure you are all okay and keeping an eye on his family. He may be worried about you because you didn't accept it when he said he wouldn't be coming home. He sounds like a strong family man, feel comfort from his presence while he's still with you. I think you should tell your Dad that you all love him and he should pass over and be happy, be with all of the loved ones who miss him there (his own parents, siblings, etc.) I also think you should try to keep things in a positive light for your kids so they won't be afraid. Tell them that their Grandpa loved them so much that he wants to make sure they are okay, he just really misses them and he'd never do anything to hurt them. You will know if they can handle and accept something like that or not.
chunkygut1 (13 stories) (73 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Shane is giving you some good advice there Amy tell your dad that your kids are scared and I'm sure he'll stop.
After all he's probably just watching over everyone.
😁
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Amy, your dad is just watching over his family. He will more than likely move on of his own accord, but you could talk to him as if he is still alive and let him know that what he is doing is frightening the children and the rest of the family. That, although you love and miss him very much, it is time for him to be at rest. Sometimes they just need a little nudge to help them to cross over. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: