You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Wood Like Figure

Real Ghost Stories

Wood Like Figure

 

We all have our share of ghostly experiences, I'm sure none of these experiences are forgettable due to their supernatural nature but nothing in my opinion would beat the first encounter.

Mine happened 20 years ago when I was just 5 years old, in our old house. It started as an ordinary busy weekday morning for my family, all of my siblings were busy preparing for work and school while my mom was also preparing me for school. My mom and I are usually the last ones at home as my siblings leaves before 7 am while my school service arrives around 8 or 9 am.

After preparing we were outside the house waiting for my school service to arrive when my mom asked me to get the powder case from the drawer near our kitchen's entrance, I ran back inside the house to get it and on my way I saw a figure moved in our kitchen along the entrance heading towards the back door, the image was very clear as I was only about two meters away from it plus the fact that it was bright inside our kitchen. As a clueless kid, I remember prioritizing on getting the powder case as I was not startled at all upon seeing the figure. I went back to my mom then casually told her about what I saw, I can still remember the look on her face after hearing my story and that was when I felt that something isn't right.

Later that day, my mom and siblings asked me to describe what I saw, the figure looked wooden like it was almost human in shape around 5 feet in height with brown bark like skin texture all over also it was accompanied by an ordinary single flying bird (we call it pipit here in the Philippines) and the figure was hovering approximately a feet or two above the ground. They were terrified so they explained to me what I saw, and so at a very young age I came to learn about the existence of supernatural beings.

Until this day I still have no idea what kind of being I saw as it was somewhat elemental in nature. I hope that my story gets published cause I really want to share this experience of mine.

Thank you.

Other hauntings by Melovher

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melovher, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melovher (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-04)
Hi Mazz,

I really do think that it was somewhat friendly in nature, even after the trees was taken down we didn't experience any negative reaction at all. Either the creature was not connected with those trees or it simply was benevolent.
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-02)
Ahoy Melovher,

This is the first time I've ever heard of a spirit like that over here, and I find this surprising, because big trees in our country's stories are usually bad news (I recall a haunting of a family friend). Chances are likely you were looking at something old that lived on your property, and decided to go for a walk with his buddy. I agree that your family reacted too negatively to your story. Personally, I think that that being was benevolent and passing through.

Kababayan,
Mazz
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-30)
Greetings, Melovher.

Something about the bird in this narrative was bothering me, so I apologize for responding later than I intended to. The pipit is a fairly common group of related birds throughout the Pacific region. I was trying to remember where I'd read of birds being companions other spirits; a few years ago, during an elective class I'd called "Myths & Monsters," my students became more interested in mythical creatures and cryptids of the South Pacific, so I'd done some reading about this topic so they could learn more.

It took a me a while to find the right book because I moved recently, and half of my research collection is still in boxes. Are you familiar with the mythical wakwak? This is the name for a real bird species, too, but there are Philippine myths of a bird which accompanies other spirits as a scout, a guide, or -in some cases- an alternate form of the spirit. The sound of the wakwak allegedly indicates the presence of a dangerous spirit, such as the aswang, the manananggal, an unglu, or an ungo.

I want to stress that I do not believe it was something demonic which was going to eat any of your family members; however, these legends would explain your family's horrified reaction to your description. I agree that you saw something "elemental in nature, a woods sprite/creature" such as one of the Diwata, or a Kapre (which I thought was also accompanied by bird/spirits, but I can't find the source for this idea).

I'm glad that your family was open to the idea of explaining the presence as a supernatural one, but they may been more fearful than was necessary for the situation. None of them had seen it, and you described a legendary being about which you knew nothing at that time; that would make it more difficult for anyone to remain calm.

Best,
Biblio.
astrangegirl (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-28)
I liked your story. I have never seen any supernatural beings in my life but have had one or two experiences that I have found unexplainable. I believe that there are lot of things that go beyond our knowledge and that children being innocent are more prone to have an encounter with these things.
Melovher (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-28)
[at] tweed

The bird in my story seemed calm, like it was simply accompanying the figure. It definitely looked like an ordinary bird and yes there have been times that birds get in the house through the windows (chimneys are not a common thing in the Philippines).

I'm not sure as well as to why there was a bird but it definitely was there, like I said the figure in my story is probably elemental in nature, a woods sprite/creature maybe.
Melovher (2 stories) (3 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-10-28)
[at] sds

Yes, it sure was a long time ago, my family never mentioned seeing such figure in our old house but they did have other unexplained experiences tho they may not be related with what I saw...

Our old house then was an old ancestral house inherited by my mom from her in laws, on the lot behind the house were two enormous tamarind trees (actually there are 4 but the other 2 was outside our walls) and there were a lot of stories of sightings related to those trees. Both of the 2 trees inside our lot have been taken down a couple of years ago as one started wilting after being struck by lightning and the other one was in the way for the construction of our new home (where I live now).
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-27)
Hi Melovher,

I wonder what was up with the bird. 😕 How was the bird behaving, did it seem scared or calm? How close was the wood like figure to the bird?
Do you have an open chimney? When I was a kid occasionally a bird would fly around the house. They'd come in through the chimney. Goodness knows why a bird would want to venture down a chimney but some did, always a blackbird from memory.

I wondered if the bird was actually not a ghost, and your wood figure was reacting to it's presence, maybe attempting to help the bird. Or maybe at some point in your home's history birds got in the house from time to time. Do you know how old that house is?

A wood type figure floating in the kitchen with a bird. 😕 😕 Yep. The things ghosts get up to when no one's around.

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed this.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-26)
Hello Melovher, thanks for sharing your experience. That was quite a long time ago when you first had your sighting. But, apart from their reactions, did you ask them if they had seen that figure what you described or did any one of them, your mother or siblings, had any experience or encounter in that house. If so, please do share with us. And what was the history of the house? Did you try to probe later, I mean after you started believing in paranormal?

Please do respond.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: