You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: F St. Victorian, Eureka, California

Real Ghost Stories

F St. Victorian, Eureka, California

 

When we were first married in 1966, we moved to Eureka for college. Our apartment was on the ground floor, (front 4 rooms) of a Victorian "mansion". I always called it a Victorian tract house because of there being a short row of them, all alike, on F street. The house was stately in its day, and was restored outside but split into 4 apartments. I had always dreamed of living in a Victorian, due to the fact that I grew up in one of the stucco, mid-century modern homes that proliferate Southern California. Newly married, living on the coast in a Victorian, life was good.

The apartment was comfy with nice high ceilings. Our bedroom was in the very front with it's bay window beginning right next to the front porch. Our living room was directly behind the bedroom, with its bay window to the side of the house. Our front door was the only one in the home's original foyer. It was just past the stairway, with the little triangular closet under the stairs at right angles to our front door. It probably was a pocket door once. Now a builder grade wall closed up the space with an ordinary door. The landlord had built a glass block partition in the kitchen to make an "entry hall", so we felt like our doorway was on its own. The kitchen was the biggest room of them all, a short utility hallway (which housed the huge unlovely water heater and some shelves) came off of it. A small bathroom was off of the utility hallway, and that was our apartment. Unfortunately, Green Linoleum must have been on sale, because the entry hall, kitchen, utility hallway and bath all sported the stuff. Short cotton shag rug in dark green was in our living room and bedroom. We were lucky to have a nice original fireplace in the living room, but sadly, there was a heating unit jammed into it. But its deep green tile was original. Bitter with the Sweet! I nestled our belongings in and found homes for all of our wedding presents. We made the usual college bookcase of cinder blocks and wood shelving, put our 19" B&W TV on my cedar chest and made ourselves a home.

Hubby had classes most of the day every day, and had found himself a job at a bowling alley fixing the machines when they stop working during league play. I pounded the streets looking for work, hoping I'd be able to find a job and start taking classes myself.

Being alone in the house creeped me out from the beginning. I put it down to being away from family and friends, and a little lonely being by myself most of the time. I had that feeling of being watched in the living room and there was just something about the utility walkway that bothered me big time. I would rush through trying to avoid whatever there was lurking there. A few months came and went, I soon became acquainted with that old "Disappearing and Reappearing Object" game that goes on. My husbands things were never touched, but my belongings were victims of the game. Usually I would find whatever I missed, right where I left it, a day or two later. You know how it goes.

Spring break rolled around and we decided to make the trek back to So Cal to visit. I was missing my folks, siblings and friends, so this was an extremely good thing. We enjoyed ourselves and were even happy to be back to Eureka when the time came. After we arrived home, I knew something was up. Having long hair, I owned 4 or 5 hair brushes. I took only one with me, and on our return, I discovered they were all missing! We searched all of the rooms but found nothing. A few days later I wanted to bake my husband a Birthday cake. I went to the book shelf, and all of my cookbooks was missing! Hair brushes, now cookbooks? We looked everywhere, but they were gone! (And they remained gone forever). We checked the lock, it looked fine and didn't show signs of a break in. Then we tried all of the windows (all were painted shut). A call to our landlord yielded no leads. He said no one in the house complained of prowlers.

After that it seemed I would hear voices when I was alone in the house, but perhaps they belonged to the neighbors. The walls were not sound proofed, and I could never be sure if the voices were real or not. Then a tapping sound began outside on the stoop in front of the house. It sounded like someone with a cane was tapping the sidewalk and scraping it on the concrete as they walked. I peeped out of the window in the bedroom, and never could see a thing. It would happen about every week or so, but then it started to come up the wooden steps to the house. Each time it happened, it was louder and more scary. Sometimes I heard the cane rap on the front door, with no one there. The back neighbors on the ground floor couldn't hear anything. The upstairs couple never heard a thing either. My Husband thought I was just imagining things. I would get so worried that I would hear it again, I would take a bath, wash and set my hair and fall asleep with my portable hair dryer running, (the kind with a hose and plastic "Bonnet") blocking out all sound but its hum until my hubby came home.

When we moved out at the end of the school year, we took jobs in Redding, Ca. For the summer. Our apartment there was blissfully quiet! At the end of the summer, we moved back to Eureka, guess what house was the ONLY one we could afford! (The rent went down by $20 - A month!)

This is long enough, so I will continue the saga another time for the second year in our creepy Victorian!

Other hauntings by BeagleMom

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BeagleMom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-26)
BeagleMom - I read your account after I had just joined and can't think for the life of me why I didn't comment on it at the time! (Sorry, I had a peek at your profile page through curiosity to make sure that I had read all your posts, which I had, and decided to comment on this one.)

Green linoleum? It sounds dreadful but linoleum was in fact very popular in the 60s. I know that the house I was raised in had linoleum downstairs, together with a few scattered mats. Not so weird at that stage 😆. Nevertheless, I too would have been attracted to a Victorian home.

Your experiences there remind me so much of things that I experienced, including the missing items which resurfaced. I'm planning to post that sometime soon.

However, you promised to post more episodes which you experienced in that home. Where are they?! Don't keep me and others in suspension - please publish!

And wow - you mentioned the curlers and plastic bonnet in a comment to one of my stories and it made me laugh again 😆

This is going to my faves - I can relate. Please let us know about the follow-up.

Regards, Melda
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-01)
BeagleMom,

Great story! I'm anxiously waiting for you to post more of your experiences!

I can totally relate regarding the unexplainable noises and the missing personal belongings.

Thanks for sharing and I will be looking for part 2 of your creepy Victorian living!

Enlightened
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-24)
Babygoatpuller,
Oh! I thought you were disappointed by the lameness of the haunting! LOL! If MY house had been split up into apartments and decorated so horribly I would haunt it myself!

H2olily,
Thank you for reading my tale! When I googled the address just a few weeks ago, I noticed that it looks nice these days. It is painted a blue grey, in the 60's it was yellow with black trim! YUK!


Mother of Beagles
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-22)
Excellent account, thank you. My family lives in NorCal so I enjoyed. Even the descriptions of the rooms were interesting, green linoleum and shag carpeting were de rigeur in the late 60s, early 70s when I was a kid. Disappearing cookbooks, that is unacceptable. Explainable as pranks or gaslighting, but not likely...
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-22)
Sorry BeagleMom. I was referring to the description of the old Victorian. I love the style of them and wasn't even imagining it had been renovated. Hence the "aw heck".

The rest of it was very intriguing and I can't wait to hear more. 😊
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-20)
Kest and Babygoatpuller,

Thanks for reading the beginning of my F Street Victorian. There is more to tell, I just wanted to set the scene with a little background. Most of what happened there was just puzzling and unnerving. I did warn you, Babygoatpuller, that there was no chain dragging going on!

Kest, This Victorian was not my dream house, but I did love it until it started creeping me out!


Mother of Beagles
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-20)
I couldn't wait to hear about the old Victorian BeagleMom. Then, the more I read about it, the more I went, aw heck! 😆

Interesting accounts though and I agree with Tweed. Most likely an old biddy. I mean, what kind of burglar would burgle hair brushes and cookbooks!?

Don't take to long for the next one!
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-20)
I can't wait to hear more about your experiences in this house! I always dreamed of owning a Victorian, but my dream house instead turned out to be a house about 20 years old (and ghost free unlike some other homes I have lived in).
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
Seraphina,

Thank You! I poured all of the details into this story, so I could write the other parts with less narrative about the house. It was a love hate relationship with it!

Be Well,

Mother of Beagles
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
Hi Orangepulp!
Love your name!
Isn't it crazy? To this day I have objects disappear some come back to me days later, some never. I lost a diamond ring and a moonstone ring. I didn't loose them, they Lost Me! I am methodical in putting my jewelry away They were just gone when I went to wear them again.
I WANT THEM BACK! (Just in case anyone is listening...lol). Thanks for reading my story. There will be more about this house!


Mother of Beagles
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
BeagleMom, I really enjoyed reading your story. Wonderful details!
~Seraphina
Orangepulp123 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
Hey there! I loved your story. I had experienced it before when I rented a small room 2years ago. I've noticed my things we're gone but no prowlers reported or even a sign of a break in. After few days it will re-appear I was thinking maybe I just couldn't remember where I put it since I'm a bit forgetful due to stress and anesthesia since I was a kid also that time I was on leave due to a minor operation but got a major anesthesia injected to me. So I guess it's just me. But one day I couldn't find one of my belongings (sorry can't remember what is it anymore I think that was a hair clip or something) then after few seconds it was there right in front of me. So I feel like aha! What we did for those happenings is we just cursed them and tell them to go away! After that it never happen again. 😁
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-19)
RC Ruskin, Your last thought cracked me up! That is just what we thought ourselves. The neighbors to the rear on the bottom floor measured their rooms after a long conversation, they thought there might be a hidden room or something, we measured too. Then we measured the outside of the house... No real discrepancy. Perhaps just a bit for the fireplace chimney chases. I also inspected the wall paneling, it, like the windows were covered with paint. No secret panels were found...

Tweed, I always had the idea that there was male spirit. You are probably right, I will post a few more stories from this house that will prove whomever it was, desperately wanted me to appear incompetent!

Argette, You and Tweed are probably right about the spirit being feminine! Funny I thought a man... Makes more sense that it was a woman!

DirtCreature, Our landlord loved the dang house! He would putter in the yard and fix stuff outside, even though he lived blocks away. He didn't, however, bat an eye when I would tell him of the ghostly goings on! Oh! And I am glad to find another Beagle-Maniac!

I will post a few more stories about this house. A Christmas tale, and a tale of the upstairs!


Beagle Mom
DirtCreature (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
I love your story so much Beaglemom:) (Also I love beagles as well. They are such amazing doggies.)

I lived in an apartment that was built in the super early 1900s and it was haunted as well. Even the landlord didn't like working there because of it.

Can't wait for part 2.
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
I had the same thoughts as Tweed. Hairbrushes and cookbooks? A feminine spirit with a touch of jealousy. Can't wait to hear more.

Well written account!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
Hi BeagleMom,

Lordy me, sounds like this place was haunted by some old biddy who made it her business to make you seem incompetent! Think about it, missing hair brushes, missing cookbooks right when you're about to use them, what sounds like a cane rapping on the door. Eurgh!

Thanks for sharing. 😊
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
Please don't delay too long with the next installment.

I love Victorians too, lovely eccentricity, and it breaks my heart to see them being broken up into apartments, having their character stripped from them.

Certainly some interesting, suspected ghostly behavior here: tappings, wrappings, scrapings and missing things. That no one reported prowlers is intriguing to me and my first thought was that one of the tenants was the prowler. If the landlord saved money on ugly linoleum, what else was money saved on?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: