You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Apartment In Southern California

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Apartment In Southern California

 

This series of events happened in Southern California between 2000 and 2003. During that time my wife and I were living in an apartment building, while she was going to medical school.

As I reflect back on my time in that apartment, I firmly believe that it held an otherworldly presence. Whether that presence was benign or not, I can't really tell. I can only judge the incidents as they occurred.

The first of which was a string of night terrors I had while living there. Most of the terrors were centered on one central theme. Animals or insects moving under the bed sheets with me. On more than one occasion, I woke up from a bad dream, with the sensation of either snakes or rats crawling around my legs. I had the same experience with spiders. Almost every time I would wake up in a cold sweat, panicking, as I bolted off the bed. My poor wife was just as scared, as she tried to comfort me. I could almost dismiss these incidents as stress, causing me to have bad dreams, but they weren't the only strange phenomenon to occur.

Besides the night terrors, I often woke up with the feeling that someone had broken into the apartment. I can't really explain it, but somehow I sensed that someone else was in the apartment with us. At the time, I usually interpreted it as a break in. But in retrospect, I think it was a spirit.

The incident would always play out the same way. I would be fully awake, in bed, as I listened to the sounds carefully in the apartment. I always felt like there was an intruder. It usually resulted in me rushing out of the bedroom, into the living room, where I thought I might come across a burglar. But there was never anybody there. The door was locked and hadn't been forced open. The place seemed to be secure. I usually shrugged it off as my imagination. But later, I attributed that feeling to something else, as the incidents escalated.

One of the strangest incidents I ever encountered, occurred in that apartment. Basically I was lying in bed, fully awake again. At some point I noticed movement near the door of the bedroom. It was dark at the time, but essentially I saw a black shadow moving across the room. It traveled from the bedroom door to the bathroom. The bathroom door was open at the time and the shadow appeared to walk inside. At first I assumed it might have been my wife. But as I looked over to my right, I could see her sound asleep. What I had really seen was as a shadow figure. But not only had I seen it, I could also hear it. As it moved through the room, I could hear the sound one might make as they walk across a carpeted floor.

Interestingly, I wasn't scared when I saw it. By that time, I was becoming used to the strange occurrences and I just chalked it up as another one. But there was still one incident that creeps me out, even today.

While we were living there, we had a futon couch in the living room. It wasn't particularly comfortable to sleep on. But I was trying to sleep on it anyway, as I was too lazy to go to bed after watching TV. At one point I was half awake. I was having a hard time getting to sleep, let alone staying asleep. But in my half-awake state, I could hear a woman's voice. I began to come around as I looked over to the bedroom door. As I did, I saw the blurred image of a woman saying something to me, as she walked towards me. She was mostly white in appearance and I couldn't make out any details on her face. Again, I thought maybe it was my wife, trying to tell me to go to bed. But as the image approached me and bent down to talk to me, it slowly faded away.

I sat on the futon for several seconds flabbergasted, trying to interpret what I had just seen. What was she saying to me and why couldn't I understand her? I was a bit freaked out after that and promptly rushed off to the bedroom. I never saw that woman again.

I also recall having a sinister night terror, separate from the others. It basically involved a man wanting to hang himself in our bedroom. I had no idea who the man was. But even when he was hanging himself, he still talked to me. I can't remember what he said. But it was more of a taunting tone, rather than a plea of mercy. Like he wanted me to watch him hang himself on purpose, just to terrorize me.

When I woke up, the image was burned into my mind. I remember thinking about it for several days. But it occurred at the end of our stay in the apartment. By that time, I wasn't as disturbed by the dreams. I tried to ponder what they meant. And the only conclusion I could come up with was, there must be a presence surrounding that place, that occasional tapped into me. Sometimes it was benign and other times it was malicious.

After three years of living there, my wife finally finished her training and we moved away. It wasn't until later that I began to piece things together. The night terrors, the sense of a break in, the shadow figure, the white lady, that place was haunted. By who or what, I don't know. But for some reason, only I seemed to pick up on it. My wife never did. Or if she did, she never voiced it to me. But like all hauntings, these things didn't occur on a daily basis. Sometimes weeks or months would pass before something else would happen. That's one of the reasons why it's not always easy to attribute paranormal activity to a haunting.

I have sensed strange activity at other points in my life. But these were the main ones that stood out to me in that particular apartment. It feels strange to admit it, but yes, that place was haunted. And with all the comings and goings of people in a place like that, it's hard to know who the ghosts were and what their motivations are. Perhaps I was only catching glimpses of them. And maybe some of them felt compelled to harass me. But whatever the case may be, I now understand that there's a spiritual world around us.

Other hauntings by Always-Wondering

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Always-Wondering, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
Maybe the spirits weren't attached to the building but the land itself. It could be that the area in which the building was constructed had a sacred or ritual significance to the Native Americans in the area - perhaps they sensed elemental or spiritual activity there. It could be that whatever resided in that space feels it can lord over the building. In many non-Christian religions, gods and goddesses (and other entities) are not perfect and strictly benevolent - they have very human foibles and flaws - meaning they can have 'moods' too and some are reported to be quite mercurial. It could be that this place is under the influence of some sort of earth spirit (or spirits) that has its way with any resident sensitive enough to detect its presence. It could also be a 'soft place' where the line between the world if the living and that of the dead is a bit fuzzy allowing a grab bag of entities to pop through now and then. And, then again, it could be all or none of the above. (Sorry, I know that's not terribly helpful lol)

You mentioned your roommate was in med-school, no med school is complete without a cadaver lab - maybe the roommate was unwittingly bringing hangers on home with her - that would certainly explain the unpredictable variety of entities you experienced.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-30)
Greetings from Nor-Cal Always-Wondering and welcome to YGS!

This was a good read and I love your no fear attitude. I'm wondering if the night terror you had about the hanging man wasn't more of a vision type thing that could possibly have really happened at one time.

I agree with lady-glow. I think you're probably more sensitive than your wife but I do hope you share everything with her. Communication is so very important in any relationship and it builds support. Something that will eventually be needed should these type of occurrences happen again.

Take care, thanks for sharing and do share more! 😊
Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-30)
Thanks, Wish-Not

I actually have had other experiences besides the ones at this apartment. Most of them were minor. But whenever they happen now, I just chalk them up as another paranormoral experience. I don't actively seek them out. But for some reason, I witness them from time to time. Most of them don't bother me.

I would say that particular apartment had two switches. A good switch and a bad switch. I never knew which one I was going to get.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-29)
Always-Wondering- That was a great read. Thanks for sharing!
As lady-glow mentioned, you might be more sensitive than your wife. Which might have been a blessing for her. Of all the things my wife and I have been through, she never, never experienced anything on her own. She only was a witness when she was with me. She thinks it's a blessing 😆.
Again, thanks for sharing. Would love to read about anymore experiences if you have some.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-29)
Always-Wondering,

I truly enjoyed reading this.
Sounds oh so familiar as far as a lot of us just chalk it up to another experience or occurrence in the home.
I tend to do that a lot, but I write everything down after I inspect what needs to be.
Maybe the spirit lady was bending down to tell you to go to bed 😊.

Or maybe trying to warn you of the other spirits around. Who knows... But creepy none the less!

The way you described everything, it wasn't hard to visualize everything you have written here.

Thank you for sharing
Spiritwaiting
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-29)
Hi AlwaysWondering,

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the way you told these experiences. You must have reflected a lot on these events over the years and it shows in how you relate to them now. As Lady Glow said, the place seemed pretty active. It felt to me these were mostly past events you were picking up on. But that these events must have felt very present day to the ghosts involved.
Really wish I had something more substantial to say, alas I don't! But wanted to thank you for sharing. 😊
Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-28)
Thanks lady glow.

I didn't know much about the area at the time. But the location was Pomona CA. I do know that Pomona was strongly considered by Walt Disney when he was looking for a place to build Disneyland. But the people living there denied it at the time. They thought it would bring in too much unwanted traffic.

The apartment complex was also close to Route 66.

There were native Americans living around the area before European settlers arrived.

As far as tragedies go, I could never find one specific to the apartment. But my thought was, maybe some of the activity was by people who lived there in the past. They simply returned to a familiar place.

One tragedy did occur while we were living there though. The complex caught fire. Several units were damaged. Nobody died as far as I know.

Interestingly, my wife had a friend going to medical school with her. She also lived at the apartment. She had to leave school due to personal reasons. This happened before the fire broke out, so she had already moved away. But the apartment she was living in was one of the units that was damaged by the fire. That was a bit eerie.

Beyond that, I worked swing shift during those years. So I usually got home around midnight. I often stayed up late to unwind for awhile. I actually hurt my foot once, after one of the night terrors and stubbed my toe. I was in pain for several weeks.

I also heard sounds occassionally. Mostly at night. But during the day too.

The lady looked like she was wearing either a dress or a night gown. Her hair was dark like my wife's. When she spoke, it wasn't sinister. It was a friendly tone. I just couldn't understand her. Although her pitch was strange. Kind of high. I thought it was creepy at the time.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-28)
Welcome to YGS.
It seems to me like there was a lot of activity in that place, as for your wife not experiencing anything it might be because you are more sensitive than she is or, perhaps, because she assumed you would think she was "loosing her marbles" if she had shared her experiences with you.

Do you know anything about the history of the place and the area where it stands? Was it an old building? Do you remember anything about the attire of the lady that could suggest the period when she lived?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, it is very interesting and well written.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: